Worst software you have ever used

I just used virtual CD and its such a horrid program Ive had to start this topic. I'm just wondering whats the worst piece of software everyones ever used?

Mine has to be either virtual CD or the stuff Sony releases with its hardware both my camcorder and minidisk software was so badly made using it made me want to cry.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Real Player.

Virtual CD was pretty cool last time I used it, which must have been in something like 1996.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Aazealh said:
Real Player.

Virtual CD was pretty cool last time I used it, which must have been in something like 1996.
Iv used it more recently, 2005 :carcus:

I have had no issues with it and actually, with this way I was able to produce a few extra copies of some exciting RTS back in the day... Just put all the images on to a DVD and viola! :guts:

As for worst... Let me get my list out... brb on that one.

EDIT2: For me its kinda a group of them but... Any software made with Installershield where the retarded programmer did not put in any install switches cause he was fucking lazy and then I am forced to find an alternate method to push out said software to 400+ machines...

Thank you ass wipe. :chomp:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Realplayer and AOL spring to mind. But I've never really stuck around long enough with bad software. There's usually always a better alternative to these things nowadays.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Realplayer and AOL spring to mind. But I've never really stuck around long enough with bad software. There's usually always a better alternative to these things nowadays.
Oooh Realplayer is pretty fucking awful. But the email client I'm forced to use at work, Lotus Notes, probably takes the cake, as far as efficiency, design and the general tear-out-your-hair factor. The fact there IS NO ALTERNATIVE makes it that much more depressing.

Want to check for new mail? Sure, just give it 12 minutes to refresh. Want to make a new event on the calendar? 6 minutes. Clicked the wrong entry? 20 minutes, so sorry!

Not sure if Microsoft's Windows ME counts, but it should ... jesus christ what a mess that was... Not to mention Windows Messenger and all the havok that caused with backdoor access.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
But the email client I'm forced to use at work, Lotus Notes, probably takes the cake, as far as efficiency, design and the general tear-out-your-hair factor. The fact there IS NO ALTERNATIVE makes it that much more depressing.

What? Notes isn't all that bad, really. The set up you have at work must be terrible, and/or the I&T guy incompetent. Anyway there's definitely an alternative: Microsoft Exchange. It also works pretty well if the admin knows what he's doing.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
What? Notes isn't all that bad, really. The set up you have at work must be terrible, and/or the I&T guy incompetent. Anyway there's definitely an alternative: Microsoft Exchange. It also works pretty well if the admin knows what he's doing.
Well, we're all on MACs. Anyway, its not even the lag on the server, it's the software's lack of intuitiveness. Took me days to figure out just how to check for new mail, and I'm normally very quick to figuring software out.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Look no further. :chomp:

Are you guys using ClarisWorks to type your articles too? :troll:
We use NewsEdit ... PRO! :guts:

Funny story actually. Recently, we received a tape recording of a 911 call we wanted to put on the web. But no one in our entire office had software to convert the tape recording to .wav or even .aiff Ohhhhhh MACs.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
We use NewsEdit ... PRO! :guts:

Hahah whoa, no kidding.

Walter said:
Funny story actually. Recently, we received a tape recording of a 911 call we wanted to put on the web. But no one in our entire office had software to convert the tape recording to .wav or even .aiff Ohhhhhh MACs.

"That's not what they told me in the commercial. :judo:"

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Aazealh said:
Walter said:

"That's not what they told me in the commercial. :judo:"

FPI607290301AR_b.jpg

"Uhhhh... I don't know what you guys are talking about... But It's a bunch fucking bullshit! Fuck you, man. I don't need this shit! I'm a writer. I'm going to get into Berkley. Fuck. Next time you want to post some shit on your stupid fag site, I'll give you something to post... ... your.. broken jaw! FUCK! Now I'm all tense now from your fucking shit! I'm gon' smoke a bowl..."

Remember these?

http://pulsar.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/yo_yo_ma_m480.mov

Gee, I wonder why this more honest ad campaign was scrapped? The funny thing is this guy (Yo Yo Ma =) is one of the more normal looking people, the rest make the PC guy in the new ads look like the ultimate badass by comparison. Disgusting old women, retarded teens, and 40-something bald fatsos with hipster glasses and grey-speckled fu manchus. =)

the worst thing than lotus notes is the new version of lotus notes, usually it is a pain in the ass to install and commonly come full of bugs.

The software I hate the most is partition magic, very useful program but sometime can ruin your day with b.s. it pulls every now and then.

Dirty Dog

I'm gonna have to go with firefox.
Everyone was saying it pwnz, so I tried it.. and it wasn't any better than IE, and now my IE is kinda fucked up too...

CnC

Ad Oculos
Dirty Dog said:

I've been using firefox exclusively for a very long time now. Its much more functional than IE. This _should_ be a no-brainer to most :schierke:

Dirty Dog

CnC said:
I've been using firefox exclusively for a very long time now.  Its much more functional than IE.  This _should_ be a no-brainer to most  :schierke:
"functional" how?
It's slower than IE, and alot of more complicated javascripts (as well as a couple of CSS things) don't work properly in FireFox; which is a damned waste.

