Dark Horse Releases

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Solarmaker said:
seriously, i mean miura has been writing berserk for 18 years. let me say that again, 18 years. why the hell does he only release chapters practically only when the planets are aligned? i mean i waited almost a whole year to read the latest 6 chapters and then at the end of those it said "miura-san will be taking a break."

and its not like hes been working on anything else right? if he was I'd understand but why does he string us all out like this? ohh...it's probably for the money huh?

I can't wait until Aaz, Wally and Griff see this.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Solarmaker, your post is not only poorly formulated and misplaced, but also disrespectful. You may be frustrated but that doesn't excuse it.

Solarmaker said:
seriously, i mean miura has been writing berserk for 18 years. let me say that again, 18 years.

For over 20 years, as a matter of fact.

Solarmaker said:
why the hell does he only release chapters practically only when the planets are aligned? i mean i waited almost a whole year to read the latest 6 chapters and then at the end of those it said "miura-san will be taking a break."

I doubt anyone here has an interest in how long you've waited to do anything. It's nothing remarkable. Also, they're called episodes and not chapters, and at the end of episode 301 it just said "to be continued". Get it right. Now, if you use the elements in your post and think a little bit, you should be able to come up with many hypotheses for the recent extended breaks. Like for example the possibility that after years of working on Berserk pretty much non-stop, Miura might want to take some time for himself. To take it slowly for a while, you know. Or maybe the fact that we're at the pivotal point of the series, and that a lot of preliminary work is required in order to produce a high quality manga. Because as you don't know for not having looked around on this forum before posting, Miura first plans the scenario, new designs, developments and the like during his breaks, and only then does he draw the episodes during the two weeks available between Young Animal issues.

Being as completely ignorant about the production of Berserk as you are, you really shouldn't be posting about it.

Solarmaker said:
and its not like hes been working on anything else right? if he was I'd understand but why does he string us all out like this? ohh...it's probably for the money huh?

And how exactly is an irregular publication supposed to earn him more money? Honestly it seems to me like you don't know what you're talking about. Do you even buy Young Animal? No you don't, so why even make such a comment?

lol, yup.. that was me ;x
when i see an auction i want, i do anything to win it [griffith style] :griffnotevil:

yeah, i shouldn't complain about the releases, though. i actually sold them twice because i wasn't aware they were available and english subbed online. i read up until the latest episode, but something so epic should be owned.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
VICTORIOUS march said:
lol, yup.. that was me ;x
when i see an auction i want, i do anything to win it [griffith style] :griffnotevil:
gennonanything.jpg

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Aazealh said:
Solarmaker, your post is not only poorly formulated and misplaced, but also disrespectful. You may be frustrated but that doesn't excuse it.

For over 20 years, as a matter of fact.

I doubt anyone here has an interest in how long you've waited to do anything. It's nothing remarkable. Also, they're called episodes and not chapters, and at the end of episode 301 it just said "to be continued". Get it right. Now, if you use the elements in your post and think a little bit, you should be able to come up with many hypotheses for the recent extended breaks. Like for example the possibility that after years of working on Berserk pretty much non-stop, Miura might want to take some time for himself. To take it slowly for a while, you know. Or maybe the fact that we're at the pivotal point of the series, and that a lot of preliminary work is required in order to produce a high quality manga. Because as you don't know for not having looked around on this forum before posting, Miura first plans the scenario, new designs, developments and the like during his breaks, and only then does he draw the episodes during the two weeks available between Young Animal issues.

Being as completely ignorant about the production of Berserk as you are, you really shouldn't be posting about it.

And how exactly is an irregular publication supposed to earn him more money? Honestly it seems to me like you don't know what you're talking about. Do you even buy Young Animal? No you don't, so why even make such a comment?

Man. Here I thought that I was getting the wrath.

Anywho, I have no problem with the translations provided from DH. As long as I can kick back, relax and read them anywhere besides infront of a monitor then I'm good to go.

I do love the fact that, as of late, DH has been pushing them out faster. It may just be me, though, but it really does seem like they're being released closer together than they used to be.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Anywho, I have no problem with the translations provided from DH.  As long as I can kick back, relax and read them anywhere besides infront of a monitor then I'm good to go.
On the whole, I agree with you. I just think Dark Horse could focus a little more on important elements, like, say when they confuse Causality (a very important and repeatedly mentioned concept in the series) with Karma. Problems like that can easily be resolved with more attention paid by the translators.

I do love the fact that, as of late, DH has been pushing them out faster.  It may just be me, though, but it really does seem like they're being released closer together than they used to be.
Nah, they've been coming out steadily every 2 months since volume 13, which I'm certainly grateful for. It used to be every 3 months, I believe. Which still isn't too bad.

A

avidwriter

I'd like if it was every month but even at this rate I think its this year or early next that we'll catch up to Japan and then it'll be a real waiting game. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
Man. Here I thought that I was getting the wrath.

Don't be mistaken, I'm being rather nice. It's not a shame to not know the intricate details of Berserk's publication, but it is irritating when people make meanspirited assumptions about it.

Johnstantine said:
Anywho, I have no problem with the translations provided from DH. As long as I can kick back, relax and read them anywhere besides infront of a monitor then I'm good to go.

They're better than the alternative of reading scans, that's for sure. However, what I think people complain about is the low production value of Berserk in the US. This is reflected in paper and ink quality, but also in the translations, which do take more time and effort to be more refined. And more time means the translator has to be paid more money. Sure, it's readable, but it's easy to see how the "hardcore" fans would want to see it get a better treatment.

Johnstantine said:
I do love the fact that, as of late, DH has been pushing them out faster. It may just be me, though, but it really does seem like they're being released closer together than they used to be.

First announced here years ago by Chris Warner himself! :badbone:

V

vanheat

Aazealh said:
They're better than the alternative of reading scans, that's for sure. However, what I think people complain about is the low production value of Berserk in the US. This is reflected in paper and ink quality, but also in the translations, which do take more time and effort to be more refined. And more time means the translator has to be paid more money.

Do other countries have higher production values and translations or is Japan the only place where Berserk is truly loved? I always thought the U.S. was really good besides the translation errors. I have my German Berserk and they seem cheap. No foldout posters and the book is 5 mm shorter. Then the cover is removable. As proof of the translation look no further than the names.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think he means Berserk isn't given as royal a treatment as say, Viz has done with Vagabond. The paper and print quality, attention to detail in the covers, integration of sound effects on the page and a thematically consistent logo are all things Viz has done better than Dark Horse in the treatment of these two series.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
I think he means Berserk isn't given as royal a treatment as say, Viz has done with Vagabond. The paper and print quality, attention to detail in the covers, integration of sound effects on the page and a thematically consistent logo are all things Viz has done better than Dark Horse in the treatment of these two series.

I can't wait for the day Viz buys the rights to Berserk and re-releases it. :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
vanheat said:
Do other countries have higher production values and translations or is Japan the only place where Berserk is truly loved? I always thought the U.S. was really good besides the translation errors. I have my German Berserk and they seem cheap. No foldout posters and the book is 5 mm shorter. Then the cover is removable. As proof of the translation look no further than the names.

Well there should be a removable dust jacket, that's normal. But to answer your question, not many foreign editions do a good job with it from what I've seen. The French edition is decent as far paper quality goes and it does have the posters, but the translations really suck. The translations in the Italian and Spanish editions aren't very good either. I guess the Korean edition probably has the least errors- but it still does have some.

Like Walter said though, I didn't mean to compare it with other adaptations but instead to point out that people complain because they feel Berserk is a high caliber work and deserves a more prestigious edition.

V

vanheat

Tis a shame especially with it being one man's life work, but thank you for the answers. I'll have to investigate the Korean edition, but I think I'll skip the Brazilian edition. I assumed Berserk sold better than Vagabond with it being around much longer and all. According to comipress it does in America but then I came across http://viz.com/news/promotions/inoue2/ and saw that Vagabond has sold over 48 million worldwide with 100 million in print. So maybe the budget is a little tighter for Berserk or Dark Horse (compared to Viz), but I'm sure it brings in enough to warrant a nicer edition. If only the people at DH liked Berserk a little more. Speaking of DH I was a little surprised by Chris Warners' posts at the end before he stopped posting. That would be cool if Chris Warner comes back with some more announcements.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
vanheat said:
I'll have to investigate the Korean edition, but I think I'll skip the Brazilian edition.

