Dark Horse Releases

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Walter said:
Borders is going out of business and selling Dark Horse Berserk volumes for $8 a pop.
In-Store? im looking at the website and they are still 15$

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Walter said:
Borders is going out of business and selling Dark Horse Berserk volumes for $8 a pop. :daiba:

Strange, my borders was selling them for $10.. I plan on making a trip back a little later in the week to see if the discounts are larger. It'd be an awesome time to complete Vagabond, too... but the only stock Bigabond these days.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Strange, my borders was selling them for $10.. I plan on making a trip back a little later in the week to see if the discounts are larger. It'd be an awesome time to complete Vagabond, too... but the only stock Bigabond these days.
Hm, the discounts might be tied to individual stores. At my store they were 40% off.

At my local Borders, all books are "UP TO 40%" off. So, essentially, they are only giving 20% off Berserk's cover price at the moment.

At this price, it's a wash when you consider you can get a deep discount off Amazon with no sales tax.

As much as it sucks, I'm probably better off waiting another two weeks and seeing how much deeper the discounts go before picking up any volumes I'm missing. I'll take whatever ones I don't have that are in good condition and fill in the gaps using Amazon.

I've noticed that people have been unwrapping the Berserk volumes in the store and getting them all grubby - which makes getting good collector quality books a bit difficult at retail.

I apologize if this has already been answered. I did a search and didn't find anything.

Are the page sizes from Young Animal the same size as the volumes?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MrSmit said:
I apologize if this has already been answered. I did a search and didn't find anything.

They're the same size as the japanese volumes, not the Young Animal episodes. From Amazon: "Product Dimensions: 7.2 x 5.2 x 0.8 inches."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
MrSmit said:

Young Animal uses a B5 format (176 x 250 mm). The Japanese volumes use a B6 format (125 x 176 mm).

Yes, I knew both volume editions were the same dimensions, but I wasn't sure of the magazine.

Is there a noticeable quality difference with the magazine? Is there a slight possibility of a 'Deluxe' series of Berserk volumes (which would have the full size and maybe other improvements)?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MrSmit said:
Yes, I knew both volume editions were the same dimensions, but I wasn't sure of the magazine.

Is there a noticeable quality difference with the magazine? Is there a slight possibility of a 'Deluxe' series of Berserk volumes (which would have the full size and maybe other improvements)?
Though they're large, the Young Animal releases use paper and ink of extremely low quality. Not suitable for collectors. But the manuscripts that Miura sends them, as I understand it, are quite large. A "deluxe" edition may be possible in the distant future.

Oburi

All praise Grail
MrSmit said:
Is there a slight possibility of a 'Deluxe' series of Berserk volumes (which would have the full size and maybe other improvements)?

We can always hope. I think one day (maybe years from now, or after the series ends) we will get a deluxe edition like other series such as Vagabond, Deathnote and Battle Royale. You can always email darkhorse about it. I know there has been talk on their boards about it before.

No doubt they don't want to release deluxe editions too prematurely. They'll wait until the series ends and demand for the orignal volumes declines in order to refresh their Berserk revenue stream. :void:

Well, I never thought I would say that, but they need to take an example from Russian publishing company "ComixArt". I mean if you seen this thread, then you know what I mean. It's not perfect, as always some translation issues have occurred(for example Griffith became Griffiths O_O, wtf, right? I know it's the same in katakana, but still sounds stupid and unappropriate, head of publishment even said that they contacted Miura and he said either way is fine. o_O) but that aside it's pretty close to what it should be.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1595826955/

Preorder Berserk Volume 35 on Amazon for $9.69 (36% off). Release date is set for October 11. I don't recall Amazon doing discounts like this for newer volumes of Berserk, but I'm all for it.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Walter said:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1595826955/

Preorder Berserk Volume 35 on Amazon for $9.69 (36% off). Release date is set for October 11. I don't recall Amazon doing discounts like this for newer volumes of Berserk, but I'm all for it.
Weird... on the Dark Horse site, it still says "Publication Date: September 21, 2011"... I'm guessing it's been pushed back a few weeks.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I just sent a message to Dark Horse asking when the volume is *really* gonna be released. I'll let you guys know what I hear back. Odds are it's Oct 11 and not Sept 21. Unfortunately.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just pre-ordered Berserk 35 from Amazon and Eden 13 from Darkhorse after the series was on hiatus for almost two years! Both books came out to $10 and change. I'm very excited.

Oh and I also noticed they had a lot of Berserk books in the "nick and dent" section for cheap if anyone is looking for older volumes.

Works out expensive for me via Amazon even with the discount on the MRP -

Order Summary
Items: $9.69
Shipping & Handling: $3.99
Total Before Tax: $13.68
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $1.21
Order Total: $14.89

I'm better off picking it up from Kinokuniya and get a 10% off the MRP, save on shipping ^_^

Top Bottom