Least Favorite Berserk Character

Judge this thread.

• This thread is a blight on all that is sane

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • This thread reminds me that my opinion matters. I hate that stupid Casca!

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks! This is my first time on here, so I hope I posted this question in the right section  :serpico:. Like many great stories, there are certain characters who really are annoying or just simply hated. For example, the not so loveable Jar Jar Binks, who played in Star Wars  :puck:. So I will ask you all, who is your least favorite character in Berserk? My least favorite character would have to be Griffith  :chomp:. He is a backstabbing traitor, who seems (so far in the story) to be getting away with murder. I hope Guts buries his sword in Griffith's chest someday. Anyway... reply back folks.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Let me the first to say, Welcome to Skullknight.net :badbone:

My post is based on the assumption that you read the manga. I doubt anybody would claim to have a least favourite character without having met every character that has shown up in Berserk. That would just be stupid =)

Zim Zum said:
My least favorite character would have to be Griffith. He is a backstabbing traitor, who seems (so far in the story) to be getting away with murder.

You're sort of poking a hornets nest with a stick there, mate. Many of the members here will tell you that Griffith is their favourite character.. and for good reason. Griffith is one of, if not the most intriguing characters in the Berserk universe. What you're saying is not entirely false, though. He is getting away with "murder" as you called it -- but, as you probably saw in volume 12, Griffith's dream is not achievable without human sacrifice. Think back to the vision: he needs to walk along the path of the dead to reach that castle. You also need to take into consideration that Griffith was chosen and chose to be to be this person. As for being a traitor? To a certain degree, yes.
But, I'm not going to tell to stop disliking him -- that's entirely your opinion! I'm just defending my favoured character :griff: So, before you fly your banner of hatred for Griffith, I would advise you to maybe try and focus on him when re-reading it? Also, maybe you should read Episode 83, if you haven't already. I doubt if it'll sway you, but it'll give you more of an insight into his... situation.

Now to answer your question: I don't have a least favourite character in Berserk. I have many I dislike, but it's hard to highlight a particular character that I despise above the others. I can tell you now that I have no fluffy feelings towards Donovan, Minister Foss or Federico Vandimion. If I was forced to pick between those three, I'd say Minister Foss. He was a aristocratic cockroach... but he got his comeuppance -- so what goes around, comes around =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to SK.net Zim Zum. There isn't a character I particularly dislike.

Concerning Griffith, he's the main antagonist. So him being a bad guy is to be expected really.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nina's probably the character I respect the least because of all her embarassing decisions and fuck ups. Well, then there's Zepec, the best father figure EVER. Hmm... tough choices.

Update: Yes, it's always been a love/hate relationship with me and Zepec :judo:

Dirty Dog

I hate Femto (note: I'm not talking about the Griffith that sacrificed his friends to accomplish his dream, I'm talking about the God Hand Femto that resulted from it), because he raped Caska and had his apostles hold Guts down and force him to watch. That's just too far.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Aazealh said:
Not quite as great as Nina and Joachim though, the real heroes of Berserk.

realheroesau5.gif

Way too much time on my hands now campus is closed :troll:

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
I never really disliked Nina, just started more or less disgusted with her by her (cough) affiliation with the cult, I thought maybe she was going to be another apostle, I became mildly amused with her after her spanking by Luca, then when she left, I decided she wasn't a complete waste, and hey, her plight was entertaining if nothing else.

That's the hard part about trying to pick out a least favorite Berserk character, their all great either great at being evil, stupid, or couragous, their all just too interesting to really dislike.

I suppose if forced I'd say Magnifico or Mule, but both of them where/are important to the plot and remain far more engaging then the facless, pointless, characters that make up a large portion of the cast in most manga. (or indeed written entertainment period)

Opie

The Sex Icon
I've always had a soft spot for Mule or any of the younger characters that have had to "grow up" fast. Anyway I'd have to say my least favorite would have to be the King of Midland. Ohh the Golden age, seems so long ago.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Dirty Dog said:
I hate Femto (note: I'm not talking about the Griffith that sacrificed his friends to accomplish his dream, I'm talking about the God Hand Femto that resulted from it), because he raped Casca and had his apostles hold Guts down and force him to watch. That's just too far.

Do you mean you like the way Griffith was before he sacrificed the Band of the Hawk? In the end, when it all comes down to it, Griffith and Femto are the same person. My least favorite character would have to be Gambino. Like Uriel said, Griffith is way too intriguing to utterly despise him as a character. I love to hate him, he's a great villain.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Poor Gambino... He was just a man of the times, he wasn't all bad. What about when he gave Guts the medicine?

My least favorite character was probably Mozgus, just because he brought back too many memories from attending a Catholic high school. Oh well.

Dirty Dog

Rhombaad said:
Do you mean you like the way Griffith was before he sacrificed the Band of the Hawk?  In the end, when it all comes down to it, Griffith and Femto are the same person.  My least favorite character would have to be Gambino.  Like Uriel said, Griffith is way too intriguing to utterly despise him as a character.  I love to hate him, he's a great villain.

There's a thin line between villainy and bastardness, and Femto crossed it when he raped Caska.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
This is actually a tough call to make. Miura makes his characters so multi-faceted that it's hard to Hate one specific individual because they have so much going on besides their negative qualities. I can't even really Hate Nina, I see her as just being a scared, weak little kid. I even pittied her when she was hobbling around the courtyard after falling off the tower battlement. Sure, if I were stuck with her in those kind of situations; I'd probably end up throttling her to death in a fit of frustration and rage: But that's beside the point.
Willful ignorance in a person irritates me more than anything so Zepec, some of the more choice individuals at the Tower of Retribution and Mozgus himself are at the Top of my Berserk Shitlest: Or characters I most wanted to see die a Horrendous and Humiliating Death . . . So far, I've gotten my Wish nine-times-out-of-ten.

Locus of Agony said:
I suppose if forced I'd say Magnifico or Mule, but both of them where/are important to the plot and remain far more engaging then the facless, pointless, characters that make up a large portion of the cast in most manga. (or indeed written entertainment period)

That got me thinking: Is Magnifico supposed to be Corkus 2.0?

puella

Berserk forever
Well, it's very hard for me to choose one. My least favorite character would be Midland's king. Such a disgusting desire of his! His last words "warm...th...warmth" give me goose bumps.

I can't say I like Nina but I think she's one of the most realistic characters in Berserk. I like Zepec and Gambino, who is definitely one of my favorite characters. I love the relationship sooo much between Guts and Gambino. And the page where young Guts was happy with the ointment that Gambino gave him and sat on the fallen tree trunk is my favorite along with the sex scene of Guts and Casca.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Poor King... The 100-years war ended under his reign!

I swear, we can make cases for the good in every character :serpico:

Dirty Dog

Walter said:
Poor King... The 100-years war ended under his reign!

I swear, we can make cases for the good in every character  :serpico:
But he also had the man who was responsible for ending the war tortured for banging his beautiful daughter. Ungrateful bastard.

Uriel reminded me of something. I hate Donovan :chomp: much more than Griffith :puck:. But I still can't stand Griffith. I will not be satisfied unless Griffith receives the same fate as Donovan. Which is death, by Guts' hands :guts:! Come on, Guts deserves his revenge, poor guy :judo:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom