Dark Horse Releases

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I purchased one of the first copies released and mine has the same mistake as yours, Skull Knight. I'm glad they fixed it with the reprints, so I've ordered another copy of Vol. 1, in addition to Vol. 4. My original copy of Vol. 4 has terrible print quality with some pages having the ink so light that you can hardly see any of Miura's art. Hopefully, the reprints of that volume had this issue corrected. If not, there's always the Japanese versions. :guts:

I never noticed this from my 2003 edition. I since had to rebuy volume 1 since I lent it out and it was never returned. I am glad that this should be fixed.

I'm relieved to hear that there are fixed copies available of the Dark Horse Volume 1. So is the bar code still the same? The real question to those who have these copies: is the picture quality any better or still poor? Obviously I will be re-buying it either way just for the proper text, but does anyone out there have both English and Japanese copies who can compare them side by side? My Japanese Volume looks so far superior to the English one, that the Dark Horse could practically pass as some bootleg! The cover looks bad...really bad. The inside pages look like improperly scaled down scans, I don't know how else to describe it so maybe I will just have to take some pics and post them. :carcus:

And does anyone know of any other volumes in particular that were re-done? It's been a long time since I flipped through mine but if I knew what to look for, I would know what I need to replace. :slan:

As for me, I like Dark Horse volumes, of course there couple things I don't really like... Parental advisory stickers and Posters, for example, they could just put them inside the book, instead of gluing them to the cover. The paper is good, I can't compare it to Japanese, but in my country they use the cheapest paper for the manga, so it's really fine. :serpico:
I still have some books missing, and I wanted to order them from here http://www.deepdiscount.com , except volume 30, the reason is well-known, so I will wait for the reprint. And I wanted to ask about reprints, because earliest volume I'm missing is 23, what if I will order it in a year or something, they are not gonna run out of it, right?

ZeroEO said:
Berserk%201-13.JPG

You can see how some are almost a yellow colour while others are white and grey.
And about that, yellow... wow, that's new, I hope I won't get the yellow ones. :isidro:

P.S. Sorry for some mistakes I think I have made.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
And about that, yellow... wow, that's new, I hope I won't get the yellow ones. :isidro:
Couldn't that yellowing just be from age? I know crappy, newspaper-print quality pages will yellow with age quickly, especially in humid environments.

Walter said:
Couldn't that yellowing just be from age? I know crappy, newspaper-print quality pages will yellow with age quickly, especially in humid environments.
It could be, but maybe ZeroEO bought them in that state or just often read some of them in a tub. :serpico:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Konketsuji said:
As for me, I like Dark Horse volumes, of course there couple things I don't really like... Parental advisory stickers and Posters, for example, they could just put them inside the book, instead of gluing them to the cover.

The parental advisory stickers come off really easily and don't leave any of the glue behind, so I'm not sure what the problem is there. As for the posters, they're stapled inside the Japanese volumes, so that's not really Dark Horse's fault.

Rhombaad said:
The parental advisory stickers come off really easily and don't leave any of the glue behind, so I'm not sure what the problem is there. As for the posters, they're stapled inside the Japanese volumes, so that's not really Dark Horse's fault.
There were some guys saying it left some sticky stuff on the cover and someone even ripped piece of the cover, I don't wanna risk. :serpico: Didn't know about Japanese volumes, sorry DH.=) By the by, in 21 volume there was an epic moment with Griffith and kneeling Zodd, art moved approximately 1 cm down leaving some blank space on the top. :puck: Maybe they'll fix that in later reprints.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
By the by, in 21 volume there was an epic moment with Griffith and kneeling Zodd, art moved approximately 1 cm down leaving some blank space on the top. :puck: Maybe they'll fix that in later reprints.
Yeah that's just shoddy work, and shouldn't happen. Since I work in the newspaper industry, and have a printing press not 50 feet away from me, I have a good understanding of how those kinds of errors happen. And while I'm sure the equipment DH uses is different, I doubt it's MUCH different than the process I'm about to detail:

A master copy is printed first. Proof-readers will look through the master copy and ensure that the pages were printed properly and are aligned on the printer. If this process doesn't happen, errors can crop up. After that, the master copy is printed EN MASSE, which is what you see on the news stands. Now, some errors can still happen if the page slips during the printing, but it's generally rare, and those problems are usually more a sign that the master wasn't proof-read properly. :puck:

Needless to say, my Japanese copy of vol 21 doesn't have that problem. And if they can do it nearly perfectly, so can Dark Horse.

I'm curious, has anyone here had any luck contacting DH about reprints? I (and i'm sure many others) would like to pick up a copy of volume 15 at a respectable price but DH haven't responded to my E-mail asking if they plan to do another run. It's come to my attention that volume 11 is now suffering a similar fate and they haven't responded to questions regarding this either.

