Berserk nearly over? Or only halfway done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CnC

Ad Oculos
solinari67 said:
i'd really hope to think that berserk isn't drawn out more than 10 or 12 more volumes.

It'll be as long as Miura wants it to be.

solinari67 said:
i feel that the original driving conflicts have worn off almost entirely. the sense of rivalry between guts and griffith has (in my readings) faded completely in the past couple of volumes.
the events that set nearly everything in motion were 20 volumes ago and i think their effect is running out. maybe it's just that i'm reading an episode every other month, but the story--if anything--feels like it's in limbo right now.

Your not reading it, then. The "driving conflicts" are as present in this most recent episode as they were ten years ago, when I started reading it.

Might I suggest you start paying attention? or at the very least think a bit harder about the content of your posts.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, those things haven't faded so much as the details have changed, and your characterization leaves much to be desired. Rivalry? It's a little more complicated than that, and you neglect to mention all the new conflicts Guts' faces, now more than ever. This just sounds like lazy reading, like you're so focused on a broad, simple theme that you're ignoring everything else under the umbrella (which in turn makes the main them worthless in any case).

So, you'll be the first to officially get...

weekly.jpg

Griffith No More! said:
Yeah, those things haven't faded so much as the details have changed, and your characterization leaves much to be desired. Rivalry? It's a little more complicated than that, and you neglect to mention all the new conflicts Guts' faces, now more than ever. This just sounds like lazy reading, like you're so focused on a broad, simple theme that you're ignoring everything else under the umbrella (which in turn makes the main them worthless in any case).

So, you'll be the first to officially get...

weekly.jpg

Please don't confuse Berserk with literature.

Griffith

That he did, and in quite ironic fashion since we were attempting (he failed =) to mock the same misguided pretensions, so much so that I can...

Grimnir_Wanderer said:

weekly.jpg

Post it again in his honor! Thank you! :casca:

Nice first post BTW.

Posted on: Today at 07:42:22 AMPosted by: Fruit_Wanderer

lit·er·a·ture Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lit-er-uh-cher, -choor, li-truh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. writings in which expression and form, in connection with ideas of permanent and universal interest, are characteristic or essential features, as poetry, novels, history, biography, and essays.
2. the entire body of writings of a specific language, period, people, etc.: the literature of England.
3. the writings dealing with a particular subject: the literature of ornithology.
4. the profession of a writer or author.
5. literary work or production.
6. any kind of printed material, as circulars, leaflets, or handbills: literature describing company products.
7. Archaic. polite learning; literary culture; appreciation of letters and books.

Berserk fits under multiple of these definitions.

It appears that Fruit_wanderer is a small ant like being of a troll. Fascinating specimen. Berserk is the only fiction, literature, book, that I take time out of my busy schedule to read as it is just a huge world that pulls you in. Mr. Fruit_Wanderer appears to be full of hogwash at this current time. :carcus:

- C

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Once they get to Elfhelm and that scenario plays out, unless they have another direct conflict to address, I would imagine that the sights would be set on Griffith and taking him down or at least intervening in his plot to some degree. However, Griffith might have to do something big in order to spark this decision. Guts just waking up after all the emotional trials and tribulations of Elfhelm and deciding to wipe out Griffith just seems a little far-fetched.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
However, Griffith might have to do something big in order to spark this decision. Guts just waking up after all the emotional trials and tribulations of Elfhelm and deciding to wipe out Griffith just seems a little far-fetched.

Yeah, and it's not like it'll be a walk in the park to get to him either.

I really can't wait for the moment when they reach Elfhelm... What would be awaiting them?

A lot more powerful allies on Guts side, or?

Smith said:
I really can't wait for the moment when they reach Elfhelm... What would be awaiting them?

A lot more powerful allies on Guts side, or?

I'm voting more allies, they might meet up with some enemies on the way, perhaps even in Elfhelm but in either case I expect to see at least a few allies that will have an impact on the later part of the series.

"Berserk is the only fiction, literature, book, that I take time out of my busy schedule to read as it is just a huge world that pulls you in."

What I find so ironic is that the initial replies to my comment were centered around how I missed the sarcasm.

Griffith

Sparnage said:
I'm voting more allies, they might meet up with some enemies on the way, perhaps even in Elfhelm but in either case I expect to see at least a few allies that will have an impact on the later part of the series.

Well, Grimnir_Wanderer, you also missed that quotation in the first place, which I find interesting since you apparently weren't responding to what you actually ended up quoting. Well, that explains everything! Happens all the time too; whoops, see, I did it just now!? Doh!

Anyway, surely you can understand how such a mistake on your part would make your whole statement and purpose here seem rather unfocused and confused, even more so at this point. So, please excuse us for not understanding you were actually replying to something else than what you were technically replying to; confused people breed confusion, especially when they're trying to backpedal and pussyfoot around themselves.

So, if you've nothing more relevant to say, maybe you should just sit the next couple of plays out, eh champ? Get your bearings.

Fruit_Wanderer said:
What I find so ironic is that the initial replies to my comment were centered around how I missed the sarcasm

You said Berserk is not literature. See my above post for the definitive answer to your void where prohibited, and it was prohibited here, statement.

You, Wanderer of the Fruit, have posted a extreme stretch of fiction, placing Berserk in a non literature like setting in the vast void (not where prohibited) that is your brain. I will be the cerebral assassin to let you know, as obviously it is difficult for you to see your error as posting about this in the "Berserk nearly over? Or only halfway done?" thread.

Use www.dictionary.com if any of the simple words I have used, mainly ones with more than one or two syllables, are out of your vocabulary.

On topic, I think Berserk is a good ways from being done. Farther than we imagine, but closer than we know.

- C

ps. Peace.Love.Recycle. :carcus:

D

Duststorm

No way, Berserk is far from over. Plenty of events will be shown in the future

ZoddTheImmortal

I Seek Only The Strong
There's no way it could be over so soon. Were going to be waiting extremely long for it to be over. The series is going slow as it is now. If Berserk wasn't such a masterpiece I would grow tired of waiting for new episodes to come out.

ZoddTheImmortal said:
There's no way it could be over so soon. Were going to be waiting extremely long for it to be over. The series is going slow as it is now. If Berserk wasn't such a masterpiece I would grow tired of waiting for new episodes to come out.

Man, when this series ended we will realise... We are getting old. :judo:

Hey, how are you all? New to the boards although not to berserk or the site so pretty happy to throw my opinion in with what are mostly pretty informed people here. Anyhow... seriously doubt Berserk is quite halfway yet. If you look at the pacing Griffith has not even achieved his dream quite yet and Guts and company still haven't reached Elfhelm. We are looking at quite a few more archs. At least one for the Elfhelm exploits and another for Guts revenge. This is being flexible too with the possibility of new importent characters which will come into play soon(prolly at Elfhelm) and the plot twist that happens there. I think a big one is being saved for there..I personally do not see Casca recovering her sanity and do not think it best for the story as it would prolly get in the way of Guts interests for revenge. Miura may choose to use her another way though to put a spin on things. Also going off of Miura's influences like Guin Saga Berserk will prolly be going as long as he is able to, I doubt 100+ but who know. Berserk is an epic story and it really feels like it just started. All the plot twists and platform for the real story just got finished being laid out, who know what he has planned?

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Well you never know if the story will end with Griffith being brought down before achieving his dream, or things getting really interesting once he's become an all powerful ruler. Then there's the whole god hand group whom I don't see vanishing into the annals of Berserk history. Plenty of good stories yet to be told.

Ohgee. Twenty more years? Seeing as how it's almost been twenty years...wow. :isidro:

I agree with Tuco though; I could see it ending around fifty volumes.

yesmilord

千年王国
In all honesty, speculation for length is probably moot.

What we can speculate, however, is just exactly how much more Miura has to cover -

1. The Formation of the New Party
Is really just the beginning. All of the characters are fairly young, and even though we've gotten a big enough sample platter to pretty much understand each character's personality/forte/weaknesses; what is to become of them in the near future (hopefully not distant future) remains to be seen. It seems Miura has pretty much introduced all the major players at this point (adding more primary characters would seriously dilute the story - I almost thought he was going to drop Farnese at one point!) This is a pretty broad statement, but I can't go further into detail without branching off too much, so bear with me as I go through a few bullet points.

