PS3 and XBOX 360

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I was thinking of buying myself a led LCD for the ps3/Xbox/ any thoughts about them? Dont want to get too much of topic but killzone 2 looks pretty damn awesome on my current 1080 p vizio tv but i was thinking about upgrading to a newled
LCD tv as Long as its worth it.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Aazealh said:
Has anyone tried their hands on Uncharted 2 yet? It's looks amazing and is getting stellar reviews.

I've been in the BETA for a while now. It's damn impressive, man. What's surprising is how fun the multiplayer is. I figured it would be completely throwaway -- but when you're playing together which a bunch of friends, it's a riot!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea Uncharted 2 is getting amazing reviews. Adam Sessler from xplay said that it was the best single player game he'd ever played, and he knows his games.

I got the first Uncharted the day it came out and I was totally blown away. I'd never seen a game look that good before and I think a lot of PS3 owners were happy to get it since they got a lot of flack from the Microsoft camp about the games not looking any better than the 360.

What's amazing to me is that Uncharted 2 looks even better, I never thought it would be possible.

Terrific voice acting as well. The only thing I didn't like about the game, and it's a nitpick, was that the plot had more holes than swiss cheese. But hey, it's a videogame.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
OmegaSeamaster said:
I got the first Uncharted the day it came out and I was totally blown away. I'd never seen a game look that good before and I think a lot of PS3 owners were happy to get it since they got a lot of flack from the Microsoft camp about the games not looking any better than the 360.

I hope that's not the main reason people bought the game. :schierke: Besides, it's true that games don't look better on the PS3 than on the Xbox 360. I think it's time to get over Sony's marketing and face the reality: the PS3 isn't a super powerhouse that dwarfs everything else on the market. That doesn't mean it can't have good games. Which brings me back to Uncharted and how tempting it is to get a PS3 for it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea thats the big question right now- is uncharted 2 a game that can make people buy a ps3 for. I for one am now seriously thinking about it.

Aazealh said:
Which brings me back to Uncharted and how tempting it is to get a PS3 for it.

Oh, Aazealh, my Administrator Beefcake of the Abyss! :slan: You don't know what you're missing! I'm not much of a fan of shooters ("third person" being the exception), but Uncharted truly is a fantastic game! It's a blast! If you can get your hands on a PS3 and a copy of Uncharted, I highly recommend it. I'm with Uriel on the multiplayer co-op aspect of the sequel, too!

Unfortunately for me, I'm going to have to use my behelit to "borrow" my friend's copy of Uncharted 2..the bastard pre-ordered it, and I'm short on cash! Or burn his house down. Whichever comes first.

(It's been awhile since I've lurked here. I like the new additions to our Berserk emoticons!)

Aazealh said:
I hope that's not the main reason people bought the game. :schierke: Besides, it's true that games don't look better on the PS3 than on the Xbox 360. I think it's time to get over Sony's marketing and face the reality: the PS3 isn't a super powerhouse that dwarfs everything else on the market. That doesn't mean it can't have good games. Which brings me back to Uncharted and how tempting it is to get a PS3 for it.

I was referring to the climate at the time regarding the PS3. There were no great reasons to own one due to the comprable graphics and higher price tag (compared to 360).

For most PS3 owners with buyer's remorse at the time it was a high point. Though the 360 and PS3 are on equal footing graphically, it honestly was incredible at the time and got people debating.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Reading an article on gaming today mentioning the return of backward compatibility for the PS3 Slim. Apparently Playstation has some plans that leaked regarding plans for not only PS2 games but also Sega Dreamcast games as well to be available for the Playstation Network. Now, Trying to find concrete info in the matter online I found a few but there's a slight confusion. Some say that the DC games will also be available for the XBOX 360, while the magazine I read said it was a PSN Exclusive. I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually a bit excited about this. Granted, Sega did mention that the game titles will be limited at 1st. But like anything else, they'll just keep adding to the list as time goes by.

