Burj Dubai... Anyone heard before?

got bored since berserk is not coming out soon, thus spent time searching for some interesting skyscraper stuff...

Not sure abt all but i am sure some might know abt burj dubai, the soon-to-be world tallest structure

bd1.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

bd3.jpg

burj-dubai-sketch.jpg

And the jaw dropping comparison between its actual height and the current construction height... Awesome indeed...

Aazealh said:
I know I wouldn't feel safe in that building. Too tall and thin.

As thin as it looked... the foundation is strong enough to support the structure above 3000ft (up to 950m)

You will be seeing it penetrating the clouds

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Smith said:
As thin as it looked... the foundation is strong enough to support the structure above 3000ft (up to 950m)

You will be seeing it penetrating the clouds
Just another target for them TERRORIST'S!

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
from what I've heard, we actually have the technology to make building materials strong enough to build a space elevator (a big tower that connects the earth to what is officially outer space). Of course, funding such a thing is another story...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Smith said:

Yeah, at least according to the builder's calculations. Buildings have collapsed in the past and they were supposed to be "strong enough" too. I'm fine with it and the project is clearly impressive (heard about it when it was first announced), I just wouldn't want to live or work in there.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Last time someone said something like that the Titantic was sinking.

True indeed... But think again which supertall currently have collasped? (Other than the 640m Warsaw TV mast which collasped during a renovation back in 1991, it is not considered a proper structure in fact)

Given its design, wide base and super slim pinnacles, I doubt it will have higher chances of collasping as compared to the proposed rival Al Burj...

Just an update for you guys who are interested (I am... for i love building :carcus:)

And yeah its getting too thin... not in proportion even when compare with penis...

burjdubai061207.jpg

burjdubai061612.jpg

Night view

burjdubai060908.jpg

The original completed date is 30 dec 2008... But recent last minute decision of increasing the height further and improving the foundation has postponed the date to 30 June 2009...

Not 100% confirm but that is what they say anyway...

Anyway current status of that monster is 134 floors, or around 484 m tall... Here is a diagram how it fare against other world tallest structures concurrently...

diagrambb7.png

Finally got better pics of the this monster... Its just another 20m away from holding the world record of the tallest building...

imresolt02so9.jpg

imresolt03vv9.jpg

2005471988602035643_rs.jpg

2005472132355277611_rs.jpg

2005482631261486312_rs.jpg

Below pics are just too big... hence just give u guys link...

http://aycu38.webshots.com/image/17677/2005484221064970407_rs.jpg

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/17645/2005477521957470507_rs.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, but is Dubai the arab country that's currently booming at one of the fastest speeds currently? How does it compare to the US dollar?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sparnage said:
Excuse my ignorance, but is Dubai the arab country that's currently booming at one of the fastest speeds currently? How does it compare to the US dollar?

It's part of the United Arab Emirates and I think it's been well off for a while, like 50 years at least. Nowadays they're axing the development on business and tourism, that's why they're building impressive structures like the Burj Dubai.

Aazealh said:
It's part of the United Arab Emirates and I think it's been well off for a while, like 50 years at least. Nowadays they're axing the development on business and tourism, that's why they're building impressive structures like the Burj Dubai.

Back 10 years ago... Dubai was still a plain desert...

Now its becoming a huge city like new york or Tokyo... unimaginable indeed...

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Smith said:
Back 10 years ago... Dubai was still a plain desert...

Now its becoming a huge city like new york or Tokyo... unimaginable indeed...
ugggh, from them pictures it looks like it has a LONG way to go before it tries to be comparable to Tokyo or New York.

Call me paranoid out of my ass, but with the way things are right now in that general area. I would not feel comfortable at all being in a building like that at all! :miura:

Aazealh said:

Interesting. I've done some research recently, and it seems I've decided it's on my priority list of places to stop in on my next holiday. ;D

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1929547475877324485

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
Call me paranoid out of my ass, but with the way things are right now in that general area. I would not feel comfortable at all being in a building like that at all! :miura:

I don't see what peoples fear of the thin structure is, I trust the people know how to make a stable building and I'd go up in a heartbeat. Christ even in the ridiculously unlikely chance it did fall and you were there, chances are high of dying on impact and that's all I could hope for.

Great news. 21st july 2007

Just a historical news for you guys to share...

Burj Dubai Reaches A Record High

At 512.1 Metres (1,680 feet) And 141 Storeys, Burj Dubai Is The Tallest Building In The World

Advertising Info
Today the world has a new global landmark - Burj Dubai. At 512.1 metres (1,680 ft), Burj Dubai, developed by Emaar Properties, is the tallest building in the world. The achievement once again puts Dubai in the international spotlight and underlines Emaar’s arrival as a global developer.

Now a Financial Times Global 500 (FT Global 500) company, Emaar has a significant presence in 30 international markets.

Burj Dubai is now taller than Taipei 101 in Taiwan, which at 508 metres* (1,667 ft) has held the tallest-building-in-the-world title since it opened in 2004. Burj Dubai has now reached 141 storeys - more storeys than any other building in the world.

On schedule for completion in 2008, Burj Dubai will be the tallest structure in the world in all four of the criteria listed by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH). The council measures height to the structural top, the highest occupied floor, to the top of the roof, and to the tip of the spire, pinnacle, antenna, mast or flag pole.

