PS3 and XBOX 360

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
01010111 said:
Dude I think I'm the only guy with a PS3 that really doesn't like Uncharted at all. Maybe the demo didn't serve it justice, but aside from pretty graphics, I experienced clunky gameplay, generic characters/environment, and HORRIBLE voice acting. Am I alone on this?

I...THINK you are. Truth be told, voice acting and characters weren't exactly the best but not the worst I've seen either. as for environment... I have to ask, were you playing this in a black and white TV or something? Either way, I don't recall a demo for Uncharted 2 unless it just got released, the only thing was the PvP Beta version. But hey to each it's own I guess.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
01010111 said:
Sorry should've been more clear, Uncharted 1. I've been out of the gaming loop for a hot minute.
Aaaah... well like Omega said, once you play the second one, the 1st will feel like a trial run. But hey, give it a shot!

01010111 said:
Sorry should've been more clear, Uncharted 1. I've been out of the gaming loop for a hot minute.

From what I remember, there was a clear difference in quality between the demo released for Uncharted 1 and the final game. If all you played was the demo, I would encourage you to rent the actual game and check it out.

One of the first games I got for PS3 was Warhawk, which came with a preview of Uncharted 1 on the disc. It is interesting to note that the graphics used in the preview trailer were lacking many levels of detail on the character models and backgrounds compared to the final release. It was like night and day!

From what I remember, there was a clear difference in quality between the demo released for Uncharted 1 and the final game. If all you played was the demo, I would encourage you to rent the actual game and check it out.
Hm! Thanks for the info! When Uncharted 2 comes out there will probably be a big drop in price for one, so I might just try to find it cheap. I hate renting games, even if I don't like 'em. Having that "Shoot I need to finish this in three days" feeling is just too much for me.

01010111 said:
Dude I think I'm the only guy with a PS3 that really doesn't like Uncharted at all. Maybe the demo didn't serve it justice, but aside from pretty graphics, I experienced clunky gameplay, generic characters/environment, and HORRIBLE voice acting. Am I alone on this?

No you're not alone. I don't really see the big deal about either game 1 or 2.

handsome rakshas said:
I got a chance to play Tekken 6 last night at Frys, very fun game. Not really into 3d fighters but I had a great time playing it. The thing I like most was the end boss theme.

How was it? I've never been a Tekken fan. I got extremely good at 3 and just decided to quit because it could never hold my attention like SF. One thing I do like about Tekken is the music. Especially in Tekken 5. How was the music in this new one? I most likely will be playing Tekken with friends today. They're Tekken fanatics and that's all I've seen them playing on PSN.

A friend and I spent the majority of the week going through Uncharted 2. Although I care for the first one, the 2nd one definitely grabbed me. Is it a stand out game that will cause people to buy a PS3? Well, I think the 299.99 price is going to help, but no, I don't think this game alone is enough to buy a PS3 if they haven't already. In my opioion PS3 needs a better overall game library. More exclusive break through titles. PS3 for the most to me, is getting by simply by suriviving off of multi-platform games that loyal PS3 fans buy oppose to the 360.

Its not about the console (to a extent), to me its about the games, and yes most games you can find on either 360 or PS3 (to a extent), so its up to the exclusive titles to determine the overall worth of the systems. If you ask me the PSP is better than the PS3, not only for good game variety on many great game titles, but its to a degree an underrated hand held system, that if given the chance never ceases to impress. I can't say the same for the PS3, I feel it really needs those "4 or 5" games that give PS3 its own definition, and its been missing that definition since its launch. I play my 360 the most, I play my PSP a lot, my PS3 sits there only offering better graphics on my HD TV. Its graphics are good but unfortunately my PS3 tends to take a lot more time to load than its 360 counter part. I want to use my PS3 to its fullest, I have a few games for it, I use PSN, but overall I just feel, its sitting there waiting for those few key games to make it worth than more than it is.

And thats my bitch slap to my PS3. :beast:

Death May Die said:
I play my PSP a lot, my PS3 sits there only offering better graphics on my HD TV.

We are the exact opposite, I sort of hate my psp, I only use it to distract myself from turbulence when I am flying. Other than when traveling my psp sits there laughing at me and to tell you the truth now that I dont have to fly as much it sure feels like a waste of good money heck I enjoy playing iphone games more than psp games.. I personally have most of the contemporary mainstream systems with the execption of the nintendo ds (I gave it to my cousin) and my play time goes to each of them as follows:

XBOX 360 > PS3 >Wii>>iphone>>>psp.

