Optimus Keyboard

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Art Lebedev Studio, a small Russian company, is working on a new OLED keyboard concept that's becoming quite popular in anticipation (since its introduction in July).

http://www.artlebedev.com/portfolio/optimus/

Basically it'll use OLEDs to display anything on the keys. "Every key of the Optimus keyboard is a stand-alone display showing exactly what it is controlling at this very moment."

keyb_002.jpg

It's quite promising from the looks of it and although I've been using the same Logitech keyboard for the past 10 years I think I'd change for this as soon as I'd get the opportunity. They advertise that "Optimus is good for any layouts—Cyrillic, Ancient Greek, Georgian, Arabic—and so on to infinity: notes, numerals, special symbols, HTML codes, mathematical functions."

Release date is planned in 2006, it should be manufactured either in Korea or China, and the estimated "optimistic" price would vary between $200 and $300. No official price has been set though, on the site they just state that "it will cost less than a good mobile phone". Whatever that means. It will also be an open-source keyboard, with a SDK available, and OS-independent. The company states that "keys could be animated when needed", and that it'll be available worldwide. "Ergonomic" versions should also be released later on.

It'll most likely use USB 2.0 or FireWire, no BlueTooth. An external alimentation device will be needed. Here's an example of customization:

qua.jpg

That's Quake 3 Arena, but they also have an example of Photoshop layout on their site. While not vital or anything, I think it's pretty cool.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I want. I just hope it "clicks" right when the keys are pressed. I'm pretty dorky and anal about how my keyboard "clicks." This looks cool though. I love the design.

I'm sure Logitech and Microsoft will steal the technology and make shittier versions of it though :puck:

Vetrox

Bring it you mumin!
Yeah it's pretty cool, however, doesn't most people type without looking at their keyboard? :???:
Would still be cool to have a animated screensaver run across the keyboard.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
As some of you may or may not have heard. There was a little hype about this keyboard. It's pretty much a keyboard where it's keys are comprised of tiny LCD screens which can change depending on which program you plan using. For example, if you are a Photoshop user, when you start up the program the keyboard will see you doing this and change its keys to hot keys and other things that you have programed into it for usage.

While checking up on this the website says to except this product to come out LATE 2006. Well folks, Christmas is right around the corner and I want my god damn LCD keyboard for my WoW/Heroine addiction!

Has anyone else heard anything about this? Link provided below!

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

EDIT: Wiki says that its supposed to come out May 2007 and cost around $1,200 bucks! Time to save up that money! :carcus:

EDIT2: Here is a link to its "Blog" http://community.livejournal.com/optimus_project/

Anyways though, I think this is a great idea and hopefully it will get cheaper for production once it gets rolling. At $1,200 only a few people will have this but like any other thing, it should get easier to reproduce thus more accessible later on. Here's to hoping that it does!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I remember drooling over this nerdy thing a while back. $1,200 though? Sheesh... Well, it's worth it :beast:

PS: Moved the topic...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I merged the thread with mine, hope you don't mind. :SK: Anyway I still love that concept, but I'll never fork $1200 for a gimmick (especially since my $60 Logitech keyboard is still working fine after 10 years of use). I'll consider it when it's $120.

While we're on the topic, their mini-three thingie is neat too, and more affordable ($160). But that one is really just a gimmick.

Well, just to inform you people, this is never gonna be released.
They are talking about this thing for about 2 years now and everytime they say it's gonna be released, it isn't (unfortunatly).

It's like Duke Nukem: Forever (which takes forever).

I was really optimistic about this some time ago but they keep postponing it so I gave up hope.

The 3-button version is waaaaay to expensive to have any use at all (for that price I'd rather buy a Logitech G15, which I did :p which ownes :p).

Anyway, I really hope this will come out someday but now, after hearing the 2006 release is canceled to be in 2007, I won't hope on it too much.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
chaoscontrol said:
Well, just to inform you people, this is never gonna be released. [...] Anyway, I really hope this will come out someday but now, after hearing the 2006 release is canceled to be in 2007, I won't hope on it too much.