Well unless you read Korean I'd rather advise you to go with the Japanese edition directly. It's the best one.

vanheat said:
I assumed Berserk sold better than Vagabond with it being around much longer and all. According to comipress it does in America but then I came across http://viz.com/news/promotions/inoue2/ and saw that Vagabond has sold over 48 million worldwide with 100 million in print.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Berserk sells more than Vagabond in the USA nowadays, at least according to the various sales ranking I've seen. In Japan I know they used to be close to each other in terms of total volumes sold a few years ago, with Vagabond selling more volumes and quickly gaining on Berserk despite its age. It has most certainly gotten ahead of Berserk by now, especially since Berserk doesn't sell as well as it used to (with only one volume released last year though that's easy to understand). The last time I read anything about sales in YA was almost exactly a year ago, and at the time they announced that Berserk had sold over 27 million volumes worldwide, with 23 million exclusively in Japan. International sales may have picked up a bit since then, it's hard to tell. In any case it definitely hasn't reached 50 million.

vanheat said:
That would be cool if Chris Warner comes back with some more announcements.

It sure would, yeah.

S

smoke

I just picked up the Dark Horse tranlsation for volume 25 today, and about 10 pages of it are upside-down in the middle of the book.

Kind of a pain in the ass.

So, I'm wondering if I can return this to the store I bought it from? (Probably, right?) and also wondering if this is common among these Dark Horse releases. Anybody else seen this kind of anomaly in their mangaseses?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
If you have the receipt in most cases you need it. I have Vol. 25 in my hands and I didn't find that mistake in mine. Must have been a printer mistake or something else made by a peerson working in the prints.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
smoke said:
So, I'm wondering if I can return this to the store I bought it from? (Probably, right?) and also wondering if this is common among these Dark Horse releases. Anybody else seen this kind of anomaly in their mangaseses?
It's not in my vol 25.

A

avidwriter

smoke said:
I just picked up the Dark Horse tranlsation for volume 25 today, and about 10 pages of it are upside-down in the middle of the book.

Kind of a pain in the ass.

I had some printing errors in my Vol 13. I emailed darkhorse and they offered to replace it, I just had to mail it. Cost me maybe $2 but I got a crisp copy and a darkhorse keyring with the horse head thingy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dark Horse's Volume 28 comes out Tuesday, March 24th. My preorder has already been placed. I'm REALLY looking forward to how they translate "Hanafubuku Oh." I'm sure it will be "Flower Typhoon Emperor" or something  :void:

A

avidwriter

Walter said:
Dark Horse's Volume 28 comes out Tuesday, March 24th. My preorder has already been placed. I'm REALLY looking forward to how they translate "Hanafubuku Oh." I'm sure it will be "Flower Typhoon Emperor" or something :void:

Maybe just "Fairy King" *shrugs* :puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
avidwriter said:
Maybe just "Fairy King" *shrugs*  :puck:
Well, that'd be quite a huge cop out for them, then. And I don't expect that they'd do that, since they at least gave it an effort with Yobimizu no Tsurugi or Harawada no Shouki (not that I necessarily liked their translation choices, but it's clear they tried).

Walter said:
Dark Horse's Volume 28 comes out Tuesday, March 24th. My preorder has already been placed. I'm REALLY looking forward to how they translate "Hanafubuku Oh." I'm sure it will be "Flower Typhoon Emperor" or something :void:

Well, I just finished it and luckily they just went with "King Hanafubuku". Overall I think it was yet another solid volume from DH.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BLG said:
Well, I just finished it and luckily they just went with "King Hanafubuku".

Not translating a word has nothing to do with luck, it's just plain laziness. "Hanafubuku" doesn't mean anything in English, and that absence of translation makes it seem like it's a proper name, which it isn't. How are people going to know what it refers to? I don't understand that decision. If they had chosen not to translate difficult words in the past I would have understood to some extent, but this one isn't any harder than what you can find in volume 26.

Top Bottom