Burj Dubai... Anyone heard before?

A

avidwriter

I saw something on Nat Geo a few weeks ago. They are building all these huge buildings and fake islands to bring in more money to the country. They said that the oil they have won't be lasting another 10 years or so and they don't want the country to fall into hell when that happens.

PS. Don't quote me on that its just what I remember.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
And more power to them, but I think these oil tycoons just have nothing better to blow their money on than extravagant, ego-building phallic structures.

This is what we should be doing in today's world, building really tall buildings.

Smith, why don't you go have sex with yourself over it if you love it so much.

Gay shit...

0808026siteaerialnj8.jpg

0808027siteaerialvg9.jpg

S

Sanguinius

Rhombaad said:
Just remember, it's in the middle of a desert. :guts:

That's worth remembering, space is at a premium there, they wouldn't want a cheap urban expansion as that would take up too much precious land, which is why they need to invest so much of their money in high rise buildings. When they run out of oil there they certainly won't say they squandered their oil wealth when they had it :troll:

Here is also another very interesting video of the view right at the peak of the spire... 818m above the street ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWVLzVhnYE0

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, I'm enjoying the negative articles calling it the Tower of Babel, saying the monetary investment in it is literally and figuratively built on a foundation of sand, and how ironically passé and futile constructing the tallest building in the world as a status symbol is today.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:
Yeah, I'm enjoying the negative articles calling it the Tower of Babel, saying the monetary investment in it is literally and figuratively built on a foundation of sand, and how ironically passé and futile constructing the tallest building in the world as a status symbol is today.
I don't think it's that absurd to make quips about the tallest building in the world. It's such a crude goal to have in this modern age. It takes more than being _really big_ to impress people today.

PS: I wonder how long the elevator ride is, and if there's like, refreshments offered if you go from floor 1 to floor 10,000 or whatever.

Griffith

Walter said:
I don't think it's that absurd to make quips about the tallest building in the world. It's such a crude goal to have in this modern age. It takes more than being _really big_ to impress people today.

Oh, I agree, I wasn't being sarcastic, I really am enjoying those harsh critiques. :guts:

Walter said:
PS: I wonder how long the elevator ride is, and if there's like, refreshments offered if you go from floor 1 to floor 10,000 or whatever.

Heh, I bet it's certainly impressive in person, but for something so massive and supposedly symbolic, it does seems kind of hollow and even petty in this day and age. I'm much more impressed with what they're doing in China with their architecture and city building.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Walter said:

グリフィス said:
Oh, I agree, I wasn't being sarcastic, I really am enjoying those harsh critiques. :guts:

Heh, I bet it's certainly impressive in person, but for something so massive and supposedly symbolic, it does seems kind of hollow and even petty in this day and age. I'm much more impressed with what they're doing in China with their architecture and city building.

Its quite obvious that you PEASENTS are the type of folk who can't appreciate such a technological marvel such as this. These buildings among the other items being built are truly so big that if god existed, I doubt that he could consume them all! :troll:

With the amount of money being spent there, why not make the entire fucking desert green, full of grass and tree's and shit? What ever! NOT MY DIME!

Griffith

Dubai-Dept-R.jpg

Dubai Debt Crisis Halts Building Of World's Largest Indoor Mountain Range

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/dubai_debt_crisis_halts_building

Dubai-Debt-Jump-R.jpg

Some of the more conservative construction projects completed before Dubai's financial meltdown.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2010-01-04-dubai-worlds-tallest-buiding_N.htm

Old news, but new to me. Following a $10 billion bailout, the tower was renamed from Burj Dubai to Burj Khalifa.

Dubai opened the world's tallest skyscraper Monday, and in a surprise move renamed the gleaming glass-and-metal tower Burj Khalifa in a nod to the leader of neighboring Abu Dhabi— the oil-rich sheikdom that came to its rescue during the financial meltdown.

In more recent news, Dubai is having difficulty in keeping it occupied.

In October, an estimated 825 of the tower’s 900 luxury apartments remained unoccupied as landlords slashed rents in a bid to attract tenants.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
This is incredible. But it looks really hot. Yuck. That video of the guy at the top gave me serious vertigo.

Top Bottom