Episode 282

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
Walter said:
Hahahaha, a demigod vs the fox! I wonder how that'd end ... Oh wait, no I don't.
serpicoDED.gif
It's not like he's some legendary hero you know.

Well, despite that fact he is actually a more skilled fighter than most every legendary hero in the Berserk universe I am definitely not saying he would or even could win. I think the reasons I want to see them spar are obvious though. Their styles match; appear before the enemy swiftly and behead him in a clean stroke by the time he sets eyes on you. Serpico's human ability is superior to Griffith's, and Silat's. With his control of the wind growing as well and his speed with it, I don't think its any strech to say he could cross blades with Griffith longer than anyone other than Guts or some of the stronger apostles. I also see Serpico as the most likely character to be completely impervious to Griffiths charms. Even if it means he must die, I want to see that fight happen.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not getting into this again. I really think your username and obcession with Serpico just maybe, now bear with me, MAAAAAY BE clouding your objective judgement here.

How do you know he's more skilled than "most every legendary hero"? Did you see him fight with Locus, Grunbeld, Gaiseric, Azan, AOLSIER, Zodd, Griffith or Skull Knight? No? Well, add onto that that Serpico uses a rapier, Griffith uses a sabre. So... what do they have in common again? Oh yeah, they both kill people fast. Just like Guts then, yeah? :guts:

Future comments on this subject should be addressed in a new thread. You can even quote what was said here so you don't have to start from scratch. I just don't want these hypothetical VS concepts crapping up the new episodes thread.

Why do people always leave out Boscone! I'm just saying, the man should have taken down our boy Guts, if not for Zodd, but he gets no love. Oh well...

Anyway, I'm thinking that soon Griffith will have control of Midland if Ganishka succumbs here; it begs the question, just what does he intend to do after taking care of Ganishka? Obviously fulfill his dream, but I can't imagine that this army he's amassing would be satisfied to just stop with the acquisition of Midland, especially the apostle members.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
The Awsome Brilliance of Berserk blinds me at every turn.
Thank you for the scans Aazealh.
I feel bad for Ganishka, I can just imagine Griffith calmly but insistently saying: "Ganishka . . . Who's your Daddy?"
I was wondering if we would see a Flash-back of his Pre-Apostledom life right in the middle of the battle. Looks pretty likely to me . . . That head wound looks a lot more nagging in his fog-form too. I wonder if Griffith will mention it?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Quotefest ahoy! :SK:

mahlernut said:
Loved the armor on the two new giants, and the art's just spectacular overall.

They're not really new actually, and they're more than two. We've seen them before in volume 23, but like now most of them were only silhouettes in the background. I'd like to get a clear look at the whole bunch, hopefully it'll be sooner than later.

Mad Angel Loki said:
I don't understand the whole thing Ganishka really seem doomed btw I'm really disapointed by him even if he still may surprise us especially after his last reaction...

Well you really shouldn't. All you people comparing Ganishka's reaction to Guts' or even Mule are skipping a VERY important point: that Ganishka's an apostle. It's not merely charisma, it's what flows in his veins. This body he has was given to him by the God Hand, it's not something he can resist. Zodd bowed down, like every other apostle, but not Ganishka. He's the only one defying his own nature, so on the contrary, seeing him resist even in his position rather makes me admire him more. This episode is showcasing Griffith's immense power over apostles, not Ganishka's weakness.

mahlernut said:
Thinking through the psychology of an apostle, it seems that the notion of repeating that moment of ultimate sacrifice demanded by the God Hand (and what would that be but a feeling of total, uncontrolled surrender) would be terrifying beyond all things.

I think he's just refusing to yield to Griffith, I don't see a direct connexion to his original sacrifice at all here. He's terrified of what Griffith's doing to him just by raising his hand.

Uriel said:
Still, the old fella hasn't given up the good fight yet! I cannot wait to see what Griffith will do now.

I'm wondering if he's not planning to reveal Ganishka as the monster he is to his armies to panic them and make them lose their sense of loyalty. Otherwise, I don't think Griffith would have trouble killing Ganishka right now. The scene in which Ganishka sees him through his astral vision makes me wish for a panel in 283 where we'd see Griffith's power from an astral standpoint. Maybe Ganishka's last sight or something. I find it a bit early for him to die (I'm secretly wishing he'll somehow survive), but then again he's come a long way since episode 230. What's Daiba going to do without him though? :void:

Serpico said:
I'm wondering if Griffith wants Ganishka subservient to him now

Well that's not the direction things are taking... Griffith played around with him, but Ganishka's strength of will allowed him to overcome it. Now they're not looking like they're about to hug.

prawnstyle said:
Im guessing the elf king will pose far more of a threat than the 'eterna emperor,'

Why are you guessing that exactly? Elves haven't proven themselves to be very threatening so far in the Berserk world. That king lives on a remote island, what threat is he, except an helping hand to Guts and his friends?

vlad said:
Oh, and how 'bout that elephant taming piece that Zodd pulled of, NICE !!

