Heroes (spoilers within)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
Hmm, I was under the impression that he really wasn't ever going to fight a dinosaur, but that it was just when he took the fake sword from the museum and posed in front of the model dinosaur...
Yeah, I thought so too initially. But if that's indeed the case, Isaac really got the painting wrong, and so far his work's been fairly accurate with details. The painting depicts Hiro with sword unsheathed and in ancient-looking surroundings.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Psymont 2.0 said:
with the exception of hiro, who says he is afraid to use his power and end up fighting a dinosaur (whens that gonna happen?)

I think the dinosaur encounter was indeed what we saw when Hiro took the fake sword from the museum.

On that note one should always take the paintings Isaac did with a grain of salt. Isaac drew Hiro stabbing Sylar, but that doesn't necessarily mean thats how he dies. If by some strage twist of fate Peter could absorb Ted's and Hot-mini-skirt-whatsherface's power to change shape - that stabbing could make Peter (for some reason in the guise of Sylar) lose control (and thus explode). Not saying that will happen but I'm suggesting Isaac's insight into the future isn't complete.

As to Derek's issue with Hiro's memory, this is usually where time traveling stories get messy. Remember in the future Claire is still considered dead (although is only underground) until the end of the ep. Hiro could theoretically return to a future where nothing appears to have changed, but actually has. In the Heroes story, there could be a situation where the bomb was an inevitability; or if it was somehow prevented something much worse could happen.

We'll have to stay tuned.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DirectDK said:
Anyways, in regards to a few posts up about how the fire vs ice thing was sorta lame... well, I found the whole alternate reality to be portrayed more like a dream. I don't know if that was the writers' intentions, and in theory, it shouldn't be just a dream, but the actual future...

Well not in theory, that's just the future as it might happen. As it will, if nothing drastic is done.

DirectDK said:
In regards to the Haitian being able to stop more powers than he could before... I think it's POSSIBLE, that the reason is simply that his power has grown much stronger over the past 5 years.

After years of using it? Seems unlikely to me. And I'm pretty sure he stopped other powers before anyway, even though I can't remember which or when. Actually now I do remember that Bennet taunted Sylar when the Haitian was around, telling him his powers wouldn't work.

DirectDK said:
And even despite that, back when Nathan was able to escape by flying, I think the Haitian still has to focus when he wants to stop someone's power.

Yet at other times just being there seemed to be enough to provide a safe powers-free zone.

DirectDK said:
maybe the Haitian wasn't prepared, or he let his offenses down for a split second by chance. Like that time when Parkman was hiding in the car in front of Primatech Paper, and he was able to get a FEW WORDS from HRG's mind (and then his nose started bleeding). Since the Haitian didn't know Parkman was around, maybe that's how Parkman was able to get in just a little bit...

I don't think so. Parkman made an incredible effort to go through the Haitian's protection, and that's why he got a nosebleed, and could only hear one single word.

DirectDK said:
Lastly, my take on the past vs future thing... well, from my small experience in reading/watching stories that deal with past/future, I'm a bit confused on what happened here. [...] Sooo... like Aaz said, it could be that Future Hiro still stabbed Sylar, and he didn't die still for some unknown reason, but according to the 9th Wonder Comic that Isaac drew before dying, it shows that the way to "save the world" is to kill Sylar with the blade that Hiro possesses. [...] So... the only thing that I can see that is going on here, is that since Hiro is a time jumper, changes in the past might not alter his perception or memory like it does for others.

Actually I just read the online comics I hadn't checked out and it confirmed what I believed, so I might be able to help a little here. In the first timeline, before future Hiro went back in time, Sylar killed Claire (yes CnC, they say he killed her) as well as Ted. He then proceeded to explode in New York. Hiro tried to stop him by stabbing him but this failed and Sylar exploded anyway. He didn't die thanks to Claire's ability. Hiro then went back in time and told Peter to save Claire. This altered the timeline. In the new one, Sylar didn't kill Claire nor Ted, and he didn't blow up, instead it's Peter that did. We don't know whether Hiro stabbed Sylar or not but I think it's unlikely it happened. Future Hiro didn't know any of this because the future changed while he was in the past. This is just like in Back to the Future, he came home only to find Biff polishing his Jeep. It doesn't help that he had no time to learn of the differences in the timelines either: as the comic puts it, he met past Hiro as soon as he came back from telling Peter to save Claire. That's why he didn't know she was still alive and all that.

Now concerning what Isaac drew. Aside from CnC's interesting suggestion, let's not forget that this comic was drawn in an alternate reality. Future Hiro seemed to be caring it with him as he travelled back in time, and that might mean it wasn't altered, just like Hiro himself wasn't. That means that comic might be different from the one Isaac drew in the current timeline, and which he told Sylar revealed to the others how they could kill him.

