Schierke...in love?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
jepn30 said:
I just vomited in my mouth.
This must be your first time on the internet! :troll:

Anyways, we will find out reletivaly soon (in about 3 years or so) on how everyone will react when they arrive at Elfhelm.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
onii-chan said:
Nevertheless Guts and Schierke would make a cute couple

Seriously, you're saying pedophilia is cute aren't you? Funny. I think you meant funny couple, or interesting couple, or even entertaining couple. All these things it would be, but cute no. There's a difference between a grown man carrying a kid on his shoulders, and putting his hand around their waist.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Must be hard to be "trapped" inside the body of a child when your mentality is actually much, much older.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
Except Schierke is mild mannered and caring, while Claudia is a brat. :serpico:

And while Schierke's mature for her age, she's still a child, even as far as her personality is concerned.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Which makes her feelings of love towards Guts all that more awkward. Though she seems to be handling them better then one of the other "grown ups".

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Okin said:
Seriously, you're saying pedophilia is cute aren't you? Funny. I think you meant funny couple, or interesting couple, or even entertaining couple. All these things it would be, but cute no. There's a difference between a grown man carrying a kid on his shoulders, and putting his hand around their waist.

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here: One could easily claim that the relationship is already in that twilight zone between Childish Infatuation and something more serious. So it's bound to bring up those kind of conflicted feelings in more sensitive readers (No offense intended). It's how it's presented and how Schierke and Guts respond to those feelings that will decide if it's Cute and Moving or something Disturbing. So far, Miura has done well in portraying the feelings that Schierke has developed for Guts in a manner that enhances character development and their bond. It's all in what you want to focus on really. I mean, theres no way that Guts is going to do anything sexual with her.

Pistol

black heart with brown eyes
Now now she's just a child I wouldn't call it "in love" per se... And what other parental contact has she had aside from her mentor?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
KazigluBey said:
Which makes her feelings of love towards Guts all that more awkward. Though she seems to be handling them better then one of the other "grown ups".

It's not that awkward really, I mean what girl didn't go through such a phase at that age (whether it's a 6 year old telling her parents she has a crush on some family friend or a teen obsessing over a popstar)? It's really not unusual for teenagers or even young kids to "fall in love" with adults. It isn't abnormal and it doesn't actually mean anything, they always get over it as time goes by. So considering Schierke's life and environment, it's really not surprising at all that she'd "fall in love" with Guts. And similarly, I wouldn't be surprised to see her get over it after a while.

Forest Wraith said:
Well, I'm going to go out on a limb here: One could easily claim that the relationship is already in that twilight zone between Childish Infatuation and something more serious.

Claiming things is never particularly difficult, but what would that claim be based on in this case? For one, it's not much of a relationship in the romantic sense, since Guts never showed any interest in it. Those feelings are one-sided. Second, how exactly do you make the difference between childish infatuation and something more serious?

Pistol said:
And what other parental contact has she had aside from her mentor?

None.

Forest Wraith

Aazealh said:
Claiming things is never particularly difficult, but what would that claim be based on in this case?

That they've bonded, working together long enough to start respecting each others abilities: They want each other around and Schierke's own response to having others point out her crush on him shows that she is surprised at her own feelings. The context is different but it's the recognition that they develop for each other and seeing Schierke go from how she regarded him in Enoch Village, to understanding that he has many admirable qualities and her admiration of him.
When Guts first started allowing others to join with them, he was still having a hard time opening up to others and agreed to it primarily because he couldn't take care of Casca on his own. Eventually realizing that he's not alone any more. The dynamics remind me of how he and Caska's relationship developed in regards to The Band of The Hawk.

Pistol

^ But doesn't that make you wonder if some tragedy will repeat itself since he's now comfortable with almost... well a family?

Forest Wraith

Pistol said:
^ But doesn't that make you wonder if some tragedy will repeat itself since he's now comfortable with almost... well a family?