Yeah, that was to be expected though, he's been doing that with horses for a while already. :zodd:

Serpico said:
Well, despite that fact he is actually a more skilled fighter than most every legendary hero in the Berserk universe

Where are you getting that from? Can you cite "most every legendary hero" in the Berserk universe please?

Serpico said:
Serpico's human ability is superior to Griffith's, and Silat's.

What a ridiculously biased and unfounded statement. I'm not even going to reply to the rest of what you said...

bph said:
Why do people always leave out Boscone! I'm just saying, the man should have taken down our boy Guts, if not for Zodd, but he gets no love. Oh well...

Only because Guts' sword broke, people tend to forget that.

bph said:
Obviously fulfill his dream, but I can't imagine that this army he's amassing would be satisfied to just stop with the acquisition of Midland, especially the apostle members.

Well, that's a question I asked myself some years ago. After he becomes king, what do the apostles do? They start having their way with people? Covertly at first maybe? Logically, going by what we know, bad things are going to happen, whatever they may be.

Forest Wraith

Aazealh said:
Well, that's a question I asked myself some years ago. After he becomes king, what do the apostles do? They start having their way with people? Covertly at first maybe? Logically, going by what we know, bad things are going to happen, whatever they may be.

That would be both chilling and darkly comical. "Hooray for The Band of the Hawk! . . . Uhh, Err . . . Has anyone seen my Wife and Kids?"
All this mentioning of Griffith's Charisma though . . . What if we get a reanactment of the Fall of Gaiseric's Kingdom and the Branding of it's people? With Griffith as the Pied Piper of it all? That would be more like it in my opinion.
Although what reasoning and justification Griffith might use we can't possibly know yet.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
What if we get a reanactment of the Fall of Gaiseric's Kingdom and the Branding of it's people? With Griffith as the Pied Piper of it all? That would be more like it in my opinion.

But a branding for what purpose? And how? There isn't going to be an Eclipse anytime soon, nor an incarnation ceremony... As for the fall of Gaiseric's kingdom, it was only the capital that was destroyed, and needless to say we don't really know how or why it happened. I don't think Griffith will just sit on Midland's throne, and later that night clap his hand and *boom* everybody's branded/dead.

Forest Wraith

Oh Cripes, we've had this exact conversation before! Here I thought I was thinking of something completely original for once . . . Argh!
Anyway, I'd need to do some deep thinking and analysis of Griffith's Character to posit what he might do to F' Midland over. Since he seems to be motivated mainly be a lust for power and domination, perhaps he will drive Midland into a destructive campaign of Conquest against the rest of the Kushan Empire? Or even the entire known World? While the Apostles make their own brand of mischeif on the side?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
I'd need to do some deep thinking and analysis of Griffith's Character to posit what he might do to F' Midland over. Since he seems to be motivated mainly be a lust for power and domination, perhaps he will drive Midland into a destructive campaign of Conquest against the rest of the Kushan Empire? Or even the entire known World? While the Apostles make their own brand of mischeif on the side?

Well, it's very possible he'll want to conquer more and more, but currently I don't think we can really know what his true goals and motivations are. He's not the good old Griffith that wanted to be a king because that was the biggest thing he could think of anymore, now he's a demigod that can make the mightiest emperor on earth tremble just by lifting his hand. There's a lot of different ways things could go after Griffith becomes king, and to be honest I think we'll just have to wait and see it happen.

Anyway, coming back to the episode, I'm interested in Ganishka's mobile fort. Wondering if there isn't some sort of trick or trap in there, what with that corridor and all the statues. I don't know, maybe it's just me but if I had one I'd load it with defensive devices or a secret weapon of some sort. I'm also wondering if Ganishka couldn't escape through Silat's peeping hole in his mist form, assuming it can withstand the broad daylight.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
As for Griffith reactions, I'd kind of like it if he just said, "So be it." Turned around, and walked away...

Ganishka: "Wait! Come back! Don't leave me!"

