Least Favorite Berserk Character

Judge this thread.

• This thread is a blight on all that is sane

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • This thread reminds me that my opinion matters. I hate that stupid Casca!

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great to see that I'm not the only one who finds Magnifico to be mildly irritating.

I personally don't have a "least favorite" character, all of them (including the most irritating) have traits that make them decent personalities in the Berserk world. There's really no need to over-simplify here.

Serpico

Farnese is the bomb diggity
I was going to say Mule. I thought it was pathetic how he cried and fell into submission to Griffith immediately. However re-reading his parts a little, he did charge 5,000 Kushan troops with a small band just to save a few commoners. In the end this question is too hard for me to answer.

Femto the Raven

The location of agony? The human soul.
Vargas was always interesting to me. On the one hand, whenever Guts became disgusted with him, shoved him around, or put him down, I had to agree.

He was ugly and pitiful, and I felt as repulsed by him and his whinings as Guts seemed to be.

But whenever Puck came to the old bastard's defense I had to concur, he wanted vengence for a great injustice and wanted to help whoever seemed strong enough to get it for him.

It was this attraction/repulsion for such a minor character that really got me into Berserk, here was something special. :void:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I won't say Nina or some other character that only appeared a few times.
So my vote goes to Isidro or Shierke (sp?).
Don't care two fucks about them. I know they have importance to the story, mostly the witch, but really, if they died (unlikely), i would smile.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I won't say Nina or some other character that only appeared a few times.
So my vote goes to Isidro or Schierke (sp?).
Wow, Schierke? Geez, you must be full of hate.
Don't care two fucks about them. I know they have importance to the story, mostly the witch, but really, if they died (unlikely), i would smile.
I'm starting to feel the same about you, after that little rant.

NightCrawler

Walter said:
Wow, Schierke? Geez, you must be full of hate.I'm starting to feel the same about you, after that little rant.

So much love.

I knew i was gonna hit soft spots in here. But hell, i just don't connect to those characters. Isidro is mostly comic relief (although some will deny it), and the witch is simply too "fantasy-like" to my appeal. I love the horror/fantasy in Berserk, don't get me wrong, but i also love the sense of mistery and the unknown. She's alot more present that i would wish for.

And being a major character in the infamous troll saga, doesn't help...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
... the witch is simply too "fantasy-like" to my appeal. I love the horror/fantasy in Berserk, don't get me wrong, but i also love the sense of mistery and the unknown. She's alot more present that i would wish for.

And being a major character in the infamous troll saga, doesn't help...
Man, why even bother following the series when you hate huge portions of it?

NightCrawler

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said i hated it.
Like the topic says, they're just my "Least Favorite Berserk Characters".

Femto the Raven

While I won't try to change your mind, aren't you kind of missing the point?

Berserk IS a fantasy story. Even before Schierke showed up there where plenty of demons, monsters, evil kings, miraculous swordsmen, etc. I really don't understand the people who decided as soon as a honest to god Troll and Witch showed up, Berserk was suddenly "too fantasy."

If the massive sword strapped to the main character's back wasn't a dead give away, Berserk IS and always will be, a fantasy epic.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Ugh, the "infamous trolls saga." Yeah, infamous for the stupidity associated with its readers; if Miura had simply called Trolls "daka" instead, there wouldn't even be an issue. Simple problems for simple minds.

And while I can understand people not liking the dynamic of the story and characters changing, or just change in general, it's pretty short-sighted and ignorant of the phases the story is going and has been through. If you think this is a departure, compare it to the Golden Age arc; compared to that, this is simply, and quite literally, a natural evolution. Imagine if people around here had to read 100 episodes of Golden Age via episode to episode release...

"Boring!"
"What happened to the monsters!?"
"When's this endless and meaningless flashback going to end!?"
"Casca is my least favorite character."
"Week after week of filler."
"FINALLY, a monster, but it was just a minotaur. Generic fantasy."
"Now it's just some high fantasy political melodrama."

Of course, it's everyone's favorite after the fact (probably because they saw it in the anime or read it in one sitting =).

Femto the Raven

Agreed. I think if Miura had just changed the name of those furry bastards, nobody would have taken issue with them. Let's not forget the Golem and Kelpie. :guts:

On the other hand, Schierke was and always will be (barring some unseen evolution) a witch and there is no getting around it.

Maybe if she didn't wear the hat and called herself a "Od seer"?

But now I'm WAY off topic.

Rereading the later stages of the manga now and I'm warming up (a little) to Mule mostly I see potential for him down the road.

But I still hate magnifico. :void:

NightCrawler

Locus of Agony said:
While I won't try to change your mind, aren't you kind of missing the point?

Berserk IS a fantasy story. Even before Schierke showed up there where plenty of demons, monsters, evil kings, miraculous swordsmen, etc. I really don't understand the people who decided as soon as a honest to god Troll and Witch showed up, Berserk was suddenly "too fantasy."