In the link below is one of the few information regarding my post. Another addition, Sony confirmed a "enhanced remake" of the 2 God of War games on PS2 making them on HD. Now the only reason I even bother in bringing this up is for my own personal preference in the matter. Specially if now the recycled titles are to be enhanced to HD, there are SOME titles I'd be willing to spend some mula on. And I know I'm not the only one =p.

Also, Metal Gear Rising seems to be at it's 1st stages apparently. Kojima said in his latest interview that the game is on a "experimental" stage. While MGS Peacewalker shows that it will have online co-op during campaign.

http://kotaku.com/5364828/ps2-dreamcast-games-may-come-to-psn-says-apparently-leaked-doc

Aazealh said:
Has anyone tried their hands on Uncharted 2 yet? It's looks amazing and is getting stellar reviews.

I bought it the day it came out here is my perspective of uncharted 2 without playing the first game. Personally I sort of got tired of Tomb Raider games perhaps 14 years ago so I was skeptic to try a game with allot of jumping around and climbing throw catacombs. The truth is that this has to be one of the best games I have played in recent years heck the game even has those moments which make you smirk because they are the kind of action sequences you have never seen in a game before for example
fighting on the back of trucks and jumping from one truck to the other as you see the truck you are on is about to blow up or fall of a cliff
this is the kind of action sequence you see in an indiana jones movie and it translates great in to the game. As for the campaign I don't know how long it is in hours but I went through the whole single player in maybe 12 hours (I guess you can check this number with an online review) of course I am not the kind of player that takes his time to find all the secret treasures and that kind of thing so if you have plenty of time to play and are only interested in the single player portion only to go through it once you can rent it . I haven't played allot the multilplayer portion but I can say it is fun and resembles allot Gears of War in terms of gameplay. One last thing I have to say is that the graphics of some of the most beautiful I have seen in games of recent years. So that's pretty much my impressions of the game, hope it helps.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, thanks for confirming that it is indeed stellar, guys (you too Madam President :casca:). I'll keep it in mind!

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Uncharted 2 is very fun. I had the beta for a couple weeks and the online play is a blast.

On a more hilarious note my buddy just got his second red ring of death, he hardly ever plays his X-Box. This time the warranty is up and he has to buy a new system. A couple months ago my PS3 was having problems and I had to format my hardrive, goodbye 60 hour Resident Evil 5 save and 40 hour Fallout 3 save! Seriously, my PS1 still works better than my PS3. I know you can't compare them it's just I'm starting to hate the current gen systems and I'm playing retro games more and more.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
handsome rakshas said:
Uncharted 2 is very fun. I had the beta for a couple weeks and the online play is a blast.

On a more hilarious note my buddy just got his second red ring of death, he hardly ever plays his X-Box. This time the warranty is up and he has to buy a new system. A couple months ago my PS3 was having problems and I had to format my hardrive, goodbye 60 hour Resident Evil 5 save and 40 hour Fallout 3 save! Seriously, my PS1 still works better than my PS3. I know you can't compare them it's just I'm starting to hate the current gen systems and I'm playing retro games more and more.
At least now you know to back-up your saves on the ps3 for the future. At least you have that option with the ps3.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Nomad said:
At least now you know to back-up your saves on the ps3 for the future. At least you have that option with the ps3.

Yep tell me about it. Sucks that Resident Evil 5 save is not allowed to be copied. I just downloaded another MGS4 save that has everything unlocked so I'm not mad about losing that one.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
handsome rakshas said:
Yep tell me about it. Sucks that Resident Evil 5 save is not allowed to be copied. I just downloaded another MGS4 save that has everything unlocked so I'm not mad about losing that one.
Most recent games normally wouldn't allow you to copy the saved games anymore. However, if you add a external HD and format it to FAT32 It will allow you to save the game. That plus I know there's a few tricks to them as well... I suggest you check out the PSN forums about it.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Nomad said:
Most recent games normally wouldn't allow you to copy the saved games anymore. However, if you add a external HD and format it to FAT32 It will allow you to save the game. That plus I know there's a few tricks to them as well... I suggest you check out the PSN forums about it.
If you are talking about the Xbox 360, there is some worry going around that their next firmware update is going to make those 3rd party hard drives that people are replacing the stockones with worthless.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/18/forthcoming-xbox-360-update-locks-out-unauthorized-memory-unit/

