Author Topic: Dark Horse Releases  (Read 276323 times)

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
  • even the horses are cut in half!
Re: Dark Horse Releases
« Reply #1475 on: January 27, 2017, 01:25:08 PM »
What's the cost...?

I don't know but apparently it's... Deadly! I Wonder how they come up with that kind of stuff.

Offline Hitoshura

« Reply #1476 on: April 03, 2017, 06:39:33 PM »
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road. Neither human, nor devil... all bends to my will" - Hitoshura

Offline Femto96

« Reply #1477 on: June 07, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
We finally get to see the Dark Horse cover for volume 38. Looks like they're not changing it after all.

https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/3000-668/Berserk-Volume-38-TPB

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
« Reply #1478 on: June 07, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
We finally get to see the Dark Horse cover for volume 38. Looks like they're not changing it after all.

https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/3000-668/Berserk-Volume-38-TPB

Well I'm glad about that. I wont get to see smoke coming out of Guts head everytime I'll read the volume. Thx for the heads up.

Online Griffith

• The Millennium Falcon
  • Falconian
  • Of the Abyss
  • My posts are better.
« Reply #1479 on: June 07, 2017, 04:26:22 PM »
Not only do you lose that tacky border but you get to see more of the cover illustration to boot (hello moon)! If it wasn't for the equally tacky bloodsplatter and pseudo-kanji font of the DH releases it would almost unarguably be the superior version. Just stick a spartan BERSERK label on it for the win, DH.

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #1480 on: June 07, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »
If it wasn't for the equally tacky bloodsplatter and pseudo-kanji font of the DH releases it would almost unarguably be the superior version. Just stick a spartan BERSERK label on it for the win, DH.

This ain't your granny's comic book! Unless your granny rides a Harley, chews Cubans and carries a sawed-off shotgun! This font is heavy metal just like Berserk! It's a viscera-fueled series that's spawned a horde of salivating zealots who would sell their own babies for just a few more blood-soaked pages! "JUST ONE MORE HIT, MIURA-SAMA!" If you can't deal with that, go back to your crib, Mr. PeePee Pants.  GET OFF MY PLANE!
:femto: :slan: :ubik:

Offline Aazealh

• 髑髏の騎士
  • Administrator
  • Of Terror
  • そうはいかぬ
« Reply #1481 on: June 07, 2017, 05:43:58 PM »
Not only do you lose that tacky border but you get to see more of the cover illustration to boot (hello moon)! If it wasn't for the equally tacky bloodsplatter and pseudo-kanji font of the DH releases it would almost unarguably be the superior version.

Pretty sad state of affairs. Oh well, only need to wait 20 more years before we get the deluxe reedition. :SK:

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
« Reply #1482 on: June 07, 2017, 05:53:11 PM »
This ain't your granny's comic book! Unless your granny rides a Harley, chews Cubans and carries a sawed-off shotgun! This font is heavy metal just like Berserk! It's a viscera-fueled series that's spawned a horde of salivating zealots who would sell their own babies for just a few more blood-soaked pages! "JUST ONE MORE HIT, MIURA-SAMA!" If you can't deal with that, go back to your crib, Mr. PeePee Pants.  GET OFF MY PLANE!

Are you sure you're not working for Dark Horse?  :guts:

Oh well, only need to wait 20 more years before we get the deluxe reedition. :SK:

Haha indeed, indeed. Though I would not be surprised to see them put a double extra sketchy edge for an oversized super Deluxe edition. "We've double the size of the page for you gory pleasures." or "You thought it was hard for your eyes in a manga format, wait 'til you see our oversized volume..." haha

Offline Johnny Apples

« Reply #1483 on: June 07, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »
Not only do you lose that tacky border but you get to see more of the cover illustration to boot (hello moon)! If it wasn't for the equally tacky bloodsplatter and pseudo-kanji font of the DH releases it would almost unarguably be the superior version. Just stick a spartan BERSERK label on it for the win, DH.

Besides being very inaccurate and misleading, it seems the cover illustration for volume 38 was also originally made with the old "Jets Comics" cover template in mind, rather than the new "Young Animal Comics" one. Had the volume 38 been released under "Jets Comics" imprint, the moon and the clouds most likely would've appeared underneath the lower half of the old " ベルセルク" logo

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:02:33 PM by Johnny Apples »

Offline Kaladin

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #1484 on: June 07, 2017, 10:12:08 PM »
Glad they kept it consistent!

Also, did they change the release date? i remember it being July 16th and now it's July 5th

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
« Reply #1485 on: June 08, 2017, 01:12:01 AM »
No it's been a while that it was set for july 5th.

Offline Kaladin

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #1486 on: June 08, 2017, 03:50:32 AM »
I see, the sooner the better  :carcus:

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
« Reply #1487 on: June 08, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »
I see, the sooner the better  :carcus:

My sentiments exactly. The sooner the better for I am always thirsty for Berserk.  :guts:

Of course this doesn't mean that I want to story to be rushed. I appreciate a lot the pacing Miura sets for his story.