2. Walking the Path of Hell (relates directly to the Schierke x Guts relationship)
In vol.26, Zodd makes reference to the berserk armor as the armor Skull Knight wore in the past (possibly as Gaeseric). Zodd states something along the lines of, "Dear nemesis, do you intend on having [Guts] walk the same path as you? The path down the road of hell?" The relationship between Flora and The Skull Knight are apparent, yet we know very little about it. However, after viewing the ensuing volumes, we can assume that the functional relationship between Guts and Schierke should be a repeat of what happened between the former two - fighter in the berserker armor and caster keeping the fighter sane. The point I'm trying to make is, there is a lot of development for Schierke to come and lots of sacrifice as well. Otherwise, "Walking the Path of Hell" also represents walking the path of the "Branded One". This brings me to how similar Guts situation is to The Skull Knight's, which is still a gap in knowledge longing to be filled.

3. The Bad Guys
What really impresses me about Berserk is how Miura really reversed the spectrum between good and evil. Here we're rooting for a bloodthirsty brute with a big-ass sword and spitting on the most gallant she-man in the existence of humanity. But I digress. The enemies in Berserk are bounteous and there will be many, many fights to come. I'm going to go through the order of bad guys that Guts and co. need to defeat before the story can end (this is all IMO btw):

A. Emperor Ganishka
Ok Ganishka has less to do with Guts than he does to do with Griffith's claim to Midland, but he is still a plot obstacle. He, in my opinion, is the intermission stage that Griffith needs to conquer before he controls the entirety of the human lands. Once Ganishka is conquered, so will the rest of the civilized world, thus moving Griffith that much further to completing his dream.

B. The Band of the Hawk (new)
There are a lot of new guys, and some haven't even made a real debut fight scene! If you think about it and if the plot follows the traditional "work-your-way-up-the-ladder" deal, Guts still has several members to take care of. This includes (but is not limited to): Grunbeld, Locus, Irvine, Rakshas, and Zodd (who I assume will be taken care of by The Skull Knight).

C. The God Hand
I'm not sure how much Guts goals have changed over the course of his travels, but I know he wanted to destroy both the God Hand and Griffith at one point. And to some extent, you can see the God Hand as being the ultimate fight (of course with Griffith as the final person). The Skull Knight is probably also going to play a pivotal role in defeating the God Hand to exact whatever vengeance he currently fights for (with that wicked Beherit-forged Blade of Resonance).

I can see all this happening STARTING at the Elf Islands, where the first major battles between The Band of the Hawk and the new party will probably happen. I'm not sure in what chronology Miura will choose to resolve the domination of Midland, so I won't even stress my brain and make a stab at that one.

4. Feud Between the Younger Members - Potential Plot?
When Isidro and Schierke ran into Mule and Sonia, we can assume they will be the "children rivals" and a focal point in the story when the Band of the Hawk clashes with Guts Party. I can't really say what is going to happen, when it is going to happen, why it is going to happen, or anything else - but I think it's noteworthy enough and definitely something Miura is going to use in his story.

5. The Quest to Reclaim Casca's Memory
The most obvious for last. We almost get lost in the story till we take a step back and see the two main reasons Guts is trying so hard in the first place: to kill Griffith and save Casca, the woman he loves. This is truly a tragic and epic story about one man's struggle against all odds. What is left of his humanity has been consumed, weathered, and battered by the hardships of his journey. Whatever happens at the Elf Islands will surely be a huge turning point in the story, regardless of whether or not Casca regains her lost memory.

6. Miscellaneous Foreshadowing - The BEAST :chomp:
It was very recent (I forgot the exact chapter) that Guts had met with his inner Beast in his dreams (I'm pretty sure it was on the ship while he was unconscious). The Beast warned of the inevitable doom of Guts party and that when the time came he wouldn't be able to control the rage and inner-berserk. Whatever this moment is, I'd assume it to be the ultimate climax - some particular event to trigger his last switch and turn him into a reckless, raging monster. Yea I know, pretty vague...but it gives me the chills just thinking about when that time will come.

As for how many volumes are to come....thinking in retrospect at how long it took to complete The Golden Age, I can see at least another 20 volumes ... unless Miura wants to end at the 50 mark, which is perfectly acceptable. The story is already epic enough in its own right and I think whichever way Miura chooses to finish the series will be applauded.
That's my take on the future of Berserk. Comments? (I might've said a few things wrong, correct me if I did since this was all going off loose memory...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom