Biggest Change Ever...

White_Hawk

The Only True Free Spirit / Dark Horse Rider
Besides, ordering manga online is rather easy.
(it could be different in Croatia, I don't know ^^; )

You wanna hear the story of my beherit again?

I believe harm is done, on the contrary. I'm not saying that a fews scans will kill Hakusensha, of course, but they still take their toll on the manga sales.

Just because lots of manga are printed in Japan doesn't mean that you can steal a few copies once in a while. Drawing and publishing manga is a work, and manga are products. You're supposed to pay for them, otherwise it's stealing.

"True fans" may try to get the original, but if editors had to rely on "true fans" only, I don't know if they would be able to pay Miura. ^^;

So Miura is rich afterall, eh? ;)
Anyway, we have opinions that are different, but we agree on one thing, and that'sthe fact we all need t pay for the comics.
I agree, and I told you I would buy any volume if I had access to a translation and a good shop, but I don't. I know for fact that the net has too little sites with berserk scans, so I really opt for the solution of posting new chapters. Young Animal relies on sales within Japan, or doesn't it?

Damnit!! :-/ this is the whole Napster debate all over again. Look when I was a little kid I used to copy songs off of the radio onto cassette tapes. Is this stealing? Was this hurting record sales? Actually in some cases like Falco (writer of “Rock Me Amadeus”) who only recorded one hit, it probably did. On the other hand, you have guys who are scouring the Internet looking for translated scraps of Berserk. If these people are willing to commit so much of their time to Berserk why wouldn’t they commit money for the real thing?

I don’t know how the marketing and distribution of Berserk works in other countries, but in the U.S. there is virtually none. (Actually aside from special imports you can ignore the virtually) I have not physically met a single person who has heard of Berserk aside from the people that have become interested after I told them about it. If it weren’t for fan-subs on the Internet, I would have never heard of Berserk either.

O.K. let’s say you own a beer company (actually it could be wine or toenail clippers, it all applies). One day you give a friend a beer, and he really likes it. He tells all of his friends about it, and you suddenly notice a slight increase in sales. This is in spite of the fact that you are making a pretty good living and have no interest in selling or advertising the beer outside of your city. Then one day he moves to another state/province/country and decides to start his own beer company with very similar beer to yours. THAT BASTARD, I CAN’T BELIEVE HE STOLE YOUR IDEA AND DIDN’T GIVE YOU ANY CREDIT!!!! But is that really the issue? The question is: has you friend hurt or helped you beer sales by stealing customers you never had in the first place by selling imitation beer? One can argue he actually helped sales by increasing your notoriety within your city.

This whole debate is more about pride than anyone would like to admit..

O.K. it’s time for me to reveal my true identity……………I’m none other than BILL FUCKIN’ GATES. I’m not the Microsoft Bill Gates, his middle name isn’t Fuckin’. Sorry I’m tired and a bit punchy.. :p

White_Hawk

But you do have all Berserk volumes, after all?
Yep, I've got 2 x vol.1-8, and all the way to vol. 21 and a half, the scans, which don't really qualify, a hand made beherit, a receit for a never delivered model beherit, a big poster on Japan, and the manga too , The Wolf King and a bunch of scanned pictures from the net. Am I a criminal?
I believe he is, but so what? Is it all right to steal rich people's work?

I don' t think I'm stealing, since sooner or later i'll buy the volumes. It's just that I don't want to wait a year because some italian editor plays with my nerves. But again, I agree it's wrong to steal from rich people. We should steal from poor people, like me. ;D
Seriously,
I don't think Miura is that rich. It's the same as Hagiwara or Shirow, they get dough but they ain't rich, and they work all the time too, so they probably don't even check their bank accounts if not for purchase of slutty magazines... ;)
But what do I care. I waste my money on violent magazines, like berserk, and make those guys richer, and if I "steal" a few scans to be up to date, I'm sure the god of biomechanics won't mind. Oh wait, that's if I were a replicant... 8)

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
I agree with White Hawk. I got the volumes, will buy them all any way I can...

The scans are just a way of getting throught the waiting period... I can live with it, but I don't like it. If the scans could be distributed some way I would be more than delighted... *ponders*

Yep, I've got 2 x vol.1-8, and all the way to vol. 21 and a half, the scans, which don't really qualify, a hand made beherit, a receit for a never delivered model beherit, a big poster on Japan, and the manga too , The Wolf King and a bunch of scanned pictures from the net. Am I a criminal?

:eek:
Of course not! ^^;
But that just shows that getting volumes isn't "impossible", is it?

I don' t think I'm stealing, since sooner or later i'll buy the volumes.

I'm not saying that _you_'re stealing. If you eventually buy the volumes, I believe that's fine.
But some people won't, because of the scans.

I don't think Miura is that rich.

I'm pretty sure he is. ^_^;

It's the same as Hagiwara or Shirow, they get dough but they ain't rich,

Oh, I think they are. ^_^;
Hagiwara has been through some problems with his editor, last year, but judging from his basement and how many LDs/DVDs he bought, I'd say he's fine. ^^;

I think "mangaka" aren't rich or poor.
But _famous mangaka_... You can bet they're rich, really. ^__^;

and they work all the time too, so they probably don't even check their bank accounts if not for purchase of slutty magazines... ;)

That's probably true. For those who work in weekly magazines (and maybe Miura), anyway.

I waste my money on violent magazines, like berserk, and make those guys richer, and if I "steal" a few scans to be up to date, I'm sure the god of biomechanics won't mind. Oh wait, that's if I were a replicant... 8)

Then again, I wasn't talking about you specifically... You have all Berserk volumes, after all...
But I know that some people wouldn't bother buying volumes because they already have/can find scans ("and those volumes are in Japanese anyway, why would I spend money for them?").

White_Hawk

But that just shows that getting volumes isn't "impossible", is it?

But some people won't, because of the scans.
Well those guys don't really like berserk, cuz I could never settle for the scans-
Hagiwara has been through some problems with his editor, last year, but judging from his basement and how many LDs/DVDs he bought, I'd say he's fine. ^^;

HAHAHAHAA :D :D :D
Hagi, what a guy. So they finally pressed him eh? How long was it since the last Bastard!!!?
Oh, ma, I've been waiting for vol.23 for a year now...but Hagiwara.... ;D, I smile just thinkin about him...

Well those guys don't really like berserk, cuz I could never settle for the scans

Yeah, but like I said, publishers don't sell manga to true fans only, far from it...

Hagi, what a guy. So they finally pressed him eh?

Well, it wasn't the first time, but he was _really_ worried, last year... ^_^;;

How long was it since the last Bastard!!!?

It looks like there'll be a new episode in a few days, in the next issue of Ultra Jump...

Fishbomb

Fear the slightly white swordsman!
Hagi, what a guy. So they finally pressed him eh? How long was it since the last Bastard!!!?
Oh, ma, I've been waiting for vol.23 for a year now...but Hagiwara.... ;D, I smile just thinkin about him...

Bastard!! Bastard!! *starts a chant* Hell, I love that one! Babes and obscure metal references... can it be better?

*sweats at the thought of how much it will cost buying them all from japan* But I will damnit!!! Every single one!!! *snickers*

Nope... I am not hyper right now... serously. No way... *nods*

lyricaldanichan

My Boredom Has Outshined The Sun!
grrr that is very disapointing that some ASS like paradiselost would do that. IMHO I can't see Hakusensha going after everybody unless they have a lot of resources to catch them and people can just post scans on usenet too :p

Anywhoo.. I just can't wait now for vol 22, but I personally VERY MUCH SO appreciate everything that Walter and company has done to buy, scan and translate the chapters. Thank you for the time and effort you guys have put into the Berserk community.

Danielle

No Kidding this really blows.  Well I'll still get the YA issues only I always get them two weeks late.  They'll be worth it tho.  Thanks for all the work you've done walter.  Please don't stop working on the text translations tho...I depend on them ;D

Walter, could it be possible in the future to post here on the BBS some picture from YA that represents new characters or key moments ???

Walter, could it be possible in the future to post here on the BBS some picture from YA that represents new characters or key moments ???

It's up to Walter, of course, but I believe you can post a few pictures as long as it's "for illustration purpose", or something like that?...

I dunno if I'd risk it.

I think you just have to do the same kind of things as... say, ex.org does. A few little pictures next to a text, and the copyright stuff.
But then again, I don't know much about this kind of matters, so... ^^;

White_Hawk

Naaaaah...that would be ok.
I don't think Haku guys have such influence on the web. You already removed the important stuff. They don't even check the site, probably.
After all, as you once said walter, once you delete the pics from the serevr there is no proof.
And if they really push, I'm a coming there to kick their nice suit ass, berserk style (after which I'll smack miura in the head and tell him to go for a drink instead of drawing the whole time)...and then I'd wake up, and realise chapter 189 is out and I have 187 to salivate on...gwaahhh

shogunate

Look at me!
boy i'm pissed.  I dont mind BUYING comics but I dont know Japanese!  I can read Korean, so I could get the Korean translation of Berserk comic books but it takes forever for the translation.  I mean the book comes out once ever 6-8months and it take like 2 months for trans and publishing!  Argggghhh!~~~~
This was truly one of the best Fan site I've known.  Thanks Walter and rest of you ppl who've worked on this site. you kick ass.   ;D

It would be exaggerated from the Hakusensha to not let you post some pics...Haven't they been releasing "Special Previews" some time ago?

Top Bottom