Least Favorite Berserk Character

Judge this thread.

• This thread is a blight on all that is sane

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • This thread reminds me that my opinion matters. I hate that stupid Casca!

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okin said:
What I like about Berserk is that when characters have disgusted me, it was Miura's intention. I can understand and appreciate almost every character in this way.

Least favorite before the eclipse would have to be... Carcus. because I don't think we saw much personality or should I say individuality in him. All I know about him now is that he was very loyal to the hawks, especially the raiders, and he was once a tailor (right?) in Midland, and his english voice actor should have made a DBZ reference at some point in the anime dub. :troll:

But when it comes to current or recent characters, I would say Isidro. :isidro: I like his personality and character design, but I just need more backstory to understand what motivated him to leave a comfortable home and parents? Well, I'm assuming by saying "comfortable". All we know about his past is from his brief conversion with the old man from the town that was ravaged by trolls. To me, he seems pretty selfish and stupid to leave a happy life simply for glory. I've always felt that characters that seek nothing but fame are a little pathetic. He wants to be the best swordsman, but he has no prior relationship to swordsmanship other than that he thinks its cool. Though all this could be cleared up with a little more backstory. I guess, I would be satisified with that.

thats a good point, isidro has had the least backstory of anyone in the group so far...i doubt it would be much more than "a swordsman saves him from X when his parents chose not to, so he admires the swordsman more"

PS: you are thinking of gaston

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Okin said:
What I like about Berserk is that when characters have disgusted me, it was Miura's intention. I can understand and appreciate almost every character in this way.

Least favorite before the eclipse would have to be... Carcus. because I don't think we saw much personality or should I say individuality in him. All I know about him now is that he was very loyal to the hawks, especially the raiders, and he was once a tailor (right?) in Midland, and his english voice actor should have made a DBZ reference at some point in the anime dub. :troll:

No, that was Gaston, Carcus was the leader of a band of thieves . . . Did you even read the thread before you made your post? I'm afraid that your critique of Isidro's character is also just as lacking in insight.

ZoddTheImmortal

I Seek Only The Strong
Casca uugggghhhhh.... Alot of people are gonna disagree with me but I hate her with a passion. I hated her from the first volume. She was a cocky little bitch didn't give guts any respect and now she has the mental state of a child and guts does all this shit for her weak minded ass and she doesn't even know. I know it's not her fault she became mentally unstable :???: but I'm just saying.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Well without Casca, Guts would be quite a bit different, and since I don't see anyone here saying they hate Guts, she's obviously played her part pretty well. Plus she's a woman living in a man's world and trying to survive, so you have to give her a break for being a bitch from time to time. :guts:

I'd have to say the people I care for the least are those that lick Griffith's boot heels post-Eclipse. Mule, etc., etc. But then again that type of personality just bugs me in general.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Dear god I'm sorry about the Gaston/Carcus thing. It was late alright...ok so it wasn't late.

Forest Wraith said:
No, that was Gaston, Carcus was the leader of a band of thieves . . . Did you even read the thread before you made your post? I'm afraid that your critique of Isidro's character is also just as lacking in insight.

Ok, I'll bite. Anyone willing to enlighten me on what depth Isidro has, or what insight I lack. I'm asking you to criticize me here. And could Forest maybe say something constructive? :puck:

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Isidro's character is necessary for the group dynamic, with his particular personality, though a different character design could have been used and interchanged with him. He's comic relief, good or not depends upon the reader. I haven't found a reason to find him unnecessary or annoying. He and Puck work well together.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Okin said:
Dear god I'm sorry about the Gaston/Carcus thing. It was late alright...ok so it wasn't late.

Ok, I'll bite. Anyone willing to enlighten me on what depth Isidro has, or what insight I lack. I'm asking you to criticize me here. And could Forest maybe say something constructive? :puck:

Sorry, It's just frustrating when it seems like people are missing obvious plot points. His character gets pretty much fully fleshed out at the Tower of Retribution: He's crass and almost too arrogant but he's also Brave and incredibly resourceful. We get a brief note on his back-story when he is fighting The Heretics in the Cave. Basically, he set out on his own and managed to survive the perils of the outside World before he met Guts. No mean feat.
Not only is he capable of contributing during combat, He also saved Casca's life at least three times at Albion. The dynamic between him and the other characters is important too: he's another person for Guts to display his humanity in front of by being a better Father-figure to him then any that he himself ever had at that age.

Hello!! This Is my first time here and as for my least favorite character i think it would be Carcus because all he does is whine and hes really annoying.

S

smoke

thesilverknight said:
Hello!! This Is my first time here and as for my least favorite character i think it would be Carcus because all he does is whine and hes really annoying.

Welcome aboard.

