Story Discussion: Dark Horse readers only [NO SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Instead of getting rid of the Berserker Armor, I think Guts will conquer it and be able to use it without losing control of himself. Maybe he'll master this in Elfhelm?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Child in the Moonlight or whatever DH calls it.

The Boy in the Moonlight, which is also what we call it.

Rhombaad said:
Instead of getting rid of the Berserker Armor, I think Guts will conquer it and be able to use it without losing control of himself. Maybe he'll master this in Elfhelm?

Hmm, somehow I doubt he'll ever be able to truly conquer it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Maybe just enough so that he's not a danger to his friends?

The way I see it, if he's going to keep using the armor, there'll always be a danger. Always. It's in its nature, in the way it works. They might add more charms to it in Elfhelm and maybe he'll train himself to stay in control and all that, but even then, he'll be at risk. It's inevitable. And it also wouldn't be very interesting as far as storytelling goes if a simple trick was enough to remove every downside while keeping all the advantages. Becoming a danger to himself and his friends while being able to fight against impossible odds is what the armor is all about.

Not to mention what the Beast of Darkness recently told him in episode 290. Hardly feasible without the armor's help.

Guts endangers his life by using the armor, but also endangers his life by not using the armor. I honestly have no idea what Guts's fate will be at the end of this series. He has a pattern of surviving extraordinary circumstances that no human should ever encounter, and also has a pattern of recklessness. Yet he couldn't have won much of his fights without being reckless, so not being reckless is just reckless. And it's not like he can opt out of fighting anymore. Monsters will try to kill him if he stays and monsters will try to kill him if he goes towards Elfhelm. He really has no safe option.

And seriously, what's cooler than a giant, fire breathing crystal dragon?

Gobolatula said:
The first time I was introduced to the armor, I thought, "HOLY SHIT, NOW IT'S GONNA GET GOOD!" Growwwlllll...
You read the series for 26 volumes without thinking it was good? :???: ... :ganishka: ... :daiba:

Anyway, Volume 28's great stuff. I love the Moonlight Child part... Or... Child in the Moonlight or whatever DH calls it.
I wish we had a more definitive name for him and even Guts and Casca's kid, who everyone calls "demon child" but that doesn't really capture everything about thim to me..... I think we should just call him what he is, Guts and Casca's son, or in short -- "their estranged child."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Kalie Ma said:
I wish we had a more definitive name for him and even Guts and Casca's kid, who everyone calls "demon child" but that doesn't really capture everything about thim to me..... I think we should just call him what he is, Guts and Casca's son, or in short -- "their estranged child."

Well we do have definitive names. We've been using "demon child" because of the title of episode 92 (in which he is introduced): 幼魔. We could say "evil child" as well. As for the boy that appeared on the beach, again, he's named after episode 238's title. The "moonlight boy" or "boy in the moonlight" are fine names for now.

However it's not just berserk volume 30.

If you noticed Since volume 5 or so, all Berserk volumes had 11 episodes in them. And an episode can range from 20-24 pages or so. Volume 21 was the last volume to contain 11 episodes. Every volume since has only has 10 episodes. Volume 22 is thinner than Volume 21 for this reason. However starting with volume 30 it seems Dark Horse is using a thinner type of paper to print their volumes now. It still have 10 episodes like every volume since 22. I believe all but one or two of the episodes are only 20 pages long, (about as short as an episode gets) the book isn't more than 10 pages or so shorter than most of the recent volumes.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Well, I compared my domestic 30 to my Japanese 30 and let out a sigh of relief. It slightly cheeses me off that Volume 30's skinniness makes it look slightly wonky in comparison to the other Dark Horse Berserk books, but, hey... As long as I can hold it in my hand and read it in English whilst I take a shit, then I'm a happy man.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
If you noticed Since volume 5 or so, all Berserk volumes had 11 episodes in them. And an episode can range from 20-24 pages or so. Volume 21 was the last volume to contain 11 episodes. Every volume since has only has 10 episodes. Volume 22 is thinner than Volume 21 for this reason.

