Heretics

What's the deal with these people?

What type of religion/cult are these Heretics and do they correspond to some real world medieval people (like the Holy See is similair to the vatican) or are they just a bunch of stereotypical satanic "evil" people that Miura made up? what's the deal with the orgies, the nailing of guts to trees, sacrifices and Goat heads? Who are their leaders and how far back in history do their rituals go?

Where do these heretics stand in relation to the Godhand and Idea of Evil? Are they manipulated by the laws of causality to fuel the Idea of evil the same way the Holy See are with their torture? How did this happen?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Their religion, if you can call it that, resembles Paganism to me.

As for how they relate to the God Hand, well, they're just one religious group influenced by them. I'm not sure you'll find much more concrete information than that, as it doesn't exist to my knowledge.

Also I might suggest that typically heretics are anyone who:

1.a professed believer who maintains religious opinions contrary to those accepted by his or her church or rejects doctrines prescribed by that church.
2.Roman Catholic Church. a baptized Roman Catholic who willfully and persistently rejects any article of faith.
3.anyone who does not conform to an established attitude, doctrine, or principle.

Not all the heretics in berserk are necessarily affiliated with one and other, however I will agree that a lot of them seem to represent a crude image of paganism.

The Berserk world to me is an over the top view of the medievil world.

The church on Steroids
Warriors on Steroids
heretics = Pagans on Steroids

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
I'm more curious about Magic in Berserk. The Holy See, Heretics, the Kushan Empire and a bunch of other elements have Real-World Historical Counterparts that influenced the setting of Berserk. Magic in Berserk is interesting as it seems to be based on a blend of Pagan and Eastern Religious influences. Miura obviously put it in as an important Plot-Element for explaining Berserk.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
I'm more curious about Magic in Berserk. The Holy See, Heretics, the Kushan Empire and a bunch of other elements have Real-World Historical Counterparts that influenced the setting of Berserk. Magic in Berserk is interesting as it seems to be based on a blend of Pagan and Eastern Religious influences. Miura obviously put it in as an important Plot-Element for explaining Berserk.
While some of the names in Berserk have real-world counterparts, that doesn't mean they're influencial on how they operate in the series. Many of the references are just that, superficial references to real-world counterparts, they don't help explain anything. This has been discussed many times, and for many pages.

And if you want to discuss the real-world coorelations of Magic in the series, please do so in a different thread.

I'm not sure if the heretics are based on any specific religion, but some of their sacrifice/do things with people's guts rituals are similar to Aztec rituals. I also noticed that the pagan goat god who had sex with the count's wife had a Star of David on his forehead.

Aeglos

Peregrine_Falcon said:
I'm not sure if the heretics are based on any specific religion, but some of their sacrifice/do things with people's guts rituals are similar to Aztec rituals. I also noticed that the pagan goat god who had sex with the count's wife had a Star of David on his forehead.

That's because that Goat-idol was actually a depiction of the Baphomet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baphomet). That's the tie to the actual "historical" pagans, if any.

Hey guys, this is going to sound stupid so I apologize but I have a question about the Horned God at the orgy in the cave. Is he living? Or is he just an illusion? Luca mentions they put drugs in the cook pot but how can she know that from watching afar? And if that's true, how is it that she saw the image of Slan too? Perhaps the hallucinogen comes from inhaling the smoke that the cooking pot lets off? So yeah, that's what I'm curious about... Whether or not the goat god is real or imaginary.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Abul-Abbas said:
Hey guys, this is going to sound stupid so I apologize but I have a question about the Horned God at the orgy in the cave. Is he living? Or is he just an illusion? Luca mentions they put drugs in the cook pot but how can she know that from watching afar? And if that's true, how is it that she saw the image of Slan too? Perhaps the hallucinogen comes from inhaling the smoke that the cooking pot lets off? So yeah, that's what I'm curious about... Whether or not the goat god is real or imaginary.
The goat guy was just a person who was the leader/figurehead who had a goat head on him. When the Egg Apostle stung him, it turned him into a real Goat Man.

SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
The goat guy was just a person who was the leader/figurehead who had a goat head on him. When the Egg Apostle stung him, it turned him into a real Goat Man.

But before Egg Apostle stung him, his penis already could transform into a snake, was that an illusion?

Top Bottom