I disliked Carcus the first time I read through the manga, too. But upon a second reading, I kind of realized that he was important. He's the voice of dissent when everyone's praising Guts, and is probably a big part of why Guts left the Hawks- to prove that he could be, as Carcus criticized, "[something] compared to Griffith".

My least favorite character is Everella. Worthless. The female Puck who brings ___ to the group.

(Prepares for a flame blast crit)

CnC

Ad Oculos
smoke said:
The female Puck who brings ___ to the group.

how fuckin' DARE you!??? :chomp:

nah. She's useful. She helped the group out by helping farnese snap Shierke out of it when she lost control during the flooding of Enoch. Plus she's brought a lot of facts to the table regarding elves in general. (just off the top of my head).

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'm going to have to say Skull Lord.

shhh

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
smoke said:
My least favorite character is Everella. Worthless. The female Puck who brings ___ to the group.

The Happy End wouldn't be complete if Puck didn't marry Ivalera. More seriously, I'd say she does have her usefulness if you look at individual episodes. It's just been rather discreet so far.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I've just seen them more as feuding brother and sister (not literally siblings) with Puck usually getting the short end of the stick. I guess anything is possible though.

Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster.

When I saw this thread, the first character to come to mind is Farnese's mother. Thinking back on it, as I recall her only appearance in the story laid out all the reasons for Farnese's early emotional immaturity. Of course her father Vandimion is an asshat- I think everyone would at least partially agree on that point. But we can at least understand why he would be negligent in his duties as a father, with the crown of his financial empire and ambitions weighing heavy and all. Even through the backstory Miura gives for Serpico and Farnese, Lady Vandimion is not mentioned once, if I recall correctly. I remember being somewhat disgusted with Farnese upon her arrival in the story for her immaturity and bratty behavior, but upon meeting her mother on the bridge at the Vandimion estate, I felt like her character was more validated by her mother's admittance of her own neglect of her daughter. Her mother represents a huge failure as a parent, to my mind, even exceeding that of Gambino's failure to Guts.

However, hating Lady Vandimion made it easier to identify with Farnese, and her personal growth prior and since has made her one of my favorites. I know that Mommy dearest might not appear again in Berserk for many more volumes (if at all), but once was more than enough. What a bitch.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Ok, I see what everyone's saying. I agree that Isidoro is useful and reliable, but children don't just leave home on a whim. Not even someone as hardened by battle as Guts would have left his original mercenary band if he didn't need to right? I just feel that Isidoro had to have left home for other more serious reasons than simply hoping to gain fame and fortune as the world's greatest swordsman. I really expect more to be said about Isidoro because he is often more than just comic a relief character like Puck. Then again, Puck has had somewhat serious moments before as well, his talk with the Slug Count's daughter.

D

Duststorm

My least favorite Berserk Character is Griffith. What he did to Guts was worse then what gabino did to him.
Griffith betrayed everyone after they saved him from the dungeons and he offer them as sacrifice to the demons.As Guts tried to save him, his comrades were being eaten by demons, then Guts had to see comrades corpses and watch gaston die. Then force to watch Griffith rape his girlfriend. Guts tried to save her but he failed and lost one arm and eye. After that he finds out that casca went insane, his son is now a deformed demon and has to fight against evil spirits every night. Griffith destroyed or ruined everything Guts every cared about.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
You can't even appreciate him for the sake of the story? Poor Jodo just really deserved to live, eh? :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
story appreciation doesn't apply to this thread
Yeah, I've never understood this thread. I don't see how you can take "story appreciation" out of the equasion. As Aaz said earlier in the thread, Griffith is the main antagonist. If he was 100% lilkable, he'd be a pretty lame antagonist. I guess I just don't see how people take it so personally.

P

Pencil-smith

CnC said:
story appreciation doesn't apply to this thread
I don't know about that. Troughout the thread some people, although a minority, evaluated a character by looking at his/her role in the storytelling rather than his/her behavior.

Personally, I don't think there are many characters who "contribute nothing" to the story. The Lord of Koka Castle was perhaps one of those few. He got casted just to show us how badass Guts is, or how evil apostles are.

As for personality, I can't stand Gennon. Incompetent, self-serving, disrespectful towards his men, and a pedophile to boot. Adon is an asshole too, but he gets redeemed by the fact he's hilarious.

And Walter, we care because we love. :griff:

D

Duststorm

Walter said:
Yeah, I've never understood this thread. I don't see how you can take "story appreciation" out of the equasion. As Aaz said earlier in the thread, Griffith is the main antagonist. If he was 100% lilkable, he'd be a pretty lame antagonist. I guess I just don't see how people take it so personally.

This tread is about your own opinion of Berserk characters, not about their role in the story. Griffith is a very important character for plot development and the story would be pointless without him but you can still dislike his character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom