Net addiction & Web rage

i read this a few days ago yea its odd but im sure its not the first 'web-rage' in the UK, ive read plenty of ebay related 'debt collection' where people have been ripped off so appeard at the other partys houses for their money back.

also with websites like whois.com its very easy to find out someones address, even given their firstname/surname/town its possible to find them just using the phone book.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The media's only realizing NOW that people are addicted to the internet? Jesus, I had a $780 bill one month in 1996, back when AOL still charged by the hour. (Had to sell my Sega CD and then some to pay it off :judo: ... oh who am I kidding :ganishka: ).

Since then the internet has become quicker, richer in content and more accessible because of technology such as wireless.
Actually, I spend less time on the net now that I have a super-fast connection. I'm also so old and cranky, I only go to about 3 sites a day ("I've seen it all, folks").

Of course, there may be other mitigating circumstances, such as having a full-time job and living with my girlfriend. Do any of these internet addiction clinics hand out jobs and girlfriends? It's a pretty good solution if you ask me.

This is bullshit. I can't believe someone posted this.

Fuck this and fuck you all!
"Sir what is the purpose of your visit to the USA, business or pleasure? - Unfinished business, but I think I'll take pleasure in it." *stares blankly while stroking the pickaxe* :guts:
Do any of these internet addiction clinics hand out jobs and girlfriends? It's a pretty good solution if you ask me.
Ah, jobs and girlfriends, is there anything it cant solve?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
See, this is why I didn't use my real name when dealing with Chris Warner; he might come to my house, avoid answering questions in person, eat my food, and drink all my liquor.

And because I was joking with Rane on a message board where this sort of thing goes on everyday.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I only go into a fit of retard rage when im playing games whether they are online or on a counsole. Them fucking games and everyone but me cheats! I SHOT A FUCKER IN THE FACE... mind you IN THE FACE WITH A SHOTGUN and he knifed me in 1 hit. What the shit is that crap?! :puck:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
zooty said:
i read this a few days ago yea its odd but im sure its not the first 'web-rage' in the UK, ive read plenty of ebay related 'debt collection' where people have been ripped off so appeard at the other partys houses for their money back. also with websites like whois.com its very easy to find out someones address, even given their firstname/surname/town its possible to find them just using the phone book.

Yeah, and in Korea there have been murders and organized assaults because of MMORPGs (Lineage). "You steal my sword of uberness +15? I'll KEEL U!!" And with huge networks like MySpace developing themselves and acquiring more popularity, it won't be long before people can trace you down with a simple cellphone picture. Once again, that's already how it goes in more technologically advanced countries. You're a jackass in the subway? Alright, 3 people take your picture with their 2 megapixels phones, internet detectives find your online and real life identity, and the harassment begins.

In this day and age people have to be really naive to think they're completely anonymous and can do whatever they want without consequences. I find such happenings scary rather than humorous though, and I doubt this is the last time we hear about one. There'll be more and more as time goes by.

As for the Internet addiction thing, I find it a bit controversial. What defines an addict? That he's bothered if he can't check the Internet for a week? Because that sounds like everybody. If they want to study this phenomenon, I think it needs to be put in parallel to TV addicts or cellphone addicts.

People don't realize it, but even before the Internet you never really were anonymous. If I know somebody's name I can go down to the county's recorder office, look up their tax records and find out where they live. Same if they have a homestead or whatever. All of that is public record... kind of scary when you think about it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
And with huge networks like MySpace developing themselves and acquiring more popularity, it won't be long before people can trace you down with a simple cellphone picture.
Just last week here at the paper, a 14-year old killed his twin brother over a pack of bubble gum. When the story broke, all we had was where the kids lived, their age, and that in high school, the kid's nickname was "G-Unit." That combo of information, we got their names through the killer's MySpace account, in which he calls himself "G-Unit", displaying a picture of his "6-pack."

Thanks, MySpace. Your disturbing networking power and iron grasp on teenagers personal lives was useful, for once.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Thanks, MySpace. Your disturbing networking power and iron grasp on teenagers personal lives was useful, for once.

You know something is wrong when a real newspaper is using MySpace as the primary source of information to identify someone.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
As for the Internet addiction thing, I find it a bit controversial. What defines an addict? That he's bothered if he can't check the Internet for a week? Because that sounds like everybody. If they want to study this phenomenon, I think it needs to be put in parallel to TV addicts or cellphone addicts.

Yea its total BS. I mean, i can quite whenever I want. Seriously...

...aw fuck who am I kiddin'.. refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh -injecting information directly to my VEINS!

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
CnC said:
Yea its total BS. I mean, i can quite whenever I want. Seriously...

...aw fuck who am I kiddin'.. refresh, refresh, refresh, refresh -injecting information directly to my VEINS!
I do that at 4chan :carcus:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Waychel said:
People don't realize it, but even before the Internet you never really were anonymous. If I know somebody's name...

Isn't the point of being anonymous that people DON'T know your name? =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
You know something is wrong when a real newspaper is using MySpace as the primary source of information to identify someone.
It was secondary, since we used the name on his MySpace account to get the family's phone number in the phone directory. It's not like we said, "according to MySpace.com ..." :carcus: We just needed a lead on the guy's real name.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
It was secondary, since we used the name on his MySpace account to get the family's phone number in the phone directory. It's not like we said, "according to MySpace.com ..." :carcus: We just needed a lead on the guy's real name.

Well, it was still a determinant factor in obtaining that information. You guys are fucking detectives, BTW. :guts:

Top Bottom