Episode 201

As usual, I can't guarantee these few details are legit... not yet anyway...

Flora knows that she'll eventually die, and she wants Schierke to stay with Guts.
And it looks like Flora and the Skull Knight know each other.

I've read a few comments about how the episode explains a few things about the world of Berserk, a bit like episode 83 did...

Lliugusamui

around the corner
you make me wonder whether Flora and Skull Knight could be of the same 'nature', which is kinda an unknown... and if she's going to die, what about old Skully ?

fletch

Treading trodden trails for a long, long time.
Skullknight, Flora, & l33t Plot madness! madness!!! MADNESS!!!
man, this would probably be really big news if not for that karnov thing on the 200 thread...

The title: "Kakuryo" ("spiritual world", something among those lines)

The brands apparently react to witches (?).

Flora can attenuate the power of the brands.

Flora knew Guts and Casca would come because she was told by "her Kakuryo friend" (probably the Skull Knight?).

The real world is "connected"/"mixed" with at least 2 other planes.

Mythical creatures such as Elves or Trolls are inhabitants of the Kakuryo.

The Kakuryo has several layers, and gods and demons exist in the third one (along with the God Hands?).

Miura takes a break in the next issue (not really surprising: we got 6 episodes in a row).

I'm not sure about all that... Not yet... We'll know more when several summaries of this episode will be online.

)
Flora knew Guts and Casca would come because she was told by "her Kakuryo friend" (probably the Skull Knight?).

This makes me think about what the skullknight is made of maybe he is a spirit who can only exist in the world by living in his bone armor.

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
This makes me think about what the skullknight is made of maybe he is a spirit who can only exist in the world by living in his bone armor.

Which would explain why he has mist around him whenever he seems to appear from the backround. I seem to remember Walter pointing that very mystery out somewhere. I guess its not a mystery any longer or its close to being explained :p

This could be a good and bad thing for Guts and Casca, methinks.

The real world is "connected"/"mixed" with at least 2 other planes.

Mythical creatures such as Elves or Trolls are inhabitants of the Kakuryo.

The Kakuryo has several layers, and gods and demons exist in the third one (along with the God Hands?).
Ah, this is what I was wanting to see in my complaints about the fantasy elements. I wonder if the Idea of Evil is the other or one of the other planes? Guts could certainly be in a realm of his own too. Either way, like chapter 83, it's something that appears to transcend the "greatness" of Griffith.

Lliugusamui

around the corner
talking of kakuryo and such planes :
what if the 'kakuryans' meet the 'devils' ? is it not Schierke who said that being close to Griffith could make her be lost on that plane ?
do you remember when skull knight came to save guts and casca that time, when he appeared, he kinda 'broke' sky, was it linked ?

fletch

Treading trodden trails for a long, long time.
talking of kakuryo and such planes :
what if the 'kakuryans' meet the 'devils' ? is it not Schierke who said that being close to Griffith could make her be lost on that plane ?
do you remember when skull knight came to save guts and casca that time, when he appeared, he kinda 'broke' sky, was it linked ?

probably. as oliver reported to us (thanks, as always, for providing us with early info). plus, it's in keeping with some stuff said very early on about the godhand. i know this is likely a bad translation, but i read one of volume 3 when gatts was describing the function of the beherit. "it's a key to the doorway between our dimension & theirs," i think was pretty close to the translation i read.
the more interesting point this brings up in my mind, however, is that skull knight could break through the dimensions like that. maybe it's just because the planes were closer together due to the eclipse, or maybe that's supposed to be a clue to the skull knight's origins that he can break through to the "dark" plane. i'd say that's a good point of evidence for the skull knight=gaiserric=reborn godhand theory right there. who knows, maybe miura will even confirm that within the next couple years.

roberto999

The Black Chick of Darkness

The brands apparently react to witches (?).

Why,then, Guts mark doesn't react to Skully? Isn't he a dweller of the spirit world ?

Why,then, Guts mark doesn't react to Skully? Isn't he a dweller of the spirit world  ?
Elves are too, and as you know...

I'll try to post a summary of that episode, but I'm still not sure about the exact meaning of Flora's and Schierke's words, so it's kinda difficult... Also, I haven't seen the actual episode and that doesn't help... ^^;

roberto999

Miura takes a break in the next issue (not really surprising: we got 6 episodes in a row).
What was exactly said about that Olivier? To me 201
begin to sound like a ending.

What was exactly said about that Olivier?
Well, nothing? It's just a break, you know? ^^;
To me 201 begin to sound like a ending.
No, it's not an ending at all? Why do you say that? o_0;

Sorry about the summary... I'm not even sure about the exact meaning of the episode myself, so... If I could see the actual episode, rather than _other summaries/interpretations_, it would be a bit easier, I guess, but... ^^;

D

Drachenfels

I find the idea of multiple dimensions somehow stupid. This idea was so overused in too many fantasy books.
There should be only one "otherworld", like the God Hand Dimension.

Frogacuda

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
So is Kakuryo like another world, or like another layer of reality? I mean if Puck is from Kakuryo wouldn't he know? I don't quite get it.

Boonki

Christopher Lowell's Rainbow Six
I kinda like the alternate reality thing. It explains a lot... like... to me, the series was very un-fantasy like through the beginning (minus the first 3 books) and like besides one or two little things like Zodd and the Behelit, we didn't see much in terms of monsters and such. Then it was like "bam" tons of monsters and demons and such and the series just completely flipped out. The alternate layers explain how these two realities existed without running into each other. I remember a while back reading a post about "Where were all these monsters in the earlier chapters? Hiding in bushes?" I think this answers where they were. I don't think there's a difference between having more than one reality... if you have two, what's three gonna hurt, right? Maybe because I'm not into any fantasy stuff besides this, I don't have a grasp of "played" storylines with alternate realities, but I think it's reasonable for the story we've read so far in Berserk. Then again, what choice do we have? ^_^

I would say that although I do like more characters being added to the story, I hope Miura starts pulling everything together. It's getting late into the game to make it a super fantasy that you could build a universe around (you know, make Final Berserk Fantasy games and such later on). We need to see Gutts turn into a demon god to behead Griffith and become the new Zodd.

The story:

Flora knows that she's about to die and she can't leave her house to rid Morgan's village from the Trolls, so she asks Schierke to go.
Schierke doesn't seem to think she's ready for that yet, so Flora asks Guts to help her, in exchange for talismans that would protect Casca and him from the specters for a while, so that they can get to Elfhelm. Guts agrees.

They decide to stay for the night, and while they're eating, Flora and Schierke explain "a few things"...

There are three "parallel" worlds:

* the "real", physical world
* the astral world, the world of spirits (also called the "Kakuryo" (Japanese term))
* the world of essences, of ideas (I'm talking about the Greek word "idea", as in Platonic philosophy, not the English one)

Sorcerers use their ancient art to free their astral body from the restraints of the physical world in order to explore the astral one.

The first stratum, the "surface" of the astral world is called the "Interstice" ("Hazama" in Japanese... that's where Guts and Casca now stand because of their brands, according to the Skull Knight).
Legendary creatures, such as Elves or Trolls, live there as astral beings.
It's not that different from the "real world" because it's formed by astral counterparts of parts of the physical world. As a matter of fact, it looks like the legendary creatures I mentioned before may be the product of human beliefs... I'm not sure about that part.
It's also the place where the souls of dead people who "couldn't let go" of the real world are wandering. If they lose their "form", they disappear from this layer of the astral world.
The power of Guts and Casca's brands makes them "visible" for these lost souls, if the souls can "feel" their presence well enough, they can also "touch" them as if they were real.
That's also how people can see or touch creatures like Elves as if they were physical: tales of their existence have existed for so long that they seem to "naturally" belong in this world, for humans. But things are changing, mostly because of the Holy See and its teachings, and more and more people can't see Elves anymore. Being unable to communicate with humans, they began to disappear in the astral world.

The deep layers of the astral world are inhabited by extremely powerful astral beings that are referred to as angels, demons or gods.
The Skull Knight used similar terms when talking about the God Hands, so I'd say that's where they are.

According to Flora, a living being can't go deeper than that, but the next layer would be the one where territories generally called "heaven" and "hell" are.

And even deeper, in the abyss, there may be... something else. ^^

Once again, I haven't read the actual episode, and maybe I got some details wrong...

roberto999

Well, nothing? It's just a break, you know? ^^;
No, it's not an ending at all? Why do you say that? o_0;
I was thinking along the lines of "a ending open to hope" and surely no previous issue had offered so much hope to Gatsu and Caska as n.201. Also I was suspicious about the sudden revelations since Miura was so thrifty of them up to now. To me it seemed the classic last explanations before closing business. luckily it is not so and while your post explain many things it also open new mysteries like what is really Elfheim? What is really a apostle? up today we saw them like humans empowered by the godhand but if so they will have apparently no place in the universe portraied by Miura. Why Flora think she is about to die? illness or premonition? and so on...however thanks again for your excellent work

D

Drachenfels

luckily it is not so and while your post explain many things it also open new mysteries like what is really Elfheim?

Home of the Elfs, like the name suggests?

What is really a apostle? up today we saw them like humans empowered by the godhand but if so they will have apparently no place in the universe portraied by Miura.

They are a mean with which the god hand/the idea try to control the fate. That's their role. And maybe strengthen the Idea trough the evil they do.

Why Flora think she is about to die?

Hüpsenkraps.

Here's a pic from the chapter it comes from the italian Berserk site.

http://digilander.iol.it/berserksito/storia/201cap.jpg

Top Bottom