During its construction, Burj Dubai has left behind the skyscrapers that previously defined tall tower architecture around the world, such as Petronas Towers in Malaysia (452 metres, 1,483 ft); Sears Tower, Chicago (442 metres, 1,451 ft); Jin Mao Building, Shanghai (421 metres, 1,381 ft) and Empire State Building, New York (381 metres, 1,250 ft).

The Burj Dubai story is only beginning. The final height and number of storeys, a topic of enthusiastic debate among media and experts alike, has not yet been revealed. But from now on, the tower will set new records for its technical and architectural ingenuity.

When completed, Burj Dubai will have consumed 330,000 cubic meters of concrete, 39,000 metric tons of steel rebar and 142,000 sq m of glass – and 22 million man hours. The tower will have 56 elevators travelling at 1.75 to 10 metres/sec and double-decker observatory elevators that can carry 42 people at a time.

More than 313,700 cubic metres of reinforced concrete and 62,200 tonnes of reinforcing steel have been used in the tower’s construction so far. Burj Dubai has already set a new world record for vertical concrete pumping for a building by pumping to over 460 metres (1,509 ft). The previous record of 448 metres (1,470 ft) was held by Taipei 101.

Reflecting a no-compromise approach to safety, Burj Dubai has been designed to manage the effect of wind and seismic movements. High-strength concrete makes up the tower’s super-structure, which is supported by large reinforced concrete mats and piles. The 80,000 sq ft foundation slab and 50-metre deep piling are waterproofed and feature cathodic protection.

Burj Dubai became the tallest building in the world in just 1,276 days; excavation work started in January, 2004. More than 5,000 consultants and skilled construction workers are employed on site, and the world’s fastest high-capacity construction hoists, with a speed of up to 2 m/sec (120 metres/min), move men and materials.

Structural steel work for the tower will begin soon, and cladding work using a high-performance system has already started.

The primary cladding materials of reflective glazing, aluminium and textured stainless steel spandrel panels and vertical stainless tubular fins accentuate the tower’s height and slenderness to the eye.

“Four years ago Burj Dubai was conceived by Emaar Properties as a 90-storey structure. It was the UAE Vice President and Prime Minister and Ruler of Dubai, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who inspired us to ‘resist the usual’ and build a global icon,” said Mr Mohamed Ali Alabbar, Chairman, Emaar Properties.

He said: “Burj Dubai is not just an architectural and engineering masterpiece in concrete, steel and glass. It is a human achievement without equal. Burj Dubai will inspire future generations to think beyond the ordinary and to challenge their mind and spirit.”

Emaar Properties has partnered with best-in-class consultants such as South Korean construction major Samsung Corporation and New York-based Project Manager Turner Construction to realise the design of internationally admired architect Adrian Smith and Skidmore, Owings & Merrill of Chicago.

Burj Dubai will be at the centre of Downtown Burj Dubai, a US$20 billion, 500-acre downtown development billed as the most prestigious square kilometre on earth.

Burj Dubai will feature residential, commercial and retail components including the world’s first Armani Hotel & Residences, exclusive corporate suites, a business centre, four luxurious pools and spas, an observation platform on Level 124 and 150,000 sq ft of fitness facilities.

source: www.dubaitouristguide.com

my.php

Congratulation to this monster :carcus:

imresolt58xq0.jpg

S

smoke

Can you imagine the elevator rides?

Fucking sell tickets like an amusement park, they should.

smoke said:
Can you imagine the elevator rides?

Fucking sell tickets like an amusement park, they should.

Its a double decker lift featuring the world fastest elevator. It top speed is estimate to hit 63 km/h, bringing visitor up to the highest floor in less than a minute.

And yes I did saw a official website poster of a render that showcase the a portion of the elevator buttons. 3 column at least and the last column reading 189, 190... up to 195 (seem to have alot more, but that is a very eminent sign of the final height)

Wont be surprised if they wanna hit 200 floors.

BD breaking record!

toronto.jpg

CN tower, the iconic tower of canada, one that stood on firmly as the world tallest free-standing for a staggering 32 years, has finally been superseded

Burj Dubai, aka Dubai tower is the new world tallest free-standing structure, construction on the 150th floors which begins on 10 sept has finally bought the tower to a record breaking milestone of 555.3m (1822ft).

imresolt44hm3.jpg

2003888047448237329_rs.jpg

Comparsion diagram

burjdubaielevationbestku8.jpg

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
ugggh, from them pictures it looks like it has a LONG way to go before it tries to be comparable to Tokyo or New York.

Oh btw i just remember this, I received news that around 30+ buildings above 1000ft has been proposed and U/C in Dubai alone. There is no need for 10 years. Before that Dubai will have a skyline that is more impressive than NY.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
The more I see it the more I agree with Aaz, I would not want to work there- especially on the upper floors. It would make me feel uneasy.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: BD breaking record!

Smith said:
Oh btw i just remember this, I received news that around 30+ buildings above 1000ft has been proposed and U/C in Dubai alone. There is no need for 10 years. Before that Dubai will have a skyline that is more impressive than NY.

And what are they going to do with all these buildings, considering the population is barely over a million inhabitants? Warehouses maybe?

Top Bottom