Dark Horse Releases

Week 1 (4/29/09)
Volume 18 (Ironically 18 is my lucky number)

Week 2 (5/13/09)
Volume 1, 24

Week 3 (5/23/09)
Volume 2,3,5

Week 4 (5/28/09)
Volume 6, 29

UPDATE

Week 5 (6/4/2009)
Volume 4,7,8,9

PICT0063.jpg

In volume 9, I remember when Guts is about to kill "100" men to save casca he refers to her in the anime as "Shes a real bitch", and the first time I read through the manga I could of sworn it said the same thing. But they might of changed it, as Guts then refers to her as "A real nightmare."

-LOL, "She'll bite it right off. ~Probably would too."

Jaze1618 said:
Also for anyone who if curious.

Magnifico = Magnifico

Whoops!! it looks like the auto correct on this website changed my post. His name by Darkhorse does not have the 'g' in it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
Wait, his name is Man-ifico? (darn autocorrect)

That sounds terrible :???:

It's a direct transliteration of マニフィコ. Thing is, the name's written like that in Katakana because that's approximately how it sounds in Italian. The 'g' isn't really pronounced. However it should be written.

Just add this to the list of DH's mistakes.

Bleh, well... I guess it's good so stupid non-Italians like me learn to pronounce his name the right way, but I like how Magnifico (with the g pronounced) sounds so much better just from how cheesy and triumphant it sounds. :ganishka:

Yes, I'm dumb. :sad:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
It's a direct transliteration of マニフィコ. Thing is, the name's written like that in Katakana because that's approximately how it sounds in Italian. The 'g' isn't really pronounced. However it should be written.

Just add this to the list of DH's mistakes.

Ugh, I take back what I said. :azan:

Week 1 (4/29/09)
Volume 18 (Ironically 18 is my lucky number)

Week 2 (5/13/09)
Volume 1, 24

Week 3 (5/23/09)
Volume 2,3,5

Week 4 (5/28/09)
Volume 6, 29

Week 5 (6/4/2009)
Volume 4,7,8,9

UPDATE

(6/13/2009)
Volume 10, 12

th_PICT0083.jpg

EDIT: No update this week guys, the guy wasn't in last week when I picked up Volume 10, 12. So he never pre-ordered them. I talked to him today, mentioned I don't have Volume 11, so he agreed to order everything up to volume 20. Which, I hope he get them I'll end buying most of them. I might be able to step up to Aaz's buying 8+ volumes at once challenge, nehehehehe! :void:

skullnights_pants

I'm a llama!
a bit off topoic but who the hell writes the chapter snyopsis on the back on each DH manga? it makes it sound like a shit story to any stranger who picks it up.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
skullnights_pants said:
a bit off topoic but who the hell writes the chapter snyopsis on the back on each DH manga? it makes it sound like a shit story to any stranger who picks it up.
Very likely Chris Warner, the editor of Dark Horse in charge of Berserk. But, we just don't know. Yes, they are truly awful. Here's a list of them from back in 2006 when we were still keeping up with these horrid things:

handsome rakshas said:
Alright, here comes the cheese!

Vol.1
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is manga mayhem to the extreme-violent, horrifying, and mercilessly funny- and the wellspring for the internationally popular anime series. Not for the squeamish or the easily offended, Berserk asks for no quarter- and offers none!

Vol.2
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is meat-grinder manga at it's most extreme - gruesome, violent, and darkly funny - and the inspiration for the wildly popular anime series. Look elsewhere if your craving sweetness, subtlety, and good manners. Berserk is the bull in the graphic-novel China shop - and who wouldn't watch a bull getting medieval on the dishes?

Vol.3
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is exactly what its title advertises, a savage, gruesome, and often darkly funny roller- coaster ride, inspiring the internationally popular anime series. If you're looking for graphic fiction to take home to Grandma, this ain't it-unless Granny smokes cigars and rides a Harley!

Vol.4
Created by Kentarou Miura and the inspiration for the wildly popular anime series, Berserk is an unholy hurricane of blood, carnage, and horror! Brutal, crude, and darkly funny, Berserk is not exactly for the theater crowd...unless the theater features pit fights!

Vol.5
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is maniacal manga to the max-relentless, harrowing, and gruesomely funny-and the inspiration for the popular anime series. If you're looking for graphic fiction tied up with a pretty, pink bow, you'd better run for the hills- because Berserk will show you what you can do with that bow!

Vol.6
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a bloodstained manga juggernaut, equal parts savage violence, gruesome horror, and black humor packed inside a flaming powder keg and rolled downhill into a crowd of terrified civilians. Let the weak-kneed get out of the way, 'cause Berserk ain't about to give up any ground!

Vol.7
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is pedal-to-the-metal manga madness, a raging blur of savage action, grisly horror, and dark humor that has inspired legions of rabid fans and rendered aghast hordes of terrified civilians. Duck and cover and look out for flying glass, because Berserk is going ...well, Berserk!

Vol. 8
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is medieval manga mania at its bloodstained best, a volatile concoction of raging action, abyssal horror, and graveyard humor that has the initiates lining up for more and the fainthearted heading for the hills. Thank you sir, may I have another!

Vol. 9
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a bleeding-edge manga battering ram, an epic fantasy of intense action, unsettling horror and gallows humor that has spawned legions of devoted readers and scores of horrified onlookers. You can’t handle the truth!

