Dark Horse Releases

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BLG said:
The translations might not be up to everyone's expectations, but I'm still grateful for having Berserk in English.

Generally speaking, the simple fact that a commercial service is available doesn't automatically excuse said service for its poor quality. Especially since people are paying for it. Dark Horse isn't doing you a favor by releasing Berserk in English, they're deriving profit from a popular series. And if they weren't, someone else would be.

BLG said:
Endless discussion about what if's is a bit pointless.

Endless discussion about every aspect of Dark Horse's edition of Berserk is the purpose of this thread. That includes criticism and suggestions as to what could make it better. If you have nothing worth contributing, please refrain from posting in the future.

Aazealh said:
Generally speaking, the simple fact that a commercial service is available doesn't automatically excuse said service for its poor quality. Especially since people are paying for it. Dark Horse isn't doing you a favor by releasing Berserk in English, they're deriving profit from a popular series. And if they weren't, someone else would be.

Well, why are people here buying the DH releases? I get the feeling they want to support the publishing of Berserk in English, so I guess in that way they are grateful to DH. I guess it would be just the same if any other company had licensed it, but the way things are now we're all pouring money into DH's massive treasure vaults. What's your excuse?

Aazealh said:
Endless discussion about every aspect of Dark Horse's edition of Berserk is the purpose of this thread. That includes criticism and suggestions as to what could make it better. If you have nothing worth contributing, please refrain from posting in the future.

Criticism and suggestions are all fine by me. It's just that it sometimes feels like people can't put things into perspective.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BLG said:
Well, why are people here buying the DH releases? I get the feeling they want to support the publishing of Berserk in English, so I guess in that way they are grateful to DH.

No, they're buying it because they want to read Berserk both in English and in a convenient format they can own. And I fail to see how that relates to my point anyway.

BLG said:
I guess it would be just the same if any other company had licensed it

Obviously.

BLG said:
the way things are now we're all pouring money into DH's massive treasure vaults. What's your excuse?

Excuse for what? Did you not understand what I told you?

BLG said:
Criticism and suggestions are all fine by me. It's just that it sometimes feels like people can't put things into perspective.

Sounds to me like you are the one who can't put things into perspective, and who's been posting pointlessly in this thread. What are you doing here exactly, complaining about people complaining? Arguing that fans should have lower standards? Just so you know, it's not going to happen, so why don't you do us all a favor and stop wasting everybody's time, yours included? By the way, if discussions about "what ifs" aren't fine by you, then how could suggestions about hypothetical ameliorations be? They're the same thing.

The people you decry here have been pointing out real, existing flaws that could be fixed if DH was willing to go the extra mile (or voicing out things they'd like to see in a deluxe edition if it were to be made). And if they feel there's a demand for it, they just might. Just like they changed the release schedule to a faster one when people asked for it. You, however, have added nothing constructive to the discussion.

Me, I got the DH releases because while keeping up with the translations here (thanks eternally to the fan translators!) did sort of keep me up to date with what's going on in the Berserk world, the art itself is stunningly great to see, and searching out illegal 'scanlataions' or whatever they're called, is just a moral boundry I could never bring myself to cross.

Plus, they look beautiful, all lined up on my bookshelf. :slan:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
BLG, as I've already said multiple times in this thread, I am buying and supporting the DH releases as they come out. I already own most of them. However, while on the whole the translations are good, there is room for improvement, and sometimes it appears they're just being lazy about them.

A

avidwriter

26 filled up my top shelf on my book case so starting with 27 I had to double layer it, not sure what I'm gonna do yet, don't think I want to stack them. Doubt that's good for the books. Its conflicting now, I want 28 etc to come out faster but within about a year we'll be caught up to Japan and the wait will be even longer so its bad either way really. :mozgus:

Any ideas for how to store the manga? My other shelves are full and I don't want to invest in another bookcase. Any unique ideas or am I out of luck here?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
avidwriter said:
26 filled up my top shelf on my book case so starting with 27 I had to double layer it, not sure what I'm gonna do yet, don't think I want to stack them. Doubt that's good for the books. Its conflicting now, I want 28 etc to come out faster but within about a year we'll be caught up to Japan and the wait will be even longer so its bad either way really. :mozgus:

Any ideas for how to store the manga? My other shelves are full and I don't want to invest in another bookcase. Any unique ideas or am I out of luck here?
Mine fill up just 2 rows on a bookcase, japanese and english editions. I'd suggest selling off those _other_ books that are cluttering your Berserk space :void:

As a totally random note, starting with volume 31 the series' price will be increased from 13.95 to 14.95.
*gasp* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!</sarcasm>

A

avidwriter

Possibly because of the longer gaps. However its more likely just because their cost translate, print etc is going up.

