The Skull Knight

ok, so i know im a newb here and well im already up to volume 14 on berserk and watched all the dvds. Too be honest when i read volume 13, I was shocked to see the skullknight save both Guts and Casca. In the beginning, when I saw the Skullknight, I thought he be pure evil...

But i assumed wrong, lol just the way he looked deceived me. Of all the darkly looking characters in Berserk, Id say hes one of the nicer ones if you ask me. :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I guess your point is that appearances can be deceiving? It's true SK's first appearance is grim, but I think you can know even then that he's not "evil." All he did was warn Guts of the dangers lying ahead of him.

C

Crucades

hes definately the coolest char shown so far, the way he deflected voids counter attack in 13 and beats down the mighty zodd :zodd: is just too cool

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Crucades said:
hes definately the coolest char shown so far, the way he deflected voids counter attack in 13 and beats down the mighty zodd :zodd: is just too cool
I thought it was cooler how Void counter-attacked, personally. But of course, SK is awesome, otherwise this site would be called Voidbrain.net or sixfingeredwiseman.net Hmmm.... :void:

Also, SK doesn't "beat Zodd down" if anything they're pretty evenly matched.

C

Crucades

well as its shown zodd is melting his arms back to his body while SK is off battling angels and fearlessly confronting the masses of the eclipse, if it was evenly balanced in my opinion SK wouldnt get to breach the ceremony whilst zodd wouldnt need to glue himself back together :carcus:

::edit::

checked the battle again and even rickert says and i quote "to think someone could match....no, he fought even betterthan zodd..."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Crucades said:
well as its shown zodd is melting his arms back to his body while SK is off battling angels and fearlessly confronting the masses of the eclipse, if it was evenly balanced in my opinion SK wouldnt get to breach the ceremony whilst zodd wouldnt need to glue himself back together :carcus:
Zodd let SK go at the end of the eclipse. He did him a FAVOR. All SK did was distract Zodd enough to be able to break away to save Guts and Casca. You may as well chalk up Zodd scratching SK's shield in volume 26 to a wound as well, since its as superficial as Zodd losing his arms temporarily.

Also, battling angels, huh? I guess you mean the God Hand. May as well call the Apostles DEVILS like the back of Dark Horse's editions do. It's equally false.

checked the battle again and even rickert says and i quote "to think someone could match....no, he fought even betterthan zodd..."
:ganishka:

C

Crucades

hey no spoilers :p i only read DH, as for the favor offer from zodd to SK by letting him go, even if they were to fight again theres nothing to suggest that SK wouldnt just put zodd down and continue his path as its demostrated hes in control of superior abilities, and that zodds humour at guts survival being merely a shield to hide behind :carcus:

zodd losing his arms may be superficial in regards to his vitality, but without them i dont think he would last in a fully fledged battle thereafter.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Crucades said:
theres nothing to suggest that SK wouldnt just put zodd down and continue his path as its demostrated hes in control of superior abilities,
Oh, but there is. But since you've only read up to Vol 14-15, I don't want to SPOIL the TRUTH :badbone: . Come Volume 26, you'll understand.

zodd losing his arms may be superficial in regards to his vitality, but without them i dont think he would last in a fully fledged battle thereafter.
He's a pretty versatile fighter. Without his arms, he still has his horns, tail, and legs to use in combat before he has a chance to reattach his arms.

C

Crucades

not a problem if DH keep upin the ante, currently a volume per 2 months, 12 volumes to go.... ill continue this in 2 years buddy!!! XD

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
While the Skull Knight is undeniably one of the most powerful, and impressive, chracters in Berserk, he can not yet hope to defeat the God hand on his own.

His motive seems to be revenge, much like Guts, but I wonder why he doesn't tell us more. Would Guts simply not belive (or care) what he is told, or is SK serving causality by not telling them who shebang?

