Your view on a perfect Berserk anime?

berserker88

The Raging Demon
I was just curious on what you fans would consider to be a perfect Berserk anime??

First for me Hirasawa Susumu would have to return to do the music, secondly I would want them to release one episode per volume(like the hellsing OVA), and just like (the hellsing OVA) it would have to be exaclty like the manga, and finally draw/film it in HD widescreen, with DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1

Whats your vision of the perfect Berserk anime?

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Personally, I'm very happy with it just being a manga from now until the end of time. I don't know why people are still obsessing over another anime... yet, for the sake of the conversation, I'll make a couple of notes...

• 1. Staying true to the manga, page for page, eyeball to bloody eyeball.
    2. Each episode to be an hour long, just how you mentioned Hellsing Ultimate..
    3. High quality of production. I think Guts has six of seven different noses in the anime.
    4. Susumu doing the original soundtrack. "Behelit" and "Monster" must be in there, though.
    5. Original seiyū cast. Nobutoshi Hayashi, Toshiyuki Morikawa, Yuko Miyamura and Utsumi Kenji are must haves. I haven't heard enough of the Video Game seiyū to care about them....

Those are a few things... but as I've already stated -- if it never happens, I would be just as content as I am now :badbone:

That'd be pretty long episodes, unless you cut some corners. And if you cut corners... WHAT HAPPENS TO THE SPECULATION?

Which, you know, is half the fun of Berserk :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
2. Each episode to be an hour long, just how you mentioned Hellsing Ultimate.

Berserk volumes contain more content than Hellsing ones, so they'd probably have to last longer.

On that note, the second Hellsing Ultimate OVA was only 42 minutes or so, and I've heard rumors that it was really stretching it's budget (and it left out a lot of that volume, remember the events they only alluded to in the credits?). Now, I'm not sure of how much better Berserk would sell in that format (Hellsing doesn't do so well in Japan, but quite well in the U.S., and the Japanese are more willing to shell out money for one OVA per disc releases), but I can't see it happening. I would love to see it happen, if only to generate more interest in the series, but the financial side of it would a real sticking point.

Personally, I'm with some older posters (can't remember who), who wanted to see a series of Berserk movies done, specifically one dealing with the Roshinu storyline and the Black Swordsman arc in general. They wouldn't have to compromise the story, and the production values would be top notch. That's almost certainly not going to happen of course, but I really think that film would do Berserk's overall look more justice, as long as they didn't bring in CGI.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
I really think that film would do Berserk's overall look more justice, as long as they didn't bring in CGI.

Animatronics apostles? Puck too of course. And a cardboard Dragon Slayer. What of the arm cannon and repetitive crossbow, no to mention the people that get cut in half? This isn't the thread to discuss it, but I don't see any sense in making a Berserk movie without using CGI.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Maybe I'm not on the same page, but I thought he was talking about animated movies. CGI in most anime often comes off as tacky and out of place (with exceptions, of course).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
Maybe I'm not on the same page, but I thought he was talking about animated movies. CGI in most anime often comes off as tacky and out of place (with exceptions, of course).

Bph was talking about a "regular" movie in his second paragraph.

Indeed, I should have clarified that. An animated film would also work quite well, though, as long as they didn't bring in CG. :troll: And again, the Roshinu storyline and Black Swordsman arc would really fit well into an animated film, plus the money would most likely be there if they would go to the trouble. I'd say it's the most realistic option, as a full T.V. series would require an insane budget, and censorship would butcher it.

So yeah, I'm all for an animated film, especially if it was done a studio that still does "traditional" animation, albeit with computers (i.e. the recent Ghibli releases). Also, if they would actually let Miura be involved with it, possibly directing (such as with Otomo and Akira back in the day), provided he were interested, it could be
quite interesting.

I'm a little skeptical about an animated film. Lots of animated films these days don't see major release, and it'd be a shame to miss such a great oppurtunity to open the eyes of more people to Berserk...

