Episode 195

It _may_ be BS (it's a bit too early to tell), but...

A short summary...

The specters around Griffith are the spirits of those who died during the battle. They're being sent in the Farplane. ;D
When Mule asks Griffith where all those spirits will end, Griffith answers that's something anybody will eventually discover by themselves... (BAD ENGLISH ALERT!)
Griffith congratulates Mule for the battle, Sonja hugs (? ^_^; ) Griffith, and they introduce themselves.
Mule feels "stronger" near Griffith and decides to pledge allegiance to him.

Meanwhile, some enemies (Kushan? Bakiraka?) try to assassinate Griffith with arrows from some distant hill... but Rakshas appears and kills them.

Back to Guts' side, as he's fighting against the specters, helped by Farnese, Serpico and Isidro...
To be continued...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Its just a little bit less than I expected, seeing that this is the first real opportunity to see inside Griff's head. And we also get probably about 2-3 more chapters of Guts and comp. battling random ghosts.

I officially believe that the DC Game has already happened.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Something about this summary seems strangely familiar, as if I’ve read it before…*thinks back*

I'll bet there's at least one more issue before Griffith say a single word... and right when he opens his mouth we'll cut back to Gatts and his party again...
There wasn’t another chapter, but this phenomenon is eerie nonetheless.

Well, I'm not disappointed myself, I didn’t expect the secrets of Berserk to be unlocked or anything, how much would Griffith say to a guy like Mule anyway (sure, Skull Knight could have showed up and it would have been the best chapter ever, but Miura decided not to do that =). Anyway, I like how Guts and Caska’s plot is progressing and am happy to go back to it.

Its just a little bitAnd we also get probably about 2-3 more chapters of Guts and comp. battling random ghosts.
Good, that’s like the most unpredictable and intense part of the story right now. And I'm sure this chapter is better than a short summary can do it justice (BTW, thank you Olivier).  All I expected to see is how Griffith interacted with people besides Guts and Caska, and it looks like I'll get my wish.

Not me, because I officially don’t even consider it part of the story (and I don't think Miura does either, lets be honest, Miura doesn't give a shit about the DC game at all, he doesn't have it in mind when he writes and I doubt he would care if he directly contradicted it's events in the manga). But, I think the only time it could have occured is between 187 and 188 myself. ;D

-Griffith

P.S. Jesus, how long until the word spreads that arrows just aren’t doing the trick against Griffith!!?

And I'm sure this chapter is better than a short summary can do it justice
I haven't even _read_ the thing yet, so yeah, it obviously isn't meant to be a complete description of the episode... Just wait and see...
Not me, because I officially don’t even consider it part of the story (and I don't think Miura does either, lets be honest, Miura doesn't give a shit about the DC game at all, he doesn't have it in mind when he writes and I doubt he would care if he directly contradicted it's events in the manga).
With all those Guts/Casca relationship centred episodes, you have to wonder how Guts possibly could not think about those few seconds when _Casca remembered him and talked to him_, indeed...
There's no _blatant_ contradiction so far, but I don't expect the plot of the game to have any relevance either... It probably was a bit of a "glimpse into the future" back when it was released, that's probably all there is...
That and the game may explain how Griffith enlisted all those Apostle-soldiers. ^^
But, I think the only time it could have occured is between 187 and 188 myself. ;D
Because of the snow? ^^

Griffith

With all those Guts/Casca relationship centred episodes, you have to wonder how Guts possibly could not think about those few seconds when _Casca remembered him and talked to him_, indeed...
My thoughts exactly.

Because of the snow? ^^
Yeah, and in 188 Guts attacks Caska and their whole relationship totally changes. It’s the best place to shove the game in, but it still fits like a cube in a round hole. I consider it an "alternate Berserk universe" completely out of context with the manga's story (that’s how Miura treats it after all).

-Griffith

Yeah, and in 188 Guts attacks Caska and their whole relationship totally changes.
I still think it fits better between volumes 22 and 23 (except for the snow)...
Also, episodes 187 and 188 share the same title, after all. ^^;

Kenoh-Sama

"What is love? Not that I want some or anythi
Its just a little bit less than I expected, seeing that this is the first real opportunity to see inside Griff's head. And we also get probably about 2-3 more chapters of Guts and comp. battling random ghosts.

I think their doing a good job not over exposing Griffith. I like how they seem to be teasing the readers with a little Griffith here and a little Griffith over there. If anything he looks more aloof because of it. I wouldn't mind knowing what's he's thinking either but all in due time.

Guts' story right now seems to have more personal consequence so I'd rather see more of that at the moment.

Vermillion

If we do not find them soon, we shall be of no use
Sort of makes you wonder about the folks who followed Berserk when Vol. 1 it was first available 8)

Patience is the key. Unfortunately I have little of it ;D

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, yeah. My biggest complaint is the fact that they are endless. They never build to a conclusion. Instead theyll go on tangents for issues at a time, never getting to the main point or conflict. Thats what Im getting at here...

how many series has Marvel actually ended? isnt X-men still going on in some form or fashion? or Spiderman? i know Superman ended only to be reborn or something...
my main problem with them is the fact that they lack creativity when compared to japanese manga, the ones ive seen anyway (i havent looked at an American produced comic in years).

Thats what Im getting at here...
I understood what you were getting at. ^_^;
No, it's just that I think American comics (... OK, _most_ American comics ^^; ) suck for many reasons...
And as long as Berserk appears to have _one_ of them, it's fine with me. ^_^;

Griffith

The basic problem with American comics is that the writers are less concerned with developing a complete story than they are with pleasing their whiny, bitch-ass fans from month to month.

I’m sure glad Berserk isn’t written like that, it wouldn't even be worth finishing. ^_^

-Griffith

Yeah, I used to be really into American comics but it was more of an equivalent of shounen manga for me because I was younger and into just action. I know publishers like Dark Horse release a lot of adult level "graphic novels" but I've been out of the loop for a while. Does anyone have any recommendations ? It sure would be nice to read a comic of quality in the native language...

You could always buy Dark Horse/Studio Proteus' excellent translations of manga such as BotI and Lone Wolf and Cub and some other stuff. I really dont think theres any American comic thats worth your money, especially when you can almost be sure youll get an even better manga with the same amount of money.

Yeah, I used to be really into American comics but it was more of an equivalent of shounen manga for me because I was younger and into just action. I know publishers like Dark Horse release a lot of adult level "graphic novels" but I've been out of the loop for a while. Does anyone have any recommendations ? It sure would be nice to read a comic of quality in the native language...

Neil Gaiman's "Sandman." A total of 10 books, each about $12 each. Pick one up, you won't be disappointed.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gaiman's work is excluded...Hes my hero. Plus you really, REALLY cant catagorize Sandman as American comics. Especially since most of it was written in Britain =)

Forgot to mention "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" by Frank Miller...it's a pretty great comic book, even if you're only vaguely familiar with Batman.

Top Bottom