Was Mozgus an apostle or really a devoted servant

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakaneko

Current favorite character : Tohru Honda
I am just curious on whether mazgus was an apostel/servant of god. There were no evidence of the egg so most likely a very devoted servant of god? but whats up with his face and form ??? his face is like a square and his form...well it doesnt resemble an angel from god i guess....he did shed feathers when he fell...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: was Mazgus an apostel or really a devoted serv

I am just curious on whether mazgus was an apostel/servant of god. There were no evidence of the egg so most likely a very devoted servant of god? but whats up with his face and form ??? his face is like a square and his form...well it doesnt resemble an angel from god i guess....he did shed feathers when he fell...
Hes' classified as an apostle-spawn. Just as Roshinu's insect-men were spawns of apostles, so is Mozgus, and the goatman. Mozgus has different forms and is rather more powerful because hes a religious zealot, and well... hes pretty big.

Walter is right (of course), you can see the "egg" apostle reaching for Mozgus with some kind of tendrils in page 8 and 9 of Volume 20 right before Mozgus seems to defeat the darkness and grow wings.

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?

Hes' classified as an apostle-spawn. Just as Roshinu's insect-men were spawns of apostles, so is Mozgus, and the goatman. Mozgus has different forms and is rather more powerful because hes a religious zealot, and well... hes pretty big.

Is that the cause of his strange appearance? I always thought it had to do with the whole "banging his head into the floor" thing. Just curious. ???

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Is that the cause of his strange appearance?  I always thought it had to do with the whole "banging his head into the floor" thing.  Just curious.  ???
That's why he looks weird, yes, from banging his head on the ground. But in chapters 167-170, Mozgus turns into a Demi-Apostle (what I normally call Apostle-spawns). After that he looks like a flying turd: Brown and chunky.

shiz

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

but he has the same flat face.

and rants about how god gave him this form. and who spawned him and those other freaks. They all had wings too.
His servants.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

but he has the same flat face.

and rants about how god gave him this form. and who spawned him and those other freaks. They all had wings too.
His servants.
??? What are you getting at?

kimchan

"Should I be overcome by the vapors?

That's why he looks weird, yes, from banging his head on the ground. But in chapters 167-170, Mozgus turns into a Demi-Apostle (what I normally call Apostle-spawns). After that he looks like a flying turd: Brown and chunky.

I like that, nice description Walter. :D

Anyhow, thanks for the info, I *really* need to catch up on the manga.

bakaneko

Ok, so Mazgus was a semi-apostel but then why was he helping the people that were in danger from the imminent eclipse?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Ok, so Mazgus was a semi-apostel but then why was he helping the people that were in danger from the imminent eclipse?
Just because hes a demi-apostle doesn't mean that he's evil. He was just granted supernatural powers by the Beherit-Apostle, probably to shake things up for Guts. Mozgus is still a priest at heart though, no matter how crazy he is.

Religious zealots are pretty frikkin' evil if you ask me...
i mean, are they responsible for the Inquisition and Crusades??
but, of course, he thought he was good and Guts was pure evil, so i guess he was justified in some way and wasnt so evil??

christ, this became pointless...

I think the key here is that Mozgus, like his followers, thought that God, not the Beherit-Apostle, had made him an angel - Mozgus, as with 'the great devil' (Satyr-Demi Apostle), seems to have been none to aware as to what caused his tranformation.

As Walt says, Mozgus, still being Mozgus, continued to protect 'his flock'.

On a bit of an aside, where's Olivier when you need him!? I'm sure that he could dismiss all of these queries with a few short words... ;)

shiz

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The other guys with him had wings also before gatts killed them all. They all sprouted wings and flew around.

bakaneko

Ya you got a point there. maybe Gutts is the evil one ;)... After all griffith havent lifted a finger to kill any innocents (yet) after the eclipse. ...
Just out of curiosity, how come griffith isnt satisfied (or maybe we dont know that) after getting his sso desired castle?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Just out of curiosity, how come griffith isnt satisfied (or maybe we dont know that) after getting his sso desired castle?
He doesnt have it yet. He's very close, but don't worry. I'm sure Miura will bring us there for the main event when it rolls around. Im guessing 10 or so more chapters, maybe less.

Kuroi-san

Gonna do something, or just stand there and bleed?

10 chapters?

Noooo, Berserk has to get me through school! It has to!

D

Drachenfels

10 chapters?

Noooo, Berserk has to get me through school! It has to!

The series won't end after Griffith conquered Midland.

Re: Was Mozgus an apostel or really a devoted servant

I just got done re-reading that and I confess, I consider this thing a huge fake-out. I could have sworn that the weird appearance of Mozgus was the result of him being "secretly" an apostle the entire time. Of course, the irony is that he's just stark raving nuts. While he's a religious zealot and a mass murderer, he's also got his charming side too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Not sure what you mean by fake-out. But yeah I'm not sure why, but many people seem to get confused and miss the pages where the Beherit-Apostle quite clearly stabs Mozgus and his disciples. Moz even starts foaming at the mouth afterwards.

He's a unique case, since he truly believes what he's doing is good, and is even supported by the people to an extent.

PS: I moved the thread from Current Episodes. Not sure why it was there in the first place, but that was back in 2002 - SKnet's lawless, maverick days.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

Walter said:
Not sure what you mean by fake-out. But yeah I'm not sure why, but many people seem to get confused and miss the pages where the Beherit-Apostle quite clearly stabs Mozgus and his disciples. Moz even starts foaming at the mouth afterwards.

Actually I missed that my first read through. I don't think I noticed the nipple shaped needles stabbing him, I just figured the Beherit-Apostle did something else.

I think it's mostly a case of them being so freaky to begin with that we assume there's something funny going on them the first time.

Actually, I was always confused what the Beherit-Apostle was. "The Egg of the World" and all that.

Is that meant to be Reborn Griffith's natal form?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

willowhugger said:
Actually, I was always confused what the Beherit-Apostle was. "The Egg of the World" and all that.

Is that meant to be Reborn Griffith's natal form?
Not sure what you're confused about. I mean, he's an apostle like the rest, the biggest difference being he sacrificed the world in exchange for a new one.

He has an entire backstory in volume 20. He's more explicitly explained than any other apostle. He took the demon child inside him that became the vessel for Griffith (not entirely unlike how Ganishka's apostle chamber works in principle, now that I mention it... But this is shaky ground for a theory ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom