Dark Horse Releases

I doubt it. If Dark Horse isn't even willing to make the cover for 23 point the right way, I don't think that they would go out of their way to include a poster; that's expensive. If you read one of Chris Warner's earlier posts, he estimates that 97% of people who buy the DH releases of Berserk are 'casual readers', or people who wouldn't know or care about posters in the later volumes. But I hope that I'm wrong.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Peregrine_Falcon said:
I doubt it. If Dark Horse isn't even willing to make the cover for 23 point the right way, I don't think that they would go out of their way to include a poster
I really don't think that's a logical conclusion, at all. That being said, I also don't expect to see the posters in these releases. Then again, I've been pleasantly surprised by many recent changes in DH policy, so I could be proven wrong.

Walter said:
I really don't think that's a logical conclusion, at all.
I know that it looks like a stretch, but I feel that ignoring a glaring mistake like a flipped cover where Guts has a damaged left eye and metal right arm indicates that they like to cut more corners than usual. If they would let something that obvious slip by then I don't see why they would try to fix something much less obvious, such as an included poster, for an American 'casual reader' who will most likely never see the Japanese editions but who has seen thousands of pictures of Guts with the damaged eye on the other side.

But they do make some good choices, so I'm not completely pessimistic.

I'll just have to write more letters, convince other people to write letters, and hope for the best.

Some of the pages in my volumes are cropped wrong so that the text is sometimes cut off or something,you can allways tell what their saying, but half the word is off the page. I've even had a word on someones face. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but these are the Dark Horse releases.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
AMaineKillingFrost said:
Some of the pages in my volumes are cropped wrong so that the text is sometimes cut off or something,you can allways tell what their saying, but half the word is off the page. I've even had a word on someones face. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but these are the Dark Horse releases.

It's happened to others as well.

Draulix

FOOOD!!
I'm fluent in Japanese and English so there was really no reason for me to get the DH releases any how as I have all the Japan releases of the manga. Though I'm very curious to know IF the art in its self is Flipped. And by that I mean if taking the JPN art as the original, in the DH releases are they Flipped so that it accommodates for the English text to fit in well with reading left to right as opposed to the JPN text from Top to bottom, left to right? I know its been done for the manga "Parasite" by Hitoshi Iwaaki when they translated it to English.

I got the idea from Peregrine_Falcon's post with the 2 cover arts and you can totally tell by the direction of Griffith's horse facing left and right.

Draulix said:
Though I'm very curious to know IF the art in its self is Flipped. And by that I mean if taking the JPN art as the original, in the DH releases are they Flipped so that it accommodates for the English text to fit in well with reading left to right as opposed to the JPN text from Top to bottom, left to right? I know its been done for the manga "Parasite" by Hitoshi Iwaaki when they translated it to English.

The art in the book is not flipped; Guts still has a busted right eye and mechanical left arm. The only thing that's left to right orientation is the english text. The reader reads each bubble (and SFX translation) in a left to right fashion but transitions from panel to panel and page to page in a right to left fashion.

This should give you an idea:
http://www.darkhorse.com/profile/preview.php?theid=12-705&p=4

Draulix

FOOOD!!
Good that they keep it that way for Berserk, I thought it was totally retarted that they flipped it for the "Parasite" managa when in the JPN, one of the main character's name is derived from being right handed and called "Miggy" as in "righty" for English. But then in the ENG they translated it to "Lefty."

A

avidwriter

Funkmasta Zeph said:
It's actually very rare these days for english translatd manga to be flipped.
It's industry standard now.

It would be useless and stupid.

I got Volume 21 today, finally. Good volume. Dark Horse did a good job with the SFX and even put a * at one point with a translation for a word. I'd still like to see reprints of the volumes where they did the SFX terrible but its not a total loss. Its also all I have really since I don't know Japanese and doubt I'll ever be able to learn it to the point of reading.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
[quote author=Dark Horse representative]Starting with volume 22, each book will have a small, two-sided poster/pinup, just like in the Japanese editions[/quote]... in black and white :troll:

I wonder what portion of Berserk fandom, internationally and otherwise, actually tear/cut out the poster and put it on a wall. I know all mine are kept safe inside the manga. That's not to say I don't love these things. I just genuinely would like to know if Im being overly cautious about my Berserk manga :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I wonder what portion of Berserk fandom, internationally and otherwise, actually tear/cut out the poster and put it on a wall. I know all mine are kept safe inside the manga.

Same for mine. Even for the volumes I have in double or triple. I probably never could bring myself to do it. It's like tearing a page from the Bible! :judo:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
... in black and white :troll:

DO NOT WANT!!! :miura:

Walter said:
I wonder what portion of Berserk fandom, internationally and otherwise, actually tear/cut out the poster and put it on a wall. I know all mine are kept safe inside the manga. That's not to say I don't love these things. I just genuinely would like to know if Im being overly cautious about my Berserk manga :serpico:

Haha, I don't think you're being overly cautious; I do the same thing with mine. Then again, many people consider me to be overly cautious... :ganishka:

A

avidwriter

Walter said:
... in black and white :troll:

Its possible that they will have the poster attached in a *can't think of the word* way that it'll be easier to tear it out.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
avidwriter said:
Its possible that they will have the poster attached in a *can't think of the word* way that it'll be easier to tear it out.
I believe the word you're looking for is: perforated tear-sheet. :carcus:

And btw, I was just kidding about the posters being printed in black and white. Not sure if the troll emoticon made that clear or not...

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
And btw, I was just kidding about the posters being printed in black and white. Not sure if the troll emoticon made that clear or not...

Seemed clear to me. :guts:

A

avidwriter

Walter said:
I believe the word you're looking for is: perforated tear-sheet. :carcus:

Yea thats the word. Also yes I knew you were kidding about the B&W.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'd rather they save money by not including posters, which I also never remove, and put that towards fixing the reprints of the SFX Box edition volumes (or just upping the overall paper/ink quality, especially since the volumes get smaller). I would like to buy those particular volumes someday, but I'm waiting on that, possibly for the rest of my life. =)

Top Bottom