To me, it just seemed like a nicer looking internet explorer. Aside for the tabs, which I admit I wish that IE had, it seemed very similar.

I'm sure that it has some uses that IE doesn't have, but I think it's 90% hype.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dirty Dog said:
Everyone was saying it pwnz, so I tried it.. and it wasn't any better than IE, and now my IE is kinda fucked up too...
Hahaha, wow. Well, IE is now copying Firefox features (tabbed browsing), and honestly it can't keep up with Firefox's user-made extentions and themes. I'm trying to think of a good reason someone would use IE over Firefox outside of pure laziness, since IE comes built-in with Windows.

Dirty Dog said:
It's slower than IE, and alot of more complicated javascripts (as well as a couple of CSS things) don't work properly in FireFox; which is a damned waste.
Actually, Firefox processes code "properly". IE just hamfists its way through badly coded internet trash, sometimes displaying trash, sometimes not at all, sometimes PERFECTLY displays incorrect garbage CSS. The guys at Mozilla are trying to uphold properly coded programs, and I think it's working.

\Aside for the tabs, which I admit I wish that IE had, it seemed very similar.
Well any browser is going to seem similar to a degree. I mean, all they do is display web content. Back/Forward/Home whoa! What a ripoff! :carcus: Anyway, IE 7 has tabbed browsing now. Way to hop on the bandwagon after 3 years guys!

Dirty Dog

Walter said:
Hahaha, wow. Well, IE is now copying Firefox features (tabbed browsing), and honestly it can't keep up with Firefox's user-made extentions and themes. I'm trying to think of a good reason someone would use IE over Firefox outside of pure laziness, since IE comes built-in with Windows.
Actually, Firefox processes code "properly". IE just hamfists its way through badly coded internet trash, sometimes displaying trash, sometimes not at all, sometimes PERFECTLY displays incorrect garbage CSS. The guys at Mozilla are trying to uphold properly coded programs, and I think it's working.
Well any browser is going to seem similar to a degree. I mean, all they do is display web content. Back/Forward/Home whoa! What a ripoff!  :carcus: Anyway, IE 7 has tabbed browsing now. Way to hop on the bandwagon after 3 years guys!
Really, IE 7 has tabbed browsing?
Well, that's the only useful thing I saw in firefox. Honestly.
And I don't doubt that thing about IE being kinda trashy in how it processes code (as microsoft products in general tend to do that).

However, overall, firefox is useless for me.
Might not be for you, but it is for me.
:p

CnC

Ad Oculos
Dirty Dog said:
And I don't doubt that thing about IE being kinda trashy in how it processes code (as microsoft products in general tend to do that).

Its true. Even firefox stumbles a bit on this, but not as bad as IE. Opera, actually, has been the best at this sort a thing (or so I hear, I haven't really used Opera).

But the extensions make Firefox a winner for me. I would think including it in a list of the worst software one can use is a stretch.

Dirty Dog

CnC said:
Its true.  Even firefox stumbles a bit on this, but not as bad as IE.  Opera, actually, has been the best at this sort a thing (or so I hear, I haven't really used Opera).

But the extensions make Firefox a winner for me.  I would think including it in a list of the worst software one can use is a stretch.
Well, I guess it doesn't really belong here.
It's not the worst, just the most useless (in my case).
But since I don't use much software (just a few games and graphics software, unless you wanna count my OS and programming IDEs (the latter of which are always pretty similar)), I can't really say... o_O

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, Firefox the worst software ever? Give me a break. Do you know about W3C standards? IE really has a lot of faults these days, hopefully some of them which will be fixed in the future, but currently you can't seriously say it's got the upper hand on alternative browsers like Opera or Firefox. That's why it's slowly losing popularity, and it's really not just about hype. Even people at MS are aware of this. Disliking anything other than IE for irrational reasons doesn't constitute a point in itself.

Dirty Dog

Aazealh said:
Yeah, Firefox the worst software ever? Give me a break. Do you know about W3C standards? IE really has a lot of faults these days, hopefully some of them which will be fixed in the future, but currently you can't seriously say it's got the upper hand on alternative browsers like Opera or Firefox. That's why it's slowly losing popularity, and it's really not just about hype. Even people at MS are aware of this. Disliking anything other than IE for irrational reasons doesn't constitute a point in itself.
I wouldn't call it a disliking, more like an apathy.
I don't give a damn either way.
It just seems pointless to me.
And yes, I know about W3C standards, even if I'm not too great with web scripting.
I personally find standards like that a pain in the ass.
But fucking up a webpage's appearance because of unclosed image tags is like killing every baby that's born with a physical or mental handicap.
It's not fair.

either way, I said it probably didn't belong here, it was just utterly pointless for me.

and no point in starting an argument about it, so please don't pursue one :) I admit it was an error in personal judgement.

Top Bottom