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
If you are talking about the Xbox 360, there is some worry going around that their next firmware update is going to make those 3rd party hard drives that people are replacing the stockones with worthless.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/18/forthcoming-xbox-360-update-locks-out-unauthorized-memory-unit/
I was referring to the PS3 on my last post. However, this new firmware upgrade for the xbox 360 does pose a threat to those who have used a non-xbox hardware for their console... However, the data compression and coding has been out since Brutal Legend. Certain brands have been announced to not work with what Microsoft and Hackers call "Wave". It's the second one this year, and I believe they're up to Wave 4 (normally comes out when a big title is expected. To my surprise, I was expecting it by the release date of their precious Halo ODST). But by the looks of it, Modern Warfare 2 seems to be the one. Anyways, not all unofficial hardware have had the same result. Another piece of info regarding the new update: it is said that all games will come with a different serial code. By doing so it will facilitate the pinpointing of illegal copies... Then again, I've been hearing this since Wave 2. :badbone:

X-box 360 is a cheap way to play all the released games by just installing the firmware. But I prefer PS3, there are better games for me like Last Guardian, MGS4, God of War III, Heavy Rain, Uncharted 1-2, but I like x-box 360 controller more though. Maybe someday I'll buy PS3 slim... :guts:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
allright Aaz, sorry for the delay but just finished Uncharted 2 and here's my review :p

If I can describe the game with one word, brilliant would be the best one. Now take away the fact that I'm a PS3 fanboy and all. This game made that which no other game has ever done... Having my wife next to me watching! Now, I have to agree that the marketing for the game was pretty much dead on. Every scene or change of scenery, it was just eye candy galore. The graphics were sharp and rich, it's quality I haven't seen one like it (however I haven't played that many games). But the funny part was a couple of times in the middle of a battle or assault my wife would ask me to point the camera at specific places and just wish the damn thing was real lol. Anywho, the game engine is smooth and action-packed. I really can't say it's worth buying a PS3 for... but if you happen to get one, it would be the 1st game I'd suggest.
Overall I give this one a 9. Storyline was ok, but predictable to the tits.

Nomad said:
allright Aaz, sorry for the delay but just finished Uncharted 2 and here's my review :p

If I can describe the game with one word, brilliant would be the best one. Now take away the fact that I'm a PS3 fanboy and all. This game made that which no other game has ever done... Having my wife next to me watching!

Yeah, my wife was glued to the first Uncharted! This game was even better. The first game was great, but compared to the second game, it seemed like a trial run.

This one had me ready to book a flight to Nepal and Tibet the minute I put down the controller. Simply breathtaking vistas and scope.

I truly felt I was a part of a rip-roaring action movie. This is a title people will be talking about for a long, long time on "best of" lists.

The plot was competent, and much better than the goings-on in the first game. Clearly a lot of it was shamelessly lifted from "Raiders of the Lost Ark," but in all the whole game is a masterpiece.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I got a chance to play Tekken 6 last night at Frys, very fun game. Not really into 3d fighters but I had a great time playing it. The thing I like most was the end boss theme. I was playing as some cute robot girl who was kind of a cross between Machine Girl and She the Ultimate Weapon. After 10 tries I finally beat the crystal Egyptian dinosaur.

Come to think of it, was I really at Frys last night or is this some sort of loose recollection of a fever dream?

Dude I think I'm the only guy with a PS3 that really doesn't like Uncharted at all. Maybe the demo didn't serve it justice, but aside from pretty graphics, I experienced clunky gameplay, generic characters/environment, and HORRIBLE voice acting. Am I alone on this?

Top Bottom