Who likes metal music??

Orochi-chan

The Hill of Swords welcomes you...I shall be there
If you ask me, I started with things like Benediction, Sepultura, Kreator, Slayer, Napalm Death, and the Death itself (Chuck R.I.P.). Then I got into Blind Guardian and Demons and Wizards. Then I got onto finns like Sonata Arctica, Children of Bodom and Nightwish. Then things like Behemoth (yes, sir De99ial, from Poland :guts:), Dimmu Borgir. Then Dream Theater. And then, suddenly, Atsushi Sakurai & Camui Gackt. In the same time, I like all the uplisted bands for their special, unique taste and style. Currently I'm listening to Japanese guys mostly, except for Children of Bodom, Dream Theater and different electronic and industrial stuff like Stillste Stund). But the fact is, I don't forget about all the bands I found interesting. In the music I make I myself find Finnish and Japanese motives mostly. But there were some John Zorn (a schizo saxophonist :serpico: :serpico: :serpico:) and Tony Macalpine\Steve Vai influences recently.
I love music, I love art and I love women, even if they all put me to death))))

sarahofborg

goodbye assholes
Most of the metal I'm into is stuff I've grown up listening to, and I'm really behind the times a lot on the modern metal scene. I'm stuck pretty much between 1990 and 1995 in my taste. As a result, I still love grunge (which is sort of metal to me) such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, AIC, STP, and Soundgarden. Also, for some reason to this day I absolutely *love* Tool, again I'm not sure if that's considered metal. I just know it's good.
I'm a Metallica fan, but mostly for the new school. I love the Black Album, Load, Reload, and a half a dozen songs from their older albums. Fade to Black is probably my favorite of theirs.
I'm a huge NIN fan and don't tell me they aren't metal cause they use a lot of electronica. They have great songs that are ear-bleedingly loud and they know how to use the electric guitar. I love all their major albums, but especially The Downward Spiral and Fragile. I hated With Teeth though.

I also listen to Deftones, Smashing Pumpkins, and the hits of Korn, Prodigy, Rob Zombie, Filter, and others of various kinds of metal. However, when it comes to music I have a very wide variety of tastes. I might listen to a dark and heavy song like Tool's Anima, then next play Led Zeppelin's bluesy When the Levee Breaks (I'm a huge Led Zep fan, but people don't consider it heavy metal anymore :( .)

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
Led Zep is always cool, and those are Mettalica's best years IMHO.
Are you an Audioslave fan by any chance? Although they've also broken up now. :judo:

A lot of the music mentioned by myself and the other members will probably apeal to you though, you should hunt around.

sarahofborg said:
I'm a huge NIN fan and don't tell me they aren't metal cause they use a lot of electronica. They have great songs that are ear-bleedingly loud and they know how to use the electric guitar.

If you identify metal just by music that's just "ear-bleedingly loud" and just characterized by the use of an electric guitar then maybe you really don't have the right impression of metal... anyway NIN is industrial NOT metal and that's pretty much a fact. The only band I personally can think of off the top of my head that mixes the two genres is Ministry.

Anyway, I personally was not very much into music until about 3 years ago I would say. Prior to that that I would occasionally listen to nu-metal like Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Slipknot etc. etc. basically the rock they would play on the radio. Eventually I just started trying out new kinds of music and pretty much now all I listen to is basically metal it seems (and some occasional Industrial).

Some of bands I listen to:
Agalloch
Bal-Sagoth
Behemoth
Candlemass
Children of Bodom (why oh why did they do a cover of "Oops I did it again" WTF were they smoking, lol its so hilariously bad [better than the original though! haha])
Communic
Crimson Glory
Decapitated
Destruction
Dimmu Borgir
Ensiferum
Graveworm
Iced Earth
Kataklysm
Kreator
Legion of the Damned
The Lord Weird Slough Feg
Machine Men
Metallica (Don't really enjoy anything after the black album, ride the lightning is probably my favorite)
Ministry
Melechesh
Necrophagist (I had the chance to go see them live, but it was during the week of finals... still regret not going)
Nile (Karl Sanders is actually from my city)
Old Man's Child
Running Wild (YAR PIRATE METAL! :D)
Skinless (Had the chance to see them too, they were touring with Necrophagist... ><)
Skyclad
Slayer (Haven't checked out their newer albums... don't really plan to)
Sodom
Solstice
Suidakra
Testament
Therion (Were awesome as a death metal band in the early/mid 90's and still awesome as a symphonic metal band)
Vader
Windir
Xasthur (good when I want to listen to some eerie stuff)

Industrial:
Front Line Assembly
Mindless Self Indulgence (although I'm sure they probably fit under some other genres as well)
Wumpscut

yeah... did I make a long enough list DX? I could probably go on with some others ..but I won't.. yet..