If the massive sword strapped to the main character's back wasn't a dead give away, Berserk IS and always will be, a fantasy epic.

You make a good point, but i call that Dark Fantasy. Those elements you've mentioned in Berserk couldnt be found in a kiddy fantasy manga, but Shierke would in a way fit. That's why i dislike her, she's just not 100% believable in this particular manga (comparing to the other girl who has some psychic powers, can't remember her name).
Maybe her character lacks a definitive pressure moment to see how she reacts. I need her to be routed more to the real world, afteral she's just a kid, and for a kid she does impressive stuff - she's like an encyclopedia for the magical world in Berserk, for me that ruins a bit of the mistery in the manga.
And yes, when you have a group with 2 kids (one mostly comic relief) and 2 elfs (reduced to comic relief), it can get anyoing.

And Griff, the trolls could be called whatever you want, it dragged and i disliked it. The kelpi, those villagers, the trolls, i couldnt care less (until Slann appeared). It ended and it got way better.
I'm not a simple casual reader, i just dont suck everything that Miura puts out as part of the "grand plot/scheme of inextricable storyteling".

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
You make a good point, but i call that Dark Fantasy. Those elements you've mentioned in Berserk couldnt be found in a kiddy fantasy manga, but Schierke would in a way fit. That's why i dislike her, she's just not 100% believable in this particular manga (comparing to the other girl who has some psychic powers, can't remember her name).

Subjective, arbitrary distinctions. Fascination with superficial elements; love of "dark" and the rejection of anything deemed "kiddy." Bad reading.

NightCrawler said:
Maybe her character lacks a definitive pressure moment to see how she reacts.

Very bad reading.

NightCrawler said:
I need her to be routed more to the real world, afteral she's just a kid, and for a kid she does impressive stuff - she's like an encyclopedia for the magical world in Berserk, for me that ruins a bit of the mistery in the manga. And yes, when you have a group with 2 kids (one mostly comic relief) and 2 elfs (reduced to comic relief), it can get anyoing.

Contradiction. Failure to explicate vague, subjective complaints. Superficial reading.

NightCrawler said:
And Griff, the trolls could be called whatever you want, it dragged and i disliked it.

Denial. Superficial reading. Susceptible to reading issues outside the story: scheduling. Failure to recognize context. Bad reading.

NightCrawler said:
The kelpi, those villagers, the trolls, i couldnt care less (until Slann appeared). It ended and it got way better.

Superficial reading.

NightCrawler said:
I'm not a simple casual reader,

See below.

NightCrawler said:
(comparing to the other girl who has some psychic powers, can't remember her name).
NightCrawler said:
Maybe her character lacks a definitive pressure moment to see how she reacts.

NightCrawler said:
i just dont suck

See above.

NightCrawler

Heheh i guess i'm more of a casual reader then i think i was...(concerning the fact that i didnt remembered a characters name).

Anyway that
love of "dark" and the rejection of anything deemed "kiddy
comment is just plain stupid. I love how you make assumptions out of your ass.
It's teh internetz!1!11 i won't bother getting into fights with overprotecting fanboys.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Heheh i guess i'm more of a casual reader then i think i was...(concerning the fact that i didnt remembered a characters name).

Anyway that comment is just plain stupid. I love how you make assumptions out of your ass.
It's teh internetz!1!11 i won't bother getting into fights with overprotecting fanboys.

You basically said as much yourself, I was just breaking it down. I don't see how I'm being biased or overprotective; I was simply pointing out inconsistencies and logical flaws in your statements, making you someone not to be listened to on the subject; even you couldn't disagree. In fact, you had to resort to petty name calling on the Internet because you couldn't make a valid point. =)

That aside, I'm honestly surprised you didn't more fervently disagree with my obnoxious analysis. :guts:

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
The mood-swingy diseased albino hands down. SHE DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE NAMED! :chomp: All the characters that she was associated with I really liked, but shes so damn EMO!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Okin said:
The mood-swingy diseased albino hands down. SHE DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE NAMED! :chomp: All the characters that she was associated with I really liked, but shes so damn EMO!
Albino? Nina wasn't an albino, if that's who you mean...

