Dark Horse Releases

That's surprising, given how long the volume's been available. But good news for Berserk in general from a sales perspective.

At first I feared there was some grievous error in translation that needed to be rectified in a 2nd edition, so they were letting the 1st die out before putting it into circulation.

I have had trouble, myself, acquiring the Dark Horse releases too, they always appear to be out of stock (this happened with me, for at least three volumes). Thankfully, I found another provider to buy from. It is good to hear that it is selling this well, wherabouts would you wager the sales of the manga out of Dark Horses' catalogue? In the top five? Or is that too optimistic?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Spencer said:
It is good to hear that it is selling this well, wherabouts would you wager the sales of the manga out of Dark Horses' catalogue? In the top five? Or is that too optimistic?

Berserk is actually Dark Horse's best selling manga. Here are some informative links:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13211.html
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13994.html
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13691.html
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14313.html
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14744.html

Aazealh said:

lol

Guess that settles it then. I'm quite surprised, considering some of the property that DH have (not that I'm saying Berserk isn't better, but I always hear about other mangas by DH moreso) so it's a really pleasant surprise to me to hear that. Thanks for the links.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
I also grabbed volume 29 today. Still only $13.95. Wasn't it reported to be going up in price?

From what was said earlier in the thread, it'll start with volume 31.

Death May Die said:
I like the small posters that come with it. Are these exclusive to the Volume or are these works that can be found in the ART BOOKS?

There hasn't been an artbook in years, so unless you buy YA you won't find those anywhere else.

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
I think it's pretty obvious they'll raise the price because they'll start being stalled by catching up to Miura not long after.

I just wish it didn't have to be 31, that's like the worst volume in the series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Funkmasta Zeph said:
I just wish it didn't have to be 31, that's like the worst volume in the series.

No way, 31 has some pretty amazing moments. The Blaze Rod, Daiba, the Kundalini, and then Ganishka's talk with Guts, followed by his fight against apostles. What's not to like in it?

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
Worst of series doesn't mean bad, just comparitively.

It has less substance for my buck then most of the rest. I'm not so fond of nearly pure battle volumes (see also 25).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
31 the worst of the series? Well, I suppose everyone's entitled to their [shitty] opinions.

Call me picky but I prefer
----
SK.net
Guts - Hey

Guts - It's not a sin to at least tell us why

page 04

Serpico - I have nothing more to say

Guts - It would've been nice to have fought against you one more time

Serpico - There is no reason for that anymore
---

Over

---

DH

Guts - Hey

Guts - There's no harm in at least telling us the reason is there?

page 04

Serpico - There is nothing for me to say on this matter.

Guts - I wanted to try havin' a fight with you again

Serpico - That...
...motivation no longer exists
---

Maybe a subtle difference but that scene was the only thing that stuck out for me in the DH volume 29. So overall a job well done by Darkhorse. Thanks Darkhorse!!

PS. in the last episode of DH's volume 29, Serpico says that the space between the columns is 'narrower than usual', vs each column being thicker than usual.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Call me pick but I prefer

DH's translation seems fine to me. I'm not a big fan of the way they translated Guts' last line in the part you quoted but it's all good anyway.

Jaze1618 said:
PS. in the last episode of DH's volume 29, Serpico says that the space between the columns is 'narrower than usual', vs each column being thicker than usual.

DH is correct. Saiki made a mistake back then.

Well, I'm not so lucky, I had to pay around $17 for most volumes and around $9-$11 for a few others, and I still can't find volume 9, they told me it MAY be shipped from the USA in about 1 month along with volume 29 but until then my collection is still incomplete.

I'm OK with the translations, the whole idea of the events and the story is kept and that's all that matters after all.

The wife just got caught up to the Dark Horse releases that we own (up to volume 27), so I was going to order the next two just to find out that volume 29 has a 1-3 month shipping date on Amazon?! Oy! Apparently looking back in the thread, this seems to be a common occurrence. The only place around here that I can find that even sells Berserk is the FYE in the Mall of America... Curse you Amazon for forcing me to have to fight my way through that nightmare of a place!

Is Amazon's international shipping good? I was thinking it would be best to buy volume 9 and Vagabond's volume 1 and 2 from them rather than wait a month until they are shipped to my local comic store.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CowTip said:
The wife just got caught up to the Dark Horse releases that we own (up to volume 27), so I was going to order the next two just to find out that volume 29 has a 1-3 month shipping date on Amazon?! Oy! Apparently looking back in the thread, this seems to be a common occurrence. The only place around here that I can find that even sells Berserk is the FYE in the Mall of America... Curse you Amazon for forcing me to have to fight my way through that nightmare of a place!

You can always purchase it from Dark Horse's online store, Things From Another World. That's what I do and it usually ships within a few days of the release date.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I've looked on a few other online shops out of curiosity and they all marked volume 29 as out of stock. So following Rhombaad's advice, you might want to try this: http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Berserk-Volume-29-TPB___338759

Joaquin8911 said:
Is Amazon's international shipping good? I was thinking it would be best to buy volume 9 and Vagabond's volume 1 and 2 from them rather than wait a month until they are shipped to my local comic store.

Depends on where you live. To Mexico the shipping fees are probably not that bad.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Cronus said:
Volume 29 just shipped for me today from Amazon, woot! :guts:
You bastard, you probably bought the last copy!

But at least I have FF4: The After Years at home :ganishka:

How are the Dark Horse "nick and dent" volumes from TFAW.com? I've only bought mint copies thus far, but I'm wondering if the condition is decent to get a few volumes at a reduced price.

OmegaSeamaster said:
How are the Dark Horse "nick and dent" volumes from TFAW.com? I've only bought mint copies thus far, but I'm wondering if the condition is decent to get a few volumes at a reduced price.

I got a few copies from there, and they were perfectly fine. I figure it's manga, not exactly a limited edition hardback or anything.

Walter said:
But at least I have FF4: The After Years at home :ganishka:

You are so dead to me.

Top Bottom