I saw Graveworm, Speed/Kill\Hate, Destruction, Kataklysm, and Vader on the Metal Crusader's tour in June, probably one the best day's of my life.. It was at a small venue so I was able to get right at the stage. The following day I saw Nine Inch Nails, can't say it was good... (Not the music it self, but the atmosphere just... blew... and the music just sounded very distorted due to the speakers.. or something I don't know, I just remember being disappointed [Not to mention it was in an amphitheater and it began to thunderstorm])

Another note, I know a lot of people like Opeth on this board, but personally I find them to be overrated pretentious bullshit, but to each their own. (I believe Agalloch produces a similar style of music yet executes much MUCH better.)

P.S. Please don't hurt me :(

P.P.S. Holy shit large wall of text.

rorik

There is never enough time to do nothing.
Mercurii said:
Necrophagist (I had the chance to go see them live, but it was during the week of finals... still regret not going)
Nile (Karl Sanders is actually from my city)
Therion (Were awesome as a death metal band in the early/mid 90's and still awesome as a symphonic metal band)

I saw Necrophagist last June in a small venue in Saginaw, Michigan with Job For A Cowboy(terrible band), Animosity(Great band), Arsis(great band, I have a feeling that you would like them), and others. Necrophagist are really, really good live. So precise. They sounded nearly perfect. Only negative was that they pretty much just stood there, but with that level of technicality it is hard to ask much more. (Even though Dillinger Escape Plan are just as, if not more technical, and they are some extremely crazy folks live.)

I like a couple of the bands you mentioned. Bal-Sagoth is sweet. I have a few friends that are into black metal, so I hear a lot of that when they are around. I don't get into a whole lot of straight up death/black metal.
I do have a soft spot for Nile though. They are awesome.

rorik

There is never enough time to do nothing.
Mercurii said:
Lol, you make me regret not going even more xD

Oh sorry man. Don't worry though. They are getting pretty popular over here. They'll be in the states again soon. They came twice last year, and the first tour was their first time ever here! I'm sure that they'll be back around again.

in before, after, and during Metal Criticism (it happens)
Metallica
Megadeth
Danzig
Tool
Dark Tranquility
Dethklok(...?????!!!!)
Turisas
In Flames
Nevermore
Iced Earth
Paul Gilbert/Racer X
Dream Theater
Quo Vadis
Amon Amarth
Ensiferium
Nightwish
Opeth
Kalmah
Children of Bodom (to be honest, only for Alexi, not massive fan of vocalist)

missing a few, but w/e

Radzeke

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL
ITS ALLE I LISTIN 2 CUZ I GET IT AND IT GETS ME MAN! I LOVE THE HARDIEST RIFFERS, IT RAELLY GETS MY BLOOD FOGGING UP! OH! OH YEAH! I'M FEELING IT RIGHT NOW! YAE! HEADBRANGIN MY BRAINS 2 YOUR MUTHAFUCKAN WORD UP METAL BROTHERS! IT EVEN GOES WITH MY FASHION \m\/

SKuLL LoRD said:
ITS ALLE I LISTIN 2 CUZ I GET IT AND IT GETS ME MAN! I LOVE THE HARDIEST RIFFERS, IT RAELLY GETS MY BLOOD FOGGING UP! OH! OH YEAH! I'M FEELING IT RIGHT NOW! YAE! HEADBRANGIN MY BRAINS 2 YOUR MUTHAFUCKAN WORD UP METAL BROTHERS! IT EVEN GOES WITH MY FASHION \m\/
So I herd u liek metal!

relmneiko

Scaffold of Rotting Wood
I have a definite weakness for power metal/symphonic power metal. It's all about the mystic journeys, man. Oldschool speed metal makes me happy, too. Bands?