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
bastard_swordsman said:
I'm a little skeptical about an animated film. Lots of AMERICAN non Disney/Pixar animated films these days don't see major release, and it'd be a shame to miss such a great oppurtunity to open the eyes of more people to Berserk...

Fixed it for you. You know how many Naruto movies I have seen get the huge amount of publicity for the movie theaters out here? Yea, tons!

I really do think a film, be it animated or otherwise, is the way to go.  So look, let's say it only gets released in art house theatres, L.A. and New York, and then straight to DVD.  That's still a hell of a lot more theatres (than none) that an OVA or t.v. series would get, the production quality would be better, and Miura could possibly be involved in a meaningful way. 

Plus, traditional comics fans are more willing to sit down for a film than an OVA or lengthy T.V. series. Not to beat a dead horse, but I can still remember being twelve or so, hanging out in a comic shop that played the old Streamline dub of Akira on a T.V., and being blown away along with most people there. A fair number of us were successfully turned onto anime/manga that way, and it became one of those staple titles that you show to non-anime people, while making money like crazy.  Also, look at the success Castle of Cagliostro and the other Miyazaki films have had stateside (Mononoke was played where I live, and Ohio is the middle of fucking nowhere).  I think that with its fantasy setting and well crafted plot, Berserk could be another one of those crossover titles, and the money generated could finance either more films, a well done television series, or a bigger budget for OVAs in the future.  And if it tanks, at least we get a well done film (as opposed to a cancelled T.V. series or a one shot OVA). 

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
I really do think a film, be it animated or otherwise, is the way to go.

I don't think so. A film would be too limited, in time but also in liberty. You couldn't possibly cover the story of Berserk acceptably in just ~1h40, and they'd definitely cut various things down. I've always thought that OVAs would be the best way to go for an ideal adaptation of Berserk and I still maintain that opinion. There's really a lot of things you're not thinking of here. For one, Berserk isn't a Studio Ghibli title. It's not a cute story for kids that everybody likes. Also, you're dreaming if you think the main target of anything Berserk isn't Japan. Over 5 times more Berserk manga is sold there than in the rest of the world. And in the end, it comes down to the fans. They're the ones that'll buy or not, because the "mainstream" audience isn't going to be suddenly conquered like it had never heard of the series. They have, they're just not interested for the major part, because it's not formatted to appeal to everyone (modern society, blah blah blah, not worth talking about here).

The examples you're citing, like Akira or Mononoke Hime, are special because they happened at a specific time and had had an opportunity. That's not something easy to reproduce at all. Finally, you seem to forget that in spite of its late broadcasting and low production value, the Berserk TV series was pretty popular. It made money. A censored version of OVAs broadcasted on TV with the real, full version being released in DVD could do the same. And even if 4 times less people buy 5 DVDs instead of 1, they're still bringing more money home for the producers.

Well, I meant a film covering a specific arc, so not ALL of Berserk in one film by any means (maybe a two hour film to cover the Roshinu storyline, or maybe the Black Swordsman arc as a whole). I just can't see them producing a 30 plus volume OVA series, if they release them on a 1 hour episode per disc plan. But, I suppose you never know. Regarding Ghibli, I was referring to a distribution deal more than the actual content, though they do go hand in hand (giving the deals to kids stuff)... Also, regarding the U.S. thing, I've introduced the series to my friends who are into LOTR and fantasy in general, and I know that most of that audience has never heard of Berserk, and normally aren't into anime or manga, but I think they would be willing to pony up some cash for it if it were marketed properly. But yeah, the Japanese love their OVAs, and it certainly could happen. I would just prefer a movie.

