Dark Horse Releases

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Void Swordsman said:
Well, you obviously haven't lived in Canada before, seeing as stuff here is SOOO much more expensive than in the US. I wish i could live in US seeing as the volumes there cost only 13.99, here they cost around 20 FUCKING DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!
Is that 20 US $ or 20 Canadian $?

Yeah, it sucks to live in Canada :judo:. But I want to raise another point: Why is Dark Horse manga more expensive than normal manga? I mean both Berserk and Blade of the Immortal (best seres in existence! :guts:) cost 20 bucks and they're both from Dark Horse, while other manga from like viz and tokyopop costs like 14 bucks here? In my opinion, I think that Dark Horse might be a pretty poor company and they charge more for these mangas because of their demand. Or it could just be that they're such a high quality. :miura:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Alucalb said:
There's one upside to DH's tri-monthly release dates, it gives you time to save up for a copy.

I hope it dosen't take you that long to save 13.95.
How about this alucalb, if you(or anyone else) can persuade dark horse to release it bi-monthly I will buy and have shipped to your house every volume they release.

Do you have a reading disorder? :p I just said it's twenty-five fucking dollars in Canada. I have eight volumes now, that's about $200 worth of books. You Yanks should be so lucky it's a bit cheaper down south. :puck:

Heh, and maybe I'll bring redria with me. "The Adventures Of Billy-Bob and Red!"

Anyway, twenty-plus bucks is steep for any graphic novel, especially one that can be read through pretty quickly. If it's a phone book-sized epic like, say, Akira or The Watchmen, twenty or forty would seem fair for such lengthy books, IMO.

i just re-read number 8 and it reminds me of how great an issue it is. on that note they have the date for issue 9 still set for 10/12/05. now what I'm surprised about is that there is still no official date for issue 10 to drop yet (which is kind of frustrating :miura:)

just in case you don't have issue 8 yet i have to say its high quality and absolutely amazing. great book.

as soon as i hear anything on the release of issue 10 i will post it immediately.

DarthVenom said:
i just re-read number 8 and it reminds me of how great an issue it is. on that note they have the date for issue 9 still set for 10/12/05. now what I'm surprised about is that there is still no official date for issue 10 to drop yet (which is kind of frustrating

I assume it'll be out in January.

I wanted to buy volume 3 today but I had a bit of a dilemma! What is it with Dark Horse and their badly printed manga? I don't think I've seen this mistake with any other manga company lol.

But the problem was that there were two different copies and I was comparing them and the covers were totally different in color. One was partly green/Sharp printing and the other partly blue/blurry printing! I was just browsing threw online but it turns out the the blue one was accurate but it's blurry.

Why can't they print well?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mugwump101 said:

Like it was said in the past, it probably has to do with the companies they give the job (printing) to, and how much they pay for it. Apparently they're tightwads and prefer to get a cheap and shitty printing rather than paying a bit more for a quality edition. Seems like they didn't think that low quality printing and paper would play a role in people buying the books or not. :schierke:

CnC

Ad Oculos
I didn't know they had shotty printing. That blows.
Is it too much to ask that it be printed decently (as large as friggin possible?!?!?!

I want some akira sized berserk books. I'd have no qualms at all about spending more on them then.

Mugwump101 said:
I wanted to buy volume 3 today but I had a bit of a dilemma! What is it with Dark Horse and their badly printed manga? I don't think I've seen this mistake with any other manga company lol.

But the problem was that there were two different copies and I was comparing them and the covers were totally different in color. One was partly green/Sharp printing and the other partly blue/blurry printing! I was just browsing threw online but it turns out the the blue one was accurate but it's blurry.

that sucks that you had problems with they're printings of berserk. i have never had a problem with any of they're printings. its pretty much always been top notch to me.

CnC said:
I want some akira sized berserk books. I'd have no qualms at all about spending more on them then.
lol keep dreaming dude :guts:.

they're Akira set (of 6 books) was great, kinda expensive but great.

DarthVenom said:
i just re-read number 8 and it reminds me of how great an issue it is. on that note they have the date for issue 9 still set for 10/12/05.

Nice. One day before my birthday. :serpico: I hope they put the preview up soon. It's usually taken from the first couple of pages, and we all know what happens at the beginning of volume 9. :SK: All the fans who are reading Berserk for the first time are in for a great volume.

DarthVenom said:
just in case you don't have issue 8 yet i have to say its high quality and absolutely amazing. great book.

Were there any cut off words or such? I haven't bought the volume yet, but 7 was free of problems except for them labeling Casca, chapter 3 as Casca, chapter 1 in my copy. Funny how they do this when it's written in Japanese right above. Oh well, it's nothing to get bothered by anyway.

CnC said:

I wish! I think it would be the least they could do in compensation for some horrible errors.

I was wondering if anyone here could give me an answer for something. This is a translation question, but since it pertains to Dark Horse, I figured I'd ask in this thread. Raban's name was changed to "Laban" in Dark Horse's version of volume 7; is this accurate? They've always done a great job with the names before, but "Laban" sounds kind of weird to me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mormegil said:
Raban's name was changed to "Laban" in Dark Horse's version of volume 7; is this accurate? They've always done a great job with the names before, but "Laban" sounds kind of weird to me.

I don't like "Laban" much either, and I actually posted once about a possible origin for his name (it's really just a guess though).

Still, there's no confirmed official spelling, and so it could be "Laban" as well as "Raban", for all we know. Just a matter of personal preference from the translator.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Alucalb said:
At least "Laban" doesn't sound as stupid as "Zolo", but that's a rant for another time.

If you mean from One Piece, the fact that the characters' names are written in romaji through the series makes any error of this kind unacceptable. Then again, looking at some editions of Berserk and the way they spell names... :schierke:

Aazealh said:
I don't like "Laban" much either, and I actually posted once about a possible origin for his name (it's really just a guess though).

Still, there's no confirmed official spelling, and so it could be "Laban" as well as "Raban", for all we know. Just a matter of personal preference from the translator.

Thanks for the answer. I was afraid they made an error with the translation. "Laban" isn't horribly bad, but I'm probably going to stick with "Raban." It just sounds much better, IMO.

I emailed Dark Horse last night about this. I told them that I would like to continue to support their releases (I have all of them so far), but I don't like the idea of waiting 6 or more years to catch up with the Japanese. That's a LONG time. I can be patient, but not that patient. In my opinion, they should be releasing a volume every month. In the e-mail, I asked them to change it to bi-monthly though.

3 months is for 1 volume isnt so bad. I just reciecved vol 1-8 in the mail from amazon. Il order another 10 volumes or so in a few years :)

I even put some of the manga scanlations on my psp, and watch them on the bus on my way to work, its quite nice :)

Top Bottom