Formerly passé FF fanboy thread, now miscellaneous (open mic)

My Favorite Game of all time. I loved the battle system. The story was great. Watching all these spin off even to day makes the games original story even better.

The Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core Trailer is out too. I found it on Youtube but SquareEnix has been telling people to pull the trailer off their sites.

Would any one else agree this is the best video game in history?

Dirty Dog

Re: Final Fantasy 7 Thread

Final Fantasy VII is over-rated.
Beyond that, I think Square-Enix is trying too hard to cash in on a game that's already several years old...

Dirty Dog

I mostly play Final Fantasy games.

It's just that FFVII is extremely over-rated, and IMO sucks ass in comparison to FFVIII and FFIX.

Grail

Feel the funk blast

It was pretty good for its time, and I must say I quite enjoyed the silly antics and battle animation.

Other than that, I'm in the same boat as Dirty Dog. I remember how, 5 years ago, people were begging and begging for Square to expand on FFVII's story instead of working on just new stuff (and I won't hesitate to admit that I was one of those bozos).

Now, it's just like eating too much of an otherwise tasty dish. :judo:

I see how it is. LOL Yeah, but can we agree Final Fantasy offer get stories and game place at least? LOL

You see I'm old school. I don't want to brag but I have a lot of video game crap. My person favorite game serise is Resident Evil. But my favorite single game woud be FF7. Too bad I can't share the love..... :judo:.........welp....more for me! :guts:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

Death May Die said:
My Favorite Game of all time. I loved the battle system. The story was great. Watching all these spin off even to day makes the games orginal story even better.

The Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core Trailer is out too. I found it on Youtube but SquareEnix has been telling people to pull the trailer off their sites.

Would any one else agree this is the best video game in history?

Castelvania blew ff7 out of the fucking water that year.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Castelvania blew ff7 out of the fucking water that year.

Bob, have I told you lately that I love you?

Final Fantasy 7, huh? It was the only Final Fantasy game I ever completed, seeing as how I'm not really a fan or anything. It's definitely one of the best RPGs I ever played, seeing as how I'm not really a fan of those either. I loved the game when I played through it and I really had a fun time with it. I thought I'd have the same experience with FF8 but played the card game more than continuing the storyline. But man FF7, SoTN, and Resident Evil remind me of...well.. better days. I miss those days when I could just play videogames and be free to just screw around and use my free time for whatever I wanted.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
I still demand a COMPLETE re-make of FF4(2 in America). I'm talking about the whole shebang!(sp?)
What was wrong with the GBA remake? I played through it recently and it had several elements that made it feel SORT of like a newer game (new abilities, "higher" difficulty, new weapons/items, etc.). I guess you're asking for something like what Square did with FF3 for the DS recently?

Anyway, I was spoiled to FF7 since I had so much anticipation for it. I played the demo with Tobal No. 1, and was so psyched I imported the game and modded my PS just to play it. Obviously, most of the game was lost on me until the North American game came out, but by then I didn't even care.

Still, even with subsequent repeats, the game fails to impress me. However, I can understand why it's many people's favorite RPG, especially since it's many newer gamers first RPG.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Walter said:
What was wrong with the GBA remake? I played through it recently and it had several elements that made it feel SORT of like a newer game (new abilities, "higher" difficulty, new weapons/items, etc.). I guess you're asking for something like what Square did with FF3 for the DS recently?

Also another feature they added I believe was that you could switch out your party members ala FF3 to fight in the last battle, but i want it updated with better graphics! I DEMAND A FF12 type version of 4! I think it was the best... sure FF3 had some touching moments, but FF4 was the first RPG I had ever played... <3

Dirty Dog

dwarfkicker said:
Seems to be working.
Well, yes.
But that's because the game's so over rated.
9/10 of the people who say "omg FFVII is like the best game eva!!" haven't even given any other Final Fantasy games a chance, and most likely aren't "hardcore" (or even "casual") gamers, but most likely "social" gamers. (the people that Sports games target)

however, there are also die-hard final fantasy games who will get any Final Fantasy game, like one of my exes.

and I'll admit, Dirge of Cerberus was a pretty good game (considering it took 5 hours to beat >.>)

and I would love FFIV/FFII to be completely remade, as that's my third favorite game; but I'd prefer for FFIX to be remade, they made the characters far too cartoony in the cinemas.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Dirty Dog said:
and I'll admit, Dirge of Cerberus was a pretty good game (considering it took 5 hours to beat >.>)
I'm sure a few people, hell a lot of people are going to say the opposite of you. I remember going to a Japanese department store and seeing literally like 15 copies of that game in the bargain/used games section. The game had just come out like a week prior! Never played it so I'm not a real voice of authority on it but people have said its pretty horrid.

Dirty Dog

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
I'm sure a few people, hell a lot of people are going to say the opposite of you. I remember going to a Japanese department store and seeing literally like 15 copies of that game in the bargain/used games section. The game had just come out like a week prior! Never played it so I'm not a real voice of authority on it but people have said its pretty horrid.
The game is pretty good (not as good as I was hoping, but good).
I think people were either expecting either a FFVII-2, with similar combat style and such; or a FPS game. I personally hate FPS games, and am very glad they went with 3rd person.
However, I'm glad I only rented it, I would've beaten myself over the head for paying full price for a game I beat overnight.

