Dark Horse Releases

Indeed there are but 15 volumes, but I was disappointed by the quality of the American books (and the dodgy translation) so I ended up collecting the whole Japanese print as well + 3 German volumes.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I might be skewered by saying this, but I really wish they would re-release the early volumes with sound effect translations. Nowadays, they've gotten way less intrusive. There are some scenes where I really wanna know what sounds are happening.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Gobolatula said:
I might be skewered by saying this, but I really wish they would re-release the early volumes with sound effect translations. Nowadays, they've gotten way less intrusive. There are some scenes where I really wanna know what sounds are happening.

I say we kill him... :troll:

naa i hear ya Gobot. If you go to the Darkhorse Boards you can see a lot of threads where people are demanding reprints. Now that we caught up I think they should make deluxe editions with top quality. I've always made the arguemeant that if a series like MPD psycho or Eden (which are really great manga) have these great high quality volumes printed on some really nice paper with lots of guides and well written synopsis', then why doesn't Berserk get equal treatmeant, especially when Berserk is a big seller and those other series do NOT sell well to the point where they literally went on hiatus for over a year (only recently was it announced that Eden would resume publication). A money maker like Berserk deserves better treatmeant instead of the countless issues that have been talked about to death here, there and everywhere. Berserk still gets the bullshit "thinner pages" experiments and what not that I give up trying to figure out. I'll never understand it. The least they should do is release them again, the right way and it would be great if they did what Viz did for Vagabond or TokyoPop did for Battle Royale, combining several volumes into one massive bookhardcover with colored pages and illustrations.

But it'll never happen, Darkhorse seems to just ignore Berserk inquires completely, like they are tired about hearing about it or something.

C

C_W

I'm a little late regarding the decision of the FX boxes, but I have just recently purchased the volumes and was appalled to see such horrible translations.

Though, I did decide to do something about it. It must have taken me 5 days to patch over volume 13 with printouts to cover the awful FX boxes. It looks kinda off, but it's a lot better than having those things interrupt everything. It was seriously unreadable to me. As it progressed, I found a better technique (and more fitting as they lessen as it continues too). I just got a little nail trimmer and gently rubbed them away. It's a great choice for most, as they're only on the white and it's hardly noticeable that they were even there. For the ones that still obscure the artwork, just take a pen and pencil, gently redraw it after you rub, and there you go. Though, I have rubbed too hard sometimes, but it's not too noticeable. I've been taking my time at least.

Just thought I'd throw that in if it bothered, or still bothers, people today.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The FX boxes got much better over time. But when they were first introduced, DH didn't really know what they were doing. As a result, volumes 12-15 in particular are pretty much unreadable, in my opinion. And those are crucial volumes.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Some good news for all y'all brothas:

ME:
> I was wondering, when do you plan on releasing volume 35 of Berserk? It has been available for some time in Japan, and I can't wait for it to be here in the US!
> Thank you

Thanks for the email! Apologies for the delayed response.

Berserk vol 35 will be on sale mid Fall 2011.

We appreciate your interest in Dark Horse Comics.

Best,

Teresa

Dark Horse Comics, Inc

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wtf Fall? Taking their sweet time now aren't they. I guess I can stop expecting to see it on their upcoming releases section. I check every week or so, thinking its going to be any day now. Man, I was way off.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Wtf Fall? Taking their sweet time now aren't they. I guess I can stop expecting to see it on their upcoming releases section. I check every week or so, thinking its going to be any day now. Man, I was way off.
It's not that out of the ordinary for there to be a delay once a domestic publication meets up with the source's publication. The delay has to do with how each group of volumes is licensed. Dark Horse probably didn't acquire the license to Vol 35+ until this year, so they couldn't begin work on it.

I think another part of it is a business decision. Should they wait until more volumes are out so they can release them sequentially or just release them as they're finished to appease fans. These are the kinds of things you have to consider when you run a large business.

BayJumper said:
Look at the bright side, by that time we'll have vol 36 of the Japanese release :guts:
You really think Miura's going to do between 6-7 episodes AND publish Vol 36 before Fall 2011? It's possible, but I think that's a stretch, given the trend of releases as of late.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walter said:
You really think Miura's going to do between 6-7 episodes AND publish Vol 36 before Fall 2011? It's possible, but I think that's a stretch, given the trend of releases as of late.
Why you gotta say sad stuff? :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Why you gotta say sad stuff? :judo:
Look on the bright side, if I'm wrong, by fall you'll have vol 35 and 36 in hand AND you get to call me out for having been totally wrong!

I'll forward my response to this outcome in advance: :schnoz:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/JR7=XzboMRo244qaL6/browse/item/91673/4/0/0
we got ourselves a September 21 release date for volume 35

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Gobolatula said:
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/JR7=XzboMRo244qaL6/browse/item/91673/4/0/0
we got ourselves a September 21 release date for volume 35

That's great news! But still, it feels so far away. :farnese:

Here in Canada
Chapters has it scheduled for release on October 4th

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Berserk-Volume-35-Kentaro-Miura/9781595826954-item.html?ikwid=berserk+35&ikwsec=Home

here's hoping it comes out on time this year

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
...AAAND we got a cover. What's this "trade paperback collection thing?"

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/18-183/Berserk-Volume-35-trade-paperback-collection

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like they used to call them TPBs. But starting with 35 they're spelling it out. Whatever DH ... :schierke:

Gobolatula said:
...AAAND we got a cover. What's this "trade paperback collection thing?"

http://www.darkhorse.com/Books/18-183/Berserk-Volume-35-trade-paperback-collection

they have the same thing listed for Vol. 13 of Eden I guess it's just Dark Horse's new way of doing thing maybe there's just too many Young one's out there who are unfamiliar with what TPB refers too

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
After work for the past week or so I've been re-reading my Dark Horse books. Again.

You know, I kinda wish they would go back and re-release the first 10 or so volumes with FX translations, and re-do the earlier ones they did the way they're doing them now. If you look at vol 34, the FX translations aren't intrusive at all. They're just kinda like:
berkbonk.gif

I was wondering if such a thing as fake Berserk volumes are going around? It just seems that a few of mine have some speech bubbles cut off. Is this a common occurrence among Dark Horse releases? Seems either amateurish or I've got fake, bootleg, inferior volumes.

:puck:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
perros said:
I was wondering if such a thing as fake Berserk volumes are going around? It just seems that a few of mine have some speech bubbles cut off. Is this a common occurrence among Dark Horse releases? Seems either amateurish or I've got fake, bootleg, inferior volumes.

:puck:
Nah, that's normal. Mine have a few like that too.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
There's been a few instances where there's been some pretty crappy errors in the Dark Horse releases, particularly some of the earlier volumes. I can recall a couple times where the bubble and part of the text has been cut off. It's pretty easy to guess part of a cut-off word, but we shouldn't have to.

Hopefully they fired their QA guy.

Top Bottom