Walter said:
Yeah that's just shoddy work, and shouldn't happen. Since I work in the newspaper industry, and have a printing press not 50 feet away from me, I have a good understanding of how those kinds of errors happen. And while I'm sure the equipment DH uses is different, I doubt it's MUCH different than the process I'm about to detail:

A master copy is printed first. Proof-readers will look through the master copy and ensure that the pages were printed properly and are aligned on the printer. If this process doesn't happen, errors can crop up. After that, the master copy is printed EN MASSE, which is what you see on the news stands. Now, some errors can still happen if the page slips during the printing, but it's generally rare, and those problems are usually more a sign that the master wasn't proof-read properly. :puck:

Needless to say, my Japanese copy of vol 21 doesn't have that problem. And if they can do it nearly perfectly, so can Dark Horse.
Thanx, for explaining how the system works. Damn you proof-readers! :serpico:

JezzaX said:
I'm curious, has anyone here had any luck contacting DH about reprints? I (and i'm sure many others) would like to pick up a copy of volume 15 at a respectable price but DH haven't responded to my E-mail asking if they plan to do another run. It's come to my attention that volume 11 is now suffering a similar fate and they haven't responded to questions regarding this either.

So they ran out of volume 15? :???: Hope that's not gonna happen with 23d, I still miss that. Btw, I saw volume 15 and 11 in Outland store in Oslo, Norway two weeks ago for 140 NOK.

Funkmasta Zeph

Finely made wine since 1840
Konketsuji said:
There were some guys saying it left some sticky stuff on the cover and someone even ripped piece of the cover, I don't wanna risk. :serpico:

They're bullshitting you, there's nothing to worry about the stickers at all.

Konketsuji said:
Thanx, for explaining how the system works. Damn you proof-readers! :serpico:

So they ran out of volume 15? :???: Hope that's not gonna happen with 23d, I still miss that. Btw, I saw volume 15 and 11 in Outland store in Oslo, Norway two weeks ago for 140 NOK.

I can't believe they'd just exhaust the supply of volume fifteen and never reprint it. I too needed it and couldn't find it anywhere....luckily my local Kinokuniya bookstore had one copy left in mint condition.

Funkmasta Zeph said:
They're bullshitting you, there's nothing to worry about the stickers at all.
I don't know, didn't seem like they do. But I'll definitely remove the stickers someday. :serpico:

OmegaSeamaster said:
I can't believe they'd just exhaust the supply of volume fifteen and never reprint it. I too needed it and couldn't find it anywhere....luckily my local Kinokuniya bookstore had one copy left in mint condition.
I got my copy in Boston couple years ago. Still hoping that no gonna happen with my missing 23. :void:

Picked up volume 31 today. I think DH did a really GREAT job with this one. At first It seemed way too thin and I was getting pissed that they didn't switch back to the normal paper stock. But then I compared it to the older volume on the shelf and it was the right size.

I love these episodes so much better in high quality real life.

If you have questions about the localization of volume 31. Ask me anything.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I also got my volume 31 and it isn't anywhere near as thin as 30. Plus, the price is a buck higher now. Still, though, it's one of my favorite volumes so far. DH did a wonderful job.

Now, as things are going right now, volume 33 has a set release date for January 2010. If they swoop up 34 and release that in March 2010, they'll be caught up. I hope that they start doing a simotaneous episode release via their website like Viz is doing with Rumiko Takahashi's latest series. If I had to pay for a subscription, I would.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gobolatula said:
Now, as things are going right now, volume 33 has a set release date for January 2010. If they swoop up 34 and release that in March 2010, they'll be caught up. I hope that they start doing a simotaneous episode release via their website like Viz is doing with Rumiko Takahashi's latest series. If I had to pay for a subscription, I would.

That would be pretty damn cool if they went that route. I'd be happy to pay for them, as well.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah that's something I've hoped Hakusensha would allow in the future -- the purchasing of episodes online. That's cool that Viz has done it, I didn't know that.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Yeah that's something I've hoped Hakusensha would allow in the future -- the purchasing of episodes online. That's cool that Viz has done it, I didn't know that.

Yeah, they're doing it for Rin-ne (Takahashi's new series). I haven't checked it out myself, but I'm hoping other companies follow this trend.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Yeah that's something I've hoped Hakusensha would allow in the future -- the purchasing of episodes online.

The minute this happens I'm popping open $200 worth of champagne.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I wouldn't be surprised if they did it in the near future. It's the trend these days. Not only is it with manga, but it's also even more prominent with anime. Naruto and One Piece, for example, are subbed and put online within 24 hours of their release in Japan.

Awesomeness, indeed.

Top Bottom