Rumsfeld is gone

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061108/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/rumsfeld_resigns

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, intends to resign after six stormy years at the Pentagon, Republican officials said Wednesday.

Word came a day after the Democratic gains in the election, in which Rumsfeld was a focus of much of the criticism of the Iraq war. Officials said Robert Gates, former head of the CIA, would replace Rumsfeld.

Earlier today, a spokesman for Rumsfeld said he'd given no indication that he would step down in the wake of Democratic election gains. The spokesman said Rumsfeld would work with Congress on Iraq but added that the focus on stabilizing the country will remain the same.

In the days leading up to the election, President Bush said he wanted Rumsfeld to stay on as defense chief until the end of Bush's second term.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I just saw the headline. I'm shocked. It's probably because all his friends left the House :judo:

Head of CIA Robert Gates will take his place. Who's this guy...?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Yeah, I just saw the headline. I'm shocked. It's probably because all his friends left the House :judo:

Head of CIA Robert Gates will take his place. Who's this guy...?

I'm thinking that he thinks the Democrats were going to even persue his removal even more.

I remember them saying something about the guy replacing him, but I havn't heard much on it.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well I personally see this as a step in the right direction. However its a bit shocking how obvious a response to the election this is.

I mean, I expected him to be the first to step down but I thought they would have played it a bit more as a tactical decision (him doing a "great" job but they just want a second opinion, or something like that) instead of a reaction to the dissastifaction of the people (that hasn't stopped them before).

Anyhoo... we'll see who this Gates guy is soon enough. Hope he's better.

PS: kinda funny considering Bush stated Rumsfeld would definitely stay through his term.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
PS: kinda funny considering Bush stated Rumsfeld would definitely stay through his term. 

Yeah, but Bush says a lot of things...personally I'm glad Rumsfeld is out of there. Hopefully this Gates guy does a better job of things.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
This was likely already in the works but they didn't want to do it before the election, rather than this being a direct result of its outcome. It seems ridiculously soon after, but if they waited it would give the Democrats a chance to demand it and make them look weaker since they basically had to anyway.

Anyway, the Virginia race is far more interesting in that the Dems could still basically sweep (assuming the independents caucus with them, which is likely in most cases) Congress. Did you see Bush's conference this morning? He said all the right things, but you could tell, he's PISSED. He's going to have to get used to being as frustrated and disappointed as the rest of us now. =)

All of a sudden Bush is Mr. Bi-Partisan. Rumsfeld knew that if the Dem's took over, he'd most likely be facing impeachment, I mean I knew everyone was calling for him to resign, but him announcing it today made the news that much cooler to watch. Hopefully we some change, however minor it may be. And yes, I helped keep NJ Democrat.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Crazy stuff... One thing I never understood was why for the position of Secretary of Defense they never really put in a former high ranking officer?

Oh well, I need more freedom fries!

CnC

Ad Oculos
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Crazy stuff... One thing I never understood was why for the position of Secretary of Defense they never really put in a former high ranking officer?

You should read Bob Woodward's book, "State of Denial". Its take on Rumsfeld is very interesting.
He goes in there with the (reasonable) goal of getting rid of the internal bureaucracy (the 4 star generals of the branches of the military each acting like lords overseeing their own fiefdom) by trying to be "hands on" with every aspect in running things.
But attempts to streamline turn to attempts to control.
Soon the DOD is gutted with Rumsfeld ruling everything (poorly). Soon you see generals acting like parrots on Rumsfeld's shoulder.
The relationship between Rumsfeld and the state department is also interesting. So check it out.

"Griffith No More!" said:
This was likely already in the works but they didn't want to do it before the election, rather than this being a direct result of its outcome. It seems ridiculously soon after, but if they waited it would give the Democrats a chance to demand it and make them look weaker since they basically had to anyway.

Perhaps, but I think had the Republicans magically won this thing you'd probably still see Rummy around.

Him being gone is great. He and Cheney are the worst aspects of this administration (believe it or not, Bush doesn't do much), and Cheney's pretty much a joke now.