It started with volume 9, actually.

Jaze1618 said:
the book isn't more than 10 pages or so shorter than most of the recent volumes.

Volume 22 and volume 30 have 228 pages, volume 21 and 33 have 244. For reference: http://skullknight.net/manga/

Aazealh said:
It started with volume 9, actually.

Volume 22 and volume 30 have 228 pages, volume 21 and 33 have 244. For reference: http://skullknight.net/manga/

hmm that's strange my copy of 30 starts with the last episode starting on page 189. I haven't counted the pages so maybe the last episode is 39 pages long making it in total 228. I'm just sad it seems shorter than normal to me. But I am happy for being able to read it woot!

But anyhow I'm glad they have a boat hope they get to it. Kushan magic is a bitch I'm surprised this tactic is not used against Griffith I forgot the book in which Griffith first fought against them but it only seemed like he would win since his generals are all apostles. Forgot the Kushan ruler's name was but he seems different than the other apostles almost god-like.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
hmm that's strange my copy of 30 starts with the last episode starting on page 189.

It starts on page 194 in the Japanese edition. But that doesn't necessarily mean much. For example, Dark Horse might have removed the transitions pages or something like that. And keep in mind not all pages in a volume are part of an episode. The ads at the end and even the white pages count.

Breed1Ghost said:
I haven't counted the pages so maybe the last episode is 39 pages long making it in total 228.

Haha no, it's not 39 pages long.

Breed1Ghost said:
Forgot the Kushan ruler's name was but he seems different than the other apostles almost god-like.

Ganishka.

No ads at the back of Vol 30. I'm just gonna assume its thinner for more cost effective reasons. Ganishka thank you, hes a tough bastard but I am wondering why he as well is not with Griffith? since he collected apostles like Pokemon.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
Ganishka thank you, hes a tough bastard but I am wondering why he as well is not with Griffith? since he collected apostles like Pokemon.

Well if you've read volume 27 you should know. He's a great emperor. He doesn't want to serve someone else.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just picked up books 29 and 30 and yea 30 is way thinner than the others. I'd say like a sixth shorter. I guess its just the way the books will be from now on from the how the paper is. No big deal though. Maybe I'll find something more to bitch about when I actaully read through them :guts:

Perhaps a translation guru can weigh in on this....what is the correct name for the third episode of volume 5?

In the Dark Horse edition, the table of contents reads "A Wind of Swords" while the title on page 83 says "The Wind of Swords."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
OmegaSeamaster said:
Perhaps a translation guru can weigh in on this....what is the correct name for the third episode of volume 5?

In the Dark Horse edition, the table of contents reads "A Wind of Swords" while the title on page 83 says "The Wind of Swords."

In Japanese there is no indication of plural and no articles. So it really doesn't matter whether DH uses "a" or "the". The line simply refers to the movement of air that is created when someone wields a sword. But that's just the literal meaning. It's originally a Chinese expression that is actually a lot more profound than that. The sword's wind can refer to the swordsman's life or to his journey, even to his fighting style. There's really a lot of ways to interpret it.

Th3Branded0ne said:
I"ll go with what we have in the encyclopedia here, which is "Wind Sword" check it out here http://www.skullknight.net/manga/index.html

It's "Sword Wind", not "Wind Sword"... If you post to inform people please at least make sure you give out correct information.

For some reason that episode always felt really sad to me. The golden age arc had some of my favorite episodes and knowing that Griffith was a knight made it feel like the Band Of The Hawk was less of a family and more of a mercenary group.

Guts always has a life saving trick up his sleeve. It was great seeing him use Dragon Slayer as a lightningrod! In 31

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Rereading the part where
Guts and Zodd combo attack Ganishka
again in print was so awesome that it awakened my inner beast! :chomp:

Is Guts still bothered by pain when the top of the Berserkers armor is down? In one of the more recent volumes (28-30) he was thinking to himself (when the top was down) about how much of the armors power he was using to prevent the pain from his injuries from bothering him but in 31 when Ganishka shocked him he looked like he was in a lot of pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom