Heroes (spoilers within)

Judo

Midlands finest
yeah, and would you mind telling us the source of this info?
let me guess... you read it in another board?

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Judo said:
yeah, and would you mind telling us the source of this info?
let me guess... you read it in another board?

"Already it has been alleged that NBC's 'Heroes' has used elements of the themes and characters of Watchmen, but there is now news of a blatant rip-off of the ending - http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=thud&id=8969 (spoilers for Heroes and Watchmen alike)."

Now i ask you politely to STFU! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
"Already it has been alleged that NBC's 'Heroes' has used elements of the themes and characters of Watchmen, but there is now news of a blatant rip-off of the ending - http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=thud&id=8969 (spoilers for Heroes and Watchmen alike)."

I appreciate the heads up, but I don't think I'm alone in thanking you for not discussing these huge spoilers in the thread. So, please keep a lid on it, and just link to this stuff in the future, like you've done here.

I'd really rather have this thread be to discuss recently aired episodes, not distant ones, or MEGA spoiler stuff.

PS: I haven't read the article but would it be a "blatant rip off" or an homage to Watchmen? :guts:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
If you read Watchmen (as everyone should, because its the best western graphic novel ever), and you know the BIG thing that happens near the end then.....well forget it, i'll just quote it from the link above (spoiler free):

"Some of the things that seemed swiped could be written off as the show’s creators just tapping into the general superhero zeitgeist or, in the case of the watch repair, an homage. But this storyline isn’t homage – it’s plain old theft."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
If you read Watchmen (as everyone should, because its the best western graphic novel ever), and you know the BIG thing that happens near the end then.....well forget it, i'll just quote it from the link above (spoiler free):

"Some of the things that seemed swiped could be written off as the show’s creators just tapping into the general superhero zeitgeist or, in the case of the watch repair, an homage. But this storyline isn’t homage – it’s plain old theft."
Yes, I'm familiar with Watchmen. And I've read the article now, and I really don't think it's blatant theft. That blog writer has an axe to grind, for one. He even starts off the article saying how he thinks the show is on par with Ed Wood movies. Not exactly an objective opinion. And another, the situations aren't that similar. I'd post more but I don't want to spoil anything.

We'll see tonight, when all the cards are on the table, and we don't have to rely on fucking blogs for discussion.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Well I just saw it. I don't think it'd be much of a spoiler to say I think it was pretty damn cool.

I can't get the spoiler tags to work, so I'll just leave it at that.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
The ending was interesting, but I'm sort of confused as to what's going on from the preview.. it left more questions to be answered. Either way, the episode was excellent.

I loved this weeks episode.

Correct me if I'm wrong but next week's episode is going to be a "what if" future? That'll be really cool, I can't wait to check it out.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's old news at this point (March 2), but according to Tim Kring, the second season will involve a new cast of characters, with recurring roles from season 1's characters to appear off and on.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=1&id=40354
"We could have new people and new storylines and new ideas and new threats and new bad guys and new heroes. So I would prepare the audience for that idea, that it's not just a continuing serialized storyline about only these people. It's a little more the 24 model than the Lost model."

Heroes needs to evolve, and if we are positing an idea that this is happening all over the world to many, many people, then we get to see some of those people and see how their story fits in."
Fine by me. Sounds cool, but of course, a lot of people will be upset about taking the focus away from established characters. But to be honest, I'm already sick of most of them anyway :guts:

Judo

Midlands finest
NightCrawler said:

yeah, yeah... you definately pwned me by quoting a blog... :schierke:

i've read in a german news-mag that heroes was originally planned as a HBO-release but they sold the concept of what they called "watchmen for adolescents" to nbc.
but the idea of veidt to unite mankind in fear is imo not inventive enough to call lindermans plan a direct ripoff from that.

and the best western graphic novel would be "from hell" imo. anyway, moore keeps the crown... :serpico:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Is the new episode this week? -you know, if you could quickly divert the thread back on topic for a sec?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Is the new episode this week? -you know, if you could quickly divert the thread back on topic for a sec?
Yeah, a new one will be tomorrow, and there'll be one new ep a week until the finale on May 21.

http://tviv.org/Heroes/Season_One

Judo said:
they sold the concept of what they called "watchmen for adolescents" to nbc.
but the idea of veidt to unite mankind in fear is imo not inventive enough to call lindermans plan a direct ripoff from that.
Yeah, and I also think calling Heroes "Watchmen for adolescents" is a huge misnomer to the series.