Sonata Artica
Helloween
Nightwish
Masterplan
Blind Guardian
Lacuna Coil
Kamelot
X Japan
Metallica

My musical tastes vary pretty wildly (Bartok or Chopin, anyone? The Sex Pistols? Soundgarden? Poe? Foo Fighters?), but when I want metal I want melodrama, angst, and sword, and/or sorcery. :D

Rorik said:
Oh sorry man. Don't worry though. They are getting pretty popular over here. They'll be in the states again soon. They came twice last year, and the first tour was their first time ever here! I'm sure that they'll be back around again.

Looks like you were right, lol. They're coming this summer for the Summer Slaughter tour at the same venue, along with Decapitated and 14 other bands. Looking forward to it :D.

Billybob said:
I like to listen to some metal bands here and there.

Opeth, of course. A little Nevermore, classic Slayer is always fun, I've dipped into Cattle Decapitation, pretty decent gore metal. Andromeda for the prog metal side of things. Just a little bit here and there.

Cattle Decapitation. . .heh heh. Those are some pissed off vegans. Have you ever seen their videos? I've only seen one, and the lead singer wore a beef jerky mask in it. I've also seen Nevermore live the year they released "Godless Endeavour". I have no words to describe it.

Billybob

Succumb to the will of the beast
AMaineKillingFrost said:
Cattle Decapitation. . .heh heh. Those are some pissed off vegans. Have you ever seen their videos? I've only seen one, and the lead singer wore a beef jerky mask in it. I've also seen Nevermore live the year they released "Godless Endeavour". I have no words to describe it.

Actually I haven't seen there videos, but I am now highly interested in doing just that. I'm no vegan myself, I love eating big and small animals alike, but I just can't help but be intrigued and entertained by a band whose CD cover is a guy made out of crap cause a cow ate him or something.

heres whats in my cd book;
Iron Maiden
Bruce Dickinson(solo work is really good, The Chemical Wedding is my pick!)
Danzig
Deathklok
Halford
Rammstein
Metallica
Megadeth
Type O Negative

I'm a huge Tillica Fan.

I one time or another like almost any thing they did. Their tempo changes with each ablum. I more than any thing love to watch Metallica LIVE. I got some many bootlegs and what not. Still the Binge and Purge shows from 1989-1993, I would like to say they were legendary. I think I like the Seattle show the most.

To me, a lot of people point out the things they don't like about metallica...but if you actaully go to one of their shows, I bet it'll realize how much metallica you really like. I mean yeah they had some flops, but in their 2hr or 2 1/2 set, their more likely to play every thing you would expect or even want to hear, and more.

TheRedShadow

Don't turn around.
Big metal, death metal, black metal fan.

Opeth.... Watershed in May, I believe... can't wait.
Behemoth
Dimmu Borgir

Other bands, not typically metal.
Eisbrecher
Stahlhammer
Oomph!
Rammstein
Pentagram
...etc

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Currently, I listen to mostly Corvus Corax, they perform Neo-Medieval Folk-Metal using authentic instruments. I've been listening to them for a couple of years and haven't gotten tired of them yet. They also have a straight electronic, industrial side project called Tanzwut that I've just started getting into.

I also enjoy:
Dark Tranquility
In Flames (early work)
Opeth (It's like Pastoral Metal, no wonder they are so well liked)
October Tide
Katatonia
Therion
Theatre of Tragedy
Tristania

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Aye, Watershed is going to be incredible!

Just got the new EP from Agalloch. I love this band.. sure the vocals aren't as good as the music itself, but I've not come across a band that strikes an atmosphere better than these guys.

It's pretty much the only music I listen to.

Amon Amarth
Amorphis
Black Messiah
Catamenia
Dark Tranquillity
Destruction
Draconian
Eluveitie
Ensiferum
Epica
Equilibrium
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Falkenbach
Finntroll
Gorgoroth
Hypocrisy
Insomnium
Kalmah
Korpiklaani
Menhir
Mercenary
Meshuggah
Moonsorrow
Mors Principium Est
Norther
Pain
Satyricon
Skyfire
Sonata Arctica
Subway to Sally
Summoning
Thyrfing
Ulver
Watain
Windir
Wintersun

slayer81

Legendary pimp, slayer of evils
First off guys, anything that even remotely sounds like "Emo" should be shot to Hell, do NOT pass Go, do NOT collect $200.

Here are my faves:
Cannibal Corpse
Six Feet Under
Morbid Angel
Prostitute Disfigurement
Unearthed Corpse
Iced Earth
Megadeth
Job for a Cowboy
Torture Killer
Unleashed
Suffocation