Official SKnet Wii thread

Aazealh said:

Who's all getting Mario Kart, since it is getting released soon? All I have to say is that it's good they are ditching the double-dash style. There are unlockable bikes, Mr. Gay characters & Miis can play too, not that I'll do much of that now. But it's a neat option. I kinda liked playing as Boo though

Rondo of Blood is coming out on the Japanese Virtual Console in April. Now we just have to wait until they decide to make it available in other countries.
This is great of course, so hopefully we get it as well. But again i am a huge fan of this game myself. It would be a good option for those who don't have a psp, though Chronicles is Superior.

The Legend of Valkyrie came out in Japan for virtual console this month as well as Rito Zone/Crest of Wolf, Kirby 64 & Metal Slug

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ill probably end up getting Mario Kart, but I don't think Ill have it on launch day or anything. I loved Mario Kart DS but hated Double Dash...

Yea same. I beat double dash in two days, then never even played it anymore after that. I still think 64 was one of the bests though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TriFrog said:
Who's all getting Mario Kart, since it is getting released soon?

Got other games to play, so I won't get it now. Probably later.

TriFrog said:
This is great of course, so hopefully we get it as well. But again i am a huge fan of this game myself. It would be a good option for those who don't have a psp, though Chronicles is Superior.

I don't know if I'd say that Chronicles is superior. I say that because I don't like the remake much personally, I largely prefer the untouched original game. Of course having SOTN bundled with Rondo is extra nice and the overall package is awesome since the original Rondo is unlockable, but for someone that can just pop in SOTN in his PS2 anytime he wants (like me), a straight port would be perfect.

Yea, really it's inevitable. When they game is litterally made to draw on the screen, porting to the wii is a good idea. I might actually beat it next time, or confuse it with the beginning of Twilight Princess.

I will definitely check that out as it looks awesome. I just got Assassin's Creed for my new computer, and will see how it looks soon. :serpico:

- C

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
NightCrawler: Most people have already played it, sorry :p

There is no way I'll be buying this game AGAIN for less responsive controls.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Haven't heard of that game. Looks... graphic. But I know that Wii Ware games launched this past Monday. I haven't bought any yet, but I think i'll pick up the Dr. Mario one.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mega Man 9 will be released on WiiWare. They're making it old school (NES-style) too. The other big news is that one of the bosses is Splash Woman.

Wii whiteboard mod

This has been around for awhile now but since I didn't find any posts regarding this mod on the boards I felt like sharing.

In the site below there are instructions, software and videos on how to build a cheap whiteboard using a wii controller along with two other nice applications. I feel this is the best place to put this tool since I think either building a cheap multitouch whiteboard or a cheap tablepc would be great for people who use tools like photoshop to color pictures. Also the multitouch features it brings should be nice for future free software distributions.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

P.S. check the other videos as well, :D and feel free to move the topic to another place if you feel this isn't the best area to post it ^_^.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.videogames.yahoo.com/feature/mario-creator-gagged-by-nintendo-brass/1237101

Mario creator gagged by Nintendo brass
What the legendary game maker does in his spare time is their business.

By Ben Silverman

When he isn't designing groundbreaking video games, Shigeru Miyamoto partakes in a variety of interesting hobbies. And Nintendo doesn't want you to know what they are.

Citing anonymous Nintendo sources, the Times Online reports that the man responsible for smash franchises like Mario and Zelda has been banned by Nintendo from chatting about his non-game interests, apparently because they "could be worth billions."

If history serves, they're probably right -- Miyamoto has a lengthy track record of converting his hobbies into lucrative games. Plant-based strategy game Pikmin, for instance, was born out of his love for gardening. After his family got a dog, the rest of the world adopted Nintendogs. Most recently, he revealed that exercise game Wii Fit was a direct result of the master designer obsessively weighing himself after turning 50.

Both Nintendo and Miyamoto have, unsurprisingly, remained silent on the matter.

Haha, and they fail to mention that The Legend of Zelda was based on his childhood explorations of the countryside. =)

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
The only things that gives me any excitement for Wii right now (besides the hints of Mario and Zelda) are the Conduit and maybe Madworld, other than that I may get Megaman 9 and the new Bomberman for wiiware.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
The only things that gives me any excitement for Wii right now (besides the hints of Mario and Zelda) are the Conduit and maybe Madworld, other than that I may get Megaman 9 and the new Bomberman for wiiware.

