Berserk nearly over? Or only halfway done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Dirty Dog said:
That is definately true, no denying it.
But will you deny that the realization of Griffith's dream wouldn't be the beginning of the "climax" of the series?
That's not really the point I was making, and neither were you.

As for my Void avatar, I've always had him as my avatar. I just switched back to one of my older ones.

Dirty Dog

Walter said:
That's not really the point I was making, and neither were you.

It's not directly the point that I was making, but it leads into it.
I'm no english major (not even a scholar of any sort), but if I remember correctly from High School, the (basic) structure of a story is: build of tension (where we are now) -> climax -> resolution. And, typically, the resolution occurs much faster than the building of tension. (I haven't read story where it took longer, anyway, usually it's just the last act/couple of chapters/etc.)
There's what I was leading into. o_O

B

bastard_swordsman

Even though you make a fair point about the structure of the plot, we have to take into consideration that some characters (eg, Mule) are only just being developed, whilst other characters (eg, Ganishka) still have big plots going, not to mention a fair few Apostles (I can't help but hope Guts gets his revenge on the bugger that took his arm). So although the central plot may seem to be nearing it's end, there is certainly enough filler material to keep the story going (and interesting) for quite a lot longer.

Dirty Dog

bastard_swordsman said:
Even though you make a fair point about the structure of the plot, we have to take into consideration that some characters (eg, Mule) are only just being developed, whilst other characters (eg, Ganishka) still have big plots going, not to mention a fair few Apostles (I can't help but hope Guts gets his revenge on the bugger that took his arm). So although the central plot may seem to be nearing it's end, there is certainly enough filler material to keep the story going (and interesting) for quite a lot longer.
Ganishka will almost definitely be killed before Griffith becomes king, and Mule will most likely be developed along the way there.

As for the apostle that "took" Guts' arm (http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2508/theapostlezv7.jpg), one of the default avatars (http://www.skullknight.net/avatars/Volkov.jpg) is a picture of him covered with Daka, which means that he'll most likely stand in Guts' way of killing Griffith anyway.

And I never said it wouldn't be dragged out by side stories, because I doubt Miura would end the series without tying off his loose ends, but they're only side stories, and all of them together shouldn't drag the story out too much, especially since most of them relate in some way to the God Hand.

Stream

Inousha
Taking everything in consideration, I'd say we've been through around 45%-55% of Berserk.. Just a rough judgement..
But who knows...

And what if Miura is planning to follow the example of Guin Saga, which influenced him? :serpico: Then we're gonna get a whole lot more Berserk than we'd usually expect... :carcus:

Dirty Dog

Stream said:
And what if Miura is planning to follow the example of Guin Saga, which influenced him?  :serpico: Then we're gonna get a whole lot more Berserk than we'd usually expect... :carcus:
We can only hope...
:guts:

Which reminds me, I gotta get my hands on that, even though only the first 3 books/volumes have been translated apparently. X_x

B

bastard_swordsman

I can't see Miura killing off any of the higher ranking members of the Hawks that quickly. It seems to take the length of an entire book for Gutts to defeat a major character, so considering their character development, I'd guess they're going out with a bang. Then there's the whole "who is Skull Knight" thing, which could be a fair book or two, and Ganishka still needs killing by someone. Plus the current events need resolving... and Elfhelm is still to be seen. So unless Gutts decides to settle down there with Casca, I'd agree that we've definately seen only half of Berserk (at a bare minimum).

Dirty Dog

Skullgrin140 said:
Berserk is no where near being finished, So much stuff has yet to be revealed. So it might go on for another 10 or 20 years, and its worth the wait
My hopeful guess is 20 years.
Might be a little pathetic for a 40-year old man to be waiting anxiously for the next episode of a manga to come out, but better than a 50-year old man. o_O

Stream

Inousha
At the moment I am very happy to be young.

Yes of course, the lifespan is an unpredictable thing, but still..
I just had the crazy idea... Imagine to be, at this present date, a 60-65 yrs old Berserk fan. :troll:

Or maybe that would be a good thing? Maybe the determination to see the end of manga would keep me alive till age 100? :zodd:

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
Agreed. I'm up for another twenty years or so for the ultimate fantasy to come to its conclusion, but the wait is murder!

Dirty Dog made a point about story structure, and while I have two english courses in college to back up that statement, it seems to me Berserk breaks the rules a little.

Every couple of books bears the tension buildup, conclusion, resolution structure, yet the over arching plot remains fairly distant from resolution.

Their was a tension buildup, conclusion, resolution to every story arch, Guardians of Desire, Golden Age, Lost Children, etc, but Guts is still searching for some way to destory Griffith and the Godhand and that goal remains al long way out of his reach.

I still like my orginal estimate that we are 70% or so done with the story (I'm just a tad impatient I guess) but like Aaz, Walter, and several others have noted, their remains much in the story to be resolved and its doubtful we don't have dozens of new plot developments waiting in the wings. This is Miura after all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Skullgrin140 said:
Lets hope it will be 50 volumes. Because its the perfect number for it to end
Because it's round? I don't really think Miura's going to compromise the story so the ending volume number is nice and "even."

Walter said:
Because it's round? I don't really think Miura's going to compromise the story so the ending volume number is nice and "even."

It is in the best interest of your mental health not to question skullgrin's (il)logic and reasoning.

At the rate the story seems to be going I don't think it's even possible for this story to come to an end at 50. Everything would just be extremely rushed.

I'm putting my bet down for around 2018 for Berserks end. It gives time for a good 22 volumes to come, that's a good amount of time.
I'm also taking into consideration (and correct me if I'm wrong) but wasn't it once said that Miura had intentions of creating another manga title after Berserk?

By then he would be around 52, he might not want to spend the majority of his life to one title which for an artist is understandable, but a good 20 to 23 more volumes would give him plenty of room to wrap Berserk up well and truely if he wanted to before undertaking other projects after.

I guess that would mean I'm siding towards 55 Volumes, give or take..... It's kind of similar to Malf's speculation, but it's for every different reason, I promise!

Sparnage said:
I'm putting my bet down for around 2018 for Berserks end. It gives time for a good 22 volumes to come, that's a good amount of time.
I'm also taking into consideration (and correct me if I'm wrong) but wasn't it once said that Miura had intentions of creating another manga title after Berserk?

By then he would be around 52, he might not want to spend the majority of his life to one title which for an artist is understandable, but a good 20 to 23 more volumes would give him plenty of room to wrap Berserk up well and truely if he wanted to before undertaking other projects after.

I guess that would mean I'm siding towards 55 Volumes, give or take..... It's kind of similar to Malf's speculation, but it's for every different reason, I promise!

2018 is only 11 years,u have to take in consideration the breaks by Miura too.As for me I doubt it will take less than 15 years to end it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
2008 will be the 20th anniversary of Berserk (counting the Prototype), so I doubt we're in store for a whole other 15 years. That's just my opinion though...

Walter said:
2008 will be the 20th anniversary of Berserk (counting the Prototype), so I doubt we're in store for a whole other 15 years. That's just my opinion though...

How long after the Prototype was it before the first proper episode came out?

Not to get off topic or make unfounded statements, BUT Yuzo Takada (creator of 3x3 Eyes) made a joke in an interview I read awhile back, saying that he always thought he would outlast his contemporaries (the breakthrough mangakas of the late eighties, as it were, specifically 87') including Miura, when 3x3 Eyes hit 40 volumes. He then goes on to say that Miura was starting to worry him, and he could see another 40 volumes of Berserk. Not really relevant to anything, I just thought it was funny.

I think Berserk may be halfway done.

I believe that within the next two years, we'll see Griffith conquer Midland and create his own kingdom, as well as Guts' arrival in Elfhelm and the subsequent twists which are sure to follow. That's going to be the turning point of Berserk, I suspect. After everything in Elfhelm is settled, I think Guts will be ready to turn back to Midland and battle the Apostles and, ultimately, the Godhand. Casca will hopefully be healed, and I think we're going to find out the truth about Skull Knight, given Puck's comments about him smelling like an elf.

The earliest I can see it ending is 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom