Dark Horse Releases

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
kuroikagesoku said:
Now I know im sort of new to this thread, and ive read pretty much all of the whole FX fiasco and up from there. My question would be "IF" we somehow managed to get them to remove FX boxes from the art in say vol 18 or somthing.( I know this is hoping for a bit too much) would they go back and take them out of the previous volumes that had them and republish a bunch
(not as many but enough) so that previous readers that kicked the DH version to the curb would buy that? I mean it cant be that hard to do and that would get me to start buying them again. I dont know maybe I'm trying to hope for to much.... but in any case a "Collectors edition" or a non FX version would be a most exelent idea
Sounds really infeasible, and if DH was even open to this kind of logic, they would have already republished volumes 1-11 with the added sound *FX.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
See how my last post was deleted, probably due to flaming and name calling (understandable). I am taking a new approach. Since things are very slow at work. I am going through every comic product that Dark Horse has and looking at their little snippet's for each book that describes what they are. I will post those that are similar to Berserk over the top dumbness.

What do I aim to prove? Not really sure but if Berserk ends up being the only one that is over the top to the point of making it corny, well, I hope who ever writes that stuff gets slapped.

Edit: By the way, there are 745 items in the comics category. :judo: OH SWEET JESUS THERE ARE 745 items just for the god damn A-B category! :judo: :judo: :judo: :judo:

EDIT 2:
Seeing how it would probably take me a month to read through everything its rather funny that Comics that are meant to be off the wall and cheesy like say the Mask for example, have a much better description then Berserk. Also with the whole Berserk thing at first they weren't THAT bad but just all of a sudden its just BAM! What the fuck? I think its time who ever is witting this stuff is swapped out with some one else. I don't see a reason for it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Also with the whole Berserk thing at first they weren't THAT bad but just all of a sudden its just BAM! What the fuck? I think its time who ever is witting this stuff is swapped out with some one else. I don't see a reason for it.
I think you're really forgetting some of the bad ones... Look to Handsome Rakshas' list of the volumes' backcovers. Even the early ones were embarassing.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
I think you're really forgetting some of the bad ones... Look to Handsome Rakshas' list of the volumes' backcovers. Even the early ones were embarassing.
Well when I say not that bad I mean compared to the latest one and all the other manga mosh pit jargin. I know they have to sell it as being a violent manga, which it is, but look how they treat Akira. ALL HAIL OVER RATED MANGA AND CODDLE ITS BALLS! :schierke:

I dont see what the big deal with that manga/anime was. The first big thing that got translated and released in America? Blah so what, Voltron was from Japan, I think it was better then Akira. Anyways im ranting so there. :miura:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
look how they treat Akira. ALL HAIL OVER RATED MANGA AND CODDLE ITS BALLS!

I don't think Akira is overrated. In any case that's not really the thread to be talking about it, and to go back on topic a little, I don't think the blurbs are our biggest concern anyway.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Well by volume 14 I was able to pretty much ignore the fx translations, see I own all the JP manga volumes, but I look at those for the art, and I read the american ones for the story, though sometimes the shit is hard to understand.

Jaze1618 said:
yea  a much better job this time around with the locations of the FX
Why not simply get rid of them all together? (Not that I waste my time reading them)

Although Dark Horse seems to be improving on the releases (no more cut-offs, though there was alot of dark, smeared print in my copy of volume 14), the fx could definitely be done away with - this isn't VIZ, after all...

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
I like the SFX boxes, but that's just me. I wish, they could speed up their release schedule though, volume 15 this month, their (almost) halfway there!

Also, why don't they include the colored pages? That really bugs me to see several beautiful panels you know where colored in the orginal version left black and white.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Femto the Raven said:
Also, why don't they include the colored pages? That really bugs me to see several beautiful panels you know where colored in the orginal version left black and white.

These aren't colored in the Japanese volumes either. They only were during the pre-publication, in Young Animal. It's a shame, but including them isn't very cost effective. I personally hope we'll get a deluxe edition (Japanese, not DH) with these pages colored, but for now that's just wishful thinking.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
I personally hope we'll get a deluxe edition (Japanese, not DH) with these pages colored, but for now that's just wishful thinking.

Yeah, that'd be pretty sweet.  A bunch of 'em are colored (and quite large) in the BERSERK Illustrations File artbook, though.  However, I recommend picking that up no matter what. :guts:

And now for something completely different.

In volume 14, when Guts recieves his Metal prosthetic hand, There's an interesting bit of dialogue. "Groovy"

Did anyone else see this as an Evil Dead/Army of Darkness reference?

for comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p0YbpLkr-E

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it was discussed here in detail earlier. Most of us expressed our utter remorse for the anachronistic and self-effacing reference.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Walter said:
Yeah, it was discussed here in detail earlier. Most of us expressed our utter remorse for the anachronistic and self-effacing reference.

How could you say that about this lovable old character?
Groovy.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hax said:
Did anyone else see this as an Evil Dead/Army of Darkness reference?

What you might not immediately get from the 2 posts above is that this is a totally artificial reference that was added by the translator on a whim and isn't present in the original work. Reading the various threads on the subject of DH's edition of Berserk should provide you with all the information you need on that point.

I don't know if ive just beomce numb or not, but after reading Vol 15 the fx boxes go by completely unnoticed anymore. They semed to have taken some comedic liberties with puck however..

I just ordered volume one and I'm all excited about it. All this time I've only had "Cawks" scans (and the Japanese manga, but they don't do me any good. :p). I wonder how much difference there will be between Dark Horse and the scans.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Faster than 2 months a volume would result in a quality drop and an embittered translator who likely would commit suicide at that rate of production.

Berserk's one of the more difficult series to translate in terms of the complexity of writing and language used. Comparing its release schedule to ... say, Naruto, would be unfair.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
Faster than 2 months a volume would result in a quality drop and an embittered translator who likely would commit suicide at that rate of production.

Berserk's one of the more difficult series to translate in terms of the complexity of writing and language used. Comparing its release schedule to ... say, Naruto, would be unfair.
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?

I think by the end of 2009 is a great rate of release.
I think they come out at just the right time. What walter said is true ebout a drop in quality and the burnout of the translator.

Let Beserk enrich you rather than Define you.

Just a reminder...

Issue 16 is still set to drop 3/28/07 :guts:

Issue 17 is set to drop on 5/30/07

Issue 18 is set to drop on 7/25/07

Ive yet to read or own these books in Japanese, so I'm expecting some seriously crazy shit to go on. But, in all honesty when isn't there some crazy shit going on in Berserk lol.

Top Bottom