Can't wait to hold vol 38 in my hands!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:29:58 PM by jackson_hurley »

Offline Hitoshura

« Reply #1488 on: June 08, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »
Also, did they change the release date? i remember it being July 16th and now it's July 5th

No it's been a while that it was set for july 5th.
July 5th is for comic shops. July 18th is for other bookstores/online stores such as Barnes & Noble and Amazon.

Comic shops always get the latest volume 1-2 weeks earlier than other bookstores.
 :daiba:
"Death's vastness holds no peace. I come at the end of the long road. Neither human, nor devil... all bends to my will" - Hitoshura

Offline jackson_hurley

• Of the Vortex
« Reply #1489 on: June 08, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »
July 5th is for comic shops. July 18th is for other bookstores/online stores such as Barnes & Noble and Amazon.

Comic shops always get the latest volume 1-2 weeks earlier than other bookstores.
 :daiba:

Thx for the clarification. I was gonna order it online but I guess I'll visit the comic shop instead. Even though I'm sure they'll be late in getting it. As usual... :/

Offline Delta Phi

• Sylph Sword
  • Falconian
  • Of the Nexus
  • Grail Serpico!
« Reply #1490 on: July 01, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »
Rightstuf is having a 30th birthday sale on their site right now. Dark Horse volumes are getting bundled in 3-4 volume sets for really cheap. And individual volumes are selling at $7.79. I'm pretty sure I've never seen new editions go for under $8 before, so now is a great time for anyone still missing any volumes, or for those that want to start their collection.

Offline Hitoshura

« Reply #1491 on: July 09, 2017, 06:11:05 PM »
Rightstuf is having a 30th birthday sale on their site right now. Dark Horse volumes are getting bundled in 3-4 volume sets for really cheap. And individual volumes are selling at $7.79. I'm pretty sure I've never seen new editions go for under $8 before, so now is a great time for anyone still missing any volumes, or for those that want to start their collection.
Today is the last day of this sale. Some volumes are currently out of stock, but you can still order them at the sale price.
https://www.rightstufanime.com/category/Manga?show=96&keywords=berserk
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:35:24 PM by Hitoshura »

Offline Hitoshura

« Reply #1492 on: July 18, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »
The manga is now available digitally on Comixology and Amazon Kindle (only up to vol.25 as of this post). :daiba:

https://www.comixology.com/Berserk-Vol-1/comics-series/1401?
https://www.amazon.com/Kentaro%20Miura/e/B003UW85ZM

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #1493 on: July 18, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »
The manga is now available digitally on Comixology and Amazon Kindle (only up to vol.25 as of this post). :daiba:

Wow! Awesome move by Dark Horse!

Offline Death May Die

• Ask me about Avatar's sales!
  • Of the Nexus
« Reply #1494 on: July 18, 2017, 08:48:09 PM »

Yeah I just read about this! I'll be shelling out for the next several weeks getting these!

Offline Sixtopia

• Of the World
  • Elf Dimension Style!
« Reply #1495 on: July 18, 2017, 08:49:56 PM »

That's awesome! Will definitely pick these up eventually as backups. I love seeing companies making efforts to stay relevant in the digital age. Just to add to this, the digital version of the manga is also available directly from Dark Horse here:

https://digital.darkhorse.com/books/see_all?source_series=826&name=Berserk

It appears you access these versions through DRM via Dark Horse's web viewer or iOS/Android apps. It would be even better if the physical Dark Horse prints came with codes to unlock the digital versions, though I'm happy enough with this.

EDIT: I wonder why the volumes are $4 more on Comixology?

Offline Kaladin

• Falconian
  • Of the Interstice
« Reply #1496 on: July 18, 2017, 09:56:52 PM »
Comixology has a 50% OFF Dark Horse Special going on right now so you can get them there cheaper than anywhere else, put DH17 in your cart and you should be good to go

Offline Walter

• 賢者
  • Administrator
  • Of the Abyss
  • Chapter ≠ Episode
« Reply #1497 on: July 19, 2017, 12:48:02 AM »
That's awesome. I picked up what I could afford with just a day's notice  :farnese: . Quality is good, not great. 2-page spread merging is still noticeable.

Still, this is a bold new era, folks. Time to erase the existence of all those shitty Hawks scans. Berserk has been legally scanned.

Offline llafnwod

« Reply #1498 on: July 19, 2017, 01:37:59 AM »
That's awesome. I picked up what I could afford with just a day's notice  :farnese: . Quality is good, not great. 2-page spread merging is still noticeable.

Still, this is a bold new era, folks. Time to erase the existence of all those shitty Hawks scans. Berserk has been legally scanned.

Could you post a sample panel? I'm waiting for the manga scan where you can see the stippling. :serpico:

Offline Sixtopia

• Of the World
  • Elf Dimension Style!
« Reply #1499 on: July 19, 2017, 09:31:51 AM »
Could you post a sample panel? I'm waiting for the manga scan where you can see the stippling. :serpico:

Comixology has previews. There's a little "See what's inside" link under the cover image if you're on a page for one of the volumes.