Dark Horse Releases

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Yeah, I saw that when I was flipping through the pages, Rakshas.  Don't let it get you down too much, we know what it's supposed to be. :serpico: They got "beherit" wrong, so I'm not surprised they messed up on Rakshas' name. :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Do I have a right to be super pissed off here? I mean RAKSAS?

Considering the fact it very obviously comes from the Indian name "Rakshasa," I do think you have a right to be pissed off.

Rhombaad said:
They got "beherit" wrong

Interesting, I didn't remember that. Probably blocked it out of my mind. What do they translate it as? Behelit?

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Well that's a common japanese to english l and r mixup. That's not uncommon or anything. After my bud read the new the new volume he called me right away to mock the name error. My new name according to him is "Handsome Rock Sauce".
My feelings are very hurt.

Yeah Aaz, One of the fellas I used to talk to in the chat room named Mercurii always said my name was great because in his language rakshas means "devil". Maybe I should just change my name to what spell check wants it to be. "Handsome Rickshaws." :schierke:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. Somehow, the lack of the H makes you seem less handsome - undignified even... Your mojo has been SULLIED.

I gave in and bought the Dark Horse volumes since the FX issue had improved. This isn't enough to make me stop buying them again, but they sure weird. Did they get a new translator or something, or maybe they were ordered to change stuff like with the Knight of Skeleton issue?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
A.C said:
I gave in and bought the Dark Horse volumes since the FX issue had improved. This isn't enough to make me stop buying them again, but they sure weird. Did they get a new translator or something, or maybe they were ordered to change stuff like with the Knight of Skeleton issue?

Nope, apparently they received numerous letters and emails asking them to do so. Vol. 13 was hit the worst, but from Vol. 15 on, they're barely noticeable. Initially I didn't want to get them either, but since I didn't own the Japanese ones, I figured I'd still show support for the product. Now it seems we're heading into translation issues again.

Oh, and in reference to the "Groovy" line in Vol. 14, I noticed in Hellsing Vol. 1 that when Alucard is kneeling before Integra after she discovers him in the basement, he utters, "What is thy bidding, my master?" Seems like Berserk isn't the only manga DH is producing that has movie one liners thrown in. It's pretty shameful.

I picked up book 23 in Seattle today. Wow, I read the scanlations back in the day but holy crap the art in full resolution is so gorgeous. Blows everything else released before it out of the water. This book felt noticably smaller then all before it however it took me the longest to read because each picture had so much to say. In awe..

Translations weren't too bad at all, Guts says the string "as if" 2 times on one page but otherwise a good job done as far as I'm concerned or can even tell.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I picked up mine about an hour ago.  It looks like they're calling the Millennium Falcon Arc the "Falcon of the Millennium Empire Arc" now.

A

avidwriter

Just read 23. Getting close to where I started to read the scans. Well another year. Not as much action as pushing the story fowaard but no complaints on my end. Not really a spoiler but I was surprised to see untranslated "kushan" speech.

I only saw Hawk when they mentioned Griffith.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
avidwriter said:
Not really a spoiler but I was surprised to see untranslated "kushan" speech.

It's the same in the Japanese volumes. It's something the reader isn't necessarily meant to understand, anyway.

A

avidwriter

Rhombaad said:
It's the same in the Japanese volumes. It's something the reader isn't necessarily meant to understand, anyway.

I know I figured that was the case but I was just surprised that Miura would include that. :miura: I guess we can't expect any less then the best from him eh.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
There's more of that untranslated sanscrit text when Daiba meets Guts and Co. So, it's not really THAT unique.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Worst one yet, IMO.

Created by Kentaro Miura, Berserk is a runaway manga locomotive, a crashing colossus of teeth-rattling action, spine-chilling horror, and taboo-breaking humor that fires the boilers of its devoted devotees and just fires the rest. Ashes to ashes!

This is from volume 24, which will be released this Wednesday.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a runaway manga locomotive, a crashing colossus of teeth-rattling action, spine-chilling horror, and taboo-breaking humor that fires the boilers of its devoted devotees and just fires the rest. Ashes to ashes!
runawaytrain.jpg

My only dissapoinment with volume 24 is that they chose Ivalera instead of Ivarella or the maligned elverella.

What is the real official translation anyways? Not according to DH. Thanks in advance.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
My only dissapoinment with volume 24 is that they chose Ivalera instead of Ivarella or the maligned elverella.

What is the real official translation anyways? Not according to DH. Thanks in advance.

There's no known official translation. "Ivalera" is the way it's spelt in the PS2 game's handbook, and while that's not a very reliable source, I can understand why DH would go for it. I've actually been spelling it like that myself for the same reason. As for "elverella", I've never seen that ridiculous spelling before but it's incorrect anyway.

Top Bottom