Least Favorite Berserk Character

Judge this thread.

• This thread is a blight on all that is sane

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • This thread reminds me that my opinion matters. I hate that stupid Casca!

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Pistol said:
Actually it was on a couple websites (not specific ones, more like anime watching domains)

Ah, I see. The cream of the crop.

Pistol said:
But if you think about it he really is sort of a tool for comedy relief and clarifying Guts thoughts

Personally I'd say that he's simply an interesting character, even without bringing up those points.

Pistol said:
Guts became more complex and through his experiences he seems to have molded himself into a more relateable person than "I love hurting people!" guy.

Yeah, the story has been steadily evolving and gaining depth ever since the first volume. However I don't think Guts was at any point merely an "I love hurting people!" guy.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
Aazealh said:
Ah, I see. The cream of the crop.

He was voted King of SaiGAR 2007: A contest that revolved around selecting an anime character that best embodied the concept of Virtus, the contest was called off this year for the best: Since the guy who created SaiGAR realized that there wasn't anyone who embodied the concept more than Guts... Okay, asinine internet politics were involved too but I'm sticking with that answer myself.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, the story has been steadily evolving and gaining depth ever since the first volume. However I don't think Guts was at any point merely an "I love hurting people!" guy.

I think my favorite thing about the first three volumes is the well-crafted subtext that Guts is a much deeper character than our initial impressions of him. Even before we first see him cry, it's conveyed so well that he is in fact acting the way he does for complex reasons. We have Puck to thank for pointing us in that direction too.

slayer81

Legendary pimp, slayer of evils
Forest Wraith said:
We have Puck to thank for pointing us in that direction too.
I was just thinking of this yesterday! Like Rickert said, we have Puck to thank for keeping Guts, well, GUTS. Puck has really been one of the biggest factors in allowing Guts to cling to his sanity.

Forest Wraith

Evil is born when we lose power over ourselves.
slayer81 said:
I was just thinking of this yesterday! Like Rickert said, we have Puck to thank for keeping Guts, well, GUTS. Puck has really been one of the biggest factors in allowing Guts to cling to his sanity.

While that's true, I meant my observation in the context of how Puck questions and observes Guts' actions early on, this is Miura's way of saying through Puck: "Yes, there is more to his character than this and all shall be revealed in time."

X

Xem

Hi,

I've been frequenting this forum for years without ever posting, but I simply can't believe no one listed Adon as their least favorite.

My main gripe is I feel his character was a tad too annoying, and not funny, to have such a big role in the series. I mean really, couldn't Miura have included a few more opponents for the Hawks? Too much coincidence that they ran into him so frequently.

Anyway, hi skullknight.net! Please be gentle, I know I'm not brightest bulb in the bunch. :???:

Deci said:
Anyway, hi skullknight.net! Please be gentle, I know I'm not brightest bulb in the bunch. :???:
Yeah, same here. :???: I try to throw in disclaimers here and there in my posts as un-annoyingly as possible. XD Even though I'm pretty new myself, hey back!

And to throw in my two cents, I totally agree with whoever brought up Griffith's torturer/jailkeeper. At the time I felt what that little peon got was too good for him, but considering what did happen to him, I guess that's kind of sick to say :(

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:

Hey there, welcome to the forum. :serpico:

Deci said:
I've been frequenting this forum for years without ever posting, but I simply can't believe no one listed Adon as their least favorite.

My main gripe is I feel his character was a tad too annoying, and not funny, to have such a big role in the series. I mean really, couldn't Miura have included a few more opponents for the Hawks? Too much coincidence that they ran into him so frequently.

I believe you have allowed yourself to be misled by the role Adon has in the animated series, as opposed to what it is in the manga. Adon only confronts the Falcons in three occasions in the manga, two of which are very closely related. The first time is when Casca and Guts fall off the cliff. The second time is when he ambushes them as they're trying to join up with the Falcons. And the third time is during the battle for Doldrey, where he finally meets his demise. I don't think it was too much considering the circumstances, and I'd like to point out that while not always completely serious, he's a far less foolish opponent in the manga than he is in the animated series.

To be truthful, I think you'd be surprised at the number of people who agree that the focus he received in the anime was inappropriate (especially since Silat and the Bakiraka weren't included). Another reason to forsake it altogether.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Aazealh said:
I believe you have allowed yourself to be misled by the role Adon has in the animated series, as opposed to what it is in the manga. I don't think it was too much considering the circumstances, and I'd like to point out that while not always completely serious, he's a far less foolish opponent in the manga than he is in the animated series.

To be truthful, I think you'd be surprised at the number of people who agree that the focus he received in the anime was inappropriate (especially since Silat and the Bakiraka weren't included). Another reason to forsake it altogether.