I suppose someone may die or end up crippled but I can't see Miura killing everyone off again, that was already a focal point for the series so doing it again would be gratuitous instead of a well-considered plot-point.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Forest Wraith said:
That they've bonded, working together long enough to start respecting each others abilities: They want each other around and Schierke's own response to having others point out her crush on him shows that she is surprised at her own feelings.

I'd say she's really more embarrassed than surprised (and it's all thanks to Ivalera).

Forest Wraith said:
The context is different but it's the recognition that they develop for each other and seeing Schierke go from how she regarded him in Enoch Village, to understanding that he has many admirable qualities and her admiration of him. When Guts first started allowing others to join with them, he was still having a hard time opening up to others and agreed to it primarily because he couldn't take care of Casca on his own. Eventually realizing that he's not alone any more. The dynamics remind me of how he and Casca's relationship developed in regards to The Band of The Hawk.

Actually I don't think that comparison is very good. It's true Schierke's first opinion of Guts evolved, and it's true Guts warmed up to his companions and now thinks of them as a family, but I don't think it's meaningful in showing that Schierke loves Guts deeply as opposed to the infatuation teenagers often develop for the coolest person they know of (especially when they've lived a secluded life). Of course things don't have to be simplified like this, it's not either black or white, but I'm going by your postulate here (in fact, I don't think differentiating Schierke and Farnese' feelings would prove easy).

Anyway, to come back to your comparison, I would also make a parallel with Casca's feelings for Griffith when she first joined the Falcons and before Guts came around. If this tells us anything, it's that high respect/idolization can be dissociated from love, especially when the person admired is unattainable. Basically what I'm telling you is that Isidro is totally gonna hit that shit.

Forest Wraith

Aazealh said:
I'd say she's really more embarrassed than surprised (and it's all thanks to Ivalera).

Actually I don't think that comparison is very good. It's true Schierke's first opinion of Guts evolved, and it's true Guts warmed up to his companions and now thinks of them as a family, but I don't think it's meaningful in showing that Schierke loves Guts deeply as opposed to the infatuation teenagers often develop for the coolest person they know of (especially when they've lived a secluded life). Of course things don't have to be simplified like this, it's not either black or white, but I'm going by your postulate here (in fact, I don't think differentiating Schierke and Farnese' feelings would prove easy).

I completely agree and I think that the kind of feelings that Schierke has for Guts are very hard to concretely define. For kids, the first crush on an adult is a very hard thing to define because not only is it so new, it's also heavily muddled up with other impressions, influences and feelings: It's the recognition of potential I guess is what I'm trying to get at, the first crush or infatuation with another person marks the point when we become aware of our capacity to feel romantic love. I just went with the development of Casca and Guts' relationship as a means of comparison to try and illuminate those elements, It's hardly adequate but...

Aazealh said:
Anyway, to come back to your comparison, I would also make a parallel with Casca's feelings for Griffith when she first joined the Falcons and before Guts came around. If this tells us anything, it's that high respect/idolization can be dissociated from love, especially when the person admired is unattainable. Basically what I'm telling you is that Isidro is totally gonna hit that shit.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! GUTS XSCHIERKE 4EVAR! :puck:

Pistol

"that Isidro is totally gonna hit that shit."

Ditto Ditto ditto. I knowed it when I seed it!

Aazealh said:
Basically what I'm telling you is that Isidro is totally gonna hit that shit.
I think my eyes briefly widened and I had to double check who the poster was (did the dignified Aazealh just...?) The effect = a chuckle :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
spineylamb said:
I think my eyes briefly widened and I had to double check who the poster was (did the dignified Aazealh just...?) The effect = a chuckle :serpico:

Hahaha, well mission accomplished then. :guts:

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Aazealh said:

I never thought of that comparison before. I guess its pretty similar, but I've never believed that Schierke's feelings for Guts were nearly as strong as Casca's own were for Griffith.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Okin said:
I never thought of that comparison before. I guess its pretty similar, but I've never believed that Schierke's feelings for Guts were nearly as strong as Casca's own were for Griffith.

Well obviously it's not exactly the same, and while Guts is clearly very dear to Schierke's heart, she's not worshipping him like Casca used to worship Griffith.

Top Bottom