But to each its own I guess. perhaps I just haven;'t found the game that fits me. (currently own God of War CoO, wipeout, FF disiddia (or whatever its name is)

I was in love with my PSP for a while, got all kinds of homebrew on it, and then out of nowhere I just lost interest COMPLETELY. I don't even know where it is, or where the charger is. All I know is that my exgf stole my Logitech PSP speakers/dock. :mozgus:

I agree with you. There's just nothing that compels me to play it anymore, except for Final Fantasy Tactics. Even that game requires a lot of dedication just to get into it.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Modded Xbox live sweep reaches 1 million and counting!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/11/12/cnet.xbox.live.ban/index.html

Exactly as suspected. Modern Warfare 2 brings "justice" upon hacked Xbox accounts. A combination of the new "Wave 4" and a dummy version of Modern Warfare 2 out in torrents brings the icing to the cake.
The only reason I bring this up is for the simple fact that I'm not exactly sure if this was a good timing for Xbox. Reason being if you have 1 million people being banned for the illegal act *cough*. Chances are they probably didn't even bought an actual game. Now, knowing humanity at it's finest... And around the holidays. Will those bastards *cough* decide to retaliate by just getting a PS3? Or will they continue the hacking roller coaster, buy a new console and so on and so fourth?....

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Nomad said:
Will those bastards *cough* decide to retaliate by just getting a PS3? Or will they continue the hacking roller coaster, buy a new console and so on and so fourth?....

Or another scenario, how long until modders find away around the new detection systems?

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Scorpio said:
Or another scenario, how long until modders find away around the new detection systems?
Well regardless, banned consoles will not be able to go online. As far as playing the games, there's already a firmware out. I suggest you take a look at e-bay or any sales related sites. Tons of banned consoles are for sale. Including Gamestop lol.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
The only reason I bring this up is for the simple fact that I'm not exactly sure if this was a good timing for Xbox. Reason being if you have 1 million people being banned for the illegal act *cough*. Chances are they probably didn't even bought an actual game. Now, knowing humanity at it's finest... And around the holidays. Will those bastards *cough* decide to retaliate by just getting a PS3? Or will they continue the hacking roller coaster, buy a new console and so on and so fourth?...

If they never bought an actual game then why would Microsoft care about them buying a PS3? And won't they have to buy games on the PS3 as well? Honestly I'm not too worried about Microsoft here. They did what they had to, just as Sony or anyone else would have done in that situation.

Aazealh said:
If they never bought an actual game then why would Microsoft care about them buying a PS3? And won't they have to buy games on the PS3 as well? Honestly I'm not too worried about Microsoft here. They did what they had to, just as Sony or anyone else would have done in that situation.

I don't think Microsoft cares because many people already end up owning multiple 360's due to red rings etc. Banned people are just going to buy another 360. A banned 360 is pretty serious, not only can you not connect to live anymore, a lot of the features are disabled. Installing games to the HD to save loading times etc - - gONE!. Lot of other crap got disabled as well. Good thing 360's are much cheaper now.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
True that, and for the record (just in case) I wasn't attacking Microsoft for these actions. Kudos to them for doing it. I was more concerned with the fact that this will either boost their console sales, or the opposite.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
gh-zodd said:
I don't think Microsoft cares because many people already end up owning multiple 360's due to red rings etc. Banned people are just going to buy another 360.
Nomad said:
True that, and for the record (just in case) I wasn't attacking Microsoft for these actions. Kudos to them for doing it. I was more concerned with the fact that this will either boost their console sales, or the opposite.

Well the thing is, companies don't make much money from selling consoles (they sometimes actually lose money doing it). It's mostly from selling games. So whether people that bought no games will get a new console or not probably matters little to them unless said people start buying games.

Well, other than inflated user base numbers which companies can sometimes use to try to woo developers into creating for their system (something that the Wii is proving isn't exactly always a good source for estimate considering it's huge user base to the often minuscule returns for 3rd party developers).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
Well, other than inflated user base numbers which companies can sometimes use to try to woo developers into creating for their system (something that the Wii is proving isn't exactly always a good source for estimate considering it's huge user base to the often minuscule returns for 3rd party developers).

The case of the Wii isn't a very good example considering most major studios put zero effort into it at first and are only starting to come around now. And many are still putting as little investment in it as possible, which unsurprisingly explains the little returns. One thing's for sure: no studio's ruining itself on Wii projects, despite Marvelous Entertainment's rather hypocritical whining. Add to this the fact Nintendo is arguably the least prone to numbers manipulation out of the 3 manufacturers and... yeah, not a very good example.