To come back quickly on what CnC said about Isaac's paintings, I agree completely. They're tricky, and that's what makes them so interesting. They tell the future but the message isn't as obvious as it looks. Take Nathan Petrelli in the president's office, or Claire running with a shadow behind her (wasn't Sylar but Peter).

DirectDK said:
In the 2nd to last episode, after Mohinder rammed the chalkboard into Sylar and slammed his head against the wall, causing him to fall to the ground, instead of Mohinder rushing to Peter and taking him away to the Petrelli's house, he should have grabbed the gun, SHOT SYLAR 5 TIMES IN THE HEAD, and then taken Peter away.

This kind of stuff has really been happening far too many times.

DirectDK said:
Since Future Peter is able to stop time now, he's absorbed Hiro's power, so HE should go back in time, and somehow change his past so he doesn't blow up the city.

He probably can't control the powers he absorbs as well as their original users, thus making him unable to travel through time.

DirectDK said:
Hmm, I was under the impression that he really wasn't ever going to fight a dinosaur, but that it was just when he took the fake sword from the museum and posed in front of the model dinosaur...

I also think that's how it's meant to be taken. Save for a big surprise I don't think it'll be touched upon again in the series.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Minor spoilers for ep 21 below.

Sylar and his mom... man, those scenes was painful. I think this episode had some of the worst acting in the series yet. I hope Molly's blood curdles ("I'm 9-years old, and really am far too old to believe in this bullshit, but HERE'S A STAR FOR LUCK").

All the Hiro and Sylar bits really kept me worried all episode...

Word on the street is the finale will be THREE HOURS LONG :isidro:
The Finale is, in fact, three hours long. But in one-hour segments. Act one “The Hard Part” begins tonight. Act Two “Landslide” on the 7 th and the big third act “How to Stop an Exploding man” happens the following week.
Pffffff. Nevermind... :schierke:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Sylar and his mom... man, those scenes was painful. I think this episode had some of the worst acting in the series yet.

Yeah, I liked some parts of it, I thought his coming back to mommy and the whole psychotic mom part was alright if only too easy an excuse for Sylar's mental issues. On the other hand it got ugly in parts too. Plus she obviously HAD to die in some ridiculous "the trigger pulled itself during the struggle" way, only with a pair of scissors. :schierke:

Walter said:
I hope Molly's blood curdles ("I'm 9-years old, and really am far too old to believe in this bullshit, but HERE'S A STAR FOR LUCK").

Yeah I'm not a big fan of her character either. Hopefully she doesn't stick around for too long.

Walter said:
All the Hiro and Sylar bits really kept me worried all episode...

I was on the edge of my seat. :p Nice to see Peter is wondering if Ted might not be the bomb after all. And Sylar's fear of exploding is also cool, I liked the idea. Now interestingly enough, I didn't see coming the fact that Nathan's mom is part of the bad guys. I thought she had her own agenda, but turns out she's been manipulating her own progeniture all along. I really hope Peter can save Nathan from this bullshit. The way Peter and Ted met was a pretty unimaginative and illogical I thought, how come Peter threw himself right in there when he could have attempted not to come in contact with Ted to prevent the possibility of exploding himself? Seems really stupid.

Lastly, I really digged DL and Jessica going after their kid. It's like the reward for all that drama bullshit, now I expect them (especially Niki) to do some massive damage. Of course it's unlikely to happen, blah. We're in dire need of some super strength fan service.

Walter said:
Word on the street is the finale will be THREE HOURS LONG :isidro:Pffffff. Nevermind... :schierke:

You had me believe it for a second, damn you. One hour segments my ass, commercials don't count as episode time in my book.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Spoilers Ahead... I can't get the bloody tags to work...
Yea the acting in some of those scenes was a bit off. And how lame was the "scissors" bit... :schierke: ugh.

It was interesting to see some depth given to Sylar, tho (however by the end it was as if he lost it again... I kind of liked the conflict he had going there).

Also it was cool to see Hot-miniskirt-whatsherface girl's powers being expanded. I knew I wasn't too far off when I thought she could bend the light around her. Looks like she isn't just a chameleon.

Other than that it was an ok episode. Set things up for the rest of the finale.

I liked the bits about DL and Nikki too. At the very least it made them more interesting...

Aazealh said:
You had me believe it for a second, damn you. One hour segments my ass, commercials don't count as episode time in my book.

Well, its more catchy than 3 44 minute segments... and they _do_ want you to watch the whole hour... hehe.

