Afro Samurai

Well if Berserk were to appear on American TV, it would definitely be on Spike. This is a station that doesn't shy away from violence. First episode is up on the main site. The action is pretty insane. Though for some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if Griff had nothing but "good" things to say about it :guts:

http://www.spiketv.com/mods/afro/player/index.jhtml

My friend was telling me about this show earlier. It looks pretty interesting, I'll check it out even though I haven't been watching much TV lately. It seems as if ol' Sammy blew his movie career with Snakes on a Plane.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
dwarfkicker said:
Well if Berserk were to appear on American TV, it would definitely be on Spike. This is a station that doesn't shy away from violence. First episode is up on the main site. The action is pretty insane. Though for some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if Griff had nothing but "good" things to say about it :guts:

http://www.spiketv.com/mods/afro/player/index.jhtml
There was a thread about this.. well not just for this but about other anime. It didnt look all that great... although my opinion would chance if he yells out, "There are mother fucking ninjas in this mother fucking castle".

Well it lived up to if not passed up my expectations. Gonzo has really outdid themselves this time. I remember looking for it a while back, thanks for the link. Did this really air in America before in Japan?

This looks like this anime might be one of my favorites when its all over.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
dwarfkicker said:
Though for some reason, it wouldn't surprise me if Griff had nothing but "good" things to say about it :guts:

I've cut out the middle man and basically stopped watching/listening to anything I don't already know I like. If I don't already like it, then I know WON'T like it.

Coincidentally, I first became aware of this nonsense from a banner ad I saw tonight; and yes, I was unmoved. =)

Update: I read Sam Jackson was involved, since I like him, I decided it was permissible that I check the episode, though more out of morbid curiosity at how epically horrid this could be (I like to have my sensibilities offended, too). BUT, shitty Spike's, which I don't like by the way, streaming video blows and won't work for me. So, I guess I'll never see the 'fro'd ninja in action.

And why is the logo in a mock Bandai font? That's supposed to be the font of an Afro-American Samurai? Nobody can do anything right anymore, even appropriate fonts I tells ya!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'd happily check it out, BUT:

AfrosamuraiFACISTS.jpg

Yeah, right, I'll go pre-order my DVD right away.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
"Griffith No More!" said:
Update: I read Sam Jackson was involved, since I like him, I decided it was permissible that I check the episode, though more out of morbid curiosity at how epically horrid this could be (I like to have my sensibilities offended, too). BUT, shitty Spike's, which I don't like by the way, streaming video blows and won't work for me. So, I guess I'll never see the 'fro'd ninja in action.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, right, I'll go pre-order my DVD right away.

Well, if you don't like getting kicked in the nuts then you shouldn't like Afro Samurai either.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Eh, I'll check it out if I remember to. The animation looks good enough, but this really could be a big miss. We'll see, I suppose.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I have absolutely no interest in seeing this show, despite being a fan of samurai anime and Samuel L. Jackson. It just looks...well...horrible. :griff:

Just saw the first Episode of Afro Samurai, Its.......SO COOL! A bit of Ninja Scroll & the Boondocks mixed together, :guts: I have very High hopes for this show!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well thanks, though I could have found it myself had I searched. :void: After watching I must say I'm unimpressed. Of course it's all style no substance, but apart from that it's really just a big collection of clichés. Entertaining but not much more IMHO.

chimla said:
Jackson was hilarious in the Boondocks. It's too bad his character was only in three or four episodes, he could have made the show alot more entertaining.

Season 2 is being made at the moment so he might appear in there

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.
After watching it though, I'm unimpressed... if your going for that style of anime I think samurai champloo is done much better (from what I've seen).

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Episode 01 wasn't bad... but it didn't blow me away. Style greatly outweighs the substance here, but the animation team did a good job, even if it was on the extreme side. I don't know if I'll continue watching this.. I usually give new shows a five episode grace period. If I'm still unimpressed, I just drop it. I'd be interested to watch this with Japanese voice actors. Some of the lip syncing seemed slightly off. Anyone know if it originally airing in Japan before it hit Spike?

The following is a spoiler, I guess...

• [hide]I'm assuming the dude with White afro is just an apparition of Afro's mind? Samuel Jackon is doing his voice.. unless its just another dude that sounds a hell of a lot like him. I say that because nobody else seems to notice him..[/hide]

It was okay it had really good animation and was really violent. Though the story was lacking a bit and not much on character development either. I'll watch rest of the series when it's on Spike mostly because it has good action scenes. :beast:

Just whole premise and that Samuel Jackson is voicing the main character in it "a black samurai with a huge afro" makes me want to see it even if it just for laughs and some entertaining action.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Afro Samurai finale

Well I must say this show kicked ass and with a each episode costing a mill too make I'm not surprised, and man number one was bad ass! I hope they order more, and if they can air that kind of violence on Spike then theres no reason why they cant put Berserk on there, definitely a anime to add to my collection

Top Bottom