Episode 280

Grail

Feel the funk blast
handsome rakshas said:
When I first went through the episode I was under the impression that Rakshas teleported through the elephant and exploded out the other side.
Yeah, I thought that was it too. After thinking about it, it does seem cooler that he wacked out the elephants with his mad ninjar skillz instead of with any DBZ antics. X'D Also, I'd to offer my unending appreciation and supply of e-cookies to Saiya.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Saiya, much appreciated! :guts:

handsome rakshas said:
Hehe, I was having a hard time telling what he did also. When I first went through the episode I was under the impression that Rakshas teleported through the elephant and exploded out the other side. Man was I trippin'! But the serum dart thing is pretty cool too, I guess.

Don't forget he's a former member of the Bakiraka. He's probably got all kinds of skills and tricks like this.

Judo said:
I didn't expect the Hawks to take action so soon.

Well without that, Vritannis would have been destroyed by the time they intervened. It was now or never from the looks of it.

Judo said:
And who're the guys that ride off that stranded ship at the end of the episode?

Soldiers of the Neo Hawks, that one's a given. From the look of the armor, the arm we see giving the order could be Griffith's I think. There's a sort of feather motif on it, but with the perspective it's hard to tell for sure. It looks like Griffith doesn't want to show his ugly Demon Soldiers to the public quite yet, so I think for now only the captains of the Hawks will be fighting (as far as apostles are concerned). In the end, I'm wondering if they're not trying to make the Kushans' sudden loss of control pass for an act of divine grace or something to the eyes of the Holy See alliance.

Also guys, next episode will have a color page!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow I fucking loved the pacing in that episode. The silent, foreboding action in the panels exploded with dialogue when we were shown the panicked Alliance. That was brilliant stuff. Well worth the wait.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So, has anybody got a theory on how Irvine can fire 10 arrows at once? :SK:

Also, here are some thoughts on the last page of the episode. If you look closely, the guys climbing the cliff on their horses are carrying what seems to be flags. When they reach the top, they'll be on a hill dominating the valley the battle is taking place in. Of course that could be nothing special, the first line of cavalry is the one holding flags so they're going first, but I'm wondering if the goal of getting them up there isn't to provide a diversion (with the real attack coming from another side?) or giving the Kushans the impression that they've been trapped and are being circled, more than to actually fight. The reason I'm thinking this is because the wrecked ships we can see don't look like they can hide a huge army. Of course there could be more of them we haven't seen, but that still got me thinking (especially since Griffith had a history of using similar strategies during his former life).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
So, has anybody got a theory on how Irvine can fire 10 arrows at once? :SK:
We've discussed, but I still MAINTAIN that he's holding more than 1 arrow between each finger. Even though it sounds ridiculous, so does shooting 10 arrows at once :carcus:

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Walter said:
We've discussed, but I still MAINTAIN that he's holding more than 1 arrow between each finger. Even though it sounds ridiculous, so does shooting 10 arrows at once  :carcus:
Not sure there is a need for more than one arrow between the fingers. You knock the arrows on the string, not hold them and push them yourself. All he needs to do is pull back the string and release. I'd assume he has them side by side as close as possible. I'd assume his funky apostle bow has some way of keeping the arrows rested against it so they don't fall off.

As for the soldiers at the end, I bet the arm was just a lieutenant or something. Doesn't look ornate enough to be Griffith.

Thanks a ton for the episode Saiya, us sorry leachers can do nothing but bask in your generosity (and buy the manga when it comes out of course).

BTW, wasn't Ganishka chilling in one of the howdas on one of the elephants? Wonder if he and Griffith will face off at all. It seems quite a bit early for him to die, but first visual contact might be interesting.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
Not sure there is a need for more than one arrow between the fingers. You knock the arrows on the string, not hold them and push them yourself. All he needs to do is pull back the string and release. I'd assume he has them side by side as close as possible. I'd assume his funky apostle bow has some way of keeping the arrows rested against it so they don't fall off.
Sounds good to me, don't know why I didn't think of that... I guess because I was only vaguely a fan of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves when I was a lad.

As for the soldiers at the end, I bet the arm was just a lieutenant or something. Doesn't look ornate enough to be Griffith.
I beg to differ. Upon closer comparison, I'd say it's very likely Griffith. The angle prevents me from giving a full-blown affirmative, but the beginnings of the unique feather motif are there.

BTW, wasn't Ganishka chilling in one of the howdas on one of the elephants? Wonder if he and Griffith will face off at all. It seems quite a bit early for him to die, but first visual contact might be interesting.
Ganishka was on a wheeled fortress type thing surrounded by several elephants. Visual contact will be an awesome moment, but I doubt it'll be in the next episode.

Aaz brought up something cool in 280, on the last page. Check out what the soldiers climbing the hill are carrying: looks like banners, and only banners. A publicity stunt? :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
I'd assume his funky apostle bow has some way of keeping the arrows rested against it so they don't fall off.

Well from what we've seen of it, there's no mysterious way of keeping them aimed at their target without Irvine actually holding them. In volume 23 for example we can see him shooting and the bow doesn't seem to help with that aspect of things, it's all up to his skill.

Vaxillus said:

Wally and I looked it up carefully and we both came to the conclusion that it's likely to be Griffith. It's really just the angle that casts some doubt.

Vaxillus said:

I hope he'll last at least for one more battle, but that's far from assured at this point. I'd also like to see some more familiars or creatures similar to the Kundalini (with astral powers), but so far it looks like the Kushans have an all-human army this time (well, excluding the elephants). Since you mention visual contact, this could be the occasion to show us his apostle form. Imagine some soldiers (I don't dare hoping for Rakshas to do it, that'd be too good) entering his mobile fort and coming face to face with a weaponless but very angry Ganishka. :SK:

Which for us is the occasion to revive the speculation on Ganishka's apostle form. Naga? Hairy and monstrous Daka-like spider? Some other horror?

Irvine can shoot both eyes out of someone's head?! :isidro:

Aww man, what an awesome episode.

When the raiding team at the end shows up, i wonder how much confusion that would cause in the Kushan army? I mean, it seems like most of Griffith's attacks have been aimed towards creating such chaos. I bet it wouldn't take that large of a force to cause a rout after the berserking elephants and the cavalry without a chain of command. Not to mention, if they're flanking/coming from the rear they could probably get at more of the Kushan command elements.

The guys who pulled off the rout (the small cavalry force at the end) would probably be looked upon as heroes too (that is, if it isn't griffith leading them personally).

On a sidenote, i was suddenly reminded of Wyndham. If Ganishka isn't there, could the resistance pull off a liberation?

Much appreciated. It's been a long wait, but well worth it.
I get to see 2 things I like today: New release for a fave game & this. ;]

I for one think it's Griffith too. The last time we saw him he was def. in the vicinity of those ships (I believe). I think from here and a few episodes on, it'll be a primarily 'normal army' battle. I doubt we'll see apostle forms. No doubt Griffith's gang will show off their skills (Irvine and Rakshas already have), I doubt we'll see anything like Grunberd lettin' his inner dragon out.

Judo

Midlands finest
I can't remember seeing Griffith near any ships in the past.
That doesn't impede that it's him, of course.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Judo said:
I can't remember seeing Griffith near any ships in the past.
That doesn't impede that it's him, of course.
I think Proj just meant the vicinity of those rocky cliffs, where we last saw Griffith.

Malachai said:
Irvine can shoot both eyes out of someone's head?! :isidro:
Check out the panel where he shoots the guy's eardrum out. I didn't recognize what it was until today :guts:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Check out the panel where he shoots the guy's eardrum out. I didn't recognize what it was until today :guts:

Lol.. I didn't notice that! I musta thought it was some sort of ear protection part of the armor. Ew. Looks like the best way to would be the arrow through the brain stem - as I would hate to get it through both eyes!!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
CnC said:
Looks like the best way to would be the arrow through the brain stem - as I would hate to get it through both eyes!! 

Yeah, you might still be alive after your eyes are a hundred yards to your right, stuck to an arrow in the ground.

Irvine: "Let's see how many different organs I can hit..." :badbone:

What a great battle! My only hope is it lasts for a couple more episodes and, as a lot of people already said, here's to some apostle forms making an entrance. Cheers!
Check out the panel where he shoots the guy's eardrum out. I didn't recognize what it was until today Guts
Not to nitpick but it's actually the inner ear, "the snail" or "cochlea" being the most notable shape.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
vlad said:
Not to nitpick but it's actually the inner ear, "the snail" or "cochlea" being the most notable shape.
Well, I really should have known that, as my girlfriend has been studying anatomy and physiology for months now... Thankfully, she doesn't read these forums. :carcus:

Top Bottom