I think a lot of the misconceptions must come from vital scenes missing within the anime. Most of those people have probably only seen fragments of the actual manga. Not to insult the anime, but it had to leave out a great deal of the plot.

X

Xem

Yeah, to be honest I've watched the anime a good 10+ times throughout, and only read the manga about 4 times start to finish, often skipping through the beginning parts without paying as much attention. Shame on me, I know.

:puck:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Okin said:
I think a lot of the misconceptions must come from vital scenes missing within the anime. Most of those people have probably only seen fragments of the actual manga. Not to insult the anime, but it had to leave out a great deal of the plot.

Well the additional scenes with Adon weren't needed, so it's debatable whether they really had to leave so much out. It was their choice to replace valuable content with worthless filler.

Deci said:
Yeah, to be honest I've watched the anime a good 10+ times throughout, and only read the manga about 4 times start to finish, often skipping through the beginning parts without paying as much attention. Shame on me, I know.

Shame on you indeed. :miura:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
That's a pretty shallow assessment of his character, but sure, that is one aspect of him. Thanks for sharing that gem :schierke:

Walter said:
That's a pretty shallow assessment of his character, but sure, that is one aspect of him. Thanks for sharing that gem :schierke:

I guess my first immpression of him lead to my whole impression on Corkus, but the guys a loser trying to kill and rob Guts when they first met and getting each of his friends injured or killed sending them in first. After he gets angry at Guts for kicking their butts when it was his idea to start it first. : /

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Rotk said:
I dun like Corkus, he's an ass to Guts.
Rotk said:
I guess my first immpression of him lead to my whole impression on Corkus, but the guys a loser trying to kill and rob Guts when they first met and getting each of his friends injured or killed sending them in first. After he gets angry at Guts for kicking their butts when it was his idea to start it first. : /
You shouldn't go on first impressions when it comes to Berserk. So far your knee-jerk reactions have been: Farnese is cute and unchanged, and Carcus is an ass to Guts. There are really more facets to these characters than you seem to have grasped.

Anyway, I'm not going to defend his leadership ability or combat choices. That's not where his value is. Carcus is the outsider's perspective. He's the counterbalance to all the glad-handing everyone else gives Guts in The Hawks. In my opinion, he's Miura's most well-developed 'everyman' in the series, and because of his modest abilities, is extremely unappreciated by casual readers.

In The Hawks, he's the only one who questions Guts' role and his foolhardy ambition to rise to Griffith's level. He puts him in his place, for just that moment. He's the only one who honestly and unpretentiously expresses his feelings about Guts after he'd announced his intent to leave the Hawks. Probably better advice in the end than the good intentions of Judo.

And if you'll notice, Guts doesn't bear him any ill will, even when Carcus tells him to "watch his back" on the battlefield. Reread volume 13, episode 90: "Sprint." After all the Hawks are dead, Carcus is one of the first that Guts remembers, and the guy gets several panels dedicated to him. Clearly he was more important to Guts than you give him credit for. I think it shows that Guts valued him if only for criticizing him when no one else would.

I think most people turn their noses up at Carcus because he's the guy who questions and puts down the main character, hurting their feelings in the process. Boo hoo hoo. Cry me a river. :judo:

carcus-done.jpg

You got a lot of good points there but even if he's the only one of the very few people to challenge Guts he's still not a really nice guy imo, but then it's only extreme ppl like Guts, being use to killing or being killed can forgive Corcus after they first met.

Corkus is a character that is extremely practical. He goes from poor thief to respected knight, with money, security and all that implies. Can't blame a guy who doesn't want his life to be a constant struggle.

I'd also argue he's the most well developed member of The Hawks (outside of Guts and Griffith, of course). He's definitely the most relatable to me when the The Hawks are trying to survive and he just thinks it's all a really bad dream (I'd probably be thinking the same about the whole situation), even getting to the point of forcing himself to believe such and in effect, giving in to this "dream" by surrendering himself to the female apostle. He's also pretty funny in some parts of the manga too. Honestly, Carcus gets a lot of flack where it's not needed.

Funny that the Medusa style apostle is the first apostle in the series to die.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Spencer said:
I'd also argue he's the most well developed member of The Hawks (outside of Guts and Griffith, of course).

Girls don't count I see. Misogynist!

Henry Spencer said:
Funny that the Medusa style apostle is the first apostle in the series to die.

How is that apostle anything like Medusa? I take it you are relating the fact that Medusa was a beautiful woman before being turned into a monster by a goddess, but she didn't transform at will and her monstrous aspect was completely unlike that of the apostle in question.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:

How is that apostle anything like Medusa? I take it you are relating the fact that Medusa was a beautiful woman before being turned into a monster by a goddess, but she didn't transform at will and her monstrous aspect was completely unlike that of the apostle in question.