Well I just hit up Books Kinokuniya and got me my Berserk 28, along with Vagabond 28-29. Which reminds I need to wander up the road to Vagabond Inn one o' these days.

Back to DH's 28. Did anyone else get a volume where the posters have multicolored squares all over one side of each poster? It sucks. I mean I own all the Japanese volumes, but I don't know what happened with this one. Is it just me or is this the case with everyone? Go Dark Horse.
:schierke:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Proj2501 said:
Back to DH's 28. Did anyone else get a volume where the posters have multicolored squares all over one side of each poster? It sucks. I mean I own all the Japanese volumes, but I don't know what happened with this one. Is it just me or is this the case with everyone? Go Dark Horse. :schierke:

The posters that came with mine look normal to me. Sorry man, it looks like you got a bad copy. :(

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Back to DH's 28. Did anyone else get a volume where the posters have multicolored squares all over one side of each poster? It sucks. I mean I own all the Japanese volumes, but I don't know what happened with this one. Is it just me or is this the case with everyone? Go Dark Horse.
:schierke:

Looks like a printing mishap, like Rhombaad said. I suggest you get it exchanged for a good copy as soon as possible.

I just want to post my pace. Eventually I'll make a animation or something with pictures.

Week 1 (4/29/09)
Volume 18 (Ironically 18 is my lucky number)

Week 2 (5/13/09)
Volume 1, 24

Week 3 (5/23/09)
Volume 2,3,5

PICT0005.jpg

And on we go. ($15.00 a pop)

-Pay no attention to the camera clock, it tells me its wrong everytime I turn it on too lol.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
And on we go. ($15.00 a pop)

-Pay no attention to the camera clock, it tells me its wrong everytime I turn it on too lol.
You can get them for $11 on Amazon. Order 3 at a time like I do and you get free shipping. (even more insane prices elsewhere: http://product.half.ebay.com/Berserk-17_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ59064046)

Also, your camera clock is off. :troll:

Ditto.

However,

Buying them from Amazon for 11.00 may still give Miura the same amount of royalties as buying them from your local comic book store for 15.00. I have a few engineering friends at Amazon and as a company they are amazing at eliminating waste and finding lots and lots of innovative ways to keep cost down and be a on line retailer with competitive prices despite costs of shipping.

As a fan of berserk I wouldn't buy them for $2.50 at the other site as that money almost certainly is not going to Miura. I imagine much like in the video game industry when you buy (albeit used) games like new from gamestop, a week after it came out, for $10 less than the price of a brand new game. The game publishers, or developers aren't getting any more money from those sales but Gamestop make profits from their markup on the initial sale, and then they make a killing on the many returned games games they get and resell a week after its been released

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I understand all that,and Im not trying to antagonize. I appreciate Death posting his collection.

I only provided the extremely cheap link as a defense against some fans who say buying the series is too expensive (i.e. fucking idiots).

Walter said:
I understand all that,and Im not trying to antagonize. I appreciate Death posting his collection.

I only provided the extremely cheap link as a defense against some fans who say buying the series is too expensive (i.e. fucking idiots).

Walter, I hope I did not come off as if I were reprimanding anyone. I only meant to reinforce that it is good to know who you're dollars are supporting, and if who they are supporting is in alignment with your principles, then by all means keep doing it.

I however have to have Berserk the first week and would not wait to buy three at once for 11.00 on Amazon with the free shipping. I will pay 15.00 for that luxury

I noticed that on Dark Horse's website, each volume of Berserk is available for purchase (through TFAW.com) except for volume 15.

Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Borders all show it as unavailable.

Was there something wrong with the initial print run? Is Dark Horse reissuing it for some reason?

Luckily I ran down to my local Kinokuniya bookstore and grabbed it, but the whole situation seems really strange.

Didn't know if anyone could shed light on the subject....

:???:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I think they just didn't print enough. I had trouble tracking it down recently as well. There was a loooong delay in it shipping out of Amazon (3 weeks). WHen I checked back after it shipped, I saw there were "only 2 copies available, order now!" So, I'd say they probably just didn't print enough.

I guess this is a good sign? :serpico:

Top Bottom