Another thing that has ALWAYS bugged me aboiut him: Is that his head or his helmet!? :SK:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Femto the Raven said:
is SK serving causality by not telling them who shebang?

What?

Femto the Raven said:
Another thing that has ALWAYS bugged me aboiut him: Is that his head or his helmet!? :SK:

It's a helmet, you can see it upon close inspection. He does have an eerie control on it though, being able to open its mouth to swallow beherits or his sword, so it might also serve as his head somehow (if there's nothing tangible left inside the helmet). Anyway it's not a real human skull.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
Oh, I guess the way it's a so much smaller than the rest of his armour had me thinking it was his real head.

What I meant was, why doesn't the Skull Knight aid Guts and co. more? Leaving them to struggle through on their own rather than helping them help him. I mean, he was right there at Floras' and didn't say boo.

I'd think it would make more sense to if not travel with them directly then to try and aid Guts in his struggle.
Struggle being the key word in that last sentence, I gues Guts is 'destined' to struggle alone, but wouldn't he be more of a asset to Guts if he sat down and said something along the lines of:

"Alright G-man, you are going to help me wipe out the disciples and I'm going to consume whatever behelits they leave behind, etc, etc, and maybe we'll get those bastards good!"

Of course, I joke, but wouldn't a little comunication between Guts group and the SK help things along a bit? I just assumed he had some thing(s) to hide.

Sorry for getting off topic.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Femto the Raven said:
What I meant was, why doesn't the Skull Knight aid Guts and co. more?

Who knows? He's surely got other (mysterious) things to do. And who said Guts wants his help (or needs it) anyway? Have you seen him asking for help, or looking like he'd accept it? That's not his style, and it shows if you look at their exchanges. On one side you have a former emperor that has lived for a thousand years, and on the other one of the most disrespectful men to ever walk the earth. It's quite a cocktail.

Femto the Raven said:
I'd think it would make more sense to if not travel with them directly then to try and aid Guts in his struggle.

He's helped Guts when it mattered. I don't see why it'd make more sense for SK to waste his time with him and the group when he's probably got his own, more important agenda.

Femto the Raven said:
I gues Guts is 'destined' to struggle alone

Guess not, since he's not alone. :void:

Femto the Raven said:
the disciples

They're called "apostles," not "disciples."

Femto the Raven said:
Of course, I joke, but wouldn't a little comunication between Guts group and the SK help things along a bit?

How exactly would it help things along? What would it change? They're each doing their own thing, and they have different goals and priorities too. I mean, there's no doubt SK is retaining information, because it's clear he knows A LOT of things, but it's not like he hasn't told Guts anything at all either. In fact he's warned and enlightened him plenty of times so far, in his characteristically cryptic fashion. What purpose would it serve to tell Guts something he's not ready to hear, or not interested in at the time? He's basically only telling him what he needs to hear each time they meet. That's also part of his character, and as for why he's not more open with them, Flora herself commented on it when they talked together in volume 24. He's helping without interfering too much. One can find many possible reasons for this: to let Guts make his own choices without influencing him, to let him get stronger by himself, to let him learn "the truth" about the world progressively, to avoid attracting too much attention on his own secret activities, etc.

As a quick reminder though, he told Guts about the Eclipse a year in advance, then he saved him from it, he told him about his new condition and saved him from ghosts, then helped save Casca, warned him about his child, then later told him about the incarnation ceremony and what it would bring forth, as well as the choices he would have to make. More recently, he asked Flora to help the group, saved Guts from Slan, told him about the DS' new properties, then saved him from apostles, and later on the beach warned him about the armor, Griffith's plans, and told him there was hope for Casca in Elfhelm. The list is long, and not negligible.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I really brooded over the possibility of Skull-Knight not having the best of intentions too, what sealed it for me was when he saved Luca twice. There was no other reason for him to do that but for a noble impulse . . . Unless of course, he decided to use her to get closer to the Beherit Apostle . . . hmm . . . Nahhh!

Top Bottom