Official SKnet Wii thread

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the Sega Master System and GameGear will soon be available in the Virtual Console (February). After all those years, I can finally play Alex Kidd again. :judo:

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Alex Kidd was ace.

I'm still waiting on a Wii, and Wii alerts is too heavily subscribed to for it to be worth it. They're always gone before you get there, and if they're not, then they're $500 bundles. Yeah, no thanks.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I read last month that Gameboy/Color titles may be added to the lineup soon too. I can't honestly think of many great games for either the master system, game gear or gameboy that I'd honestly want to spent money on though, except for maybe Metroid II and Link's Awakening.

Not willing to make a separate thread for it, but No More Heroes is blowing me away so far, and is ironically, my favorite wii game to date that isn't a remake/revamp/port of a previous game. If only there would be more, but for the moment I'm tallying this to Suda 51's insanity/genius. Hopefully there will be good US sales will show the Wii is plausible for this type of game.

Uriel

So, uh...

I GOT A WII! Not physically, but Amazon opened up long enough for me to nab one, and it'll arrive by my birthday! :guts:

Uriel

Unsurprisingly, Dairantō Sumasshu Burazāzu Ekkusu sold by the bucket in Japan.

More surprisingly, to me at least, is that DMC4 did decently too! Sure, it wasn't as high as that bloody Haruhi game for the PS2 of Monster Hunter (for, like, the 900th week in a row), but still, well done! I don't think I need to say which version of DMC was the one to do the best... this is Japan. Also, I couldn't help but notice that Smash Bros. was selling for ¥12,000 vs. the ¥8,900 DMC4 (before discount) on Amazon. Is Nintendo being a tad greedy here, or is it the norm?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
More surprisingly, to me at least, is that DMC4 did decently too!

Well it was really awaited, so it's not surprising at all.

Uriel said:
Monster Hunter (for, like, the 900th week in a row)

Nah, MH only came back in the top ten recently. It's still the best selling PSP game by far though.

Uriel said:
Also, I couldn't help but notice that Smash Bros. was selling for ¥12,000 vs. the ¥8,900 DMC4 (before discount) on Amazon. Is Nintendo being a tad greedy here, or is it the norm?

It's the retailers that raise the price because the game's in high demand. Nintendo's got nothing to do with it. It's like how Amazon raises their prices on the Wii when it's out of stock. The standard price is supposed to be 6,800円 as indicated on the official website.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
My Monster Hunter senses tingled for a second. :carcus:

Anyways, I almost got the wife cornered into succumbing into getting a Wii... Super Smash Brother X (Brawl in the states) could be the key! I keep telling her and pointing out when the commercials show up, "Look its ZELDA! You like Zelda!" I will win this battle! :zodd:

Uriel

Is it possible for US players to play JP players?

I'd love to kick your ass at a game I've never played before, Saiya ;)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Since we were talking about it earlier, here are the sales numbers for last week in Japan:

01. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) - 820,000
02. Devil May Cry 4 (PS3) - 205,000
03. Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut (PS2) - 117,000
04. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (PS2) - 114,000
05. Wii Fit (Wii) - 73,000
06. Disgaea 3 (PS3) - 55,000
07. Devil May Cry 4 (X360) - 40,000
08. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (DS) - 34,000
09. Assassin's Creed (PS3) - 28,000
10. Winning Eleven 2008 (PSP) - 26,000

Uriel

For some reason I expected Disgaea to be higher than that...

I always thought it was very popular in Japan.. maybe it's just the platform its on..

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
For some reason I expected Disgaea to be higher than that...

I always thought it was very popular in Japan.. maybe it's just the platform its on..

Disgaea 2 sold around 100,000 units on its first week (and 150,428 units total), but there were a LOT more PS2s then than there are PS3s now. Nippon Ichi games just don't sell all that much.

EDIT: Some pictures from Mario Kart Wii: http://www.gamekult.com/images/J000084640/

Uriel

Seeing as it's Wii orientated...

Wii Fit: North Americans on May 19th. Europe will get to see it even sooner, on April 25th. "w00t"...
WiiWare: To those who care, North American Wii's on May 12th. No date was given for other regions. Bothered?
Mario Kart Wii: Set for both Japan and Europe, where it will be hitting store shelves on April 10th and 11th respectively.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
WiiWare: To those who care, North American Wii's on May 12th. No date was given for other regions. Bothered?
Huh? WiiWare is already available, technically. I guess this means MORE wiiWare titles, like the new Crystal Chronicles?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Double post but it's for a good cause: Commodore 64 titles to be available on Virtual Console in Europe soon.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166469

500 points? Jesus... These things were virtually FREE back in the day. Are they worth more now because theyre collectible or some shit?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
500 points? Jesus... These things were virtually FREE back in the day. Are they worth more now because theyre collectible or some shit?

I think that's the reasoning behind it. Anyway, it's cool stuff, but personally I doubt I'll be buying those games given the price.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, I finally bought a next-gen console, er, well, still technically last gen, because the other day I got a Gamecube, 2 controllers, big mem card, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros, Mario Baseball, Donkey Konga, the GBA player attachment with boot disc and cable, all for $20 from my bandmate. This was a great deal, especially considering I already own half a dozen GC games I've picked up cheap over the years including Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, RE4, REmake, RE0, Metroid Prime, Madden 2003, and Twin Snakes. This does have next gen implications though, because while one could argue I'm now entrenched with Nintendo, whatever advantage the Wii's ability to play my used GC games gave it is now moot.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You need Pikmin. That's the one game I'm regretting I sold my GC controller for, since I still have it and could play it on my Wii if I only had the controller :judo: You can also play Killer7 on the GC, which Aaz says isn't bad.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
You can also play Killer7 on the GC, which Aaz says isn't bad.

Yeah, it's special but I find it great. There's also Eternal Darkness that I recommend to everyone, especially if they enjoy Lovecraftian stuff.

Oh and by the way, Capcom's shameless greediness is hilarious. Since RE4 sold well on the Wii, they've announced a Wii version of RE Zero, with nothing new other than Wiimote controls. I don't know how they can expect it to sell well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Does Eternal Darkness requires the classic controller to play on the wii?

I'm pretty sure you can only play it with a GC controller, same for all GC games. On the plus side, those can be found at relatively cheap prices nowadays, and they can replace the classic controller in most cases too (for VC games).

You know, with the ever since I discovered the backwards capability on my Wii, I've been looking at my GC in less dignity. Proably wouldn't even get me a new game for trade. :daiba:

Any how, I hear from the lastest on the Wii RE0 is only for Japan and no plans to advance it into the US. I personally wouldn't mind if it came over. I think it may actually be funner to play if they changed up the gameplay to be more interactive with the remote. Chances are they won't drastically change it all together.

Top Bottom