I'm waiting for Secret of Mana on the VC. It's been announced in September in Japan, so it's only a matter of time until it reaches us! I want my Secret of Mana damn it, it's overdue! And I'm interested in Gradius Rebirth as well. The other games I'm not really following since AOC occupies most of my time at the moment.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Secret of Mana would indeed be an awesome achievement forthe Virtual Console. That and it's FUCKING SEQUEL that never made it out of Japan. :griff:

But these are bright days. Super Mario RPG just got released on the Virtual Console. Pretty fucking sweet. This is one of the titles people had been demanding since the VC was announced. Too bad I already played through the game again about 2 years ago. I'll need to wait a while before uncorking the nostalgia bottle again.

Still, for those who haven't played it, I've just got one thing to say:

mariorpg.jpg

Mario franchise + Squaresoft in their glory days = must purchase.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Secret of Mana would indeed be an awesome achievement forthe Virtual Console. That and it's FUCKING SEQUEL that never made it out of Japan. :griff:

Oh yes, let us praise to the gods.

Walter said:
But these are bright days. Super Mario RPG just got released on the Virtual Console. Pretty fucking sweet. This is one of the titles people had been demanding since the VC was announced.

Yeah and guess what? It was released in Europe as well while it never came out here back in the day.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Oh man I'm sorry to hear that. I thought I had a rough childhood. :-[

Actually, i think these are the ones with a rough childhood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XR7LaJLLf8 ...and they want to make us pay for it.

About the "Secret of Mana" topic. Yeah, that alone would be the ultimate bliss of nostalgia. Although i count myself lucky enough to have actually played Seiken Densetsu 3 back in '95 (without any knowledge of japanese no less), i do place a lot of sentiment on part 2. Too bad i had to sell my SNES some time ago..damn. Maybe its about time to get a Wii already. An early xmas present.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
What the hell did I just watch? :???:

Creepy,ain't it? Nintendo press conferences are always hilarious to watch at home, but if you're actually taking part in them, they're really really embarrassing.
The best part was when people were actually waiting for them to announce the next "Zelda" iteration and it slowly became clear that they would only present the not-so-good party games line-up. After each announcement they would wait for the crowd to cheer them on, but there was only dead silence. If somebody would have screamed murder by then..i wouldn't even want to imagine what would've happened then.
Nintendo wasn't even present for GC 2008. That was a rather smart move, i have to say.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
Actually, i think these are the ones with a rough childhood http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XR7LaJLLf8 ...and they want to make us pay for it.
I was loling by the drummer part. Man, that was a real stinker.

Although i count myself lucky enough to have actually played Seiken Densetsu 3 back in '95 (without any knowledge of japanese no less)
Yep, me too. I imported SD3 back in the day. Had to shear off the plastic strips that kept my US SNES from accepting the japanese cartridge. And yeah, it was a pretty confusing game without any translation. Thankfully, there's a full translation ROM now. Ive played through that about twice, and it's always fun to jump back in with a new party configuration.

Still don't have a firm grasp on why SD3 didn't make it stateside. It was one of the best games Square has ever done. I'm guessing it had to do with how late in the SNES' career the game was released. By then, in the states, everyone was playing Crash Bandicoot and looking forward to Super Mario 64, I suppose. A "new" SNES game may have been perceived to be out-of-date, but man, what a gem it was to get lost in the mess of console transitioning.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Walter said:
Yep, me too. I imported SD3 back in the day. Had to shear off the plastic strips that kept my US SNES from accepting the japanese cartridge. And yeah, it was a pretty confusing game without any translation. Thankfully, there's a full translation ROM now. Ive played through that about twice, and it's always fun to jump back in with a new party configuration.

Still don't have a firm grasp on why SD3 didn't make it stateside. It was one of the best games Square has ever done. I'm guessing it had to do with how late in the SNES' career the game was released. By then, in the states, everyone was playing Crash Bandicoot and looking forward to Super Mario 64, I suppose. A "new" SNES game may have been perceived to be out-of-date, but man, what a gem it was to get lost in the mess of console transitioning.

Back then, Square and Nintendo made some rather shifty comments on why they didn't bring more titles to their western audiences. There are way too many titles that never really made it outside of Japan on the regular way (stuff like Bahamut Lagoon, the Dragon Quest series, many other Squaresoft titles) and i can't say anything about the quality of fan-translation projects on those games.
I would surely like to replay many of those old gems and it seems like that Virtual Console would be a good choice. Either that or search for some used stuff on ebay. I'm not really fond of second-hand products.

Top Bottom