Winter Storm '06

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Power finally came back on at my place at 1:00 PM PST yesterday afternoon after going out around 9:00 PM PST Thursday night.  Not a fun weekend, let me tell you.  I'm thankful, however, that I currently have power, as thousands more in Washington State are without.  There hasn't been a storm this bad in over a decade here.  We had hurricane-force gusts (80-100 mph) during the storm.  That and the cable didn't go out early enough in the Seahawks' game, forcing me to witness a horrible loss minutes before losing power and heat.  Yay. :puck:

On a lighter note, I did get quite a bit of reading done. :serpico:

Totally know where you're coming from! Let's just say that going without electricity for days-on-end isn't fun even in the summer, and during the winter... I just hope you had your heating on and that things go back to normal ASAP.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Damn, that sucks man. I hope everything will be fine and return to normal as fast as possible.

Thanks, all I'm missing right now is my cable and internet, but I can access my e-mail and the forums from work. I'm just glad I have heat now. I almost never get cold, even in low temperatures, but I was freezing my ass off this weekend. The second the power came back on yesterday afternoon I cranked the heat up to a nice, comfortable 85 degrees Fahrenheit.

vlad said:
Totally know where you're coming from! Let's just say that going without electricity for days-on-end isn't fun even in the summer, and during the winter... I just hope you had your heating on and that things go back to normal ASAP.

Yeah, it wasn't very fun, but a lot of less fortunate people still don't have power. They said it might be nearly a week before everyone's power is back on. I'm just glad they got the hospitals and the other high-priority people up and running as fast as they did. We're just not used to this bad of weather out here. Sure, it rains a lot, but it's not The Evergreen State for nothing. :guts:

Usually, in this time of year, we have a couple feets of snow where I live (In Canada, Quebec, Sherbrooke.. just across Vermont's boarder)... and this year.. we are still seeing grass and the ski resorts have difficulties to make artificial snow because it's too warm.

Mother Nature is all messed up because she sniffed too much greenhouse gaz (is it the proper term ?).

S

smoke

Winter has been weird and snowless for us in Wisconsin. It's either painfully cold and dry or like 40 degrees and rainy. It's uber fucked up.

You should... in Europe, they also have trouble with the snow.. and the eternal snow are melting.. global warming is a true fact.. not a myth.. and I think it's getting faster and faster.. exponentially.. We went from a shitload of snow to nothing in only a couple of years.. I'm 24, and I remember when I was young.. there was snow over the windows ! Now nothing.. we just had half an inch this morning..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Shurikn said:
You should... in Europe, they also have trouble with the snow..

If by that you mean that we haven't seen real snow for over 10 years then yes, we sure have trouble with it. Autumn, winter and spring are the same season, with the same weather: cloudy with occasional rain. And summer lasts a month and a half.

Talking about the European weather, three days ago it was 15 C (I'm guessing around 50 F) and today it's snowing and it's 0 C (around 32 F). Still it's the first snow of the season so I'm giggling like a kid all day! :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like everywhere else in the world is leeching our cold weather. It's been ~70F here for the past few days... in MID-DECEMBER. I bought a new winter coat for no reason... :puck:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Looks like everywhere else in the world is leeching our cold weather. It's been ~70F here for the past few days... in MID-DECEMBER. I bought a new winter coat for no reason... :puck:

yup. short sleeve weather here as well.

I can feel your pain on this, last year in Ohio, there was a huge ice storm and we had no power for about three days. Luckily the power came back on on Christmas Eve, so christmas wasnt completely a failure. People were practically killing each other to try and get emergency generators, it was pretty insane.

SpectralSorrows said:
First snow of the season!!!
I tell ya, this damn brisk wind sucks hard. :puck:

I say to myself "Sounds familiar..." I click your profile and sure enough, a fellow Pennsylvanian! Yeah, it's pretty crappy outside.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
We were supposed to get anywhere from a trace to 6 inches of snow last night, along with 60-65 mph gusts, here in the Seattle area, but I didn't get any on my end of Lake Washington. Apparently, there were around 10,000 people without power for a short period of time, though, so I got lucky. :guts: 10,000 is waaaaay better than the near 1 million that were without power (some for up to 2 weeks) during the last storm.

Top Bottom