Anyway, it's been a week since the last ep so... I think it's safe to discuss things now. After all this Watchmen comparison stuff ... I have to say, I think Linderman is more like an evil, conspiracy-ridden George Bush rather than a mock-Ozymandias. He's trying to create 9/11 x100, and Nathan Petrelli will become evil Rudolph Guiliani! :isidro: Honestly, I see much more headline news influence in this aspect of the show than comic book. And I know it's just a small detail, but in Watchmen, Ozymandias was preventing an impending war, Linderman is just preventing general conflict through unity, and ... the lives of millions of people. And I actually think it'll happen at the end of the season.

The bit about Linderman being with a group of other superpowered individuals trying to save the world didnt' seem more similar to Watchmen than, say Kingdom Come, or any other generic comic book series with a history to its universe.

Also, Linderman's power was really uh... super. He can grant life, but can he take it away? :guts: I also wonder what his plans are with Micah. Going to fix his broken Dell laptop with excel spreadsheets with vital, planet-saving information?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Hahahaha, even after 5 years, Parkman's still a loser.

Great ep last night. Heroes: Days of Future Past edition! :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I also think calling Heroes "Watchmen for adolescents" is a huge misnomer to the series.

Yeah that's a pretty retarded way to call it.

Walter said:
Hahahaha, even after 5 years, Parkman's still a loser.

Haha come on, he was quite something in that episode. Which was great indeed, I like how the series' picking up speed. I'd also like to mention while staying spoiler-free that Peter didn't get his scar the way CnC thought he would. :beast:

Wow! I really liked this weeks episode! I didn't catch the preview for next week though. Anybody happen to remember what it's supposed to be about?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
I'd also like to mention while staying spoiler-free that Peter didn't get his scar the way CnC thought he would. :beast:
Yeah, NBC threw us a curve ball indeed. On their preview pictures that were posted here a few pages back, they showed Peter with a totally different, and more predictable scar. Those wily rascals...

We really need to get this spoiler tag thing fixed... there's so much I'd like to discuss about this awesome episode.

Walter said:
Also, Linderman's power was really uh... super.

I thought he was going to offer to heal Nathan's wife. Guess not :judo:

Aazealh said:
I'd also like to mention while staying spoiler-free that Peter didn't get his scar the way CnC thought he would. :beast:
I missed this...what happened again? :???:

By the way, who else thinks both Peter and Sylar will die at the end? They're both too powerful to just leave alive for the next season :carcus:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:

Bah. YOU would like to mention that... :schierke:

But man, awesome episode. Peter is a friggin' monster :beast:
get on those spoiler tags, man!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mage said:
I missed this...what happened again? :???:
Well, at the end of ep 18, and beginning of 19, Skylar begins to slice in his traditional horizontal manner across Peter's skull, but Claire's healing ability kicks in, and the wound heals. We always thought that would be what Future Hero was referring to. But in the future,
the scar on Peter's face is diagonal, across the bridge of his nose.
By the way, who else thinks both Peter and Sylar will die at the end? They're both too powerful to just leave alive for the next season :carcus:
Nah, Sylar's going down, but Peter will live. That's my gut feeling anyway. Though, that's probably just me being sentimental for how cool Peter becomes...

CnC said:
But man, awesome episode. Peter is a friggin' monster :beast:
get on those spoiler tags, man!
I have a plan B I'll incorporate tonight. It's definitely an improvisation, but the way it works is if you've posted in the thread, you can see things that are [spoilered]. Otherwise, its just blank. Until we find something like we used to have, it'll have to do.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
I have a plan B I'll incorporate tonight. It's definitely an improvisation, but the way it works is if you've posted in the thread, you can see things that are [spoilered]. Otherwise, its just blank. Until we find something like we used to have, it'll have to do.

Thats cool... but what about for incremental spoilers like, say, the next episode?

Top Bottom