Anyway, I admit defeat on the matter, though I'll never concede the Schnoz muppet.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
For the record, I am a huge fan of Hellsing, both the orginal anime and the manga, I was not very fond of how the OVA was done. It's NOT word for word like the manga, and feels far to rushed, as did the manga, a problem the orginal TV series adjusted. (by making it a little TOO slow :judo:)

Plus the production values for that OVA are all over the place (much ike the TV series) while the overall style has improved, the characters jump constantly between drop dead gothic gorgeous, to flat, overly exagerated, awkwardly moving (yet wondefully colred) stick figures.

And come on! One measly episode per DVD? 3-4 one hour episodes per DVD and then we're talking.

I'm also satisfied with the manga, but come on, if they did make another Berserk anime we would all be in line for it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
bph said:
Well, I meant a film covering a specific arc, so not ALL of Berserk in one film by any means (maybe a two hour film to cover the Roshinu storyline, or maybe the Black Swordsman arc as a whole).

Yeah I know, but I don't think an average length movie would be enough without cutting bits here and there.

Locus of Agony said:
3-4 one hour episodes per DVD and then we're talking.

You're dreaming, that's never going to happen, ever. Two one-hour-long episodes per DVD would be the max, that's just how these guys roll.

Locus of Agony said:
I'm also satisfied with the manga, but come on, if they did make another Berserk anime we would all be in line for it.

Don't be so sure. I haven't watched the Berserk animated series in over 5 years, save for a short clip I made back then of Guts fighting the Snake Baron. A new series would only be interesting if it was very well done, and that isn't a very likely occurrence for now.

Femto the Raven

Of course, I was assuming it would be well done. :serpico:

Once in five years!? :isidro: Wow, I love that show a tad too much, I'd say twice a year for me.

CnC

Ad Oculos
The show just doesn't have the same appeal as the manga. I believe the last time I watched it was about 3 years ago or so. The animation is mediocre, imo.

Femto the Raven

VERY mediocre. But it's got a excellent soundtrack, and I guess I'm just a sucker for seeing my favorite graphic novel in motion. :void:

CnC

Ad Oculos
Locus of Agony said:
VERY mediocre. But it's got a excellent soundtrack, and I guess I'm just a sucker for seeing my favorite graphic novel in motion. :void:

I was going to say "extremely mediocre"; but that just seemed wierd.
But yea, the soundtrack was good as was the original voice acting. But really, thats about it.

Dirty Dog

CnC said:
I was going to say "extremely mediocre"; but that just seemed wierd.
But yea, the soundtrack was good as was the original voice acting.  But really, thats about it.

grayscale.
Why?
Much creepier that way, and most of Berserk is dark and such.
Also, I would like it to be true EXACTLY to the manga.
Aside from that, it won't matter too much to me, as long as the voice actors dont suck ass.

A OVA series would be nice but the main problem is that the manga isn't finishing anytime soon(unless they are planning to cover like 1 vol of the manga per year). Therefore a movie(anime or live action) focusing on a specific part(Black Swordsman arc is a good choice) of the manga would be a better idea. I m quite satisfied with the manga but it would be cool to see it made into a movie :beast:

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.
I liked the first anime they did...

probably something with good animation (something on the level of an anime movie with better animation than the usual series).

Better opening and ending songs that flow with the story.

good pacing... more accurate to the manga ( :badbone: :puck:)

Original or better voice actors for the anime

Finally sacrifice all the English voice actors of the anime to the Godhand so they can feast on their flesh, souls, giving the atrocity of their acting some purpose other than being a hellish torture. :beast:

Femto the Raven

Agreed. The only good thing the english voice actors did was the semi humourus outakes. :void:

I think if they focused on a new series in 13 episode arcs, it would
allow them (them being whoever decides to put down the cash and do the work)to put out a new Berserk series without commiting themselves to the whole manga.

If the first arc does well, good, make another, that does well also, good, make another, the next doesn't do well, cut their losses.

One thing about a new show though. I hope it wouldn't be too shiny. I just watched Le chevrille Deon (sorry for butchering your native French Aaz) and while the story looks interesting, and the animation is nice, everything looks too damn...well, shiny.

Top Bottom