I think it flunked out because it's a 3rd person shooter, those are almost never popular.

It's a short game, and it's not the type of game you can play over and over again (admittedly, FFVII was a game like that).
It's worth renting, but not buying. Probably why people are getting rid of them so quickly.

Dirty Dog said:
I mostly play Final Fantasy games.

It's just that FFVII is extremely over-rated, and IMO sucks ass in comparison to FFVIII and FFIX.

Holy shit, i thought i was the only one who thought FFVIII was better than VII. There was just more personal character development in VIII in my opinion. Plus Sephiroth is bad-ass, but not nearly as much as people make him out to be. He really isnt even in the game that much at all.

SaiyajinNoOuji

TheBeast43105 said:
Holy shit, i thought i was the only one who thought FFVIII was better than VII. There was just more personal character development in VIII in my opinion. Plus Sephiroth is bad-ass, but not nearly as much as people make him out to be. He really isnt even in the game that much at all.
Worst idea ever to get your magic from enemies(well not that bad). To be more specific... to have a limited amount of it and having to farm for it... fuck, if I want to farm for shit i'd play an MMO!

I traded that game in for a grill, best trade ever!

SoTN. I have to agree. You guys are more Hardcore than I thought.

CRONO TRIGGER RING A BELL?
SUPER METROID?

I still put FF7 over all of these hahahah! :serpico:

Crazyness

Dirty Dog

TheBeast43105 said:
Sephiroth wasn't very bad-ass at all... In comparison to bad-asses in other games, at least.
I agree, character development was better in VIII, but I also just liked the plot a bit better.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Death May Die said:
You see I'm old school. I don't want to brag but I have a lot of video game crap. My person favorite game serise is Resident Evil. But my favorite single game woud be FF7.

You're old school, eh? Ever played Alone in the Dark? RE's precursor. Pretty scary game for its time.

Dirty Dog said:
The game is pretty good (not as good as I was hoping, but good).
I think people were either expecting either a FFVII-2, with similar combat style and such; or a FPS game. I personally hate FPS games, and am very glad they went with 3rd person.

It's a decent game if you're a Final Fantasy fan (otherwise...). But "pretty good" is a bit strong for what it is IMHO. The US version was fixed and has less problems than the JP one, but the gameplay's still not very good, and in these games that's really the most important thing. Add to that the fact it lasted you 5 hours, and it's hard to find a reason to buy it. Which brings me to the point that if it was pretty good, you would tell people it's worth buying. :guts: At least that's how I work.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.

Aazealh said:
You're old school, eh? Ever played Alone in the Dark? RE's precursor. Pretty scary game for its time.

Holy moses, I completely forgot about that game. I was just a little kid when I first played it, and let me tell you, the first time that wolf jumps through the window... scary as hell. I dont think I ever found the gun either... I died a lot. Man, I gotta find that game and play it proper.

Death May Die said:
SoTN. I have to agree. You guys are more Hardcore than I thought.

I realize there is some value in categorizing things, but I've always hated people who refer to themselves or others as hardcore or casual. What ever happened to playing games because you enjoyed them? What do I care how much they actually play?

That said, Chrono Trigger is by far one of my favorite RPGs, and so is Super Mario RPG, actually. I'm also a big fan of Earthbound and Ogre Battle. The SNES had some great RPGs in its time. Even today, I find I still play my SNES about as much as my newer systems

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Scorpio said:
Holy moses, I completely forgot about that game. I was just a little kid when I first played it, and let me tell you, the first time that wolf jumps through the window... scary as hell. I dont think I ever found the gun either... I died a lot. Man, I gotta find that game and play it proper.

Haha yeah, it's a classic for survival horror fans.

Scorpio said:
I realize there is some value in categorizing things, but I've always hated people who refer to themselves or others as hardcore or casual. What ever happened to playing games because you enjoyed them? What do I care how much they actually play?

Playing games? Don't you mean GAMING?

Dirty Dog

Aazealh said:

It's a decent game if you're a Final Fantasy fan (otherwise...). But "pretty good" is a bit strong for what it is IMHO. The US version was fixed and has less problems than the JP one, but the gameplay's still not very good, and in these games that's really the most important thing. Add to that the fact it lasted you 5 hours, and it's hard to find a reason to buy it. Which brings me to the point that if it was pretty good, you would tell people it's worth buying. :guts: At least that's how I work.

To me, "pretty good" is the same as "rent it if you have a chance".
I personally think it's a pretty good game to take a break on (seeing that it's easy and short), but not a game you can play actively (which most final fantasy games are).

And, if you can find it in a bin somewhere for $10, and don't mind wasting $10 on something that only lasts for about 5 hours, I would suggest buying it.

Scorpio, some people (those who use the term, it's not nearly as common as the term "hardcore") would refer to you as a "casual" gamer, especially with that attitude.

Casual means you do it quite a bit, and you do it because you enjoy it.
And hardcore means it's practically your life, and you probably get a little too into it. (bit of an exaggeration, but from what I've seen in the past, not too much :troll: )

Top Bottom