Dark Horse Releases

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Yep, volume 11 came out a little while ago Slightly Green. Looks like your a bit behind schedule, 2 was released in 2003 I think? :)

I'm glad they are going to begin releasing them one every two months. I'd love to be caught up to everyone faster so I can participate in the upper-volume discussions. :judo:

Volume 12 is still set to drop 7/12/06

and guess what....

Volume 13 is set to drop 9/27/06 :isidro: :guts:

i hope the bi-monthly marker is a permanent move for the future issues as well.. i know i would be very happy..

Aazealh said:

the dates were said on that thread (or am i missing them ???), and i honestly did not expect to see them on that thread...

Aazealh said:
It's also about the story in the manga and not the release dates or pace, there are threads for that in other sections already.

Aazealh said:
Well according to what Chris Warner told us a while ago it should be.

Ill believe it when it becomes a fact not a speculation. Remember an issue was released 2 months after a previous issue before, and then it went back to the 3 month marker.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DarthVenom said:
the dates were said on that thread (or am i missing them ???), and i honestly did not expect to see them on that thread...

It was said that volume 12 was coming out in July and volume 13 in September, which prompted comments on a bi-monthly release. The dates themselves are on DH's site, but the big news was the bi-monthly planning. As for not having dates announced or discussed in that thread, what can I tell you... People just don't listen.

DarthVenom said:
Ill believe it when it becomes a fact not a speculation.

Like everybody else.

DarthVenom said:

Ill believe it when it becomes a fact not a speculation. Remember an issue was released 2 months after a previous issue before, and then it went back to the 3 month marker.

Hi everybody,

Chris Warner from Dark Horse here. Berserk goes bimonthly starting with volume 13, which is scheduled to go on sale in the comics market September 27. Please note that in mainstream bookstores, books go on shelves approximately two to three weeks later than the listed on-sale date, and the times even in the same bookstore will not always be the same, due to the more complex nature of mass-market bookstore distribution. In fact, for the most part, books don't have official on-sale dates in the book market. They have publication months. Our listed on-sale dates are for the comics specialty market.

Chris Warner said:
Hi everybody,

Chris Warner from Dark Horse here. Berserk goes bimonthly starting with volume 13, which is scheduled to go on sale in the comics market September 27.

Good news for those of us in the US and Canada.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TheBeast43105 said:
The two month marker is cool and everything, but wont they catch up to Miura faster, and then have to wait for him to produce new volumes?

Of course, once Dark Horse will have caught up with the Japanese edition the releases will slow down. That's inevitable though, so I don't see what your point is. It will eventually happen no matter what, and having a faster release rate won't have much of an impact on it.

finally we are almost to the part where the anime leaves off the people who did not read the japanese manga can finally see just what happens to guts. I cant wait to read it even through i already know how he got out of there.

TheBeast43105 said:
The two month marker is cool and everything, but wont they catch up to Miura faster, and then have to wait for him to produce new volumes?

Hi everybody,

Chris Warner from Dark Horse again. Actually, your question was a major issue here in determining how to plan a Berserk publishing program, because we knew we'd eventually catch up with the series in Japan, and then we'd have no choice but to go from whatever schedule we were maintaining to a much slower release schedule. The other consideration was the proliferation of manga titles being published. Initially, we felt that a quarterly schedule handled matters well enough, but once we'd established the U.S. Berserk audience, and we were getting so many requests to go to bimonthly, we figured what-the-hell and went to the faster schedule. That will mean we'll catch up to the Japanese editions a lot sooner (I think we'll catch up sometime early in 2010) and go from every two months to about every six or seven months, but after 30-odd volumes, I think the readers we have will definitely be hardcore enough to put up with the wait.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Chris Warner said:
[...] That will mean we'll catch up to the Japanese editions a lot sooner (I think we'll catch up sometime early in 2010) and go from every two months to about every six or seven months, but after 30-odd volumes, I think the readers we have will definitely be hardcore enough to put up with the wait.

I think so too. Besides, 2010 may be "soon" in terms of edition, but for readers eager to read more it's a lot of time. If people had had to wait until 2013 to catch up they might have dropped the series altogether in favor of others getting a faster release rate. It's a smart move from Dark Horse in all respects, IMHO.

