Grail makes doodlies?!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Aw shucks, guys! :ganishka: Thanks again for the comments. I've actually gone back and made some minor additions to the comic, now that I've had more time to take another look at it. Most noticeably, I've reduced the max size so that it's easier to deal with when you zoom in. Otherwise, it's just tiny details that nobody will really care about (though it'll make me feel a lot better!).

Walter said:
You know Grail, your comic has me reconsidering the way the forum is laid out. There should be a better way to promote/highlight posts that are excellent. I don't want this awesome comic to get buried once the thread page advances... :sad:

That's very nice of you to say! :guts: I don't know much about that sort of thing, but I've seen that some boards utilize some sort of rating system for posts and threads.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Hey everybody, I'm back with a few doodles. The first is one that I came up with and finished in about a day (which is pretty odd for me, nowadays), and the other has been 2 years or so in the making. :carcus:

Dontlookdown.jpg

Pictured here is team Guts trying out a new method of long-distance transportation: the Serpicopter. You can also take it as a short visual essay about the relationships between the various characters.

GHRhapsody.jpg

Next, Darklink requested this ages and ages ago and I finally got around to finishing it. Thanks for being patient! :guts:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH GRAAAAIL :schnoz:
Thanks so much! I love it! I've forever wanted to see this and this makes my day. :guts:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Grail you're a damn genius. I love the coloring on the Serpicopter one. It's just a hilarious drawing.

The God Hand one is phenomenally awesome. I love the texture.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Thanks so much, everybody! I'm flattered to hear that you guys like these doodles enough to use them as backgrounds, though I'm sorry that the dimensions are kinda off for that. Maybe I'll make something specifically desktop-sized next time. :guts:

Casca got me in splits. The God Hand one is so darn rich in it's textures. How was it accomplished (in layman's terms)? Looks water-colored ^_^. Did you paint it or was this all on the computer?

Grail

Feel the funk blast
IncantatioN said:
The God Hand one is so darn rich in it's textures. How was it accomplished (in layman's terms)? Looks water-colored ^_^. Did you paint it or was this all on the computer?
It was all done digitally, yeah. The textured effect is a result of a few things:

First, I placed a free texture image that I've downloaded on top of the God Hand picture, and made it about 5% opaque so that you can just barely make it out. I also put that texture layer in "overlay" mode in Photoshop, which means that it doesn't obscure the actual God Hand image at all, but it still adds the texture.

Second, I applied a blur and a filter (I don't remember which one, exactly, but I think it might have been plastic wrap) onto a copy of the God Hand image, and took it down to 20% opacity so that the original image wouldn't be too heavily affected. Sometimes I like to mess around with different filters just to see what happens, and this time it turned out pretty well, so I kept it. :serpico:

Besides those two main things, I also do a lot of the coloring in a program called Paint Tool SAI. I think it handles the blur tool in a very appealing way (at least compared to Photoshop), so I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try digital artwork. To give you an example of how it works, I used SAI to create the clouds in the Serpicopter picture.

Hope that helps! :casca:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Apologies for the double post, folks! I've been working on a new Easter comic that I was hoping to share part of tonight, but due to some unexpected work-related stuff, it'll have to wait till a bit later this week. In the meantime, I thought I'd share a seasonal doodle. :griffnotevil:

SpringBreak_zps3c216105.png

Nothing like a time skip to bring out your latent alcoholism!

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
To this day, Grail, I think you draw the most adorable Berserk fan art. This is so great. The tiny beer cans on Isidro's baseball cap, Ivalera's disappointment, the bad teenage facial hair.

I love love LOVE your time skip Schierke. She's SO CUTE! I also want to drink out of a coconut with a silly straw.

As always, keep up the great work, Grail!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Thanks guys! I'm not sure if this counts as a "big" reveal, but it's something I hope you'll enjoy. :casca: There'll be several pages more, but here's the first part.

PAGE 1
PAGE 2
PAGE 3

Expect some more next week! :SK:

Haha can't wait for what's next.

Your drawing's so good, I dunno how you do it. The dialog, emotions, drawing and story is magic. Is this sketched on paper and scanned or a pen thingie with a tablet??

Top Bottom