Non-educated guesses you're pulling out of your ass aren't very informative, just so you know. Considering the size of the company producing this keyboard it's really no wonder that the release gets delayed, and moving from a vague "2006" to "late 2006" to "May 2007" is nothing to be surprised about, nor is it a reason to claim the product will never be released. Especially when you know that they've been releasing smaller stuff to compensate in the meantime so that the wait wouldn't be too bad. It shows they can do it.

Does a three-button version mean they can do it to you?
I don't know if you ever looked at an OLED keyboard from the inside but the 3 button version looks complicated enough as it is. (I do know what I'm talking about believe it or not.)
It only has 3 buttons but the casing is as full as it can get.

And considering the size of the company I think they just gotten in way over their head. This will never be released in the near future by this company, maybe if they sell the patent to Logitech or something it'll eventually be released.

Just go look it up, the first announcement was in 2001 I believe (I will back this up with a source as soon as I find one, just so you know I don't pull this out of my ass).

My point is, this company is too small to ever get this done on it's own (It's a 1 man company ffs).

I do hope this WILL get released though but it's just that I don't see it happen really fast especially because I've been waiting for this for ages like everyone else probably.

[EDIT]:
They even announced the keyboard will probably be only in monochrome LCD (instead of OLED) keys because of power, size and cost issues.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
chaoscontrol said:
Does a three-button version mean they can do it to you?

Yeah, it sure is a good indication to me.

chaoscontrol said:
And considering the size of the company I think they just gotten in way over their head. This will never be released in the near future by this company

Alright, so since you're so sure, I'll take your word for it. It'll never be released by this company, I believe you. If they do release it though, I'll delete your account to show you that certainty isn't something to be taken lightly. Works for you? :guts:

chaoscontrol said:
They even announced the keyboard will probably be only in monochrome LCD (instead of OLED) keys because of power, size and cost issues.

No, they just considered making a version using monochromatic technology that would have been cheaper than the OLED keyboard.

Is this an informing thread or do we just have to bow towards you and eat everything you say just because you think you are right?

I just state what I know, and you go like "I'll delete your account because you say something else then me and I R admin so dont spiek to me that way!!"

Kinda childish, I hope it gets released soon enough to satisfy your needs, I just wanted to help by informing you of what I know, but now I know that isn't appreciated I wont anymore :)

Alright, so since you're so sure, I'll take your word for it. It'll never be released by this company, I believe you. If they do release it though, I'll delete your account to show you that certainty isn't something to be taken lightly. Works for you?

I don't really get this sentance except for the "deleting your accountzz0r lollol", this might be me misinterpeting you or just my bad English but I do hope I didn't do anythign to upset you in any way.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
chaoscontrol said:
I just state what I know

Well, you're saying you know for sure that keyboard will never be released. Since you know it there's no problem, right? What does this have to do with what I think?

chaoscontrol said:
Kinda childish, I hope it gets released soon enough to satisfy your needs, I just wanted to help by informing you of what I know, but now I know that isn't appreciated I wont anymore :)

I think you missed the point, and I'm not going to be buying this anytime soon so whether it's released or not isn't actually a concern at all to me. In the end, you're not informing people of something you know, you're just giving your opinion on something you don't know more about than anybody else.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
chaoscontrol said:
Where do I state this?

Uhh, in the posts you've just written?

[quote author=chaoscontrol]Well, just to inform you people, this is never gonna be released.[/quote]
[quote author=chaoscontrol]And considering the size of the company I think they just gotten in way over their head. This will never be released in the near future by this company[/quote]
[quote author=chaoscontrol]I just state what I know[/quote]
[quote author=chaoscontrol]I just wanted to help by informing you of what I know[/quote]

You're informing people that the keyboard will never be released. It's something you know and are clearly stating.

CnC

Ad Oculos
While this exchange is comical, I think its time you read their site chaoscontrol. Its the company's full intention to release this board, and release it in color. The practicality of such a keyboard is only discussed by _outside_ observers.
Why do all of these conversations go the same way?

Newguy:
I'm 100% positive about (insert opinion here)
Aaz:
(quote) - Actually thats wrong
Newguy:
Thats not wrong, I'm probably right!
Aaz:
(quote) (quote) It is wrong, you're completely wrong
Newguy:
I never said it was 100%, just extremely likely I'm right.
Aaz:
(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)This is what you said broken up and made wrong, sentence by sentence
Newguy:
Who the fuck are you, to tell me I'm wrong? You don't know! You always assume you know! You're so arrogant!
Aaz:
(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote) Again, this is why you're wrong, sentence by sentence.
Newguy:
You can't out-quote me, muthafucker! (quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)
Aaz:
(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)(quote)

...aaaand scene!

Back on topic:
As for me, investing over a grand in a keyboard is a terrible idea. I destroy keyboards, and spending as much on the keyboard as I would on the computer is unpractical. This is the geek equivalent to gold teeth.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Oh how this thread warms my heart with its flames. Its pretty damn cold over here! Anyways, if you check out their blog they are supposed to be finding a manufacture for this piece of hardware and yea, they are going to go with the monochrome because as Chaos_control did say, doing the color bit would be pretty darn tough seeing how you would have to fit the standard amount of keyboard keys on that puppy and they were saying that the wiring for that 3 button one does have an ass load of it.

Regardless I still want one! Although I think this keyboard will come out waaay before Duke Nukem: Forever since this one is bound by logistic barricades of finding someone to make it and what not while Duke Nukem is just being held back because of retarded programs and directors! BIG DIFFERENCE!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
they are going to go with the monochrome because as Chaos_control did say, doing the color bit would be pretty darn tough seeing how you would have to fit the standard amount of keyboard keys on that puppy and they were saying that the wiring for that 3 button one does have an ass load of it.

Did you read what was written on the blog you linked? They're doing it in color and only in color. The monochrome version they had planned was canned 2 weeks later because the majority of people didn't seem interested enough to buy one. Their biggest problem isn't wiring, it's to find small enough OLED displays to fit as keys. From what they're saying they'll need to have them custom made, which is why the keyboard will be so expensive.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
Did you read what was written on the blog you linked? They're doing it in color and only in color. The monochrome version they had planned was canned 2 weeks later because the majority of people didn't seem interested enough to buy one. Their biggest problem isn't wiring, it's to find small enough OLED displays to fit as keys. From what they're saying they'll need to have them custom made, which is why the keyboard will be so expensive.
EDIT: Disregard, here is the portion that Aaz is talking about.

Friday, December 8th, 2006
7:18 pm
[tema]

Optimus-103 Colorful News
We will not release black and white version next year. And there will be no pre-orders on December, 12.

Instead, we will concentrate on making a color Optimus-103 with OLEDs (the only color technology we seriously consider at the moment).

As soon as we'll know all the details from our suppliers, we'll begin taking pre-orders (about February 2007).

Although they say that they don't say right out that THEY WONT make the black and white but that it wont be released this following year of 2007.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
EDIT: Disregard, here is the portion that Aaz is talking about.

Good thing you edited before I quoted the whole blog. :guts:

And the lastest non-OM3 news is about the process of manufacturing the Optimus 103 OLED Keyboard. Anyway while you're right and he just says the monochrome version won't be released "next year," I don't think it'll be released at all. It just ended up being too pricy for what it would have been.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I was kinda freaked out because a few posts in the blog they were saying it was going to cost $10,000! What the Christ?!

Anyways, Pre-orders for the 103 Color version start in February! So who's with me on getting one?! :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I was kinda freaked out because a few posts in the blog they were saying it was going to cost $10,000! What the Christ?!

And without displays. The guy was just being an asshole because of all the negative feedback they got about the monochrome version. =)

Anyways, Pre-orders for the 103 Color version start in February! So who's with me on getting one?! :troll:

Count me out, I'll get one the day it retails at $200.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Optimus Mouse

Hasn't it been around for a really long time? They're calling it Mus2 and I've known about it since at least 2005. Anyway I'm going to merge this with the Optimus Keyboard thread, since it's the same company and all. I also don't think much of it personally, but this company targets a very specific niche of clients so I guess that doesn't really matter to them.

Top Bottom