To get back to the Xbox Live and how it was affected by this massive ban, well... It seems it wasn't. Major Nelson announced that they reached the 2 million simultaneous connexions milestone with Modern Warfare 2.

I'll agree that most 3rd party games you see on the Wii are cheap attempts at a quick cash in, but there's been a number of serious attempts with paltry returns. Madworld, No More Heroes (really not great sales compared to the user base, but the studio considered it a success at least), Deadly Creatures, The Conduit, Boom Blox, Muramasa, Dead Space: Extraction etc. are all above average to great games that sold pretty terribly compared to the installed base of the Wii. EA started making a push on the Wii mostly due to the installed user base thinking they could get some big numbers, but it ended up costing them and now they're reeling away from it. In fact, EA is blaming a lot of their current financial setbacks to their push on the Wii and the failures they've faced.

Read this article for depressing news (There's a number of other sites that have covered this, Joystiq was just the first that showed up in a google search):

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/11/ea-says-wii-software-performance-weaker-than-anticipated/

I'm sure Microsoft is at least keeping it's eyes on Sony's overall console sales, especially with the recent spike since the slim was released, but as the Wii shows, it's more about the audience and the types of games you're making rather than the overall numbers, but Sony and Microsoft both share similar audiences. Another good example of this is to look at Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars or Moon on the DS. Both good games rated very highly which both more or less bombed due to the audience of the system (especially GTA considering how well known a series it is).

Regardless, I think it's dumb that people are saying Microsoft only did this to push up sales numbers. I for one welcome harsher penalties to pirates. It'd be lovely if Sony could figure out some way to combat some of the piracy of the PSP as I'm convinced that the prominence and ease of piracy has really pushed a lot of would be developers away from the system. I feel like so-called hardcore gamers are shooting themselves in the foot with the prominence of piracy in this day and age. If I was a developer I'd much rather focus on repackaging my 20th guitar hero game than taking a chance on something that will just get stolen in the end anyway.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
To get back to the Xbox Live and how it was affected by this massive ban, well... It seems it wasn't. Major Nelson announced that they reached the 2 million simultaneous connexions milestone with Modern Warfare 2.
Modern Warfare was the cherry on the top for a lot of people, but I assure you. It wasn't the main source. Off course, they really aren't going to say how exactly they caught the 2 mil, but according to Iextreme developers (hacked firmware), the source was installed on a previous upgrade. This was weeks before Halo ODST was released. Apparently they detected the 1.4-1.6 version of the firmware. They released the new video compression format also known as Wave 4 in which forced all modded owners looking for new and non secure ways to play the most recent games (normaly takes weeks for new firmwares to release). Gotta say, it was pretty brilliant how they strategized it.

But like always, I new firmware will be born, and will get caught again. The circle of life I guess.

He's just saying that Microsoft reported 2 million users simultaneously on xbox live shortly after the ban. Despite Microsoft banning 1 million accounts, 2 million people were still playing (an all time high for xbox live) meaning the ban has had little effect to the mostly legitimate (as far as we know) Live commuity.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I won't argue that many 3rd party Wii titles have been underperforming, but there are circumstances to take into consideration in each case. Sega's been pretty supportive of Madworld regardless of its sales. They announced they were pleased with how it fared (same with Overkill), even though they'd have liked a bigger success. Honestly they've been outstanding as a publisher these past few years. And I haven't really followed The Conduit news but I remember Sega said they were "very happy" about the launch and that people talked of a "strong start" with some retail shops selling out and all. Now of course it's not selling like Modern Warfare... But it's no Modern Warfare either.

As for No More Heroes, it's simply Suda51's biggest success to this day. So much that they made a sequel while they weren't originally planning to. There's talk of a franchise now. I can post the sales numbers of his PS2 games if you want to compare them to a big user base. There's a simple truth here: niche games rarely turn into million sellers (remember Ôkami on PS2? Stellar title in a mainstream genre that inexplicably did poorly). Same with Boom Blox: it sold at least 500,000 copies and people were reportedly satisfied with it. They're making a sequel. For a puzzle game sold at full retail price it's far from bad. I'm not sure it'd have sold more copies on HD consoles and considering the higher development costs I also have my doubts on whether it'd have been more profitable. Those two games at least have been successes so I'm not sure why you're listing them as examples.

Deadly Creatures... I had to check that one out, had already forgotten it. Not exactly an AAA title. Apparently very short and linear, it got some pretty mixed reviews, and insect simulations are not exactly what sells the best either. Maybe it would have fared better on other platforms, I don't know, but I'm not convinced.