Heres to hoping the congress and white house can actually start acting to the betterment of the people now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Heres to hoping the congress and white house can actually start acting to the betterment of the people now.
We always expect sweeping changes in these kinds of polarity reversals in Washington, but even speaking as a republican at heart, who mostly leans towards the left, I have to say this is really optimistic of what to expect. I don't think either major political party has any plans to work towards the betterment of well... anybody except themselves.

It's just the government, man! :carcus:

UPDATE: Dems just took the Senate, with Jim Webb winning a Senate seat in Virginia.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
We always expect sweeping changes in these kinds of polarity reversals in Washington, but even speaking as a republican at heart, who mostly leans towards the left, I have to say this is really optimistic of what to expect. I don't think either major political party has any plans to work towards the betterment of well... anybody except themselves.

It's just the government, man! :carcus:

Well, I normally take the moral high ground when discussing politics. My bad. :carcus:

...Besides, I said "hope". yeesh. Don't need to get all realistic on my ass, people.

Walter said:
UPDATE: Dems just took the Senate, with Jim Webb winning a Senate seat in Virginia.

FX: Groovy!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Well, I normally take the moral high ground when discussing politics. My bad. :carcus:
Touche :guts:
...Besides, I said "hope". yeesh. Don't need to get all realistic on my ass, people.
How DARE YOU be optimistic among we scavengers of cynicism?! I OBJECT!

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
Well I can do that too buddy, only better. :badbone:

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=1470700
What's next, you're going to post a YTMND or something equally "last week?" :troll:

PS: Oh yeah, well this US political stuff sure is interesting and I'm definitely not posting unrelated stuff! Hilary 2008! First New York, then the White House! :carcus:
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=1470926

So do you think Bush is going to get impeached along with Cheney?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=1470926

Hahaha, this is a true reversal, you honor this game sir! I've got the sequel here waiting for me to tear it apart by the way. On a side note you are a good man and I thank you. :beast:

So do you think Bush is going to get impeached along with Cheney?

Is that even possible? I don't mean constitutionally feasible, but can it realistically happen?

handsome rakshas said:
Aaz, no matter how many times I see that Skully objection, it's still a laugh riot.

Thanks man, I'm glad someone appreciates it. :judo:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Is that even possible? I don't mean constitutionally feasible, but can it realistically happen?

Yes, a U.S President _can_ be impeached
I think its _highly_ unlikely. If Bush were to be impeached it would be unlikely (and unprecedented) that the vice president would also be impeached.

I don't think any democrat would want Cheney in charge.

ps. Now if the vice president did anything illegal that would probably be another matter. Apparently he had meetings with Abermoff. I have no idea how that would go down

SaiyajinNoOuji

CnC said:
Yes, a U.S President _can_ be impeached
I think its _highly_ unlikely. If Bush were to be impeached it would be unlikely (and unprecedented) that the vice president would also be impeached.

I don't think any democrat would want Cheney in charge.
There is always a first time for everything! =D

Anyways though with these happenings. I'm guessing that troops wont pull out for at least 2 more years. The mess has been made and we need to clean it up to keep any sense of dignity left imo.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
CnC said:

Or probably, he'd just be around longer, but despite appearances, this didn't just happen over night (if nothing else, the groundwork was already in place). The Republicans aren't crazy about Rumsy either (or Bush right now), but they weren't going to dump him leading up to the election. Now they want to distance themselves from him ASAP because those congressional investigations we haven't been having for years are right around the corner, say, "I swear to tell the truth..." Donald. :carcus:

Anyway, I'm with Wally, this was a rejection of the war and a check on corruption, not really a big mandate for the Democrats themselves. It would be a mistake for them to act so, just as Bush's arrogance and abuses have finally come back to him. So far, so good, and this is really how it's supposed to work. Let the lame duck era of Bush begin, barring something great and unforseen, he should find a place in history among our... um, lesser Presidents. =)

I'm delighted by all this, BTW. :guts:

Top Bottom