Vol. 10
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a smoking manga chainsaw, a sweeping epic of gripping action, ghastly horror, and graveyard humor that has produced an army of fanatical readers and countless shellshocked civilians. Duck and cover!

Vol. 11
Created by Kentarou Miura, Berserk is a roaring manga dragster, a grand epic of red-line action, white-knuckle horror, and black hearted humor that has spawned a fervent legion of acolytes driving a host of horrified nonbelievers in their wake. The bell tolls for thee, puny mortal!

Edit: Thanks to Walter or Aaz or both for filling in the missing parts. Makes the list pretty and complete! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Wow, I never noticed.

Does the young animal versions have anything on them? Anything to compare in terms of selling the story to the reader?
I assume you mean the Hakusensha volumes, because Young Animal is a magazine that publishes the individual episodes as they're released, along with many other series.

But no, there is nothing like that on the back of the Japanese editions. As Aaz has already posted in this thread, the back of them looks like this:

Backcover.jpg

The inside dustjacket of the japanese volumes has a brief description of the volume, along with a cute/unique picture. However it is not what DH bases their summaries on.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I think the french volumes have the dust sleeve with puck on it too but i can't check my 2 volumes cause they are packed. I just got used to the dark horse stuff the write on the back (I just read the summary and not the last paragraph with those awefull things written in them, you know the one Walter just posted )

I have a few questions about Dark Horse's Translation and the original, Japanese version

1. In Dark Horse, Guts talks with a little bit of accent; He uses words like ain't, drops the g's at the end of words, etc. Did Guts talk with any accent in the Japanese version? If not, was there something distinct about his talking style?

2. Sentences get split up between bubbles in the English edition of the manga fairly often. Did Kentarou Miura write the bubbles this way for some sort of literary effect or is this an effect of trying to fit translated words in a fixed space?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
seppuku said:
I have a few questions about Dark Horse's Translation and the original, Japanese version

1. In Dark Horse, Guts talks with a little bit of accent; He uses words like ain't, drops the g's at the end of words, etc. Did Guts talk with any accent in the Japanese version? If not, was there something distinct about his talking style?
In the original text, Guts speaks as you'd expect an uncouth warrior with a 6-foot-long sword to. However, there's really no exact way to nail his gruffness. So Im not really surprised DH turned him into something of a hick...

2. Sentences get split up between bubbles in the English edition of the manga fairly often. Did Kentarou Miura write the bubbles this way for some sort of literary effect or is this an effect of trying to fit translated words in a fixed space?
In the Japanese volumes, the text in the bubbles is deliberately spaced, normally among phrases or sentences. Dark Horse fits the translated text where they best can, given the image constraints.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
seppuku said:

No, he doesn't really have an accent. What defines his speech is that he never speaks politely. And that sticks out in Japanese. But in English it's practically impossible to convey. The type of speech you're referring to, using slang and common speech, would probably be more fitting of Isidro and/or Puck.

To give more examples, SK, Void, Ganishka and even Zodd speak like old men (and for some of them, old men from the 18th century).

seppuku said:

Like Walter said, Miura does carefully split his sentences in the manga for an added literary effect. Now, the problem is that sentence structure is very different between Japanese and English, so Dark Horse just tries to fit the text in the bubbles as best as they can. This means they might also have to stick to short sentences at times because of a lack of space, even though longer ones would have been better.

Thank you, Walter and Aazealh.

Assuming Berserk volume 35 isn't completed between now and March of next year, Dark Horse will have finally caught up with the Japanese volumes by next March. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Aazealh said:
No, he doesn't really have an accent. What defines his speech is that he never speaks politely. And that sticks out in Japanese. But in English it's practically impossible to convey. The type of speech you're referring to, using slang and common speech, would probably be more fitting of Isidro and/or Puck.
Yeah, I remember my japanese sensei laughing at Puck because he spoke with a "southern accent," which is apparently HI-larious to the japanese.

To give more examples, SK, Void, Ganishka and even Zodd speak like old men (and for some of them, old men from the 18th century).
And the only way she could describe to me Void's speech from the Eclipse (besdies saying it was VERY difficult to translate) is that he "sounds like he's from the bible."

She didn't give any particular pointers to Gut's speech/accent, except to say that he was informal. All the time.

Oburi

All praise Grail
The Perineum Falcon said:
Yeah, I remember my japanese sensei laughing at Puck because he spoke with a "southern accent," which is apparently HI-larious to the japanese.
And the only way she could describe to me Void's speech from the Eclipse (besdies saying it was VERY difficult to translate) is that he "sounds like he's from the bible."

She didn't give any particular pointers to Guts speech/accent, except to say that he was informal. All the time.

Daym this stuff interesting. I know close to nothing about the language so any more interesting facts on the subject are much obliged. :guts:

X

Xem

Oburi said:
Daym this stuff interesting. I know close to nothing about the language so any more interesting facts on the subject are much obliged. :guts:

Well to start, here in the ol' South, damn is actually a 2-syllable word. DA-YUM~! Get it? :troll:

Anyway, I'm itching like a crack fiend to get Volume 29 of Berserk.. it's the first volume in a couple years I wasn't able to buy immediately when it came out due to budget restraints. I'm starting to think I might wait until AWA (convention here in ATL), and just buy 29, 30, and possibly 31 (if it's out in time) all at once for 5$ a pop. There's rarely anything I want to buy at conventions nowadays since I'm pretty old school when it comes to anything outside of Berserk, so this would give me more of a reason to visit the merchandise hall.

Top Bottom