Isidro

We are the God hand, frowm which exists in puck
Is it ok to say that tentacle creature that killed Judeau during the Eclipse? Because I hate it so much that it's become my least favorite character. And yes I understand that Miura has made many obscure characters and that the topic of this discussion is the least favorite, and not the most hated. But I just thought that Judeau could have been killed by a way cooler enemy. Therefore, my least favorite is "the tentacle apostle" thingy.

least favourite? um...probably corkus (in before hate); he was just a useless asshole, he cowered behind nameless soldiers whenever guts fought something/someone big, and then acted like a cocky bastard as soon as they aren't on the battlefield, we never even saw him fight really, so i think its safe to say based on his cowering WHEN HE WASNT FIGHTING, that he sucked. i know im making an assumption,i dont care, i really disliked corkus and didnt care at all when he died.

griffith is another story, i do like his character and he is VERY complex, and whilst the image of him acting very neutral towards guts on the hill of sword is quite fresh in peoples minds; a lot of people forget how much of a bastard he was in volume 3 when the count summoned the godhand (re-read if you cant remember,i dont have my berserk on me ATM, but he pretty much takes the piss)

i guess he felt more towards guts when he was reborn in the childs body?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For the purpose of making my own argument, I'll look past your baseless speculation Carcus HID BEHIND anonymous soldiers. Don't let your personal feelings for the main character get in the way of appreciating someone he didn't get along with. Even Guts remembers Carcus fondly after the Eclipse, even if it is a heated exchange between them.

I've heard all these complaints about Carcus before - he's an asshole to Guts, boo hoo, and he wasn't a spectacular fighter. And sure, he certainly won't stand up to the standards of LEGENDARY HERO like Griffith or Guts. But come on, that wasn't his role. He was just a soldier whose spite and anger were directed towards the most unstable element of his army: Guts. And he wasn't wrong to be critical.

If his cynicism bothers you, keep in mind Carcus was one of the characters furthest down the road of achieving his dream. He'd had his band of thieves, lost them, and joined the Hawks, where he found something and someONE to believe in. Then, along comes this cocky guy Guts who kills your friends (remember, no one else seemed to care about Dan and Earl, who died that in first skirmish with Guts), assaults your leader and then becomes your equal in rank, all in the span of a few days. I wouldn't be too happy with the guy either.

Sure, the other Hawks don't give Guts a hard time, but they don't see the larger danger Guts presents until it's too late. And after Guts effectively ruins the Hawks, he comes back and acts like nothing's changed. Carcus' resentment of Guts is totally understandable. Hell, he's the only one who actually holds Guts accountable on a level most people in reality would. I actually find his cynicism refreshing among the Hawks.

So there, I've finally stuck up for him, a character I've always liked because he wasn't immediately sympathetic and happy-go-lucky to a flaw, like many of the other Hawks. Pay close attention to the bar scene in volume 8, then look back at Carcus' actions throughout the series. He's a really well developed character, and if you miss it, or don't care, you're missing out on a rich character Miura took time to hone.

Yeah. Carcus was a nice character.

But answering to the question... I think my least favorite character would be Isidro...
Quoting Evarella: "he's just a monkey"

But then again, he isn't that bad, he got the "will to learn" and such.

Hi_There

Born to be MILD!
Got to be Gennon.

Though I admire Muira for completely illustrating Gennon's discusting features to match his discusting lifestyle. That final grotesque look he had just before he was killed and when Griffith told him that he had been used was just disturbing.

Gurifisu

Sweet dreams, dear child of god.
I don't have a character I dislike. When I do dislike a character it's usually because their so poorly written. Many manga's cause me to hate all the characters with an over zealous rage that makes me want to whip myself into a lethargic state... then stand under a waterfall crying.

Simply because the characters lack any emotional sincerity, reality, originality, or honesty. Frankly, I don't find that in Berserk.

Oh, and NightCrawler I think you may just be critiquing to make yourself feel smarter... putting yourself on a pedestal (hypocritical, maybe)... Berserk is basically the standard for which greatness in manga is often judged... sure it isn't always pouring 1894 vineyards, but it always has a quality about it... their are much worse manga's to criticize. More deserving of that, I don't swallow crap.

Plus, when you criticize berserk you have to have a belief that is founded in solid evidence, and is well thought out... or else it's to easy to tear it to shreds.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
What I like about Berserk is that when characters have disgusted me, it was Miura's intention. I can understand and appreciate almost every character in this way.

Least favorite before the eclipse would have to be... Gaston. because I don't think we saw much personality or should I say individuality in him. All I know about him now is that he was very loyal to the hawks, especially the raiders, and he was once a tailor (right?) in Midland, and his english voice actor should have made a DBZ reference at some point in the anime dub. :troll:

But when it comes to current or recent characters, I would say Isidro. :isidro: I like his personality and character design, but I just need more backstory to understand what motivated him to leave a comfortable home and parents? Well, I'm assuming by saying "comfortable". All we know about his past is from his brief conversion with the old man from the town that was ravaged by trolls. To me, he seems pretty selfish and stupid to leave a happy life simply for glory. I've always felt that characters that seek nothing but fame are a little pathetic. He wants to be the best swordsman, but he has no prior relationship to swordsmanship other than that he thinks its cool. Though all this could be cleared up with a little more backstory. I guess, I would be satisified with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom