Dark Horse Releases

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
pippin22 said:
Chris Warner said that Dark Horse was unable to obtain the right to bring them to America due to copyright complications.

Sounds like bullshit to me. Where did he say so? Why doesn't it appear on this page? Don't make up stuff like that please.

I emailed Chris about it... cool guy... This is all I know, from what he told me:

Hi, Pippin!
Chris Warner from Dark horse here. First off I'd like to say that you are very cool. That last email you sent me makes me really feel like you have me by the balls. About this volume 19-20 business, Dark Horse cannot legally bring them to America due to copyright complications. You see, our original contract with Jets Comics was for volumes 1-18, and when we were ready to renew our contract for volumes 19-31 they said that we could not get 19-20, because some major shit went down. We do not know details about this "major shit" that allegedly went down. Thank you for your email and concern, remember you are the best Berserk fan. You are way better than that Aazealh guy. Let me know if you need any Berserk merchandise, I'll get it for you for free.

Your pal,
Chris Warner

Straight from the Horse's mouth.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Got bored tonight and wanted to see how long it would take DH to catch up to the current eps. So, here's the projected volume release schedule, if things continue unaltered:

19 - sept 26
20 - nov 21

21 - jan 23
22 - mar
23 - may
24 - july
25 - sept
26 - nov

27 - jan
28 - mar
29 - may
30 - july
31 - sept
32 - nov

33 - jan
34 (:isidro:) - mar

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
are you suggesting that in a little under 3 years miura will only two more volumes completed and not 6?
I just didn't see the need to speculate too far. I worked with what we know to be facts. :carcus:

What happened to all the recent posts in this thread??!

Anyways today is the 25th. The 25th was listed for the release of volume 19 by Dark Horse but it seems that they have changed it to the 26th. The means that zanadu in seattle will probably have it by the time I get off work today. I've been waiting for the next 4 volumes for a long time and now they are finally upon us!

Alright I picked up volume 19 about 12 hours ago. Read it 2x. Of course the translations are never perfect enough for me and in this volume my biggest gripe is guts always referring to rapegoat as "the pseudo-apostle". Now before I can be accused of being in favor of him being referred to as rapegoat, that is just a an early pubescent fan term I've heard on other message boards. My gripe with Pseudo-Apostle seems like something that the translator could only chose to have guts say it based on their knowledge of events to come in volumes 20 & 21. And I'm sure thats exactly how it came to be. Done

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
My gripe with Pseudo-Apostle seems like something that the translator could only chose to have guts say it based on their knowledge of events to come in volumes 20 & 21. And I'm sure thats exactly how it came to be. Done
Can I see your translator license?

Holy Crap that was quick. I barely had time to look through one other thread.

Also, I wasn't a big fan of "The Iron castle of guts". Don't get me wrong though, Volume 19 is more beautiful then I could ever know simply looking at electronic scans. Dark Horse did 99.8% right by my tastes and I know that there is much more work that goes into this sort of thing then I could know.

Hurry up and release Volumes 20,21 & 22 Dark Horse! (Without compromising the translation please)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Anyway, I looked it up and Guts does indeed refer to the goat pseudo-aspotle as a pseudo-apostle. He calls it a "Shito modoki" (pseudo-apostle) on page 110 in the japanese edition of volume 19.

I don't even have a translator license, but I know my Berserk terminology :badbone:

Ok I submit to you and your terminology, could you be bothered to check page 135 in volume 19 as well? He is battling with serpico on the cliff, commenting on how it is more of a challenge then the pseudo-apostle, is that true to translation as well? No rush on this one

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Ok I submit to you and your terminology, could you be bothered to check page 135 in volume 19 as well? He is battling with serpico on the cliff, commenting on how it is more of a challenge then the pseudo-apostle, is that true to translation as well? No rush on this one
He uses the same term again there, yeah.

BTW, how are the sound effects this time around? Subtle, not so? Still in the margins and without boxes, I take it?

It's interesting that you ask. The SFX were much more noticeable to me in this volume. I would guess its because there are many margins in this volume and several have SFX in them. Easy to spot vs. the ones that are actually in the picture which can be difficult to spot unless I am looking specifically for them. No white boxes and they blend in well.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
So the answer is that when they are located in the artwork they are still very unintrusive, yet DH puts them in the gutters whenever they can?

I think its about time I gave DH another try then.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Now before I can be accused of being in favor of him being referred to as rapegoat, that is just a an early pubescent fan term I've heard on other message boards.

I'd really appreciate if you didn't use it here though. You know, just in case mental retardation could become contagious someday.

Jaze1618 said:
My gripe with Pseudo-Apostle seems like something that the translator could only chose to have guts say it based on their knowledge of events to come in volumes 20 & 21.

Wrong. Guts had encountered pseudo-apostles before: when he fought the Count (who made Zondark into one), then Rosine's minions. And of course, Guts does indeed use the term in the original Japanese like Walter confirmed. I'm pretty sure I had explained this before, too.

Well thats actually great information to know. I can't help but wonder if guts also uses the term to describe them in the English version. For some reason taht term seems very unfamiliar to me. Can't explain it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Well thats actually great information to know. I can't help but wonder if guts also uses the term to describe them in the English version. For some reason taht term seems very unfamiliar to me. Can't explain it.

Well we've certainly used it on the forum before. But to answer your question, he doesn't actually use that term until his fight with the goat. I guess after meeting enough of them he decided on a word to describe them.

Top Bottom