Now for Muramasa and Dead Space: Extraction, yeah those are nice games that are definitely struggling. I got Muramasa myself but haven't bought DS: Extraction yet. One thing I'll say though is that GrimGrimoire and Odin Sphere (previous VanillaWare games) didn't have stellar sales on the PS2 either. And Muramasa just came out in Europe and is apparently very poorly distributed (I've read stuff about only 5,000 copies being available in France). There's talk of releasing it on X360/PS3 though, so if it ever happens we'll see if that will boost sales.

The case of DS: Extraction is a bit particular because it's a game no one had asked for. A rail-shooter spin-off trying to emulate the success of RE: The Umbrella Chronicles, which is all fine and dandy but the rail shooter genre was dead before the Wii came out and suddenly there's an avalanche of such titles on the console. To be honest I think that game was a strategic mistake on EA's side.

CowTip said:
EA started making a push on the Wii mostly due to the installed user base thinking they could get some big numbers, but it ended up costing them and now they're reeling away from it. In fact, EA is blaming a lot of their current financial setbacks to their push on the Wii and the failures they've faced.

Read this article for depressing news (There's a number of other sites that have covered this, Joystiq was just the first that showed up in a google search):

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/11/ea-says-wii-software-performance-weaker-than-anticipated/

I read video game news pretty regularly so I know what Riccitiello said. Which is this:

"To be honest with you, I think the Wii platform has been a little weaker than we had certainly anticipated and there is no lack of frustration to be doing that at precisely the time where we have the strongest third-party share. Wii is where we are missing it and so I really do think that the opportunity exists to find different ways to partner with first party in this case to sort of help establish in the minds of the consumer legitimacy of some of these other brands when they are going out multiplatform because very, very few multiplatform titles are succeeding on the Wii."

He's understandably frustrated (most certainly by DS: Extraction's failure) but I wouldn't say "reeling". I read this as a call to Nintendo to step up and help promote/collaborate on EA's Wii titles, which they should have probably been doing in the first place. Still, EA has been having financial troubles for a while now. Mirror's Edge didn't sell well for example (sadly, because it's a great game IMHO), but they couldn't blame it on the platform.

CowTip said:
I'm sure Microsoft is at least keeping it's eyes on Sony's overall console sales, especially with the recent spike since the slim was released, but as the Wii shows, it's more about the audience and the types of games you're making rather than the overall numbers, but Sony and Microsoft both share similar audiences. Another good example of this is to look at Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars or Moon on the DS. Both good games rated very highly which both more or less bombed due to the audience of the system (especially GTA considering how well known a series it is).

Your argument here would work so well if only GTA: Chinatown Wars hadn't bombed on the PSP, selling only 12,003 units on its first week compared to 64,611 for the NDS. What does that tell us? That current GTA fans don't like the old school formula of the first 2 games in the series (overhead camera) and prefer the GTA III standard. It's a shame because the game is fantastic. In any case the platform argument doesn't work here, in fact it's a great counter-example.

CowTip said:
Regardless, I think it's dumb that people are saying Microsoft only did this to push up sales numbers. I for one welcome harsher penalties to pirates.

I wholeheartedly agree on both points.

CowTip said:
It'd be lovely if Sony could figure out some way to combat some of the piracy of the PSP as I'm convinced that the prominence and ease of piracy has really pushed a lot of would be developers away from the system.

Piracy on portable systems is appalling. And it's not just the PSP either. I'm afraid I've never seen anyone playing a NDS in the street without a SD card. And of all the people I know who possess a DS, no one buys their games. No one. You'd think it'd just be tech savvy people but no: kids, women, middle aged people, it's everyone. Sad world we live in.

Nomad said:
Modern Warfare was the cherry on the top for a lot of people, but I assure you. It wasn't the main source.

I know that. It's not what I was saying. Just that they broke a record of audience on the Live right after the ban. Meaning the pirates are not being missed.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/700862/Ubisoft-Not-Publishing-No-More-Heroes-Heroes-Paradise-Aka-No-More-Heroes-HD-.html
Grasshopper Manufacture made gamers who missed out on the first No More Heroes(or don't own a Wii) happy with the announcement of an upgraded, visually-tweaked No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise for both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The original game is going under the high-definition knife and will be released in its native territory in February. There's some bad news, though. Ubisoft confirmed to me it will not be publishing No More Heroes on Xbox 360 and PS3 in the US.
:mozgus: What the fuck Ubiosoft! What the fuck!

Top Bottom