Whatever it is, I'm guessing it will be something as much subdued from what we've seen so far (not just here, but in everything Griffith has done, it all just happens for him). Then again, he could always transform into a monstrous big bird and strangle Ganishka with his tentacle penises.
big_bird_side.gif

Thanks for the scan Aze. Things has turned toward Griffith side faster than I expected. Surely Ganishika will try to put up a good fight against Griffith but I just don't think he can match/ harm him in any way.

The question is : what's Griffith is going to do next? Most likely he will try to conquer more and more... but I am still missing the whole point behind this : let's say that he manages to conquer to whole world, what then? Is he going to simply sit on his throne and watch? Not likely. Something dark will rise from his reign but what? To that question, only Miura has an answer

Serpico

Aazealh said:
Quotefest ahoy! :SK:

Where are you getting that from? Can you cite "most every legendary hero" in the Berserk universe please?

What a statement. I'm not even going to reply to the rest of what you said...

Aaz I already answered Walter in a note since he asked not to continue the discussion here. I will cite them to you as well in a note if you like. Can't exactly agree my next statement is "ridiculously biased and unfounded" since I have seen Griffith, Silat, and Serpico each fight Guts multiple times. Its pretty well founded.

Griffith

Whoops, Serpico debate in full swing! Who needs a new thread, wasn't Serpico in this episode? Well, Griffith was, and he's only Serpico 1.0, the inferior prototype. Miura's practice project for the TRUE overlord; by showing us that loser Griff's shortcomings, he reveals to us the greatness of Serpico! =)

Anyway, I'll concede Serpico being the most skilled fighter ever of all time, why he could cross blades with the "untouchable" one as long as anybody (which might just be a tie for 0.0 seconds), if you can explain why he's likely the most "completely impervious" to Griff's supernatural charms? I mean, Guts seemed pretty resistant before, with good reason, and Schierke knows the score too, so far Skull Knight hasn't bowed down either. I just don't see how Serp is a more qualified candidate to resist, especially since he already knows Griffith by his fame and expressed admiration. I mean, I guess what you're basically saying is he's above God on Earth, right? Bigger than Jesus? Yeah, sounds like a fair and balanced assessment of his character to me, especially when he can avoid being hit by Makara snot.

Serpico

"Griffith No More!" said:
Whoops, Serpico debate in full swing! Who needs a new thread,

No its really not. I am done talking about it here since apparently the same rules don't apply, and you and Aazleah can continue talking about it even when Walter said not to discuss it further in this thread. If you make a new one I'll be happy to clarify and give you the facts.

Griffith

Anyway, I'd really like to hear what facts I, Aaz, and Wally don't know that demonstrate that Serpico is definitively better than Griffith or Silat was. Considering that Griffith defeated Guts outright once and managed to severe Zodd's arm, and Silat has tangled with Guts twice on an even playing field, and his talents are more versatile if not more skillful (how would Serpico deal with his projectiles for example?). Oh yeah, and Silat can catch arrows out of mid-air, but I guess that's talent, not skill, right? =)

Basically, there's no facts that definitively prove anything here. But personally, I'd rate regular old Griffith ahead of Silat and Serpico, because he managed to do something to Zodd only Skull Knight has duplicated, his only defeats came at the hands of Zodd and Guts, and because of his overall demonstrated formidability (I think people tend to forget this and remember how things ended for him). As for Serpico to Silat, I certainly don't think one could say Serpico is measurably better with any authority, especially since it's hard to directly compare them. And honestly, I think that's because Serpico is somewhat physically overmatched, as he is with Guts.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Made a thread to continue the hypothetical Serpico fight discussion here:

http://www.skullknight.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=7591.msg129979#msg129979

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Ok Im proud to say I finally got caught up from vol 15-32!! Now my question: Is Ganishka, based on what Griffith said another reincarnated God Hand??

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
berserker88 said:
Ok Im proud to say I finally got caught up from vol 15-32!! Now my question: Is Ganishka, based on what Griffith said another reincarnated God Hand??
Huh? No, why'd you think that? Griffith's comment was : "That is the instinct of those who have blood of the evil world flowing in their body," meaning, Apostles. Anyway, we've known Ganishka was an apostle for years now, ever since Locus referred to him as such.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
No, I'm refering to when(I think Ganishka is saying this) "As the master of we, the reincarnates, he is absolute, a untoucable man."

By saying this I thought that he was referening to himself and Griffith be reincarnated.

Judo

Midlands finest
no, he is refering to volume 27... but back then, ganishka was refering to all creatures that have been "reborn" through god hand when he was saying "reincarnated"... and that would be mostly apostles, for all we know.

Top Bottom