Dark Horse Releases

Hell Yes even tho I have read them I am equally excited for book 16 and the rest to come out!

We'll probably get it a week from tomorrow in Seattle.

EDIT: Did anyone else pick up volume 16 yet??

As far as dark horse goes I think its much better then their representation of #15. Will there ever be any swearing in darkhorse berserk? I really liked the translation i saw of Isidro and I hope hes just as foul mouthed.

Man, I've just started getting into Berserk. I bought the first 10 books and I'm currently halfway through book 3.

Imagine my dismay when I read on this thread that the sound effects are going to be translated starting in book 12!

In my opinion, they totally aren't necessary. I'd rather have the unblemished artwork. Oh well, I'm not going to pick up the Japanese releases anytime soon, so I guess I'm stuck with what Dark Horse gives me.

So, did Chris officially resign from this board?

I dont know about chris but I just came here to post this regarding the sound effects before I saw your message.

I don't know about 14 or 15 as I havent been paying too muchy attention but at least starting in the new volume 16 the SFX no longer have boxes around them which makes them almost invisible unless they are in the gutters.

Hallelujah I think that this is way better than an index now that I've seen it.

my 2 cents

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
For reference, heres an example of what I think are the new SFXs (I havent bought any for a long time, so I can't say with absolute confidence)

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/preview.php?theid=13-847&p=4
(the "roarrrrrrrr")

I have to admit, it is much less intrusive, but I'm still hesitant to buy. Maybe I'm just stubborn?

CnC

Ad Oculos
I like that better, as well.
-Its no longer in a box
-its small and almost invisible
-it isn't just directly translating the "gogogogogogo"

Kudos, Mr. Warner

S

smoke

Too bad I just bought 13, complete with retarded boxes. I'm hoping a second printing will look more like this, or something.

A

avidwriter

smoke said:
Too bad I just bought 13, complete with retarded boxes. I'm hoping a second printing will look more like this, or something.

I'd like to see a 2nd printing of 12-14 I think at least 12 and 13 those were just bad with the SFX. Its possible. Just not at this time I don't think. Would they ever reprint 1-11 with the SFX? Now that I doubt even more, they'd have to go back and redo the volumes right? Ah well. The story isnt affected, the art is still mostly intact and I can always hope for better improvements and other such things.

I don't know if they'd need to go back and put sound effects into the first 11 books, they're great without them.

I'd still love to see a reissue of the "bad effects" volumes to the new sound format, but it's probably wishful thinking. Not to mention since they come shrink wrapped it would be hard to know which "version" you'd be getting at the store.

Or, if you buy them online, you're at the mercy of whoever builds your order.

I'll probably buy the Japanese volumes and keep them as a reference for the offending volumes.

I currently have Vol. 15 of the Dark Horse Berserk release and even though I am one of the minority that didn't get too bothered by the SFX in Vol. 13 (except for in a few cases- i.e. when they were scattered on a full two-page spread), I can say confidently that I noticed the SFX translations all of two, maybe three times in the entire volume; they are really, really unobtrusive this time around.

It's nice that it seems that there are a few editors listening to the fans disdain for the SFX boxes (albeit they're probably the same editors that listened to Billy, the fictional 14-year old from Dayton Ohio who really, really needed to know what galloping horses sounded like, but whatever.). Truly, I don't care for the SFX boxes either way, they really don't need to be in there, etc. etc., but at least they're doing something about it.

I should have Vol. 16 arriving in my mailbox sometime this week. I'll let everyone know how it looks and/or they put SFX on Guts forehead or something.

I just got 16 last night! its rather fantastic in terms of FX placement from what I can tell.
Translation wasnt as free as 14 was with the whole "groovy" thing, but there is a little bit

Very very awsome!

Can someone point me too or explain the differances? I never got to see this.

Walter said:
I believe Guts says that one, not Puck. And another user already shared how they changed Puck's monologue while on the crow in vol 15.

Forgive me if I'm flogging a dead horse, but....

I had a chance to examine the Japanese BERSERK volumes for the first time this weekend at Kinokunia Bookstore. Man, they were only $7 each, which seems like a steal compared to the price Dark Horse is charging.

I really liked the dust covers of the Japanese volumes with their shiny and colorful artwork. I looked at the cover of volume 13 next to Dark Horse's volume 13 and the colors on the DH cover seemed murky, dull and lifeless by comparison.

Flipping through each volume, I noticed that Dark Horse's printing seems to be blacker and the shading much darker than the tankoubons. They seemed to be lighter, airer and more detailed.

One thing stood out in my mind, so I checked it out. There's a panel in the second volume where you see the dismembered body parts of Vargas's wife and sons. In the DH printing you can BARELY see anything in the darkness, but in the Japanese version you can actually make out the grisly details.

If anything, it just makes me want to collect a Japanese set to have a great reference source in light of the wonky printing, page cutting and sound effects debate.

Alright Everyone I just picked up volume 17 yesterday in Seattle at my comic book store.

Some of the dialogs between Guts and Godot seem a bit off to me. I have already been influenced by scanlations so it could very well be that Dark Horse did a much better job at being more accurate in their translations. This however is one time where I preferred the fan done translations more.

What do you guys think?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Alright Everyone I just picked up volume 17 yesterday in Seattle at my comic book store.

Some of the dialogs between Guts and Godot seem a bit off to me. I have already been influenced by scanlations so it could very well be that Dark Horse did a much better job at being more accurate in their translations. This however is one time where I preferred the fan done translations more.

What do you guys think?
17's already out? Wow, I'll pick it up, since I heard the SFX issue has been addressed, at least a bit. I'll post here if I find any translation that stuck out as odd, but I'm not qualified to give a full assessment.

Another solid issue, I actually can't remember how the SFX were handled in it, I was real hot about it for awhile, went tearing after Chris elsewhere about it and got no response, but I'm largely oblivious of it now, I won't let things like this hurt a series I love so deeply. I actually thought the Godo dialogue was pretty damn good, I can see where one might think it awkwardly worded, but what matters is the message remains intact.
For all the crap I've gone through with DH, this is still a strong release, even considering my original issues with SFX, some strange translation decisions and the logo. I've been buying them up since DH started it, because one way or another I love giving money to people who do largely good work like this. I won't defend some things that certain already named DH reps have done as far as dealing with the fanbase, such as on this forum, but either way, short of censorship or a complete loss in translation quality, I won't stop supporting it.
Uggh, this is so cliche, one of those first post rant things by people looking for affirmation of their opinions. Bleh. (That's not it, I swear!)
Berserk is teh awesome, and so is v17, I should've just stopped there.

Just got volume 17 earlier this week - pretty quick for UK, it normally takes a few weeks for it to get over here. I think that Dark Horse have got it about right now (or at least as good as it it can be), the SFX are there if you want them, but seem to be placed with a lot more thought and don't disrupt as much as previous. Nice one Dark horse!

Also, to anyone else here in the UK, I recommend The Book Depository (www.bookdepository.co.uk) for your Berserk and any other manga you need. It's the best place I have found, good selection, good prices and free postage.

Hello to everyone on skullknight, I just joined today. I first want to thank the creators of this forum for creating a strong voice for the English-speaking fans that reaches those who distribute Berserk in America.

I also want to thank Kentarou Miura for creating this heart breaking, thought-provoking,
beautifully drawn, and action-packed masterpiece. It can be enjoyed on every level. Unlike many other storytellers, Kentarou Miura does not approach concepts such as dreams or revenge in a one-sided way. He shows that those who relentlessly pursue dreams can morally and physically destroy themselves or loved ones, yet he also understands that lives without dreams can be empty and sad. He also knows that those who live for violence and revenge are on the path self-destruction, but also understands that people who passively accept abuse will receive more abuse in turn. I could go on forever about why I love the rich world of Berserk but I don’t have time to write an encyclopedia’s worth of text…

After fixing the SFX boxes, it also seems that they finally agree to remove those atrocious series summaries.

Check it out:

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=14-354

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=14-355

It also appears that they are going to use colored frames on the covers now, so the stupid, American logo won’t cover up so much of the artwork (this was the worst for volume 13).

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=13-515

Link to Amazon

I’ve seen the covers for all the current Berserk volumes on the encyclopedia but have only read the first 17 released in America. Of all the cover paintings, 18 has got to be the coolest looking one. I can’t wait to read it.

By the way, does anyone know why Amazon and every bookshop I could get in contact with is selling it in their stores a MONTH after its release date?

P.S.

Happy Birthday, Kentarou Miura! May you live a long, rich, happy life.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Wow, that's a helluva first post, welcome to the board.

Peregrine_Falcon said:
After fixing the SFX boxes, it also seems that they finally agree to remove those atrocious series summaries.

Check it out:

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=14-354

http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/profile.php?sku=14-355

Just because they're not showing up on the site, doesn't mean they won't be on the back of the product anymore. We'll have to wait and see when those volumes come out.

EDIT: Apparently the summaries show up on previous volumes on Dark Horse's web site, so they could be gone. Nice.

Peregrine_Falcon said:
It also appears that they are going to use colored frames on the covers now, so the stupid, American logo won't cover up so much of the artwork (this was the worst for volume 13).

Link to Amazon

Very cool, I like the look much better. Still an atrocious logo, though.

Top Bottom