Chris Warner said:
Hi everybody,

Chris Warner from Dark Horse again. Actually, your question was a major issue here in determining how to plan a Berserk publishing program, because we knew we'd eventually catch up with the series in Japan, and then we'd have no choice but to go from whatever schedule we were maintaining to a much slower release schedule. The other consideration was the proliferation of manga titles being published. Initially, we felt that a quarterly schedule handled matters well enough, but once we'd established the U.S. Berserk audience, and we were getting so many requests to go to bimonthly, we figured what-the-hell and went to the faster schedule. That will mean we'll catch up to the Japanese editions a lot sooner (I think we'll catch up sometime early in 2010) and go from every two months to about every six or seven months, but after 30-odd volumes, I think the readers we have will definitely be hardcore enough to put up with the wait.

Mmm i never thought of that, i see your point. If someones invested enough cash to buy 30 volumes, you think they'd be in it for the long haul. And even if they stop reading it, its economically beneficial if they stop reading after buying thirty volumes at the bi-monthly rate than if they stop reading at say 22 at the previous one.    Okay, im convinced.  :serpico:

KuroKenshi

ready for Today's sermon??
i feel the same as most of you :judo: i know i could just print a bunch of scans but it just feels better having the real thing and they are excellent in quality, :serpico: besides i cant read japanese so the japanese ones wont do even though skullnight.net has translations. :griff: i think bi-monthly would be an awesome idea :badbone: but complaining here wont change nothin' so i'm just gonna have to go to over to darkhorse with my army of apostles!! :zodd:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KuroKenshi said:
i think bi-monthly would be an awesome idea

Bi-monthly releases are a reality now. Please pay more attention to previous posts when you reply to a thread in the future.

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Yep, and 2010 isn't an unfair date at all to catch up on. The new ones to the series won't have to wait so long to get a volume. That is, until DH does indeed catch up, then we'll probably be at around the same pace as the Japanese releases, correct? (of course it'll probably take it bit to translate it, so actually a tad slower.. :) )

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DH's Volume 14 is up for pre-order now, along with a really mangled-looking cover (the canvas has been extended - check out the stubby DS handle XD ). Here's their uh... unique summary.
[quote author=Dark Horse]
"The once unbeatable Band of the Hawk is smashed, and their former leader, Griffith, has made an unholy pact with the demon lords of the Godhand, sacrificing his former troops to resurrect his crippled body and ascend to stand in power beside these profane gods. The Invocation of Doom has unleashed a plague of unspeakable horrors upon the earth, and the first battle not only shatters the Hawks, but the hand of their champion, Guts, and the mind of their captain and Guts' lover, Casca. And while time may heal some of Guts' wounds, it will not heal his desire for vengeance. And his discovery of a gigantic, dragon-slaying sword might be just the ticket to deal out some king-sized payback!"[/quote]
Griffith resurrected his body and unleashed a plague upon the world! :isidro: :???: Can't wait to read the back of the volume this time around.

"Also included in this volume: "Berserk Prototype," the very first Berserk story, created during Kentarou Miura's college days as his audition that sold the series!"
Good to see that the Prototype made it in. Oh, and the release date is November 29th, 2006.

PS: A little factoid on that vol 14 page, "The first ten volumes of Berserk have sold over 175,000 copies!" Great work. Keep it up, DH.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
PS: A little factoid on that vol 14 page, "The first ten volumes of Berserk have sold over 175,000 copies!" Great work. Keep it up, DH.

Great news. congrats to DH for their success

oh, yea. and that DS is jacked up...

IsolatioN

Last Soldier Standing
Great, I'm glad DH is doing well. Hopefully it's introducing a lot of new fans to berserk. It seems to be selling fairly well :)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Good to see that the Prototype made it in.

No reason for it not to though, just like there was no way episode 83 would be included in volume 13. It's the same for every version.

Walter said:
"The first ten volumes of Berserk have sold over 175,000 copies!"

Let's rejoice. :SK:

TheSkyTraveller

Monster adventures on the high seas!
Walter said:
DH's Volume 14 is up for pre-order now, along with a really mangled-looking cover (the canvas has been extended - check out the stubby DS handle XD ).

Didn't they extend the canvas on some of the others, too? I remember #9 not having the white border the original does.

Also, I have a question. Since when did it become the "Invocation of Doom?" I thought they were calling it the "Occultation of Doom" in the earlier volumes? Maybe I'm just crazy. :???:

Top Bottom