...Spoilers over

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Spoilers Ahead... I can't get the bloody tags to work...

It's magic! :isidro:

CnC said:
It was interesting to see some depth given to Sylar, tho (however by the end it was as if he lost it again... I kind of liked the conflict he had going there).

Yeah, looks like they wanted it to be a one-episode-only side story, which is regrettable. It would have been better to expand it slowly over time I think. That is, if they're not planning to kill Sylar off in the final episode in some contrived way.

CnC said:
Also it was cool to see Hot-miniskirt-whatsherface girl's powers being expanded. I knew I wasn't too far off when I thought she could bend the light around her. Looks like she isn't just a chameleon.

Yeah I liked that too. About the bending light thingie I think the special effects made it relatively clear, but the fact it's not just around her body but also wider areas is neat. It doesn't really make sense that she can create alternate dimensions where all doors lead to the same room though, illusions are just that, but whatever.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Captain Napalm said:
Hiro's dad is a pimp. :serpico:

Agreed, I enjoyed the short sword training sequences. Good episode tonight, looking forward to the finale. Then I could catch up on the 10 episodes in between that I missed. :schierke:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Not much of a cliffhanger for the big season finale coming up next week, but oh well.

Worst line of the series? "Your destiny is to give me my son back!" - DL

Anyway, complicated? Not really. Nothing too major happened this ep, but it was still good to see Hiro develop as a character, his father turn out to be really cool, and to find out that Candace is a fatty. I really hoped Parkman would get shot by ugly 70s guy, I was even cheering him on for the few seconds he had the gun to Parkman's head. Too bad. :judo: \

It's setup so that Sylar is the bomb, but I dunno, I think it'll still be Peter as the threat in the end. I honestly think Sylar is disposable as far as the next season is concerned, but we'll see next week I suppose.

Just watched it. That shit is getting complicated :p

Found a smiley of peter in smiley form blowing up XD

blowup.gif

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently next season there will be a new spinoff series of sorts aired during the downtime in the regular season (I'm assuming the winter months) -- Heroes: Origins.

Source: http://www.zap2it.com/tv/news/zap-nbcupfronts-heroesorigins,0,5536579.story
"We've got something I call the 'bulk-up challenge' for next year, which is trying to stay more consistent in our scheduling for the audience," NBC chief Kevin Reilly told reporters Monday at a press conference announcing the network's 2007-08 schedule. "We asked ['Heroes' creator] Tim Kring to come up with an idea, and what I love is not only did we bulk up with 30 hours next season, but also a whole new idea which I think is going to take the show to the next level."

The "Origins" series will consist of six stand-alone episodes, with each one introducing a new character and telling his or her back story. They'll take place within the "Heroes" universe but won't be tied into the main arc of the series, although one or two regular characters may pop up.
The article goes on to say after all six episodes air, viewers can vote on which of the six stays on for the next season. American Heroes? Kinda cheesy concept but... I kind of understand it from a network perspective. Trying to appeal to the screaming masses and all...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Agreed, I enjoyed the short sword training sequences. Good episode tonight, looking forward to the finale.

Actually I didn't think that episode was all that good. There was a lot of cheesy stuff in it. My favorite part would be the shot of the 4 people (Bennet, Parkman, Niki and DL) in the elevator, classic. Hiro's sword training was alright I guess, but from going a clumsy nerd to a master swordsman in 2 hours is a complete joke no matter how you look at it. Hiro's father turning out to be a nice guy was neat though I guess. Can't say I wasn't disappointed with Ted's end, although he was a loser I think he deserved better than that. The average Joe till the very end I guess. DL getting shot (likely dying) and Niki's apparent healing out of Jessica was a little lame as well I think, but I'm glad Linderman's gone, that fist to the brain move was cool. Thompson too, not that I didn't like him but it was about time for him to go. Also Ando is being an idiot but a convenient plot device as well. As for the little girl, I don't think Bennet will have the heart to kill her, but I wonder how it'll all turn out with her. I'm also wondering who'll be leading the bad guys now that Linderman's dead, the Petrelli mother? In any case, I'm also waiting for the finale now and hoping it'll be worth it.

Walter said:
Worst line of the series? "Your destiny is to give me my son back!" - DL

Yeah, that was a really witty comeback there. :schierke:

Walter said:
find out that Candace is a fatty.

Haha yeah, seriously, I can't wait to see her horribly ugly real self. This reminds me of some old X-Men stuff about a guy shapeshifting that turned out to be an ugly bum in rags and not the super pretty and classy guy he paraded as all long.

Walter said:
It's setup so that Sylar is the bomb, but I dunno, I think it'll still be Peter as the threat in the end. I honestly think Sylar is disposable as far as the next season is concerned, but we'll see next week I suppose.

I think both will be a threat in turn, and yeah, I'm wondering if Sylar won't die next week. His character's been fully explored now and he's clearly intent on destroying the city so the set up really seems favorable.

Walter said:
Apparently next season there will be a new spinoff series of sorts aired during the downtime in the regular season (I'm assuming the winter months) -- Heroes: Origins. [...] The article goes on to say after all six episodes air, viewers can vote on which of the six stays on for the next season. American Heroes? Kinda cheesy concept but... I kind of understand it from a network perspective. Trying to appeal to the screaming masses and all...

Well, that could be nice, working as filler. I can live with the voting thing, as long as the guy I prefer gets elected. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
yea this spoiler thing isn't working at _all_ for me...
Judo said:
same here...
Should work now. There's a new system in place more similar to what we used to have. There's a button for them now, too.

Anyway, about something Aaz said:
Aazealh said:
Actually I didn't think that episode was all that good. ... Hiro's sword training was alright I guess, but from going a clumsy nerd to a master swordsman in 2 hours is a complete joke no matter how you look at it.
That would indeed be ridiculous, but I think what was accomplished with that scene wasn't sword skills, but just that he now has the courage not to hesitate, and will lay his life on the line, when it comes down to he and Sylar facing off. It's not like he'll be using those worthless twirling moves or anything, as flashy as they were.

Walter said:
Anyway, about something Aaz said: That would indeed be ridiculous, but I think what was accomplished with that scene wasn't sword skills, but just that he now has the courage not to hesitate, and will lay his life on the line, when it comes down to he and Sylar facing off. It's not like he'll be using those worthless twirling moves or anything, as flashy as they were.

Indeed. I think it was more a mental exercise than a physical one. Y'know, getting him in the mindset to "do his job" so he wont hesitate or something.

A little off topic but I love the new spoiler tags, Walter. You're #1 in my book. :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Hiro's sword training was alright I guess, but from going a clumsy nerd to a master swordsman in 2 hours is a complete joke no matter how you look at it. Hiro's father turning out to be a nice guy was neat though I guess.

I agree with Walter on this one. Also I don't either of them was all that good, the point of the lesson was to develop intent.

Aazealh said:
Can't say I wasn't disappointed with Ted's end, although he was a loser I think he deserved better than that. The average Joe till the very end I guess. DL getting shot (likely dying) and Niki's apparent healing out of Jessica was a little lame as well I think, but I'm glad Linderman's gone, that fist to the brain move was cool.

I was fine with how Ted died, he wasn't really bringing much else to the series as a character except the ability to explode. And the DL Death was kinda lame, ya. He's been phasing Nikki/Jessica throughout the building but can't grab her in time to do it again and so instead takes a bullet?

Aazealh said:
As for the little girl, I don't think Bennet will have the heart to kill her, but I wonder how it'll all turn out with her. I'm also wondering who'll be leading the bad guys now that Linderman's dead, the Petrelli mother? In any case, I'm also waiting for the finale now and hoping it'll be worth it.

I think Nathans shaping up to be a nice villian. Not as 2-dimensionally evil as Sylar but a person with good inentions doing evil things (a better villian motivation, imo). The Bennet/Seresh standoff was somewhat humerous when they but back to it after the longest time and nothing had changed (not that I was expecting it to but it was odd to see).

yay! spoilers!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I think what was accomplished with that scene wasn't sword skills, but just that he now has the courage not to hesitate, and will lay his life on the line, when it comes down to he and Sylar facing off. It's not like he'll be using those worthless twirling moves or anything, as flashy as they were.

The mental improvement is obviously a big part of the scene, but I wouldn't be so sure about the physical part not having supposedly greatly improved as well, including the super twirling moves. I really think they were trying to make the father a badass, what with "knowing things about killing" and all. Actually now I'm wondering if future Hiro wasn't actually doing those same moves. Anyway, Hiro went from worthless to swordfighter beating his apparently very experienced father at it in less than half a day. I still think it's goofy.

CnC said:
I think Nathans shaping up to be a nice villian. Not as 2-dimensionally evil as Sylar but a person with good inentions doing evil things (a better villian motivation, imo). The Bennet/Seresh standoff was somewhat humerous when they but back to it after the longest time and nothing had changed (not that I was expecting it to but it was odd to see).

I'm not sure about Nathan, he seems constantly on the fence so it's hard to guess what they'll decide to do about him. I really like his character though, so I guess I'll go with whatever they do as long as it's cool. Anyway, I just had a sudden inspiration about Peter's scar in the alternate future, following the "Hiro gave it to him" idea: it could be to prevent him from exploding, as a desperate last resort. Just a random idea like that, not very likely. And yeah I agree about Bennet and Suresh, I also wondered if they had kept that position for half an hour without moving. :void:

CnC

Ad Oculos
I have a feeling they're going to avoid the entire scar thing to avoid having to do make-up on Peter for the remainder of his stay on the series.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
I have a feeling they're going to avoid the entire scar thing to avoid having to do make-up on Peter for the remainder of his stay on the series.

Yeah, same here actually, that'd go along with the whole "preventing the explosion" thing that I believe will happen, effectively saving the world (if only temporarily). Still, I'd like to know how Peter got it. Maybe I should read this week's comics, might be revealed in there. :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Yeah, same here actually, that'd go along with the whole "preventing the explosion" thing that I believe will happen, effectively saving the world (if only temporarily).

And would have the added bonus of not having to do as much post-production work with matte-paintings of a destroyed city. Its a win win!

Anyways I'm going with my theory of the explosion being prevented, but instead making way for another horrible fate.

Aazealh said:
Still, I'd like to know how Peter got it. Maybe I should read this week's comics, might be revealed in there. :guts:

NERD!

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
In regards to the end of Season One:

Anyone else think the "Iron Giant" ending was a just little predictable? Hell, my wife and I had discussed this at length about 4 weeks ago...still, I'm glad things came to a somewhat tidy ending -- with the exception of Sylars body being dragged into the sewers. That was lame. They were all there, none had moved from that spot, yet nobody noticed that he wasn't there?

All in all, good stuff! The start of volume two or whatever they're calling it left me curious and slightly confused, but the potential simply rocks!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
In regards to the end of Season One:

Anyone else think the "Iron Giant" ending was a just little predictable? Hell, my wife and I had discussed this at length about 4 weeks ago...still, I'm glad things came to a somewhat tidy ending -- with the exception of Sylars body being dragged into the sewers. That was lame. They were all there, none had moved from that spot, yet nobody noticed that he wasn't there?

All in all, good stuff! The start of volume two or whatever they're calling it left me curious and slightly confused, but the potential simply rocks!
Yeah.

I think we all have considered this possibility too - Nathan helping Peter explode in the air. Really, I would have been surprised to have been surprised by this episode :guts:

Of course, since it's a season-ender, people HAD TO DIE. Glad Parkman's gone. This episode really solidified the fact that he's worthless, ("Parkman, you don't stand a chance against Sylar!" *Parkman cocks gun* "We'll see!" ... 10 minutes later, *BLAM*). But did Nathan really have to go? I mean, what was the point in all the buildup with him going to win the election and all, with Micah rigging the machines... all to have him go Sony X-Plod on us? I felt there was a lot more he could offer us than, oh, say, DL and Nikki/Jessica. Their stories had come to a close as far as I'm concerned.

And yeah, Sylar "died," but will return as a mutant freak from the sewers. Did anyone catch the flash of images we get in his eye before he "dies?" Anyway, my first reaction upon seeing Sylar's blood trail leading to the sewers was that he dragged himself there, but yeah, I suppose it could have been a new character, possibly THE STONE MONSTER, ULURU ( http://www.9thwonders.com/gallery/uluru.jpg ). This little guy made a little cameo again in one of the paintings in Isaac's apartment and MAY HAVE BEEN the one mentioned by Molly, when Bennet asked about the extent of her power. Farfetched, I know, but I could see some bullshit like this happening further down the line =).

I didn't think the ending was confusing. It's just a new chapter in the series, with one aspect of it being Hiro was transported back to Kensei's era. Not particularly excited about potentially reliving Teenage Mutant Samurai Hiros III personally, but I'm sure it'll be ok. I'm more interested in what other characters are introduced, rather, how they'll approach recurring characters this coming season.

Who knew that black dude (played by SHAFT's actor, btw, Richard Roundtree) would be one of the old Heroes group? AND have had the power of ... insight? all along. I suppose Peter had unsuspectedly drawn the power out of him back when he was a nurse for him, and used it in during his passing out. Kinda... bullshit way to achieve exposition on his mom's position, but I'll bite, if only because it's SHAFT. Speaking of which, another thing I didn't appreciate was the lack of any logical wrap up of the grandmother/Linderman's plan to blow up the city. They were the true opposition in this season, and yet we didn't get one reaction from the mother on her sons betraying the plan. One simple scene showing her reaction would have sufficed, since I believe it will clearly have implications later down the line.

[/unceremonious end to my long post]

Top Bottom