Episode 198

puella

Berserk forever

a47.jpg

Poopsie shows off some of that awesome witchcraft! Impressive, no?
Meanwhile, Isidro assumes the position. ;)

a49.jpg

Though only her second appearance in the series, Poopsie already has major "star power!"
HAR! HAR! HAR! :D

...oh God.

a50.jpg

Don't look into those eyes Isidro, she’s magically babe-licious!​

http://digilander.iol.it/berserkworld/spoiler/Cap_198.htm

Geez, I assumed that Isidro would come on to the witch long ago, or that they'd "hook up" as they say. But Miura already has Kid-Ro grabbing her breasts, during their first encounter no less. We all know which land of paradise Miura has on his mind. :)

-Griffith
WoW~ you don't know how happy I am with such a charismatic female character, Schierke!
I'm fed up with most of female characters' worn-out roles: screaming like hell, sobbing like a crying baby, stripping off and being attacked.
At least it doesn't seem to me that Schierke will join those FOUR types! 8)

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
WoW~ you don't know how happy I am with such a charismatic female character, Schierke!
I'm fed up with most of female characters' worn-out roles: screaming like hell, sobbing like a crying baby, stripping off and being attacked.

"She'd consume the Apostles with fireballs from her eyes...and bolts of lightning from her arse" :D

one of my favorites movie quotes....modified the text and ofcourse needs to be spoken with a scottish accent :p :p :p

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Hmmmm…

Don’t you think it’s odd that Miura’s powerful female character is completely entwined with out there concepts of make-believe such as “hocus pocus”? It’s as if Miura sees her as some kind of leprechaun, if you know what I mean; his strong woman can only exist in fairy tales and has no application in the real world. She might as well be raising unruly tykes in a giant boot or taking treats to her sick grandmother through a spooky forest (ahem). He’s basically saying you should fear meeting a strong women like you should fear meeting the Boogieman or the monster under your bed. Not to mention her powers look ridiculous and cartoonish, further emphasizing the notion that a confident woman with authority over men is akin to a talking dog (Scooby Doo for example). Even her name, Shirieke, is very reminiscent of the word shriek; a shrill, often frantic cry. So how long do you think it will be before she falls helpless to horny monsters and must face the humiliation of needing rescue by a big strong man? Frankly, I’m beginning to suspect her only true relevance in the story is to play Casca to Isidro’s Guts.

Yep, a mixed message of female strength and superiority at best, I’d say. ;D

-Griffith

fletch

Treading trodden trails for a long, long time.
Don’t you think it’s odd that Miura’s powerful female character is completely entwined with out there concepts of make-believe such as “hocus pocus”? It’s as if Miura sees her as some kind of leprechaun, if you know what I mean; his strong woman can only exist in fairy tales and has no application in the real world. She might as well be raising unruly tykes in a giant boot or taking treats to her sick grandmother through a spooky forest (ahem).  He’s basically saying you should fear meeting a strong women like you should fear meeting the Boogieman or the monster under your bed. Not to mention her powers look ridiculous and cartoonish, further emphasizing the notion that a confident woman with authority over men is akin to a talking dog (Scooby Doo for example). Even her name, Shirieke, is very reminiscent of the word shriek; a shrill, often frantic cry.  So how long do you think it will be before she falls helpless to horny monsters and must face the humiliation of needing rescue by a big strong man?  Frankly, I’m beginning to suspect her only true relevance in the story is to play Casca to Isidro’s Guts.

Yep, a mixed message of female strength and superiority at best, I’d say.

i've been laughing now for about 5 minutes.
p.s.- i thoroughly agree with the mixed messages of female strength in berserk. on the one hand, you have a member of the godhand, the most influential supernatural entities in berserk other than Idea, & the occasional casca type who're enormously powerful, but on the other, the only consistently powerful ones (slann, roshinu, etc.) are all fantasy characters. extremely good point, & quite perceptive.
as for the demon rape speculation, i've got 5 dollars on the beast of shadows raping farnese & schierke within 10 chapters
p.p.s. on second thought, though, there's always griffith (not the bbs poster, but the reborn godhand one), & she's always been quite a strong female character...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
p.p.s. on second thought, though, there's always griffith (not the bbs poster, but the reborn godhand one), & she's always been quite a strong female character...
04a.jpg

04b.jpg

04c.jpg

Please, this is really old territory...

Vermillion

:eek: :eek: :eek: Whoa :eek: :eek: :eek:

I never saw that one! okay okay....he does not appear to be a gal, but remember Miura 'can' change all that.....hehe

CnC

Ad Oculos
while i agree the introduction of a young girl witch is cartoonish, egads man... don't use Scooby Doo as an example! thats just wrong!

...annoying talking dog...

while i agree the introduction of a young girl witch is cartoonish, egads man... don't use Scooby Doo as an example! thats just wrong!

...annoying talking dog...

HEEHEEHEEHEE

SCOOBY DOOBY DOOOOOOO!!!!!

Frogacuda

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

You know, Berserk doesn't really have alot of role models period. I never thought of it as sexist, it just tends to show the darker side of humanity. In the same way that the women are often weak and helpless, the men are portrayed as horny violent drunkards. Even Guts has his dark side. Berserk's not about showing the brighter side of things. It really revolves around having man as a fundamentally wicked race.

And at least it portrays rape as a great and serious crime which is deeply traumatic to the victims. Alot of manga (and almost all hentai) tends to promote the idea that women actually enjoy being raped; that they get off on it, but just won't admit it. Berserk at least takes it seriously, it's just a really dark series.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great post, and I agree with most of it. But while I was reading it, something about it just didnt sit right with me.
You know, Berserk doesn't really have alot of role models period. I never thought of it as sexist, it just tends to show the darker side of humanity. In the same way that the women are often weak and helpless, the men are portrayed as horny violent drunkards. Even Gatts has his dark side. Berserk's not about showing the brighter side of things. It really revolves around having man as a fundamentally wicked race
We all acknowledge that Berserk is a "dark" series. This much is fairly obvious, but what I think Frogacuda fails to point out is that Berserk is about the struggle against the dark nature of humanity. Its not enough for Berserk simply to portray the "shittyness" of the world.

And in the role model department, Guts' struggle to remain true to both his woman and his own form of justice is one role model for me. Another one, and a serious impact on my own personal life is Griffith's character. Not that I intend to sacrifice my friends, but Griffith represents the ultimate form of one who lets no distractions enter his view. He is the product of his chosen lifestyle, where he is forced to succeed in anything, above everything. If nothing at all, Griffith's character lets us see the folly of such a choice.

There, thats all I wanted to put in. Otherwise, really good assertion.

Frogacuda

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Agreed. That's why I said "even Gatts has is dark side." Gatts is something of a role model but he is far from perfect. I singled him out there because he is the possible exception, but felt inclined to mention that he is not free from major flaws either.

As for Griffith, I think Berserk actually tries to make a sort of Taoist statement in it's villainization of Griffith. While he is a sympathetic character, I think Miura is trying to speak against his kind of ambition (something that Gatts shares, and is a major part of his afformentioned dark side).

fletch

Please, this is really old territory...
sorry, i know, bad joke. couldn't resist the pun. i'm a very punny, if not terribly funny, guy.
We all acknowledge that Berserk is a "dark" series. This much is fairly obvious, but what I think Frogacuda fails to point out is that Berserk is about the struggle against the dark nature of humanity. Its not enough for Berserk simply to portray the "shittyness" of the world.
actually, i don't know if calling berserk "dark" is strictly accurate. i'd say the dark backdrop of the berserk universe is used primarily to highlight some basic good qualities by contrast.

wunwong

NOw...To gEt mY hANds uNstUcK.....
Hmmmm…

Don’t you think it’s odd that Miura’s powerful female character is completely entwined with out there concepts of make-believe such as “hocus pocus”? It’s as if Miura sees her as some kind of leprechaun, if you know what I mean; his strong woman can only exist in fairy tales and has no application in the real world. She might as well be raising unruly tykes in a giant boot or taking treats to her sick grandmother through a spooky forest (ahem).  He’s basically saying you should fear meeting a strong women like you should fear meeting the Boogieman or the monster under your bed. Not to mention her powers look ridiculous and cartoonish, further emphasizing the notion that a confident woman with authority over men is akin to a talking dog (Scooby Doo for example). Even her name, Shirieke, is very reminiscent of the word shriek; a shrill, often frantic cry.  So how long do you think it will be before she falls helpless to horny monsters and must face the humiliation of needing rescue by a big strong man?  Frankly, I’m beginning to suspect her only true relevance in the story is to play Casca to Isidro’s Guts.

Yep, a mixed message of female strength and superiority at best, I’d say. ;D

-Griffith

hehe, i think she's gonna be like Guts, while Isidoro plays Casca!! ;D

Lliugusamui

around the corner
unless she uses magick all day long, i dont see that going to happen; i'd rather think of a complementary bahaviours without levels
ooh ( have a thought rihgt now ) : what if guts is controlled by beast desire to rape the little b... uhh ... witch ?^^

eintrigga

Today's Yamaba?
hehe, i think she's gonna be like Guts, while Isidoro plays Casca!!   ;D

and guts is going to be the new griffith, farneeze is the new caska, and serpico is the old guts. oh i can see it now: guts sacrificing his new friends and companions
;D

M

Marcus

and guts is going to be the new griffith, farneeze is the new caska, and serpico is the old guts. oh i can see it now: guts sacrificing his new friends and companions
;D

For what? ::)

Hail to the witch indeed, puella.
Many thanks!

Kinda nice to see Schierke in action finally, but overall it didn't seem much else was accomplished. She can of course tell there's something 'up' with Guts and Casca.
Hopefully it was just a taste of what she can do.

I may actually have some time to translate this today, but don't get your hopes up ;D

Thank you again, puella!

Vermillion

Many thanks!!

It was cool to see her bust open a magical can of whoopass!

p.s. hey Puells, its okey dokey.....I think :D

fletch

thanks puella, i have a new respect for witch girl now. at least she's brave, even if some of her powers are a tad goofy. plus, she did have a couple of nice looking powers, like the "straw attack" that sent all the trolls running.
cool chapter. hope miura keeps this whole "advancing of the main story arc" thing going. the only problem i have of late is all these "random encounter" type battles that have nothing to do with anything. sure, it's nice to see that the other characters are advancing in skills, and its good to see what everybody can do, but sheesh! i want more plot-oriented battles rather than random zombies, skeletons, lesser demons, ghosts, ghouls, snowman beasts, cactuars, lemmings of doom, etc.! ah well, at least they're almost to elfville, where, presumably, something of greater importance will happen. i hope.

Vermillion

hope miura keeps this whole "advancing of the main story arc" thing going. the only problem i have of late is all these "random encounter" type battles that have nothing to do with anything. sure, it's nice to see that the other characters are advancing in skills, and its good to see what everybody can do, but sheesh! i want more plot-oriented battles rather than random zombies, skeletons, lesser demons, ghosts, ghouls, snowman beasts, cactuars, lemmings of doom, etc.

Yup I sorta feel the same way. I feel like saying..."Lets get on with it already!!" Oh hey, I did just say it ;)

The whole randon fights are ok and they develop character for our heroes! There is one volume that didnt make sense to me. The whole Roshinu sequence, what the hell did that have to do with the story anyhow?  

Top Bottom