I thought that Apostle was always reffered to as the "alien" looking apostle because it resembles H.R. Gigers aliens. Forget where I read that.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I thought that Apostle was always reffered to as the "alien" looking apostle because it resembles H.R. Gigers aliens. Forget where I read that.

In any case it doesn't really look like it...

Aazealh said:

lol, whoops. Of course Casca as well. Duh. :???:

*shrugs* Yeah you're right, I suppose the more I look at her design, she doesn't really look like Medusa at all (the apostle definitely looks more physically imposing for a start, not to mention no snake hair). Dunno why she reminded me of Medusa to be honest, but at the time that I first saw her it was what I thought of.

Lets see, least favorite characters:

Out of the main cast: Schierke the witch. I just really don't connect to her. She isn't bad, just last in line.

Generally: Any one who puts their hands on Casca in a harmful manner. You know at first I really liked Berserk because Guts had a huge sword to kill people with. Now, its more so if someone tries mess with Casca...they get cut down by Guts and his huge sword. Guts killing those who cross Casca to me is like a welcoming cause and effect. One happens and you can't wait for the other follow. Rarely does one happen without the other.

Overall: I really disliked Wyald, I don't know exactly why. To me when I was reading the Manga for the first time, and inhindsight he seemed out of place. I mean Zodd was a positive stretch for when he showed up early on. But Wyald, he came in way too close to the eclipse in my opinion, I felt he would of fit in better after the eclipse. Its not a big deal but to me his little arc was a detour in the story that felt wasn't entirely necessary. That's just me. Honestly, I didn't care much for his character/monster design either.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
Lets see, least favorite characters:

Out of the main cast: Schierke the witch. I just really don't connect to her. She isn't bad, just last in line.

Generally: Any one who puts their hands on Casca in a harmful manner. You know at first I really liked Berserk because Guts had a huge sword to kill people with. Now, its more so if someone tries mess with Casca...they get cut down by Guts and his huge sword. Guts killing those who cross Casca to me is like a welcoming cause and effect. One happens and you can't wait for the other follow. Rarely does one happen without the other.

Overall: I really disliked Ward, I don't know exactly why. To me when I was reading the Manga for the first time, and inhindsight he seemed out of place. I mean Zodd was a positive stretch for when he showed up early on. But Ward, he came in way too close to the eclipse in my opinion, I felt he would of fit in better after the eclipse. Its not a big deal but to me his little arc was a detour in the story that felt wasn't entirely necessary. That's just me. Honestly, I didn't care much for his character/monster design either.
Wow man, I don't really know how we're supposed to take this post seriously...

So, by your logic, Guts is among your least favorite characters, since he attempted to rape Casca? He put his TEETH on her in a harmful manner. :beast:

I don't even know where to begin about "Ward" the apostle. :schierke:

So, by your logic, Guts is among your least favorite characters, since he attempted to rape Casca? He put his TEETH on her in a harmful manner.
Well of course not Guts. I "generally" dislike anyone who wants to mess with Casca. I don't hate Guts, I love Guts.

I still stand by my "Wyald" opinion.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
The characters of Berserk are insanely dynamic and develop so beautifully over the course of the story.

For instance, when I was first introduced to Farnese, I could easily say SHE was my least-favorite character. Even after the Farnese/Serpico story came out, I still did not like her too much. However, seeing her become more and more accepting of her fascination with Guts and wanting to contribute to his journey made me look at her in a different light. Her journey with Guts is her journey of self-discovery.

In a similar way, we can look at Guts. In the first 3 volumes, we are introduced to this crazy, vengeful dude with a big sword who hunts these demons. But, we do not know anything about him. We learn to love Guts more and more over the course of The Golden Age arc and it is through his interractions with his comerades that we know just how human he is. Later down the line, I was able to overlook his attempt to rape Casca! Now that's saying somethin' 'cause rape is nooo gooood.

Even a character like Pippin, who we never learn anything about, turns out to be awesome. And he rarely spoke and his eyes were rarely "open."

But, if there's one character who I find overall terrible, it would have to be Nina the prostitute. I found there to be nothing redeeming about her at all. Sure, there were tragic things happening to her, but she was downright pitiful. Not even compellingly pitiful.

Now, I hate Griffith. But I hate him as the greatest villain in comic history. I hate him in such a way that seeing his downfall will most likely be the most astounding moments ever. Just looking at Griffith stirs up all sorts of emotions. It is hard to argue that Griffith isn't a great character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom